4G Beak wear and tear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
4G Beak wear and tear

Are the 4G beaks (grille) painted at the factory or are they covered/wrapped with some type of "foil" material? Due to rock chips, and the like, My beak is pitting and peeling in places, but the material doesn't seem like paint to me. It seem like aluminum foil like material.
I'm asking because I'm trying to decide whether this is something a body shop can remedy, or if it's best to just buy a new beak kit soon. I figure if I have two beaks, I can always have a fresh one on the car, and get the worn/damaged one repaired/refaced at a body shop.

I'm not interesting in painting the beak if that's not how it comes OEM. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
It's plastic chrome. You have a couple of options...

1. OEM or OEM Midnight Black Grill - https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...ilable-759763/

2. Paint it or wrap it (black) or color match it. I find if the car is 'lighter' in color, the silver shield is a bit more disceet. If you have a darker color, it stands out.

3. You can also try getting a Ron Jon Grill. https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...nstall-937100/
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
2010 Acura TL Grille Ron Jon Style | eBay
Old 09-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by edog76
Are the 4G beaks (grille) painted at the factory or are they covered/wrapped with some type of "foil" material? Due to rock chips, and the like, My beak is pitting and peeling in places, but the material doesn't seem like paint to me. It seem like aluminum foil like material.
I'm asking because I'm trying to decide whether this is something a body shop can remedy, or if it's best to just buy a new beak kit soon. I figure if I have two beaks, I can always have a fresh one on the car, and get the worn/damaged one repaired/refaced at a body shop.

I'm not interesting in painting the beak if that's not how it comes OEM. Thank you.
Same with mine, its almost like a sticky aluminum foil wrapped material and its starting to peel away near the hood. I ordered a china sport mesh grill and still need to have it painted along with my bumper. The stock grill that I'm taking off I'm thinking of having that aluminum foil stuff taken off, painted or wrapped if the mesh grill looks like crap.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
factory coating may be a plated chrome finish with some flex additives. Cheapest solution is to wrap it, second cheapest would be to take it off and have a bodyshop paint it for around $100.

Totally worth it to put a 3M clearbra over the painted grille to avoid future damage.