2012 BWP Bumper Color Mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 BWP Bumper Color Mismatch

Hi Everyone,

I just traded in my 2010 CBP TL AWD with Tech for a 2012 BWP TL AWD with Tech about a week ago. I had a slight color mismatch on my black TL between the bumper and the body and I am seeing the same thing again on the new white one; the bumper has a slightly yellow-er shade to it than the white body. The issue on the white car is a little more visible compared to the black one.

I know this is pretty common these days because of the way paint adheres to plastic and metal (although the splash guards I ordered separately are matched perfectly to the body), and paint/flex additives and etc.(actually learned about this when I wrote a thread about my black one about two years ago), but I wanted to see if other 2012 and white TL owners are seeing the same thing and how bad it is, especially since folks on this forum have an eye for these things.

It's bugging me a bit since the car is otherwise perfect, and I am debating whether it's worth it to ask the dealer to repaint/match the color. I never did anything with the black car since it wasn't as visible. My only hesitation is I would hate to have a small issue turn into a bigger one if it ended up with overspray, or some other bigger problem.

Has anyone tried to get the bumper color re-matched by the dealership? Did it turn out well?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by 4GTL; 07-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Slight variation here depending on lighting and shading. Not enough for me to pursue a remedy though. As you indicated, I would hate to make matters worse.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
it should match since its a new car, go back to dealer and have them check it out. maybe have a paint expert take a look at your car.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Mine is definitely not a perfect match. But I looked over the car at the dealer and never noticed it until a few days after I got it. I figure if it didn't jump out to me, then hardly anyone else will notice it. I would rather put up with it the way it is than the prospects of having it repainted.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
A problem that goes back to the WDP 3G and 2G TL not sure about the 1G, they may/may not have had the same issue. Every Honda and Acura with a white pearl-effect paint seems to have a mismatched bumper(s)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Intermediate

I had an '04 TL in White Diamond Pearl that had the same color variation. You'll get used to it. I don't notice it on my '12 Crystal Black Pearl TL though.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
it should match since its a new car, go back to dealer and have them check it out. maybe have a paint expert take a look at your car.
This....

Originally Posted by Costco
A problem that goes back to the WDP 3G and 2G TL not sure about the 1G, they may/may not have had the same issue. Every Honda and Acura with a white pearl-effect paint seems to have a mismatched bumper(s)
...and this....

Originally Posted by speedmaster
I had an '04 TL in White Diamond Pearl that had the same color variation. You'll get used to it. I don't notice it on my '12 Crystal Black Pearl TL though.
...and this too.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Thanks all for your input. I will probably get used to it. It's just an annoyance since the car is so new.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I haven't noticed it with my car but it probably is mismatched too.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
my WDP 3G & 4G both had it.. no biggie. actually, the Black (NBP & CBP) are the best colors, because the mismatch is barely noticeable. not sure about the newer 4G colors like MBM, BRP

mostly noticeable on overcast days.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Not as noticeable on the dark colored cars. Light colored cars worse especially with an added clear bra imo.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Here is the answer to your question...
http://www.ppg.com/coatings/refinish...umperColor.pdf
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Thanks Nexson and everyone else for your input. So I had a brief conversation with the Service Manager at my dealership yesterday and he asked me to go back today and meet with the Acura District Rep. The Service manager says Acura may offer to paint/blend the bumper color with the metal body? I have to talk with them later today to see if they will actually do it.

Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm just a bit uneasy about leaving a brand new car with the bodyshop for two weeks.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
its a problem that dates back to plastic bumpers....
Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4GTL
Thanks Nexson and everyone else for your input. So I had a brief conversation with the Service Manager at my dealership yesterday and he asked me to go back today and meet with the Acura District Rep. The Service manager says Acura may offer to paint/blend the bumper color with the metal body? I have to talk with them later today to see if they will actually do it.

Do you guys think it's worth it? I'm just a bit uneasy about leaving a brand new car with the bodyshop for two weeks.
- Quick update, just talked to the Service Advisor at the dealership and had to reschedule my appointment until next week since the Acura Factory Rep can't make it to the dealership today. Kind of a good thing since I would like to see what you all think. The service advisor was saying he personally wouldn't do it just because even with the slight color mismatch, the factory's paint job is still better than what bodyshops can do. Guess I will wait to talk to him first and see what options are out there...

Thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Slight variation here depending on lighting and shading. Not enough for me to pursue a remedy though. As you indicated, I would hate to make matters worse.
Agree 100%
Old 07-19-2011, 06:16 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
Don't do it. JNC2000 did the same and still is slightly mismatched.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I think that the colour mismatch for WDP was much more noticeable than that for BWP. It was one of the reasons why I did not get the WDP for my 2010 TL. However, the slight mismatch for BWP does not seem to bother me much at all.

