2nd Test Drive - Have annoyances, need solutions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2nd Test Drive - Have annoyances, need solutions...

So I took a second test drive of a '12 SH-AWD 6MT. There were a few things that bothered me even more than the first time I drove the TL and I wanted to see what solutions there might be.

First is the display for the audio, time and climate controls.

I am used to and really like the way my Maxima uses the entire screen to display the climate control and stereo information (see pictures)

whereas the TL crams all the info into that little LCD strip

which I find to be more difficult to quickly glance at.

Is there any way to make any of that information appear on the large navi/info screen?

Second, the anti-whiplash headrest was really annoying, as I constantly felt it against the back of my head. I even tried to reverse it, but that allowed too much backwards head movement. Any solution to this?

Finally, the little compartment in the center armrest fits my phone just fine, but when it is open, it is difficult to access the larger center console. When closed, there is really no way to keep my phone plugged in for power. I would prefer not to have to use the cupholders to keep my phone in. Is anyone using aftermarket phone mounts with any satisfaction?

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I don't know what to tell you about the display. The Nav screen does not display the climate control. For me, all I need to know is.. outside temp and then set my interior temp to auto..... and forget it. If watching the temp display is that important to you, then the TL won't fit the bill.

The console has a power connection that I use the USB charger adapter and then run the cable out of the console plugged into my phone laying in the sliding armrest tray. Easy as pie.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Every different brands of new cars have their pluses and minuses, especially if you're used to your existing car and are comparing between the new and the old.

There's no way to adjust the TL navi screen to display info like for the Maxima. Only the new Maxima will fare a better chance of the navi screen displaying the same info as the older Maxima.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
You have/had wood grain...No one can help you
Old 10-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
You have/had wood grain...No one can help you
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Shappy...the top and bottom image is a good reason in itself for switching over to the TL. I sooooo dislike the interior of the Nissan/Infiniti, that analog clock is just wrong, the climate knobs just turn me off and the semi flap horizontal area below the NAV screen is just nasty. Mind you, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so I am not trying to be rude but for me, I just love the interior of the TL so much more....and drive it at night and the light display is enough to make you fall in love all over again!

As far as the NAV screen, as others have said, you can't display the whole information in one shot but you certainly can use the NAV screen to display the music information.

As far as the headrest, I was wondering if trying to tilt the seat silghty backward would help. I can appreciate how headrest can be annoying. When we bought our RAV4 (secondary vehicle), at first, the headrest was simply driving me nuts but tilting the seat made it that much better and now, I don;t notice it anymore. I will say that I ADORE the TL seat sooooo much but its all based on your height and body shape.

Best of luck
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
get a different car
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Shappy...the top and bottom image is a good reason in itself for switching over to the TL. I sooooo dislike the interior of the Nissan/Infiniti, that analog clock is just wrong, the climate knobs just turn me off and the semi flap horizontal area below the NAV screen is just nasty. Mind you, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so I am not trying to be rude but for me, I just love the interior of the TL so much more....and drive it at night and the light display is enough to make you fall in love all over again!

As far as the NAV screen, as others have said, you can't display the whole information in one shot but you certainly can use the NAV screen to display the music information.

As far as the headrest, I was wondering if trying to tilt the seat silghty backward would help. I can appreciate how headrest can be annoying. When we bought our RAV4 (secondary vehicle), at first, the headrest was simply driving me nuts but tilting the seat made it that much better and now, I don;t notice it anymore. I will say that I ADORE the TL seat sooooo much but its all based on your height and body shape.

Best of luck

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My girl has a nissian murano and the thing I hate is the Nissian and Infiniti interior dash looks the same. The old looking nobs and clock is not modern
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Chase...I agree with you - I hate that the Nissan and Infiniti looks almost exactly the same. I think that the Acura's and Honda's look different enough inside to tell them apart. Sure they have some common feel and switches but overall, the two are alot more apart than Nissan/Infiniti, especially when you look at the Maxima and G37.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by chase101381
My girl has a nissian murano and the thing I hate is the Nissian and Infiniti interior dash looks the same. The old looking nobs and clock is not modern
If you think the Maxima and G interiors look the same, then the Accord and Acura interiors must look the same also.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Best of luck
I dunno, I can't seem to agree but as you said YMMV. I rented the G for a week and fell in love with it's strengths, very few negatives, which is the reason I ended up buying it over every car I test drove and cars that I thought about test driving.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I sit with my seat back farther than the average Joe, so these headrests are perfect for me. I've heard others complain about them though, or discuss how their significant others with pony tails hate them.

