2012 TL test drive experience versus some "competition"

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 TL test drive experience versus some "competition"

Well, after 10 years in my 2001 CL Type S, I've finally decided to upgrade. It's hard to get rid of a car that you never get sick of. 157,000 miles, and other than 2 tranny replacements , the car runs better today than ever.

Anyway, I drove the 2012 SH-AWD today. The car drives amazing, like it's on rails. You really shouldn't be allowed to go around corners that fast. Acceleration incredible, granted I'm comparing to a 10 year old car, but my CL is still pretty quick. Okay, the exterior is improved, still not great, but it looks so great on the inside, and the drive is so good, I really don't care so much about the outside which may sound weird. The new 18" smoke grey wheels look better in person than in pics. I really like the Mayan Bronze Metallic with umber interior.

Thought I'd leave some thoughts on other cars I've driven that you may or may not consider competitors:

2011 Charger R/T Max: Interior much improved (still not TL quality though), back end is awesome with the LED lights, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as fast as the TL in my opinion unless you floor it. Throttle is terrible. The auto tranny in this car blows. If they really put that rumored ZF 8 speed auto in the 2012, it may be worth a second look.

2011 Taurus SHO: I know, maybe another weird comparison, but this car has serious balls. Acceleration amazing in this car, but the fit and finish is still miles behind Acura. Kind of a stealthy fast car. This thing will get you arrested fast. A four door Mustang, but the interior still not as nice as the TL, and I can't see owning this car very long without getting tired of it.

2011 Maxima: Still haven't driven this but considering this car as well. The exterior looks are slick IMHO. The CVT intrigues me, but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a ski boat.

Curious if anyone else thought of these cars too. I may be going out on a limb with some of these, but trying to be open-minded, as I'm biased toward Acura, loving my CL still.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I drove a Maxima last year, you'll be disspointed compared to the TL. Maxima looses torque through the CVT tranny and consdering its price tage to me was over priced.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I've owned 3 Maximi and it was a logical competitor which I considered in 2009 when the TL went 4th Gen. The driving dynamics of the Maxima didn't even come close to that of the TL. So I haven't thought Maxima since then. Never really thought about or considered the Taurus or the Charger either.

Last edited by Treblig; 04-02-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you test the Max test a SV Sport handles better and IMO drove and handled better than base TL I tested and was quicker, 12 TL may be about even with the new 6spd auto (did not like the low speed steering feel on either, way to boosted and light feeling). That CVT is kinda strange at first, but once you get used to it you may like it. The guys over at the org in the 7th gen forum like it for the most part.

Last edited by Monte TLS,MAX; 04-03-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what the OP said about the "ski boat" feeling of the CVT tranny. To me, it just doesn't feel like a car should for some reason. But IDK...

I personally would looove a 2012 Charger, if they throw a gear or two more in there... Haven't driven one yet, or the new TL so I can't compare that way... I just really don't like the new TL's that much.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I've owned past Maximas and they were always good, reliable cars.

In my opinion, however, the CVT-only transmission in the new Maxs disqualify them as serious driver cars. They just don't feel very quick. The CVT does deliver pretty good MPG. And I think the suspension tuning had gotten softer.

Too bad. I owned them when you could still get a MT and Nissan advertised them as "4DSCs" (four door sports cars). While they're nice and roomy, I don't think they merit the 4DSC moniker any more.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

2 more AWD sport? sedans

The MB C350 AWD and the Volvo S60 T6 AWD with torque vectoring are also possible contenders to the TL AWD sedan. Similar pricing. Opinions?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
The Volvo sounds interesting if you can get past the reliability questions.

The MB350 is a bit of a slug, from a performance perspective.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got to drive the 2012 TL SH-AWD on an autocross at the Rose Bowl last month and loved it. SH-AWD is incredible out of the corners. It will be our next car.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

there is no c350 AWD...your only options are the c300 or e350
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
'01 CL Type-S, nice, had an '01 3.2 CL 9+ years and right at 200k miles, had 3 trannys. Was hoping Acura would come out with another 2dr, so much for wishful thinking.

I know folks with 2010 and 11 Charger R/T, 20011 Max, and a 2011Taurus SHO. Had the chance to drive theirs...

Different vehicles all together IMO... the Taurus SHO came closet in comparison due the AWD system. The fit, finish, and handling were nods I would give to the TL off the bat. The total composition of the car to me is amazing. The other vehicles are very nice in their own right.

My friends drove mine and the general comment filtered out to be it's and Acura, on a different level then their cars. The friend with the Max mentioned the same thing about the CVT as KeithL, when I drove it I noticed it as well , he's looking at moving into a TL SH-AWD either a 2011 or 2012, he's leaning towards an 2011 though.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Maxima is a nice looking car.... thats why 34% of the population now have one... its way too popular and every 3rd car on the road is a new Max
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Haven't driven the others but considered them before leasing my 2010 Tech:

I steered away from the Maxima due to the CVT. I rented an Altima with one last year and just couldn't see myself driving any car with one full-time.

I considered the SHO but couldn't get over the "hunchback" of the rear end. Another concern I had with both this car and the Charger were reliability and depreciation issues.

