2012 TL Semi-Automatic gear shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 TL Semi-Automatic gear shifting

Hello All,

I noticed that when the car is in "Drive" and I use the paddle shifters it will display the gear number without the M next to it like in in "Sport" mode. The car feels to behave the same with and without the M, what is the difference?

Also,
When in "Sport" mode and I downshift, should I be worried about the engine rpm compared to how fast I am going? I read that the 2012 has rev matching which makes it safe to downshift up to 2 gears.

Looking forward for your responses.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
In D, the paddle shifters make it so that you can drop a gear or two in order to pass somebody. If you stay in the lower gear too long, and don't accelerate, it will shift back up to the correct gear. In D, it will shift economically according to your driving style (ie, if you hammer the gas down, it'll hold the gear longer).

In S auto, it will hold the gear longer regardless.

In S "Manual" you have full control, and it will not take over unless u try to downshift to a gear that is too low for the engine's rpm.

As for downshifting, yes the engine will rev match, however, you probably shouldn't do engine braking as you would in a manual car, as the Torque Converter will be taking more stress. The car downshifts for you when you slow down.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear
In D, the paddle shifters make it so that you can drop a gear or two in order to pass somebody. If you stay in the lower gear too long, and don't accelerate, it will shift back up to the correct gear. In D, it will shift economically according to your driving style (ie, if you hammer the gas down, it'll hold the gear longer).

In S auto, it will hold the gear longer regardless.

In S "Manual" you have full control, and it will not take over unless u try to downshift to a gear that is too low for the engine's rpm.

As for downshifting, yes the engine will rev match, however, you probably shouldn't do engine braking as you would in a manual car, as the Torque Converter will be taking more stress. The car downshifts for you when you slow down.
As long as I have been driving I have had automatics and was never bashful about manually shifting up or down when I want to. However the trend has been for many automatics these days not actually being able to manually hold first gear. I could do that in our 2000 TL but I don't think our 2012 allows that. Now I rarely if ever actually manually shift upwards but I often manually downshift an automatic when, for example, going down a hill or when I see stopped traffic suddenly ahead and want the engine braking to help me quickly slow down.

The thing is I have never had a problem with transmission or torque converter when downshifting for engine braking but then again I have never abused this but limited it to sensible occasional use.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
As long as I have been driving I have had automatics and was never bashful about manually shifting up or down when I want to. However the trend has been for many automatics these days not actually being able to manually hold first gear. I could do that in our 2000 TL but I don't think our 2012 allows that. Now I rarely if ever actually manually shift upwards but I often manually downshift an automatic when, for example, going down a hill or when I see stopped traffic suddenly ahead and want the engine braking to help me quickly slow down.

The thing is I have never had a problem with transmission or torque converter when downshifting for engine braking but then again I have never abused this but limited it to sensible occasional use.
The 2010's let you downshift all the way back to first gear. I've engine braked before, but i stopped when people started getting reports on how the 09-11 torque converter was having issues. Now, I have no reservations on downshifting to pass, but i would be on the gas, and not on the brakes.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Take it back and get the 6M
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Haha, maybe when they have manual with paddle shifters and a pinky clutch.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't realize the '13 rev matches - I was wondering why the engine breaking on this car is so much less then my '04 3G TL. The engine breaking in the 4G is non-existent to the point it does't really even slow the car down. In my 3G dropping from fifth to third at 50-60mph is very noticeable - almost like stepping on the break.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Starting in the 2012 MY, the 6-speed auto box in the 4G TL has the ability to automatic "blip throttle and match rev" when performing gear shifts.

So the gear shifts become smoother and the mechanical wear becomes lesser.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by AtotheZ
Haha, maybe when they have manual with paddle shifters and a pinky clutch.
its 6 years later and im STILL laughing about this comment.