As far as the display though, I think that's something you'd get used to.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by g37guy01
I dunno, I can't seem to agree but as you said YMMV. I rented the G for a week and fell in love with it's strengths, very few negatives, which is the reason I ended up buying it over every car I test drove and cars that I thought about test driving.
AHA! Do I detect TL envy? Could be.. could be
Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by stew4hd
i don't know what to tell you about the display. The nav screen does not display the climate control. For me, all i need to know is.. Outside temp and then set my interior temp to auto..... And forget it.
+1
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
i hear you on the headrest. the solution is simple. get the black interior. then get a headrest from a 2004 to 2008 acura or honda accord. easy and cheap on ebay. it fits right in easily. problem solved!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Frankly, anyone who would buy a 6MT is not going to be concerned about such bullshit.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
AHA! Do I detect TL envy? Could be.. could be
What you detect is 335 envy, that's a different story however.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
If you think the Maxima and G interiors look the same, then the Accord and Acura interiors must look the same also.
The dashes in the Maxi an G are very similar. Accord and TL, not really. Either way, I love the interior of the G and Maxima.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sooooo dislike the interior of the Nissan/Infiniti, that analog clock is just wrong, the climate knobs just turn me off and the semi flap horizontal area below the NAV screen is just nasty.
I love the signature Infiniti analog clock. It adds a beautiful touch to the car.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by chase101381
Other than the navigation screen/control, the rest of the dash don't look the same between Nissan and Infiniti.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cjTL
The dashes in the Maxi an G are very similar. Accord and TL, not really. Either way, I love the interior of the G and Maxima.

Thanks for the pics, but im seeing that similarity between the accord and TL. I guess there is a similarity with the brushed aluminum on the g to the max now that ive see them like that side by side, but I have the rosewood accents, which are completely different in terms of the tone of the interior.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyBeing
I love the signature Infiniti analog clock. It adds a beautiful touch to the car.
I think the clock is low tech embarrassing and since Nissan does not offer a manual in a AWD drive car it is not even in the same league.
The following users liked this post:
nj2pa2nc (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
I think the clock is low tech embarrassing and since Nissan does not offer a manual in a AWD drive car it is not even in the same league.
Thats right, Infiniti is not on par, they can't even make a digital clock.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HappyBeing
Thats right, Infiniti is not on par, they can't even make a digital clock.
The digital clock is on the screen, which can be turned on and off via the preferences.

The analog clock, imo, adds a touch of class and at night has a really cool look about it.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

How does an analog clock add a touch of class? It's not a Rolex clock.... Is it because Lincoln's have used them for many years?

I never understood why people think it's classy to have one.
Shellyduchsk8s (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

How does an analog clock add a touch of class? It's not a Rolex clock.... Is it because Lincoln's have used them for many years?

I never understood why people think it's classy to have one.
In living in a digital world, it's nice to see something non-digital, even though there is a digital quartz movement driving the thing.

Interiors are subjective. The clock is not a deal maker or deal breaker for me. But I can totally turn off the nav display and still see the time.

I like it. I understand YMMV, but can't understand why you wouldn't want one.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
7th Gear

The digital clock is on the screen, which can be turned on and off via the preferences.

The analog clock, imo, adds a touch of class and at night has a really cool look about it.
Of course, I was joking Infiniti cannot make digital clock. :-)

I have the same feeling about the analog clock adds a nice touch.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
This whole clock thing is very subjective. Many high end vehicles use analog clocks in their vehicles for that classy, luxurious look. When you go out to a high end/Gala type event you see most people wearing analog type watches and not digital, so it is a classy more conservative approach.

Personally the TL's interior design isnt that classy, conservative approach. It's design is more of a liberal, sport oriented approach and IMO an analog clock would look out of place amoung the clutter of buttons in the dash.

I would disagree though with the G not being in the same league as the TL just because it doesnt offer a manual, in reality it could be the opposite.

Someone posted stats in the previous TL vs G37 thread of the 4G 6MT with the HPT package against the G37Xs (7AT) with common M&S tires. The performance stats clearly show the G while using a slushbox produced the same performance results as the Honda (except in the handling due to the obvious reasons). Now compare the 4G SH-AWD 5 or 6AT to other vehicles like the G37 (AT) or the Audi S4 (AT) etc, etc and you quickly see my point

When you realise that the vast majority of sales are AT's one could easily say that the TL isnt in the same league as the G from a performance standpoint.....

Last edited by cp3117; 10-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Huh? Do you just make this up as you go?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
The S-Class has one, the benchmark of luxury sedans. I think they're a nice touch, just maybe not in a sporty car.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL.. I still say BFD. It's an electric clock.. it goes to show how some people are easily impressed
Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Pro

^ Huh? Do you just make this up as you go?
uhhh, Some of it is my opinion which I clearly state and the other half is simple facts......I can see though where the facts would upset or confuse you though.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cp3117
uhhh, Some of it is my opinion which I clearly state and the other half is simple facts......I can see though where the facts would upset or confuse you though.
Oh my you spouted off something that resembled facts but shown none.. but upset me? LOL! You wish.. since that is what you seem to be wanting to do just because I don't think the analog clock is such a big deal??.

