Is the 4G TL a "men's car"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Is the 4G TL a "men's car"?

A colleague of mine was shopping for a new car for his wife. He said that he loved the new TL, but then his wife did not want to get it because she said that it looked like a "men's car". Actually, thinking about it, the new TL does have a very masculine styling profile. Do you agree? Did Acura target male buyers here?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura's target was men, from what S2000 driver posted here a week ago. The ES is a more women friendly design.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Here it is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...120&highlight=

The target buyer for the TL is expected to be a professional male in his mid 40s with a household income of about $100,000 per year, while the expected TL SH-AWD® target buyer is a professional male in his early 40s with a household income of over $150,000 per year.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
She was so right then! :-)

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Thanks! I guess she was absolutely right then! LOL
Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The only other 09 TL I have seen on the streets was driven by a woman
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
The only other 09 TL I have seen on the streets was driven by a woman
Me too lol. Saw my first one yesterday, in Brooklyn. Same color as mine (Grigio) except with parchment, FWD base model. She pulled right up next to my car in a parking lot. She was a middle aged (maybe 50) Hasidic Jewish woman. Talk about not fitting the profile!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
fwd tl is more feminine
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The most heavily "gendered" vehicles by far are the Lexus RX330/350 and the Volkswagen Beetle.....I would venture to say at least 80-90% of those vehicles are driven exclusively by women. If there is ever such a thing as a "man's" car, I would have to pick the Dodge Challenger and the new Chevy Camaro.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

they probibly market towards men because most middle aged women don't know what kind of car they are driving
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
TL Neophyte

Angry I can't believe you said that!

Originally Posted by 007Acura
they probibly market towards men because most middle aged women don't know what kind of car they are driving
Excuse me??? What an arrogant thing to say. I am a 40 year old professional FEMALE who made the decision, after considerable research, to purchase a TL. I knew as much or more about this car before making the purchase than the salesman did at the dealership. I'll have you know that my decision was not based on emotion but the quality, features, and price of this vehicle compared to the others in its class. After two months of ownership I can say I made the right decision. I love my TL and so does my husband. I would suggest that you keep in mind that women DO own this car and DO read the forum before you make ridiculous statements like that again.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PetesTL
The most heavily "gendered" vehicles by far are the Lexus RX330/350 and the Volkswagen Beetle.....I would venture to say at least 80-90% of those vehicles are driven exclusively by women. If there is ever such a thing as a "man's" car, I would have to pick the Dodge Challenger and the new Chevy Camaro.
Most CUVs are mom-mobiles. Soft lux cars like the ES appeal to women also. From a design perspective, just about the whole Lexus lineup is very feminine. Soft curves graceful lines... The Acura lineup is more edgy (ie masculine). But I believe that the last gen TSX was one of the number one female luxury vehicles, so generalizations can't be made .
Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Acuras Only in

Hey hey hey .... Pete, I resent your statement here ... LOL .... the excuse I gave to myself for driving my wife's RXH is that I won't let my baby girl messed up my fine leather in my TL from all those snacks & toys ... etc ...
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Nkgnito

I agree with msslp04, I am also a professional FEMALE who purchased the TL for the very same reasons. I find it a little funny that some would think it strange for a female to have the same taste in a car that is mainly targeted to men. Excuse me for not wanting to drive a car considered as "girlie" (ie. Volkswagon Beetle or Lexus RX330 or 350. lol
Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to hear from all the intelligent, beautiful women on the forum regarding whether they have bought a 4G TL, and also if they think it's a 'men's car'.

I think the look of the car works both ways. Some women may like a softer looking design, but then others, a masculine, powerful man.. I mean, car.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

To me, there's nothing "masculine" about the 4G at all. The fact that it lacks a manual (for now) and the relatively easy steering wheel effort and extra back-seat room makes the car more appealing to women and families in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
TL Neophyte

I can't say that the back seat room was a deal maker for me given that the only thing that goes in my back seat is a gym bag. For me, it was all about the horse power and the tech package. By the way, my first car(s) had manual transmissions so I have no concern about driving a stick. My husband and I agree that the men in this forum appear to know a lot about what is considered "feminine" about the car; apparently several of you are in touch with your feminine side. How nice.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Let 'em have it, msslp04!! I think the TL is a car lover's car, regardless of gender. I've spoken about "my" TL here, but it is my wife's DD. I snare it occasionally, but I am "Driver 2" status. She loves it!

She's moving from an RX350.... strangely I wouldn't be caught dead driving it. But, the TL is a WHOLE different story.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced

TL Masculine or Feminine, I sure love to see women at a red light with the same car as me. Often times it will invite a smile, wave, or even conversation....