Good decision on NOT to do anything about it.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Nexon. That's a good bit if information. I also think the OP has made the correct decision. It's so true that even the good shops can't duplicate the factory paint job. Plus the fact that when you sell the vehicle, the potential buyer might not accept the reason for the repaint if it comes up at all. A buyer is more likely to think the car was in an accident. All in all, I think this is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The issue is coverage plain and simple. Many factory paint jobs are too little paint to cover the variance between a flat black bumper and metallic steel. Darker colors typically are better at hiding the difference. IMHO many shops can easily exceed a factory paint job. Matching a factory paint job becomes tough because the factory paint is so thin that coverage becomes the issue since the factory uses less paint and the base color might be a factor. It not a defect, it just what Honda has decided is acceptable for the consumer. It is not unheard of to get the bumpers repainted but there are secondary issues you may deal with so it boils down to how much it irritates you.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is late but this happened to me recently. The colors look a bit different just because the bumper is plastic while the body is metal. I am not picky or anything and it doesn't look that bad... anyway

Someone scratched my front bumper for a 2012 BWP . I went to a "dealer authorized" body shop that is supposedly "the best in the area" after they fixed the scratches and painted half of the bumper and color coated the whole bumper ... the fixed side is now even worse (lighter and less yellowish white). He said they buffed it and repainted it again for it to match and it didnt. They even ordered the color from honda.

Thanks acura for all this inconvenience i have to deal with!

- Quick update, just talked to the Service Advisor at the dealership and had to reschedule my appointment until next week since the Acura Factory Rep can't make it to the dealership today. Kind of a good thing since I would like to see what you all think. The service advisor was saying he personally wouldn't do it just because even with the slight color mismatch, the factory's paint job is still better than what bodyshops can do. Guess I will wait to talk to him first and see what options are out there...

Thoughts? Thanks!!

Wondering if you ever did meet with him and how it turned out! I would like this fixed on mine too! Thanks

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-26-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I've had 4 WDP TL's in the last 12 years and all of them have had this issue. However, it doesn't stop me from owning it or bother me enough to get it redone. But it is your car so do what makes you happy. Hopefully any repaint doesn't come out worse if you go that route.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
I actually look for the mismatch, but i can't notice it on my BWP.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OrlandoM
Wondering if you ever did meet with him and how it turned out! I would like this fixed on mine too! Thanks
I actually ended up not getting it repainted. I went to several bodyshops (not associated with the dealership) in my area (Northern VA) and all have good reputations/reviews, they all said even though they would hate to turn down a job, they still advised me to not to do it because they cannot guarantee a perfect match, and it may impact the car's value when you trade/sell it later on if it makes it worse, plus it's no longer a factory paint job. Apparently, the pearl-effect paint color is notoriously difficult to match.

Your case is slightly different than mine since you have/had a scratch already and are trying to get it fixed. You may have to get the entire bumper repainted if you want the bumper to be the same color, but it would be hard to match the body. Even a year later, I still look at every white TL (3G and 4G), most seem have this issue, except the one I saw at the car show (of course) in January.

Also, "Thank you" to all who have provided their input for me back when I started this thread a while back.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-26-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
The following users liked this post:
OrlandoM (08-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I also now have a BWP

The funny thing this is one of my very strange pet peeves. I noticed it from 2004 when I started taking a serious look at the 3G. I absolutely believe it is a coverage issue, and because Acura paint is thin, the base material will make a difference in the final color. If you repaint the bumper then you don't match the body because that coverage is thinner. This is essentially what you found out going to the shops. I notice it on every Acura except black. I almost ordered a new 04 in black just because black was the only color that that I thought this was acceptable. Ended up with a used black one in 06. I then got the 08 TL-S in 10 which is copper bronze pearl and the bumper match is not all that great but I was happy to get a low mileage TL-S at a good price. Besides two black Acura TLs was not the most desired end result. The TL-S is still a car people stop to look at and none has ever mentioned the bumper mismatch as 99.9 of the population perceives there is no mismatch. Since you started this thread, I bought the 12 I could have had any one of the 4 6MT colors. I spent at least two hours on the lots looking at the 4 colors. For me BWP was the winner. Not a factor but a bonus it was a different color from the other two. I thought the BWP is the best match Acura has made on white. Not perfect, but very damn close and not the worst in the current TL lineup.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually ended up not getting it repainted. I went to several bodyshops (not associated with the dealership) in my area (Northern VA) and all have good reputations/reviews, they all said even though they would hate to turn down a job, they still advised me to not to do it because they cannot guarantee a perfect match, and it may impact the car's value when you trade/sell it later on if it makes it worse, plus it's no longer a factory paint job. Apparently, the pearl-effect paint color is notoriously difficult to match.

Your case is slightly different than mine since you have/had a scratch already and are trying to get it fixed. You may have to get the entire bumper repainted if you want the bumper to be the same color, but it would be hard to match the body. Even a year later, I still look at every white TL (3G and 4G), most seem have this issue, except the one I saw at the car show (of course) in January.
Well just got mine done, as you said they repainted the whole bumper. The guy at the body shop, "Falls Church Auto Body" In Northen VA, told me its hard to match because the color is so delicate and that depends on how many levels or layers is what makes the difference. He said even factory sometimes differ because these bumpers are not colored with the frame and installed after and thats why they can seem a bit different sometimes.

they fixed my bumper and I have to say... It looks EXACTLY the same now! So if your in the northen virginia area and you need any work on your car... i recommend them. they care about what the customer says so be picky and let them fix everything perfectly before taking the car back after service.