400 HP TL in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400 HP TL in the works?

The NSX lives, the underlying platform is surprising... whats the likelihood of the engine making its way to the TL?

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ife/index.html
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Type-S TL

Even though this is being discussed in the Off Topic area, I am leaving it open because the OP also asked this question:

Originally Posted by miketala
whats the likelihood of the engine making its way to the TL?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

that would be sick
Old 11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I would hope they don't call it the Type-S (maybe Advance or something), but the name doesn't mean much to be anyway. I could get into a 400 hp 50K TL AWD if it didn't have a CVT, given that we probably will get some nice upgrades for the 2012 TL that are badly needed.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
If it does make it into the TL, say goodbye to paying under 50k for one. I'd bet if we do see this in the future, its' going to jack the price by a hefty $$$. That plus the advance package, and you could be paying upwards of 55k for an Acura. I love these cars, but at that price, no thanks, there are many other cars I would buy instead.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
If it does make it into the TL, say goodbye to paying under 50k for one. I'd bet if we do see this in the future, its' going to jack the price by a hefty $$$. That plus the advance package, and you could be paying upwards of 55k for an Acura. I love these cars, but at that price, no thanks, there are many other cars I would buy instead.
Indeed. At that price, a whole world of cars opens up. Even if acura still has the "best bang for your buck" it's still relative, you'd be paying $55k for an acura. Paying $55k+ doesn't seem like a value proposition to me.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Indeed. At that price, a whole world of cars opens up. Even if acura still has the "best bang for your buck" it's still relative, you'd be paying $55k for an acura. Paying $55k+ doesn't seem like a value proposition to me.
I agree 100%. I'd definitely want one, but wouldn't get one.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I agree, it'll be a tough choice.

IF (and a big IF) the TL came w/400HP V6 at a price of $55k, I would spring for the S4 (with Stasis )

...Unless Acura comes up with a smoking hot design language (like the proposed NSX)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
not happening

2012 TL will be same as this one, with

- 6AT
- New Grille
- New bumpers
- "Maybe" adjusted headlights

- Advance Package option
- CMBS
- ACC
- NO adjustable suspension

Trim levels will probably be

FWD
FWD Tech
AWD
AWD Tech
AWD Advance
AWD Tech Advance
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Does that mean that the TL will be $6050 more with an Advance package like the ZDX is? Are we then talking about a $50,000 TL?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
not happening

- 6AT
- New Grille
- New bumpers

- Advance Package option
- CMBS
- ACC

FWD
FWD Tech
AWD
AWD Tech
AWD Advance
AWD Tech Advance
Yes I would agree. But this drivetrain in the new RL is much more likely.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glashub
Does that mean that the TL will be $6050 more with an Advance package like the ZDX is? Are we then talking about a $50,000 TL?
Nah I think the adjustable suspension alone is at least worth $1,000. Look for something closer to a $4-4.5k bump IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 AM
I have car ADD

Yup. fully loaded, MSRP will be about $49k

Also, electronic-retractable mirrors are a possibility
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Yup. fully loaded, MSRP will be about $49k

Also, electronic-retractable mirrors are a possibility
Okay. Thanks. $49,000 brings a new level of cars into consideration. Not sure I'd pay $49,000 for a TL. Just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Okay. Thanks. $49,000 brings a new level of cars into consideration. Not sure I'd pay $49,000 for a TL. Just my opinion.
You're not the only one. I sure wouldn't pay that either. Considering we are just seeing the patent application now for this alleged 400hp v6 I doubt we'll see it make it's way to the TL for many years. In all likelihood, they'll put it in the RL when it comes unless they decide to kill off the RL.

As it is, 41k is about the max I would pay for a TL. Once you start getting into the 50's a whole new world of cars come into play.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Spoken like a true poseur, lol!

*edit* Wow, bunch of poseurs in here!

