2012 TL Noise and Comfort questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL Noise and Comfort questions.

Hello All,
I am coming from a 2000 TL , that good old soldier is about to go to sleep after serving me well for 11 years.
My wife as en e90 (2006 BMW 325), Which at first I really hated the drive of it, it was so rough and the steering too heavy, and the seats are s..t.
Every time I got back to my TL after the BM'er I was just happy to be in that nice seat and the light steering.

So I am that guy that does not care much for the corner speed but really likes less noise.

I did test drive a FWD TL, and I loved the soft suspension to an extent, but I was surprised that I felt it handled worse than my old car and was almost as noisy on highway speed.

The car had those Kumho tires , and my TL had the Michelin MXM, so I wonder is that the reason ? I did a search on the internet and it seemed people think the tires are 'ok'.

It seems that for me, the FWD is the way to go, but I am curious about my impression of road noise ? did Acura really not improve the noise in 12 years ?

The seats looked fantastic and that nightmare of buttons on the dashboard will eventually work itself out I think.

I look forward to your input guys.

Then we can discuss painting that stupid shield in the front, rims and coilovers LOL
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
The 2012 should have MXM from the factory. I have them on my 2013 and they are quiet at highway speed. I could hear the wind more than anything and fixed that with a few yards of rubber moulding. The 760 spoils me.

The Khumos I had on my 760 were loud for what it's worth.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:00 PM
10th Gear

Thank you very much for that .
Old 01-21-2016, 12:17 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Agree with Csmeance. Tire choice makes a big difference in terms of noise emission and handling performance.

The OEM Michelin MXM4 on the 4G TL is a very quiet touring tire, although not so much in handling performance.

My previous car was the 2002 TL-S, and I can assure you that the 4G TL (even FWD) is light years ahead of the 2G TL, in terms of auto technology, suspension design, and most importantly handling performance.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the standard Michelin MXM4 on my '14 TL and the road noise is noticeable. Not horrendous, but i do wish it was more quiet.

Based on your comments, have you looked at the TLX? Its quieter and has some nice features you can't get on a TL (HD Radio, ride comfort select). I realize it may be more expensive but if you wait another year you should start to see some coming off leases.

And for the record... I love all the buttons. I think it looks cool/futuristic, and i hate trying to navigate sub-menus on a touch screen.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 AM
10th Gear

Thank you all,
You did help me make my mind up, now waiting for the right car to show up