2012 SH-AWD Tech reflections on first week

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 SH-AWD Tech reflections on first week

This is mostly for the noobs like me out there lurking around and wondering if the TL is the right car. I'd preface this by repeating what many of you enthusiasts have already said: just drive it. It is very much a personal preference decision. That being said, here are my thoughts:

Handling is out of this world, but if you are a commuter, you may regret the rough ride. That is the ONLY knock I have on this car of major significance. It rides rough and you will feel and hear every bump. But when the road is open and smooth, you'll forget you ever cared about the ride.

The sound system more than lives up to expectations. I'm disappointed that the HDD compresses the digital audio, but it still isn't bad. Bluetooth streaming audio lacks much I for and control, but otherwise works well. Just don't expect your iPhone to simultaneously act as a Bluetooth device and iPod.

Navigation is adequate, except for all the ridiculous disclaimers and confirmations. I'm getting used to them. My $4 iPhone app has better navigation and search and graphics. But then I didn't get the tech package for nav I got it for the sound system. XM is a joke because you can get nearly all the programming on your smartphone and listen via Bluetooth.

I'm 6'5" and have good leg and headroom. It's just a bit narrow, but not too bad.

On a recent 70 mile trip under 70 mph and losing some altitude I actually got almost 35 mpg. It drops above 65 mph, but with mostly freeway and highway, I'm getting around 27-28 mpg.

Everything works as promised. I'm very pleased with the car and love when I run across a winding road. When I'm on those long straight roads, the music and news makes the miles go by. I'm still not thrilled with how the car looks from the side, but the front and back views are awesome. This is just a great car.

I hope this helps some of you make up your mind. Feel free to ask whatever you want if you're still making up your mind. Or even if you know it all :-)

t
The following users liked this post:
churbo (04-03-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thx for the review,

How would you compare the road noise/wind noise compared to other cars you have owned?

Do you miss any 'luxury' features like rain sensing wipers, swiveling headlights, 'triple turn signal', heated steering wheel, etc. that are found on the german lux cars like BMW, MB, etc.

How are the blind spots...multiple threads about this recently?

Is the AWD really worth it especially for just commuting? Did u test drive the FWD version? What other cars did u drive before choosing the TL.

Thx for your responses in advance!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tSchwarz
This is mostly for the noobs like me out there lurking around and wondering if the TL is the right car. I'd preface this by repeating what many of you enthusiasts have already said: just drive it. It is very much a personal preference decision. That being said, here are my thoughts:

Handling is out of this world, but if you are a commuter, you may regret the rough ride. That is the ONLY knock I have on this car of major significance. It rides rough and you will feel and hear every bump. But when the road is open and smooth, you'll forget you ever cared about the ride.

The sound system more than lives up to expectations. I'm disappointed that the HDD compresses the digital audio, but it still isn't bad. Bluetooth streaming audio lacks much I for and control, but otherwise works well. Just don't expect your iPhone to simultaneously act as a Bluetooth device and iPod.

Navigation is adequate, except for all the ridiculous disclaimers and confirmations. I'm getting used to them. My $4 iPhone app has better navigation and search and graphics. But then I didn't get the tech package for nav I got it for the sound system. XM is a joke because you can get nearly all the programming on your smartphone and listen via Bluetooth.

I'm 6'5" and have good leg and headroom. It's just a bit narrow, but not too bad.

On a recent 70 mile trip under 70 mph and losing some altitude I actually got almost 35 mpg. It drops above 65 mph, but with mostly freeway and highway, I'm getting around 27-28 mpg.

Everything works as promised. I'm very pleased with the car and love when I run across a winding road. When I'm on those long straight roads, the music and news makes the miles go by. I'm still not thrilled with how the car looks from the side, but the front and back views are awesome. This is just a great car.

I hope this helps some of you make up your mind. Feel free to ask whatever you want if you're still making up your mind. Or even if you know it all :-)

t
What were you driving before this if you think its bumpy. I have had my TL for a month now and I think it is smooth. I love the ride. I use to have an S4 and compare the ride about the same. I also had a Acura TSX and thought that was really bumpy.

As for the navigation, its not as easy as a Garmin but its much much better then a Toyota or Lexus GPS.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I would agree that the ride is a bit firm, but not really displeasing so. For me anyway. You do feel the little road imperfections but it is not jarring or teeth rattling. Overall, I really love the ride. A very compromise between ride and handling.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I would agree that the ride is a bit firm, but not really displeasing so. For me anyway. You do feel the little road imperfections but it is not jarring or teeth rattling. Overall, I really love the ride. A very compromise between ride and handling.
I actually really like that about my TL. Being able to feel imperfections and whatnot in the road makes me feel more.... More connected to the road, if that makes sense.