Last edited by vybzkartel; 11-23-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The J motor is overdue for a makeover; perhaps they're working on a 4 cam replacement finally. The 4 liter variant being the big power pump at 400 ponies would make a 300HP 3 Liter and 350hp 3.5 liter variant pretty realistic.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Say Hello to the 5th gen TL's new motor.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

Seems to be a lot of, "I bought my Acura due to 'bang for the buck'" going on in here. Booooooo on all that $hizz. I bought the TL because I think it was the best sports sedan for me, period, regardless of cost. Only cars I might compare would be the 335ix (better engine, worse in every other parameter) and S4 (comparable in many ways, but after my negative durability experiences with VWs I wouldn't buy one). Of course, I am not going to complain about the fact that my better car was also cheaper, but price was not the determining factor. About the only things I would trade my TL for are an M3 (obviously a whole different class of vehicle) or..... another TL with MORE POWER (see, this post is on-topic after all).
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Also seems to be a whole lot of bias in here

I can understand the concept of shying away from a manufacturer if you got a bad car from them.... but I don't understand the concept of loyalty to a manufacturer. To a specific dealership, sure.... but nobody at Acura really gives a crap who buys their cars, as long as people are buying them.

I think what a lot of people are arguing is that the 4G TL is highly competitive in its price range. But at the $50k+ range there's a LOT of competition out there.

Nobody is a poseur.... you can still buy a BMW, MB, Lexus, etc. at $35k.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Cruisin'

Obviously the car thing is a subjective experience, so bias goes with the territory. I don't know about poseurs, but I do feel based on my experience driving everything in this segment that the TL is the best option, again for me and so I think people sell it short when they describe it as a "bang for the buck" decision. Yes, it has great bang for the buck, but that has as much to do with the huge bang as the (relatively) small buck.

Last edited by TandooriChicken; 11-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TandooriChicken
Obviously the car thing is a subjective experience, so bias goes with the territory. I don't know about poseurs, but I do feel based on my experience driving everything in this segment that the TL is the best option, again for me and so I think people sell it short when they describe it as a "bang for the buck" decision. Yes, it has great bang for the buck, but that has as much to do with the huge bang as the (relatively) small buck.
Spoken like a non-poseur, wise man, lol
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

FWD
FWD Tech
AWD
AWD Tech
AWD Advance
AWD Tech Advance
And let's hope Acura isn't dumb and decides to nix the under-sized 17" wheels on the FWD models. Put the base SH-AWD 18"s on all the FWD models, then the optional 19"s standard on the SH-AWD TLs. How it should've been in the first place. The difference in appearance between all those wheels makes the car look completely different.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 AM

As you said and I mentioned, it's highly competitive in this price range. I think naturally though as price goes up, people want more prestige. As an example, the C6 Corvette is around $50k. I think it's highly competitive in that price bracket, as do many others, as the sales numbers show. But when it comes to the ZR1, as much as I like it, I think I would lean more towards a 911 GT3. Or maybe spring a little more for an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I personally don't care about what other think about what I drive but I can't guarantee that as the price of my car goes up that I'll still feel the same way.

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Spoken like a non-poseur, wise man, lol
If you win the lottery tomorrow and still want to drive your 4G TL into the ground, that's fine I think I can safely say the rest of us "poseurs" would start looking into alternative choices.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I grew up in Detroit where everybody was loyal to the big 3. Then we all know the kind of cars they started bringing to the market. Many still bought big 3 no matter what and missed out on great rides from other manufacturers. What they had from the big 3 were terrible cars from arrogant, self-serving corps. I'm not saying Honda is anything like the big 3 or that it ever will be but I am not brand loyal as a result of what I saw in Detroit. I saw the damage done by the big 3 to people who are brand loyal. That said my last 3 cars have been Acuras. I buy them not because they are cutting edge and always top 10 car of the year...because they're not. I buy them becuase they can approximate everything the Germans are doing while providing tier 1 reliability and resale.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Pro

If I won the lotto, I wouldn't be buying any low end BMW, M-B, Lexus, etc, fo sho!

