2012 TL SH-AWD advance worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL SH-AWD advance worth it?

Hello All,

I'm in the market for a AWD vehicle and have come across the TL. After doing my immediate research on public sites and car review websites, I decided to ask those that ACTUALLY OWN the cars.

Reasons why TL is one of my top picks:
1. AWD- live in a area that gets as much snow as it does rain and I need a car that is able to handle such diverse changes in weather.
2. Size
3. Style- Very attracted to the speedy engine yet refined with elegance.
4. Acura reputation

Details on the car I've come across:
Certified ore-owed 2012 SH-AWD Advance with 5k miles, previously a lease. Roughly the dealership has it listed for $36,900 and there "BEST" offer is $36,500

First, I'd like to hear your reviews and personal opinions on the cost. Second, is this a good deal? Third, why the TL and will this car fit my lifestyle/weather atmosphere.

thanks a ton guys!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
GET IT!!! You will love the car and will not regret it at all!!!

SH-AWD is wonderful in bad weather - yes, trust me, we have it here in Calgary!!!

I love the style too. It's funny because everyone said that it's ugly before they tweaked the beak. Now it's one of the best and most distinctive looking sedans around! :-)

I love the handling, the smooth engine and the sound system, which is AMAZING! Also, the gas mileage is great for a V6 AWD vehicle.

For that price, that CPO vehicle is a great deal - GET IT!!! Oh, what colour combo is it please?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
umber-black in MD
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Acura's SH-AWD is excellent.

I still say that pound for pound, dollar for dollar-Acura is one of the best values for the money in it's class.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
I've had my 2012 TL Elite (Canadian Advance package) for a few weeks now. Can't comment on handling in inclement weather yet, but on dry roads it literally handles like its on rails.

The sound system is awesome, the interior is well laid out and its quick.

Some cons if you're looking for them:

(1) the trunk is a little small with no fold down seat option
(2) the rear middle seat is not really a seat because of the bolstering, so its more of a comfortable 4 seater
(3) no adaptive cruise control, LED headlights, and a few other goodies on the new Accord

Some here will say to wait if you can for the next gen TL(X) but for me waiting wasn't an option, and who knows if I'd like the body style - and certainly no pricing deals will be had in the short term anyway.

I've had so many compliments in the short time I've had it - its been a lot of fun so far.

My 10 year old son (who is a serious car guy) said it best on the first night we got it when my wife asked him what he thought and he replied "it's like you on Halloween Mom...." When she asked what he meant, he explained "it's beautiful on the inside, beautiful on the outside, and filled with goodies". LOL.

'Nuff said - go buy it on Monday and you won't regret it.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Before you sign paperwork, take a very detailed look on paint, place a car under the sun so you can find if any parts were re-pained.

I bought CPO with 8K miles, came out that front bumper, fender & hood were re-pained.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
sounds like a great price - I paid $38K for a new '12 SH-AWD tech package in late 2011

The car is amazing, you won't be disappointed, but if you can wait another year the next model will be out.

The tech in the new Accord and what's been released so far about the RLX hopefully point to one hell of a nice TL(X) on the way.

If you need new wheels now I'd still take the '12 or '13 TL over the Accord just for the extra power and AWD, but if you can wait I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the next TL.

If its a hit there will be plenty of trade-ins going for a song too in case the next body style isn't your cup of tea.

My plan is to wait for the 2015 model - figure they'll get any kinks worked out by then. Also, I like to shop everything, and right around the same time we should be seeing new redesigns of the Infiniti G series, as well as Lexus IS series.

What can I say, I'm hopelessly addicted to Japanese design
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Go for it, you will love the AWD and advance package. You mentioned size and that's one of the reasons I got the 4 G TL. The 5G is most likely going to be smaller and I can't drive anything smaller that the size of my 12. sure the 5G is going to have tech features galore but if it's smaller and the styling is not up to par I'm most likely keeping my 12 for many years.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I also am beginning to think this deal is pretty good. What would your OTD price be? Listed at $36,9 "online special".

Thank you all for the replies.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Everyone's OTD price is different - all determined by how much you want it, if its your preferred colour choice etc. The price they are offering seems reasonable but they have more leeway than $400.

They are always prepared to deal when they are sure you're buying not tire kicking.

If you are OK with their price but know they can do better, I have always found you can 'get' more by giving them the dollar price they want, but throw in accessories or extended warranty. I worked them down to an acceptable price, but then said I'll buy today if you throw in X,Y and Z. Be reasonable though not silly. I got the all season floor mats, rear splash guards, tint and extended warranty thrown in. They were reluctant at first, and I had to get up twice and start walking out, but we got the deal done...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The SH-AWD is one of the biggest reason I chose to go with the TL (well, the awesome deal also had some big part to do with it). As you do, I need AWD to handle rainy/snowy weather condition here as we always have long and wet winters. If there was a Elite (advance in usa), I would have gotten it instead of the Tech pack I have. Here in Canada, for around $2000 extra, i think it's worth for those extra features. My car is about 3 weeks old and I have already put 2200km on it. Other than a couple rattles, everything works just great.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
The SH-AWD is worth every penny. Cars a beast in the snow especially if you add winter tires. Mine was a tank in CT winters. That's one thing I know I will miss with the Maxima.