That being said, I feel like the ride is as smooth as it needs to be. You still know you're in a luxury car, and it feels like a luxury car, but it has that sport aspect, too. I briefly had a CTS and couldn't stand the feel of it, no offense to anyone who might like them. It just felt like I was floating down the road on a pillow. Meh. Not for me.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Have my 2012 SH/AWD/TL/Tech, for 45 days; AWESOME!
Had an '09, & an '05TL/FWD, prior. Softer ride, but handling & traction, can't compare; wet, or dry.
ELS is great; wish there were a 6 disc changer for my DVD/A collection; no biggie
great graphics on the Real-time Nav. screen; day or night; actually, mesmerizing, & distracting. the passengers in the front love it.
Best bang for your buck; hands down!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sorry, had to correct my grammitcal errors

I would agree that the ride is a bit firm, but not really displeasingly so. For me anyway. You do feel the little road imperfections but it is not jarring or teeth rattling. Overall, I really love the ride. A very good compromise between ride and handling.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mihink
thx for the review,

How would you compare the road noise/wind noise compared to other cars you have owned?

Do you miss any 'luxury' features like rain sensing wipers, swiveling headlights, 'triple turn signal', heated steering wheel, etc. that are found on the german lux cars like BMW, MB, etc.

How are the blind spots...multiple threads about this recently?

Is the AWD really worth it especially for just commuting? Did u test drive the FWD version? What other cars did u drive before choosing the TL.

Thx for your responses in advance!
The closest car I've owned was a 2000 Chrysler 300 with sport package. It was not AWD, but had the familiar "firm" ride and resulting bumps. I attribute that to the sportiness inherent in these vehicles. Sound-wise the TL is quieter than the 300 was (which was also a fun car to drive, btw).

I haven't owned a true luxury car, so I don't miss some of the amenities you mentioned. This car has plenty of bells and whistles for me.

I haven't noticed any worse blind spots than driving my wife's BMW 528. The rear window does seem small. I think the Advanced package may be worth considering if you drive in tight freeway quarters, perhaps even more so than the AWD option. I seldom find myself in that kind of traffic in Idaho. I got the AWD mostly for winter driving, not for super handling. I have read that the AWD does little to mitigate slippery roads, but I guess we'll see what happens. If you are truly a commuter without winter road concerns, I'd have to say that the extra cost of the AWD is likely not worth it.

I drove Infiniti's (noisier and maybe rougher), BMW 5's and 3's, MB 4-matic C series, Buick Lacrosse, and Lincolns. Each has it's own strengths. Had the BMW had decent electronics I'd likely have gone that route. I gave the Lacrosse serious consideration because it's smoother and arguably quieter, but just didn't think GM's reliability was comparable to Acura/Honda. There are some great cars out there...drive as many as you can.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wrek94
What were you driving before this if you think its bumpy. I have had my TL for a month now and I think it is smooth. I love the ride. I use to have an S4 and compare the ride about the same. I also had a Acura TSX and thought that was really bumpy.
A 2000 Ford F150 FWD pickup :-) The ride is smooth on a smooth road. If there are road repairs and patches, I hear and feel each one. It could be that it's more about the noise of the bump that makes me feel like the ride is rougher than it is.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM
8th Gear

This is a great description. I would concur completely...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tSchwarz
I'm still not thrilled with how the car looks from the side, but the front and back views are awesome. This is just a great car.
My thoughts exactly. It's something about those rear quarter panels that just doesn't look right. All other views are great, and I love the car overall so much that it doesn't make or break anything.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another noob jumping in here. I've had my 12 SH-AWD about 10 days. I'm coming out of an SUV, so a completely different ride, to say the least. The handling/cornering is phenomenal, a blast to drive. I'm accelerating on curves and ramps that I was braking on a couple weeks ago. The AWD makes a big difference, imo, as I drove a FWD loaner last week.

I, too, find the ride to be a good balance between comfort and sport. It's firm, but not jarring like a sport-tuned suspension.

The cabin is much quieter than my suv, a pleasant surprise. And I like the features on my Tech package, although haven't played with the nav too much. Didn't have bluetooth or iPod integration on prior vehicle, so the TL is a noticeable upgrade for me.

I have a silly gripe: I find the overhead sunglass compartment to be too narrow to easily place and remove my shades. But loving most everything else so far.