So lets go girls, start buying 09 TL SH-AWD, it's safer than regular lol,
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
fwd tl is more feminine
Boy if that's not provoking an argument I don't what is? Mod's observe how I maintain composure. Hey 007Acura, I'm curious as to what you think is a "manly" car. I saw a old lady driving a Black Bently Contintental GT today, if that's a feminine car, I can't wait for my uterus! Your a dork for making those comments, especially if your wife, girlfriend or boyfriend could see it! LOL. How do you bitch slap in a thread? Way to go Msspl04, right on!

Last edited by bmode; 01-10-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
From my observation but, the RX400h will remain on my short list of cars that may replace my 05 Murano. And though the RX has a somewhat effeminate image, the RXH is definitely one of the quicker crossovers on the market so, stop light victories against most other crossovers will serve to compensate from the image.

Back on topic, I've observed an equal number of women and men driving the 3.2TL and 3G TL so, I suspect the same will go for the 4G. Therefore, I'll venture to say that the 4G TL is neither a man's or woman's car.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm watching the NFL playoffs tonight and I notice during each commercial break, the new Dodge Ram commercial......you talk about marketing a vehicle strictly for men, this is it.......a bunch of big, macho guys from the military, construction, and firemen competing against each other in an action-packed obstacle course. Now that I think of it, pickup trucks, and especially the heavy-duty ones, are indeed a "man's-man" vehicle if there ever was one. I don't think I have ever seen a woman driving a pick-up truck in my life.......but I'm in Chicago, so it might be different out in the farm country.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
everyday I see women pickup drivers in Tx. Here somedays my car might be the only non SUV or Pickup stopped a traffic light
Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Pro

My mother drives a 2G-TL, but is pretty indifferent about the car that she drives as long as it is reliable, has a decent backseat, and is relatively uncomplicated. By comparison, she considered the 2G TSX with tech that she recently received as a loaner to be too complicated.

Although some of the women in here are going apoplectic over the generalizations in this thread, Acura, like other companies, uses generalizations when marketing a product. There is a reason that commercials aired during the NFL playoffs will differ from those seen during Grey's Anatomy.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

All the 4G commercials I've seen so far have been gender-neutral, so I don't understand how Acura is supposedly marketing this car mainly for men. Compare this to a Dodge Ram or Ford F150 commercial where you can clearly see the intended audience.....and rightfully so, as over 90% of truck and pick-up buyers are men who are in the construction and similarly-related industries. I've read somewhere that the Lexus RX SUV's were originally designed with women in mind....for example, the designers intentionally placed the shifter on the dash console instead of on the floor so that they could create a space where women can conveniently place their purses when driving.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by msslp04
Excuse me??? What an arrogant thing to say. I am a 40 year old professional FEMALE who made the decision, after considerable research, to purchase a TL. I knew as much or more about this car before making the purchase than the salesman did at the dealership. I'll have you know that my decision was not based on emotion but the quality, features, and price of this vehicle compared to the others in its class. After two months of ownership I can say I made the right decision. I love my TL and so does my husband. I would suggest that you keep in mind that women DO own this car and DO read the forum before you make ridiculous statements like that again.
Originally Posted by bmode
Boy if that's not provoking an argument I don't what is? Mod's observe how I maintain composure. Hey 007Acura, I'm curious as to what you think is a "manly" car. I saw a old lady driving a Black Bently Contintental GT today, if that's a feminine car, I can't wait for my uterus! Your a dork for making those comments, especially if your wife, girlfriend or boyfriend could see it! LOL. How do you bitch slap in a thread? Way to go Msspl04, right on!
i'm just kidding,

no one can take a joke around here?
:gheylaugh
Old 01-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my favorite customers (because she reminds me of my grandmother) owns a white 2007 TL Type-S. That right there threw all car stereotypes out the window for me lol. Also, as I said in another post, the only other 09 TL owner I've seen in person yet was a 50 year old Hasidic Jewish woman. I rubbed my eyes and made sure I was awake lol, I couldn't believe it.

I still do feel though that cars have an inherent gender to them.