These may be "nitpick" reasons to stick with Acura but I am very happy staying in the stable. The TL is still the best "bang for the buck" and along with reliability and resale made it a no-brainer for me again, even with the polarizing styling which I happen to love. This is my 4th TL and I'm enjoying it immensely. Keep us posted on your choice.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
From your list of choices, the only car I would consider is the Maxima. Although when shipping for a new car we decided on the TL. Just an allaround better car IMO.
Dodge, Chrysler cars just have too many electrical gremlins.
Ford Taurus SHO just does nothing for me. Although Ford has come along way. Long term, I don't think it will last.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Maxima is a nice looking car.... thats why 34% of the population now have one... its way too popular and every 3rd car on the road is a new Max
Up their the Max has always been very popular, the TL was as well. In Dallas and now I'm back home in LA you don't see nearly as many of them.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I've test driven

'11 TL-AWD
- Current top pick in my test drives, my only holdback with this car is the funky shape of it's trunk space, I'm constantly hauling switches, routers, and associate network gear around for work, could be tight in the summer if I toss a set of clubs in there as well.

Caddy CTS-4
- Drives a bit like the SHO, closer to infiniti/nissan interior then Acura, my biggest complaint with this car is the CTS-V, cause that's the car I really want :P

Infiniti G37xS
- Was tops on my list till I drove the TL, will still require a back to back drive before I plunk down cash, but if I can find a TL with the MT I'd easily take that over the 7 speed, recent transmission reflashing supposedly fixes some of the in traffic harshness in this car.

Dodge Charger AWD RT/MAX
- Fun to drive.. kinda, fell in love with the exhaust note and features for $, but it's a dodge, the residuals will suck, and the AT is garbage like you said, defiantly worth a revisit if they toss the 8sp AT in there, but I heard they are holding that for MY13, the 6 body trunk could come in handy

Taurus SHO
- Fun Drive, sneaky accelleration, and it handles better then expected for a big car, although I had too short a test drive, dealer left me 12 miles on the tank, dealer experience with the Ford's suck balls, might as well as be buying a fiesta, I'm sure the service side is the same, save for the monkey's will be more likely to beat on it.

Subaru Legacy GT
- Interior quality is OK, but not great, but it is available with a 6 speed manual, toss $1200 at it with a downpipe and reflash and you'll have a better handling/accelerating car then the Acura or Infiniti (LGT is almost 500# lighter). I've had 7 Subaru's and this one has all the characteristics of my past cars with with a bit more streetability. Few missing key features (keyless entry, hids) and the electronics, while they work, are many leagues behind the Infiniti and Acura setups. But the price tag reflects that as well, as one loaded with Nav is a solid 12k under the price of a TL, and you can always get them closer to invoice.

Last edited by gibjer; 04-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced

gibjer you should check out an Audi Avant
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Rowing my own

Originally Posted by MD-DRIVER
gibjer you should check out an Audi Avant
I did take a look at the sedan, and I just assumed that the avant has the same issues, there really isn't enough room in the back seat for two car seats, also I wasn't able to put a set a golf clubs lengthwise across the trunkspace.

That and it's severely underpowered for the price you pay. (and I hate VWs)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I considered the '10 Maxima, but the CVT sounds funny when you floor it, like it got stuck in the first gear. The car has a nice pick-up though, but the CVT takes some getting used to. I found the car to be very comfortable and spacious. Maxima also had more reliability issues compared to the TL. I bought my '10 TL last November and "I'm Loving It"!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gibjer
I did take a look at the sedan, and I just assumed that the avant has the same issues, there really isn't enough room in the back seat for two car seats, also I wasn't able to put a set a golf clubs lengthwise across the trunkspace.

That and it's severely underpowered for the price you pay. (and I hate VWs)
Then you should look at the new redesigned 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i - should be plenty of room and 0-60 in 5.5 sec
It's also much easier to get kids in and out of car seats from the higher level of an SUV - your back will thank you.

Or for that much - take a look at an RDX or MDX
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
in my journeys .....moving from the 06 TL .....my initial car was the maxima ........i am not a big American car guy ..........i thought of the charger but it was just a thought.......TAURUS not even in the running.......even though one of them pulled off on me when i was doing like 80 in my 3G TL ...................

with that said i did test drive the maxima ........and was not impressed on any level.............the car felt bulky yet tight on the inside .............just as the M37.........as to where the TL feels huge inside yet doesn't feel like a humongous car o the outside .......at least in my opinion.....

IMO everybody has their own likes and dislikes ..... so asking a forum what car to buy will have your head spinning and by popular demand you might get something that down the line you might not actually like...........so i would say test drive all think of what you are looking for weigh the pro's and con's in your opinion.............then go for what you like
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Rowing my own

Originally Posted by MD-DRIVER
Then you should look at the new redesigned 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i - should be plenty of room and 0-60 in 5.5 sec
It's also much easier to get kids in and out of car seats from the higher level of an SUV - your back will thank you.

Or for that much - take a look at an RDX or MDX
We already have a family hauler (Subaru Outback)

I just need something to fit them in to drag them to/from daycare, any trip of significance will be in the Outback, this is a keep dad happy purchase, I don't need (or want) a wagon or SUV.