4G Owners pass on wisdom please

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4G Owners pass on wisdom please

I am a current owner of a 2005 Acura TL with 135k miles. Love the my ride, even though the transmission cost me big bucks recently. From the day I purchased my 05 in 2001 to today I could pass on a few nuggets of wisdom to others that would consider buying an 05 TL.
My most painful nugget to pass on to potential buyers would be "DONT PUT NOTHING ON YOUR DASHBOARD". Yes, I cracked my dashboard by putting some armor all like chemicals on it (the week I bought it), still hurts my hear today that I did that. And Yes, I read the warnings out on this forum to take caution, unfortunately after the damage was done.

So with that said...If your a current G4 TL owner could post 1-3 things (short bullets) on your purchasing and owning experiences... Please ;-)
(Even if redundant in other threads)

For example:
  • Burning oil consumption - change oil when at 50% (or check monthly)
  • Dashboard maintenance - No chemicals - damp rag with water only
  • Gas mileage enhancement - ????
Thanks,

jayfromva
Old 07-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
You purchased an '05 TL in 2001? You must have had the prototype or something

I owned an '06 TL, the one in my profile pic. I loved it. It was a 6MT but I ended up wrecking it. Now I own a 2012.

I own the FWD version, but some AWD owners might tell you:
  • The AWD system is magic. Possibly the best AWD system available on the market including BMW's XDrive and Merc's 4Matic.
  • Potential oil consumption problem with the 3.7L engine due to the chance in cylinder liners. This is usually addressed by simply adding oil when needed.
  • Potential propeller shaft bearing issue. This required a replacement of the propeller shaft which is typically >$1000
With the FWD:
  • Torque steer isn't as bad as the 3G but still there with the FWD.
  • VASTLY improved suspension and stereo over the 3G
  • Not nearly as many rattles as the 3G
The last two points apply to the AWD as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Love it:

1. If you want to really feel the SH-AWD system work its magic, you need to turn off the nanny controls. With those off and your foot planted to the floor, you'll get to oversteer and it's easy as pie to leave it right on that edge. So, the power train (3.7 w/AWD) is one of the best out there and will probably outlast the rest of the car - and I've not had any issue with oil burning.

2. The sound system in the TL tech package is magnificent. It's a generation ahead of the system in my $84,000 LS460, not even close. That's an embarrassment for the Lexus.

3. NVH is noticeable compared to the LS but it's not really a fair comparison. The 460 will porpoise along back roads with huge body lean and constant complaints from the tires. The SH-AWD TL takes those same roads at much higher speeds without even breaking a sweat. The trade off is the TL is stiffer and transmits more road noise in to the cabin.

Hate It

1. I've got no good choice from Acura for a replacement, I don't even see anything in the pipeline from acura to give me hope. The TLX is just too small for me at the moment.

2. Not as tight as a drum at 50K mikes. Some rattles in the dash but I just turn the sound up a bit.

3. Some of the cheaper pieces age quickly. The grill for example is a cheap chrome wrap that once a stone hits it starts to bubble and flake.

Last edited by WNY PAT; 07-11-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
  • Mods are few and far between and, where available, not cheap for the power you gain
    • Counterpoint: tune, j-pipe and K&N drop-in gets you immense fun for not silly money
  • I've had my car since 78k miles, 120k on the clock. I'm adding MORE to it now than ever and finally treating her as best as I possibly can. All I've had to do so far was routine maintenance which isn't exactly cheap on a car like this but also, not unexpected.
    • To echo WNY's point, there's no good replacement at this point. If/when I drive the wheels off mine, I'll get another 6MT with lower mileage.
    • Side note - my time with my 4G TL is the longest I have EVER owned a car. Ever. I've considered replacements but they just don't tick all the boxes like my 10 SH-AWD 6MT. Previous car was a 3G TL, so I know where you're at.
  • Sound system is amazing in the Tech package, and this is coming from a guy with a 10k+ 2-channel system in his basement and who started his "career" in car audio. Can it be better? Sure. But it'll cost you a fortune and get you incremental gains
  • Bonus - I replaced my fog light assembly on the passenger side tonight. That sucked. Maybe it was the heat/humidity that made it so bad, I'm not sure, but it is not something I ever want to do again unless I'm taking the entire front bumper off.

Good luck!!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:56 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG... A bunch of typos in my post the YEAR I bought the car is funny tho...LOL

Thanks for you input