Sebring = Female
BMW M6 = Male
CR-V = Female
Audi A/S5 = Male

And so on. The TL is very agressive and bossy looking, as well as looking like it was beamed here from the future, or from space. Or from both lol. It's not passive in the least. Definitely a man, all the way. BUT...the real question is, would a woman look funny driving it? As funny as a man driving a VW Beetle? Absolutely not. Drive it with style msslp04, because I'm sure you look good in it =)
Old 01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

To me, the TL Type-S looks more masculine than the 4G (esp. the FWD version with the 17" rims). I think the red (Basque Red Pearl), Borealis Blue, and WDP makes the 4G look more feminine or at least more gender neutral in my opinion. When I was shopping for the 4G several months ago, I asked my dealer about the MDX and he said that 5X more women than men were buying them.......which to me was pretty interesting since I think the MDX is one of the more "masculine" looking SUV's out there.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Racer

One of the first comments I heard from my customers was that the 09 TL looks very "masculine" and "meaty".

The RDX...now THAT's a feminine vehicle...oh, and the CSX...if you live up here in Canada.

To all the female TL owners out there - it's goddamn sexy when you beat us off the line at a stop!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

I love my 4G TL Sh-AWD...& the dealership had NO problems with selling me my car. Acura may run ads during NFL games but they also run ads during daytime programing in-between ads for Weight Watchers and tampons. I saw the first ad for the new TL when I was waiting in the lobby at my doctor's office. And the new TL Sh-AWD blows my old 3G away! Long time Acura fan, can't beat Acura for reliability or the quality of the interior & features/electronics. Lots of horsepower is also a plus!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

007Acura, leave the jokes to the professionals and don't quit your day job. Your timing and delivery is way off if that was a joke!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I'd be more interested to see if the TL finds appeal with certain professions, rather than with a certain gender.

I remember a comparison test on Car and Driver quite a few years ago when the 3G TL was still very new, and they described the 2G TL as being the universal car for all real estate agents.

Is there really a common thread as to the types of professions that are more likely to find favour with a car like the 4G TL?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't get mad. They are just jealous of you because your annual income is higher than theirs.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I'd be more interested to see if the TL finds appeal with certain professions, rather than with a certain gender.

I remember a comparison test on Car and Driver quite a few years ago when the 3G TL was still very new, and they described the 2G TL as being the universal car for all real estate agents.

Is there really a common thread as to the types of professions that are more likely to find favour with a car like the 4G TL?
As far as the 3G, I've seen people anywhere from 16 years old to 80 years old driving in it. I personally know high school kids, college professors, doctors and hair dressers that own a 3G. I don't think that will change much with the 4G. The car occupys a price niche that is accessible by most people. If somebody really wants a 4G and they have the means, they'll find a way.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

+1

I see more women driving the 3G TL than ever before. I also parked next to a TypeS last night at the gym, as I was getting out the owner, a female, was getting in and she said this was her husbands car, and he gave it to her as he got a new Mercedes. So there you go.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I see the SH-AWD just as the 3G Type-S as more a man's car, the base TL will appeal to both, the angular lines may appeal more to men, but I see a ton of 3G TL being driven more by women, I could make a sexist comment here, but infer what you like.....
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Keith! I thought I was the only one noticing that. I think the 3G is the new Accord for America, it looks, drives, feels and performs great! The new Accord looks like a Hyundai, simple FUGLY, especially the back. OYE!

So the new TL is just a new car for now, nor masculine nor feminine, only time will tell.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bmode
Thanks Keith! I thought I was the only one noticing that. I think the 3G is the new Accord for America, it looks, drives, feels and performs great! The new Accord looks like a Hyundai, simple FUGLY, especially the back. OYE!

So the new TL is just a new car for now, nor masculine nor feminine, only time will tell.
Yeah the 3G TL was very common here in ATL, a dime a dozen I woudl see several every day. I loved the somewhat exclusive nature of the Type-S. I work in a complex with about 250 cars and there were 4 other 3G TLs, but mine was the only Type-S.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
TL Neophyte

Originally Posted by KeithL
I see the SH-AWD just as the 3G Type-S as more a man's car, the base TL will appeal to both, the angular lines may appeal more to men, but I see a ton of 3G TL being driven more by women, I could make a sexist comment here, but infer what you like.....
Can't wait for my wife to read this one! Do your knuckles scrape the ground when you walk??? I think you already inserted a sexist comment so.........

Kevin
Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Can't wait for my wife to read this one! Do your knuckles scrape the ground when you walk??? I think you already inserted a sexist comment so.........

Kevin
I don't think his knuckles drag, the cavewomen's head gets in the way! (badump bump) LOL, maybe he meant a 'more sexist' comment.... j/k Keith, I love ya!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Kevin

Hmm, don't see what there is so sexist, if you don't think the manufactuer does far more research into how their designs appeal to the sexes or how they target a car or advertising accordingly I think you might be a little sheltered ;-)