If I need an SUV? It'd be an MDX....not even a Range!(those are for poseurs, lol)
A sedan? I'd go for the LS. (Acura currently don't have an equal!)

But why, when I could afford an Aston?! There's no NSX!

Last edited by vybzkartel; 12-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Not only would it be out of my budget, $50k is too much for transportation. There are other priorities in life like my children and my home.

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Spoken like a true poseur, lol!

*edit* Wow, bunch of poseurs in here!
I'm no angel, I've made several negative comments towards AZ members. However, for you^ I have saved this,
If you were twice as smart, you would still be stupid.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Also seems to be a whole lot of bias in here

I can understand the concept of shying away from a manufacturer if you got a bad car from them.... but I don't understand the concept of loyalty to a manufacturer. To a specific dealership, sure.... but nobody at Acura really gives a crap who buys their cars, as long as people are buying them.

I think what a lot of people are arguing is that the 4G TL is highly competitive in its price range. But at the $50k+ range there's a LOT of competition out there.

Nobody is a poseur.... you can still buy a BMW, MB, Lexus, etc. at $35k.

Hence the is Acurazine: The unofficial Acura enthusiast resource. Not BMW, not Lexus, not Infiniti...brand loyalty exist in all markets. I like Coke more than Pepsi because I have this thing called a preference because their products fit the type of vehicle I desire more than GM, Ford, Nissan, Lexus...or other brands. I've owned Honda, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Acura and Ford to name a few auto manufactures. I've only owned Acura/Honda products twice. I have to admit, Ford would be the only American car maker I was remotely attracted to. Shopped the new Camaro but just couldn't get my head wrapped around a GM product. Car manufactures car..if they don't they suffer. It may not be on the level of caring we think they should but having worked in manufacturing biz, you have to...to a point.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I'm no angel, I've made several negative comments towards AZ members. However, for you^ I have saved this,
If you were twice as smart, you would still be stupid.
Thanks......professor!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
not happening

- 6AT
- New Grille
- New bumpers

- Advance Package option
- CMBS
- ACC

FWD
FWD Tech
AWD
AWD Tech
AWD Advance
AWD Tech Advance
where'd ya pull that one out of??
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I have car ADD

the new grille and bumpers has been seen in "spy-photos"

acura always tends to "adjust" their headlights for MMC (2G TL, 3G TL... 2G RL) usually by adding a darker sportier version

6AT is like 95% a-go... i talked to my dealership (and im not some shmuck who talks to their dealer and thinks i know everything).. i have a unique relationship with my dealer... i buy a new acura every 12-16 months. they dont need to pull my chain

CMBS/ACC is almost a definite too... to go with their "advanced" package

ill check back in this thread in 3 months to see if i was right lol
Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree with you! If you want to talk about "Bang for the Buck" the only car that comes to mind IMO is the latest Maxima. That is a LOT of car for the money. It has class and has power. I have owned 2 Maximas in the past and had good experiences with both of them. Tried really hard to buy another, but just wasn't in the cards.
That being said, I think the TL is also a lot of car for the maney and a good price for the segment. But I think it has a sophistication that cars like the Maxima just don't have. I really consider it a Luxury car.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

