22,090 miles with my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22,090 miles with my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

After 18 months and 22,090 miles with my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with Tech and Advance options, I can share some impressions of living with this sedan.

Other than a failure of the air-conditioner last summer and a rattle in the sunroof, the car has been reliable. It took the dealer two tries to repair the air conditioner and one try to fix the sunroof. The car was in the shop for two days the second try.

The car's performance is excellent. It's quick and fun to drive, especially for a long, two-ton sedan. The roadholding and handling are up to high standards, especially if the mediocre OEM tires are exchanged for very high performance summer tires. I chose Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tires; they are many tires of comparable performance. The engine and transmission are smooth. Heavily laden, car has achieved 31 mpg with the cruise control set to 70 mph in flat terrain. Driven as most enthusiasts would, the car gets 26-27 mpg on the highway and 20 mpg in suburban driving.

The sound system is first class. The navigation system is good, but too often I have had to use my iPhone because the Acura wasn't helpful. Bugs that should have been fixed years ago persist, such as using voice control to get time without the engagement of the tutorial.

The instrument controls are a victim of style over legibility. The binnacles surrounding the tach and speedometer are so large and obtrusive that at times, the driver focuses on the light gray rims of the binnacles rather than to the instruments themselves.

The clock is tiny, hidden in the display in the LCD panel above the many pushbuttons. Generally I find the layout and logic of the buttons useful and friendly. The layout is generally friendly, but Acura sometimes scattered.

The front seats are very comfortable and supportive.

The all wheel drive works well, but doesn't engage as quickly as the full-time all-wheel systems in my 2001 and 2004 Audi A6 4.2 cars or in my 2007 Subaru Outback H6 which has an automatic transmission or in my former 2006 and 2007 Subaru Legacy spec.B sedans, which had manual transmissions. I can easily sense that brief moment of slippage until the Acura's SH-AWD sends power to the rear wheels.

The TL's body has three major disadvantages. First, the driver's outward view is severely compromised by the wide, sharply slanted A-pillars, high belt line, and small windows. Second, access to the back seat is impaired because of small doors and a sloping roof. Third, the undersized trunk has a high lift over, a small opening, and contours that make it very difficult to accept large suitcases. For a 194-inch long car, a trunk of 12.5 cubic feet is too small. Furthermore the trunk lid has a pointed center which too often whacks foreheads.

For the driver, the TL SH-AWD's roadholding and handling are satisfying, especially for a long, heavy sedan. The ride is generally pleasing, but compromised by excessive road noise.

So, the 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD is a mixed bag. It scores well for performance and just so-so for practicality.

Having just finished a long trip of 2,400 miles in two weeks with my wife and lots of baggage, I have concluded, "never again in the TL," because it's a large car outside and a small car inside.

The 19-inch wheels are overkill, adding unsprung weight, which contributes to a harsher ride, and, perhaps, contributing to road noise, but likely not adding to better roadholding. Eighteen-inch wheels are more than sufficient; the larger wheels are stylistic excess, especially in view of the mediocre all-season tires fitted.

The rear-view camera works well enough, but is primitive in contrast to rear-view cameras in cars in the same price range because the Acura view doesn't display guidelines to aid in reversing. That's a simple software solution that Acura could have provided at low cost.

The blind spot indicator is welcome, but it only works when an approaching vehicle is a car length or so alongside the TL. This device is a useful accessory, but no substitute for checking the rearview mirrors; don't rely on it alone.

The tungsten-halogen high-beams have good reach, but are so inferior in brightness to the xenon HID low-beams that one's eyes are presented with a disparity in brightness and in color. The xenon lamps are blueish-white; the tungsten-halogen lamps are yellowish-white. Clearly Acura did not fit xenon high-beams in order to keep costs down and for the same reason did not fit articulating headlights which turn with body motion and steering. Acura cheaped out.

The valance under its nose is so low that it frequently scrapes low concrete parking stops.

The Acura TL SH-AWD Tech Advance is a luxurious, AWD version of the Honda Accord. Unless you want AWD, buy the Honda. If you want the features commonly offered in an upscale AWD sedan of this size, consider an Infiniti M, BMW 5-series, or an Audi A6, all of which are costlier and have their pluses and minuses. The TL SH-AWD Tech Advance hits a sweet spot for good value, along with prominent shortcomings and quirks. The TL SH-AWD Tech Advance is a fine car, but I wouldn't get the same model again. Maybe the 2014 will lure me.

