Is the 4G TL larger than the new RL???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is the 4G TL larger than the new RL???

i was at the dealership today and saw a new RL parked next to a new TL. i noticed that the TL is significantly larger than the RL. i was confused. can anyone explain this to me????
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
They are about the same size but RL hides its size very well.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 4G TL is very slightly shorter (195.3 vs 195.8) but wider than RL (74 vs 72.7).

That ought to give the impression that the TL is a bigger car.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I also went to the dealership today to check out the 4G TL, and it suddenly dawned on me that Acura is really trying to kill two birds with one stone. The RL has been a big disappointment, sales-wise, and the maturing TL clientele's needs are changing over time. This new TL effectively puts the series into a different market niche, somewhere between that which the previous TL occupied, and where the RL has been uncomfortably perched.

From the test drive I had with the AWD version of the car today, it seems the car isn't as overtly sporty as it used to be, and (plastic door handles and trim bits aside) is now leaning more heavily towards the luxury end of the scale. Acura has retained enough of a sporting character with most of the interior accoutrements, but the feel of the car seems a little more plush than it was in its previous guise.

None of the above is meant to be derisory on my part. They're merely observations. All in all, I thought the car was quite pleasant, albeit different from what I had expected.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I also went to the dealership today to check out the 4G TL, and it suddenly dawned on me that Acura is really trying to kill two birds with one stone. The RL has been a big disappointment, sales-wise, and the maturing TL clientele's needs are changing over time. This new TL effectively puts the series into a different market niche, somewhere between that which the previous TL occupied, and where the RL has been uncomfortably perched.

From the test drive I had with the AWD version of the car today, it seems the car isn't as overtly sporty as it used to be, and (plastic door handles and trim bits aside) is now leaning more heavily towards the luxury end of the scale. Acura has retained enough of a sporting character with most of the interior accoutrements, but the feel of the car seems a little more plush than it was in its previous guise.

None of the above is meant to be derisory on my part. They're merely observations. All in all, I thought the car was quite pleasant, albeit different from what I had expected.

I agree with your observations. I, too, think Acura is taking their TL and RL models into an entirely new direction. I think the next generation RL will be bigger, more powerful and marketed a little higher in the luxury segment scale. The 4G TL has it seems taken on more of the current RL's role emphasizing more luxury and comfort over sport....to the dismay of many of the previous-gen TL enthusiasts. Change isn't always easy...or welcome.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a feeling it was. i was just surprised because i always thought the RL was at the top of the pyramid then it was the TL then it was the TSX. it was weird because it felt like a 335i being larger than a 745i
Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,260 Likes on 2,631 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver

I think the first sign of this was when in 2007 Acura softened up the springs in the 3G TL in order to appeal to the masses who wanted a softer ride versus firm taunt suspension. As much as I love driving my TL, I can reconize that Acura is better off going for the Lexus GS market than the Lexus IS space (where sales have not been good).

I always thought the RL was not much larger than the 3G TL, but had more luxury appointments. Now with the size increase in the 4G TL, perhaps the next RL will be larger still with a V8 to compete against the LS460?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread as I was doing a comparison on both cars and wonder since the TL will be no longer manual drive I should consider a RL....almost the same price and is IMHO a more luxurious vehicle...( I said humble ... )
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
should i spend more in

Originally Posted by HEK
I'm resurrecting this thread as I was doing a comparison on both cars and wonder since the TL will be no longer manual drive I should consider a RL....almost the same price and is IMHO a more luxurious vehicle...( I said humble ... )
I thought a manual 6-speed was to be released in 2010???
Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
MT will be an option next year.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by paliknight
i had a feeling it was. i was just surprised because i always thought the RL was at the top of the pyramid then it was the TL then it was the TSX. it was weird because it felt like a 335i being larger than a 745i
I thought the tsx was the 3 series the TL the 5 and the RL the 7