I will just keep on grinning and enjoying an extremely sweet riding car.. can you say that?

Last edited by Stew4HD; 10-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Pro

Oh my you spouted off something that resembled facts but shown none.. but upset me? LOL! You wish.. since that is what you seem to be wanting to do just because I don't think the analog clock is such a big deal??.

I will just keep on grinning and enjoying an extremely sweet riding car.. can you say that?
......LOL, You actually commented on those facts that im talking about in an earlier thread (TL vs G37). Now all of a sudden you dont remember them?? I can see your one of those people that choose to ignore the facts if it doesnt feed to your personal motive or objective, so we will just leave it at that.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Suzuka Master

......LOL, You actually commented on those facts that im talking about in an earlier thread (TL vs G37). Now all of a sudden you dont remember them?? I can see your one of those people that choose to ignore the facts if it doesnt feed to your personal motive or objective, so we will just leave it at that.
What facts are you talking about that show the TL to be so out of the G series league??? I saw your posts on the other thread and saw no such facts. As I said before, you seem to make this shit up as you go. You knew very well that saying the TL is not in the same league would cause an argument.. silly me to take the bait.

Shall we discuss your personal motive and objective?? I am merely a TL enthusiast, which you already knew. You don't know jack about the rest of my life, please do not assume.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 10-10-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
since you seem to be happy with the maxima-keep it.
Stew4HD (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah tl vs g37? Very close.
Tech
Power. G37
Space. Tl
Awd. Tl

Both good cars
Old 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Litt
Yeah tl vs g37? Very close.
Tech
Power. G37
Space. Tl
Awd. Tl

Both good cars
Eggzachary!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I would disagree though with the G not being in the same league as the TL just because it doesnt offer a manual, in reality it could be the opposite.

Someone posted stats in the previous TL vs G37 thread of the 4G 6MT with the HPT package against the G37Xs (7AT) with common M&S tires. The performance stats clearly show the G while using a slushbox produced the same performance results as the Honda (except in the handling due to the obvious reasons). Now compare the 4G SH-AWD 5 or 6AT to other vehicles like the G37 (AT) or the Audi S4 (AT) etc, etc and you quickly see my point

When you realise that the vast majority of sales are AT's one could easily say that the TL isnt in the same league as the G from a performance standpoint.....
Well if you want to focus on facts, performance is not measured solely on the basis of acceleration and it should not be a secret that a TL SH will even out handle a lighter RWD G with comparable tires, never mind the AWD, and lets try to not forget the TL is a larger, heavier vehicle. That's where torque vectoring comes in, which presents an argument for being in another league all by itself.

You should realize that the vast majority looking for this type of larger, more spacious vehicle don't mind giving up the extra bit of acceleration. It's the same exact concept of moving from the Infiniti G to an M or 3 to a 5. True, the TL doesn't have a 7AT and that often puts it at a disadvantage but the G doesn't offer a 6MT in the AWD at the same time. From a pure "performance" standpoint (as you call it) you would compare the 6MT SH and 7AT G AWD and the fact of the matter is, it's a better comparison than simply auto vs auto. They are not all created the same, a 4AT vs 8AT is not an equal comparison simply because they are autos.

Taking a look around the automotive world, we see 7AT's actually are highly comparable to 6MT's, 8AT's and advanced DCT's have now surpassed 6MT's so the comparison is not at all off base. It's the one you would make if you were focused on performance. Now if one can't drive a manual or it's not appropriate for them, that is a different story. Furthermore, the G's AT acceleration edge over the TL's is virtually non existent as far as regular everyday driving is concerned.

The G 7AT brake torques and does it rather effectively, the TL 6AT is a gas and go car with there not being much that you can do to launch the vehicle. So besides launching, using the 6MT instead of the 6AT might be the most appropriate comparison of the two because the weight is the closest when comparing these two trims and so is the power to the ground. So sure there is a discrepancy on paper and in testing the AT’s but that only translates into the real world for drag racing and if brake torquing is something a driver likes to do on a regular basis but the two auto models are very much in line otherwise, as indicated by the very similar trap speeds on average. While I would still give a very slight edge to the G there, it's no where near as much as full out testing indicates. Again, a worthy sacrifice and expected for one looking for the major attributes of what the TL brings to the table over the G.

Pretty good IMO for being down on power, having at least one less gear in either the 5AT or 6AT's case, also being a larger, heavier, more spacious vehicle, therefore the aerodynamic affect of that as well, and that the 6AT SH is actually rated better on gas than G37x. Throw in the torque vectoring for good measure and that outside of price and perceived level of luxury, these cars wouldn't be grouped together so it's probably not the most appropriate comparison from a performance (and even overall) standpoint anyway.

Quick Reply: 2nd Test Drive - Have annoyances, need solutions...