4th Gen TL Doing Better than 3rd in JD Powers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up 4th Gen TL Doing Better than 3rd in JD Powers

According to the 2009 JD Powers Initial Quality Survey, the 2009 Acura TL is doing better than the previous generation which is pretty impressive when you take into account the usual 1st year gremlins:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/22/bes...rss_popstories
Standouts on the top-quality list include the Acura TL, Honda Pilot and Nissan Z, but several newly launched and redesigned models of 2009 also were surprise winners, since all-new models often lack the quality of the repeatedly updated cars that have been in the market for several years.
http://jalopnik.com/5299918/lexus-po...quality-survey
Many redesigned models in 2009 also show notable improvement from the previous generation-particularly the Acura TL, Ford F-150, Honda Pilot and Nissan Z.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
that's good to know. thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm, how come Acura now drop all the way below industry average???
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guytdt
Hmm, how come Acura now drop all the way below industry average???
That is just a stupid statement - with no tangible backup - to make.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PGSberg
That is just a stupid statement - with no tangible backup - to make.
Watch out your mouth man!
Google and see a tons of answer pouring into your brain. Don't be lazy. If you still be then just to let you know
Acura in 2009 is at ranking at 15th and below industry average.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDP considers the G tied for 2nd with it's mediocre-at-best interior quality. All you have to do is walk around a used Infiniti dealer and look at the leather and the paint chipping off the plastic. The CTS is miles above it in interior durability and fit and finish.

They're also ranking Hyundai at number four, which makes me wonder if they've been in any Hyundai aside from the Genesis Sedan, which could probably do with going back in the oven for a little while, but it's still a good car. I have big expectations for it in 4-5 years. The Elantra Touring is a $19,000 car and has a plastic steering wheel (among other mediocre amenities), yet Honda who goes above and beyond for interior quality in cheaper cars (see: Fit) is ranked equal with them in 'Body & Interior Quality - Design.'

What about their 'Powertrain Quality - Design' category?

The description is:

Powertrain Quality - Design: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems with the engine or transmission as well as problems that affect the driving experience (i.e., ride smoothness, responsiveness of the steering system and brakes, and handling/stability).
Honda gets three, Acura gets five. Nissan gets five, Infiniti gets three. VW gets five, Audi gets two.

Wait a second, that description looks really familiar...

Powertrain Quality - Mechanical: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems with the engine or transmission as well as problems that affect the driving experience (i.e., vehicle/brakes pull, abnormal noises or vibrations) only.
...in this section, Honda gets three, Acura gets three, Nissan gets three, Infiniti gets three, VW gets two, and Audi gets three.

Am I the only one who finds these two categories at least a bit similar?

Even more humerous is 'Overall Quality - Design.' Suzuki gets five, but Honda gets three. Lexus (their coveted number one) gets three, BMW gets two, while Hummer and Hyundai get five. While the Hummers aren't bad at all, having driven Hyundais (Elantra, Genesis, Tuscon) and Suzukis (XL7, SX4) their quality won't ever surpass BMW or Lexus in my mind, let alone Honda or Toyota.

In the end, the only conclusion I can come to is that they base their 'quality' off of is simply that unpainted plastic is durable.

If all they're talking about is mechanical repairs, then I've had a 96 Jeep since 97 that has never had a mechanical repair. Everything in the car still works just fine, even accessories. By their logic, Jeep should be #1 on that chart (at least back in 1996.)

I'm sorry, but I am incredibly skeptical of the supposed value that these charts hold.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have never been a big JD Powers fan as it looks ta the car early in its life, sure it captures the initial quality issues, but has no reflection on long term. That said I will say my 4G TL is leaps and bounds built better than any of my 3G TLs. I am at 6K miles and 5 months and slight back deck bussing and 1 rare squaek from B pillar, other than that this car is rock solid, a huge improvment for any Honda year 1 car!!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The IQS is based on owner reported problems or complaints so the mechanical study wouldn't be so reliable. If someone buys a $60k BMW and there are a few annoyances somebody is going to know about it. If one buys a Hyundai or Suzuki they know damn well what they got themselves into and there is no reason to complain. Design rankings would be more accurate.