CMBS/ACC is almost a definite too... to go with their "advanced" package

ill check back in this thread in 3 months to see if i was right lol
I'm willing to bet (and hoping) blind spot assist will be included in the advance package. I think Acura needs to keep the top of the line TL well under $45k. A mid 35K car is one thing, 45K gets into other territory real quick.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjTL
I'm willing to bet (and hoping) blind spot assist will be included in the advance package. I think Acura needs to keep the top of the line TL well under $45k. A mid 35K car is one thing, 45K gets into other territory real quick.
This.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Hence the is Acurazine: The unofficial Acura enthusiast resource. Not BMW, not Lexus, not Infiniti...brand loyalty exist in all markets. I like Coke more than Pepsi because I have this thing called a preference because their products fit the type of vehicle I desire more than GM, Ford, Nissan, Lexus...or other brands. I've owned Honda, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Acura and Ford to name a few auto manufactures. I've only owned Acura/Honda products twice. I have to admit, Ford would be the only American car maker I was remotely attracted to. Shopped the new Camaro but just couldn't get my head wrapped around a GM product. Car manufactures car..if they don't they suffer. It may not be on the level of caring we think they should but having worked in manufacturing biz, you have to...to a point.
The bias towards Acura, admittedly, is not surprising. What is surprising is there are some members who act as if Acura's bang-for-the-buck aspect should not factor in a purchasing decision..... when that is one of Acura's strongest points.

Brand loyalty is an ugly thing, is all. Some people may not think so, but I'm sure they would if their wife were loyal to Tiffany & Co., Gucci, Fendi and Prada
Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
$50k !!!!!!!

My wife has a 2009 TSX, 200hp Four! But when they added in a V6 the price jumped $5500! So why get a TSX for $37500 when you can get a TL-SHAWD for just a few thousand more! So if the TL becomes a $50K car, why not move up to a RL??? Or why not move over to BMW, Lexus or other cars.... I paid $38900 in February for my SH-AWD Tech and at that price I Never Looked Back...
Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
My wife has a 2009 TSX, 200hp Four! But when they added in a V6 the price jumped $5500! So why get a TSX for $37500 when you can get a TL-SHAWD for just a few thousand more! So if the TL becomes a $50K car, why not move up to a RL??? Or why not move over to BMW, Lexus or other cars.... I paid $38900 in February for my SH-AWD Tech and at that price I Never Looked Back...
I agree, I love my TL but if I'm going to choose between a BMW at 50K or an 50K Acura???????

I might just go for the BMW.......
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

The 50K Acura better do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and a standing 1/4 in low 12s with room for the wife, kids, luggage, and shoulder room for an offensive lineman. Being a Honda/Acura product, one would assume it would need to get in the neighborhood of 30mpg hwy as well.

Has anyone actually sat/driven/ridden in the newer BMW/Benz offerings? They've got a horsepower edge and a brand premium markup price-tag. They're not really any nicer inside than the TL. BMW's new LED interior thing is cool and trendy - but you can get that on about any Ford now too.

Aside from the performance issue...Acura adds the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, power telescoping, adaptive cruise, a HUD and a bit more padding under the leather - they're more than ahead of the game.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
The 50K Acura better do 0-60 in under 5 seconds and a standing 1/4 in low 12s with room for the wife, kids, luggage, and shoulder room for an offensive lineman. Being a Honda/Acura product, one would assume it would need to get in the neighborhood of 30mpg hwy as well.

Has anyone actually sat/driven/ridden in the newer BMW/Benz offerings? They've got a horsepower edge and a brand premium markup price-tag. They're not really any nicer inside than the TL. BMW's new LED interior thing is cool and trendy - but you can get that on about any Ford now too.

Aside from the performance issue...Acura adds the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, power telescoping, adaptive cruise, a HUD and a bit more padding under the leather - they're more than ahead of the game.
Yes. I assume you mean the A6, 5-Series, E-Class. Been in all of them and only the new BMW I haven't driven. They're all quite a bit nicer inside. Worth the premium? Well that's subjective I suppose.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

I test drove an 08 or 09 CLS-500 before buying the TL. Friends at work round out das Germans with an 08 A4 and an 09 3.35. The Benz was quite plain inside - though comfortable. I don't really care for the interior styling of the BMW at all - and the Audi, much sportier feel - like the red, but the leather isn't any better than the Acura and the plastics/ interior finish maybe nominally.

Quick Reply: 400 HP TL in the works?