My lease for the 2012 TL will expire next Spring. I will consider the forthcoming 2014 Acura TLX, a variant of the 2014 Honda Accord, with a new hybrid AWD system. I will not consider any car with a trunk and outward view as bad as the 2012 TL's. Style doesn't trump utility.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SLLAZ

The 19-inch wheels are overkill, adding unsprung weight, which contributes to a harsher ride, and, perhaps, contributing to road noise, but likely not adding to better roadholding. Eighteen-inch wheels are more than sufficient; the larger wheels are stylistic excess, especially in view of the mediocre all-season tires fitted.
Completely agree with you here
Old 10-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
"The rear-view camera works well enough, but is primitive in contrast to rear-view cameras in cars in the same price range because the Acura view doesn't display guidelines to aid in reversing".

Great objective review but my 2010 navi HAS guidelines. Did Acura eliminate them in the 2012?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i find it hard to believe you getting that kind of fuel economy....not calling you a liar, just find it hard to believe....it get avg 20mpg....maybe 23 on highway, and 18 in town....
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
"The rear-view camera works well enough, but is primitive in contrast to rear-view cameras in cars in the same price range because the Acura view doesn't display guidelines to aid in reversing".

Great objective review but my 2010 navi HAS guidelines. Did Acura eliminate them in the 2012?
+1 for my '09.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
My 2012 has the guidelines
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2012 TL has the guidelines. Our 2012 MDX has them too, but you can switch them off.

I'm wondering if he means that guidelines that move when you change the steering wheel.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
^^^ Correct, I think he wants active guidelines vs static

The 18" wheels are much more forgiving and provide an all-around better feel. When I bought my '12 tech package my first test drive was an Advance with the 19's in cold weather. Car felt horrible. Drove the tech package and decided I didn't need seat vents or BSM

I've had mine since Oct '11 (just got a nice anniversary card from Acura) and just about to hit 13K miles. The only complaint I have is not being able to redline first gear in S mode. I bet that would shave off a couple tenths 0-60 time. However once the car is moving the power band is sick. She really moves for a heffer hehe.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Who need gridlines.

Friend has the active gridlines in his Nissan. Personally, I think people who can't park without lines should spend a little more time in drivers ed. Seriously, what did you do before you owned a car with a backup camera...hit the car behind???
Old 10-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by SLLAZ

You do know that the 19" HPT (standard on advanced models) are lighter than the 18's, right?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i find it hard to believe you getting that kind of fuel economy....not calling you a liar, just find it hard to believe....it get avg 20mpg....maybe 23 on highway, and 18 in town....
The best mileage I have gotten in my AWD is 29.2, worst 20.4, overall for the entire time I have owned the car is 22.8. Cruising at 80 the car showed a 26. average, if I can cruise closer to the speed limit I can get closer to 30.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Friend has the active gridlines in his Nissan. Personally, I think people who can't park without lines should spend a little more time in drivers ed. Seriously, what did you do before you owned a car with a backup camera...hit the car behind???
If you actually use gridlines in backup camera, it's really helpful. Left side and right side in the rear are safe, as long as your way is in gridline.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater

No I have them on my 12.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I have 19s on my TL. ultra high performance all seasons. I love them.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I regularly got over 27mpg during my 84K miles of over 97% highway miles, and regularly exceeded 500 miles in a tank ... and this wasn't based on MID figures (which, but the way always came out to be about .3 to .5 mpg less than actual).
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Active guidelines

I did mean, but did not write, that I would want active, rather than static, guidelines.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Fuel economy

In the suburban area where I live, the TL typically gets about 19 to 20 mpg. On the highway, the TL typically gets about 25 to 26 mpg. When the TL achieved 31 mpg, I had set, as an experiment, the cruise control to 70 mph and was passed by every vehicle on the Ohio Turnpike. If nothing else, driving the speed limit was stress free.

I've had my time on tracks and have no need to drive on public roads as I did on sports car tracks, though I do enjoy driving 8/10 on exit ramps and that's where the TL SH-AWD Advance shines, despite the dismal Goodyear RS-A tires.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I don't think you understand the system. It shows your trajectory when reversing regardless of the degree your turning the wheel. Unless if by active you mean you can de/activate lines?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
You do know that the 19" HPT (standard on advanced models) are lighter than the 18's, right?
Thanks for that information, which I didn't know. My hunch is that even 17-inch wheels, which easily clear the disc brakes, if fitted with sticky street tires, would be a great improvement in roadholding, handling, and comfort over the 19-inch wheels shod with low-performance tires.. The current use of 19-inch wheels is due more to bling than to engineering, I suspect.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I don't think you understand the system. It shows your trajectory when reversing regardless of the degree your turning the wheel. Unless if by active you mean you can de/activate lines?
The Acura system does display the direction as the steering wheel turns. I'd like a display that shows me the optimal path in addition to the current path. Other systems do that.