the current RL is just a generation older (behind) the new TL
Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I've wondered of late why someone would pay $8K more for an RL with Tech. (~$50K base) vs. a TL SH-AWD w/Tech. (~$42K base)? I certainly can't justify it with cooled seats, a less powerful engine, and maybe, just maybe a slightly more luxury feel to the interior...am I completely off-base here?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Master47
I've wondered of late why someone would pay $8K more for an RL with Tech. (~$50K base) vs. a TL SH-AWD w/Tech. (~$42K base)? I certainly can't justify it with cooled seats, a less powerful engine, and maybe, just maybe a slightly more luxury feel to the interior...am I completely off-base here?
Some might want the more conservative looks, some might want the smoother ride, some might feel better because its Made in Japan.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The 10K price doesn't justify the amenities offered in my opinion. However, I think the RL with the Tech comes with the collision mitigation system. That system in itself may be $3-4K price difference if an option. The RL right now is a lame duck, awaiting for the MMC.

----------------
Now playing: Dr. Israel - Junglist
via FoxyTunes
Old 12-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JAB00
The 10K price doesn't justify the amenities offered in my opinion. However, I think the RL with the Tech comes with the collision mitigation system. That system in itself may be $3-4K price difference if an option. The RL right now is a lame duck, awaiting for the MMC.
Yeah, RL Tech has CMBS and run flats. Viewed this way, the extra goodies begin to justify the price - but only if you value these things. Remember that the RL just had its MMC and also that the actual selling price probably won't be $10,000 different.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I think the first sign of this was when in 2007 Acura softened up the springs in the 3G TL in order to appeal to the masses who wanted a softer ride versus firm taunt suspension.
I never thought my 04 or 06 were firm, I think the main reason they softened the 07 was to make more difference with the Type-S. They needed to make the 2 feel different, same way they are doing now with base vs. SH-AWD. Personally I don't need AWD, and wish the suspension in the SH were available without having to get another $3500 out of me. I'm curious to see where a Type-S falls as I'm sure there will be one in 2-3 years.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
I am not sure all these are included in RL. but Honda Legend has Flush side glass for reduce windnoise, illuminated door handles, Rims looks much better with body style, and active front lights , active noise cancellation system. electric rear sunshade, power head rests, heated rear seats etc.

I will replace the grill of RL with Legend. It look like a big TSX from previous generation. which is fine.

Last edited by SSFTSX; 12-25-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
This is the reason they aren't selling, the pricing is too high for the product. The RL is a very nice car, it lacks on paper but when you sit in one and drive one, it competes very fiercely with its competitors. For the 12K extra, you get quite a bit:
Active Front Lighting
Active Cruise Control
Collision Mitigation System
Cooled Seats (front)
Higher Quality interior
Higher Quality exterior (tighter body gaps, good, thick paint, etc)
Better Sound Insulation
and some other stuff...
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Originally Posted by ggesq
MT will be an option next year.
I hope you're right ...wifey and I were comparing the RL and TL and being that the TL is no longer a manual....she is talking me into test driving the RL...personally since I drive the Rubicon most of the time and have my '05 TL for her to drive if she needs to but otherwise just sits in the garage for me to drive in the Summer ...I will consider waiting if indeed you have some proof of this...thanks...
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HEK
I will consider waiting if indeed you have some proof of this...thanks...
See, this is why they show it early - to "freeze" potential buyers and keep them from going elsewhere!
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/699/releases/4786
Old 12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I test drove the '09 RL briefly before buying my 4G SH-AWD. The handling and acceleration wasn't as good as the TL and didn't feel all that much quieter either. The ride was a little softer on the RL, and the interior had more wood obviously. However, to me, it was definately not worth the $10K premium over the TL. Value, which in my opinion is a key factor in all Honda/Acura products, is missing in the RL....thus the poor sales. I asked my salesman at that time how many they've sold so far, and he said only 1 since the time of its release.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RL needs to be stretched 10 inches to makes sense in Acura's lineup. It's a very nice car, but it's not highly competitive in it's segment and the TL is currently stomping on it's toes.

A 200+ inch long RL with a V8 (or even turboed J37) would be great. The only concern as of now is whether RWD is still a go (considering the recent demise of the NSX...).