2012 Audi A7 vs. Acura TL: Rematch

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
My daughter lives up in Washington, and drives a Subaru!! But I think everyone in Washinton dives a Subaru!!
We almost bought a 2011 Subaru Outback, which I really liked. Despite their vast improvement, there was still something missing. They improved it to a point but did not quite make the Acura level. For example there was no gauge for the engine temperature and the Navi was mickey mouse and clearly an add on, without a lot of thought. Before you say that you can't compare an Acura to a Subaru, we were able to get with way better financing a 2011 RDX for less. IMHO, a better vehicle over all.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
That's a 1999-2003 MY Acura TL with FWD. What is your point? Actually, what is your REAL purpose on this forum? Are the Infiniti forums really that boring?

At least others who own different models on this forum seem to contribute with somewhat meaningful discussion. All you seem to do is look for ways to discredit those who hold the 2009+ MY Acura TL in high regard.

BTW, the part in bold is a serious question...
The following users liked this post:
SeismicGuy (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
There may be some who don't know about the Maxima, but I did. It may have been 6 second as long as you didn't fly into a curve or turn the wheel, torque steer was an issue back then.

You're definition of a sports sedan seems to different than mine.
Have you ever drove one??.. ..I mean drive in a proper way?? The Max had just a hint of torque steering (inevitable) way less than the back then competiton....as some magazines said, "way less unruly than the Saab 9-5 or the Acura TL"...

The car was a real joy in the twisties, the rear end was impressively planted on the ground and the limited slip diff allowed you to floor it exiting a curve biting into the ground....if you have a chance drive one...manual with limited slip diff....you may change your mind....the 525, 528 and 530 were what I called "real estate agent Bimmers" not driver Bimmers....

By the way, from Canadian driver magazine test of the 2002 Maxima

Like sports cars but really need room for the family? Enjoy rowing a shifter but find that any European sports sedan with a manual transmission is priced way out of range? Want luxury but wish to keep it low key?

Then you are in luck. The Nissan Maxima can provide all this and much more.

The Maxima has been Nissan's flagship sports sedan for more than two
decades. None offers sportier performance than the 2002 Maxima SE. Let's
start with its drivetrain. Two hundred and fifty-five horses out of a
3.5 litre DOHC V6 move the Maxima out with style. Variable valve timing
and equal length tuned exhaust with a variable capacity muffler are a
couple of features that create this power throughout the rpm range. This
engine design has been rated as one of Ward's Auto World's '10 Best
Engines' for seven consecutive years and it is easy to see why. It revs
quickly, runs so smooth you have to listen carefully to see if it is
running, pulls strongly at any rpm, and gets excellent fuel economy too

Maxima GXE and GLE models come only with automatic transmissions, but
the six speed manual gearbox equipped SE model is well worth the $1000 upgrade from a GXE model. This gearbox shifts as smooth as a hot
knife in butter and the light but progressive feel of the clutch makes
the car easy to drive in city stop and go traffic. I absolutely love the
feel of this manual gearbox. For those that don't like to shift, an
optional automatic transmission adds a thousand dollars to the bottom
line.

Power is put to the ground through 225/50 VR17 tires. Although the
Maxima is a front wheel drive car, it has a balance and feel of a rear
wheel drive model. Step on the throttle a little hard in lower gears and
you may get a little squeal from one front tire before the limited slip
differential kicks in. There is no traction control system on the
six-speed equipped Maxima SE although all models with automatic
transmission receive this feature.

A sports car must handle, and the Maxima does. The SE's suspension has
received a few tweaks to make the sedan more responsive to driver
inputs. Push the car aggressively into a corner and you are rewarded
with balanced and predictable handling. Push it to the limits and the
car begins to understeer slightly. The SE's ride is firmer than the
other Maxima models, but never objectionable. The Maxima SE is a
driver's car, but one that the whole family can enjoy.

Step on the brakes hard and the four-wheel disc brakes quickly slow the
car down. Brake assist automatically helps apply full braking during
emergencies, and the ABS allows drivers to steer while braking.

So evidently your definition of what is a crappy sport sedan is quite unique....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-29-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by atruedsgb
That's a 1999-2003 MY Acura TL with FWD. What is your point? Actually, what is your REAL purpose on this forum? Are the Infiniti forums really that boring?

At least others who own different models on this forum seem to contribute with somewhat meaningful discussion. All you seem to do is look for ways to discredit those who hold the 2009+ MY Acura TL in high regard.

There's always one or two in every forum!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Have to admit this is a fun forum...kind of like eating peanuts its hard to just have one post. Think the basic laws of physics says anything can & will get stuck or skid in the snow. Some systems can raise the threshold a bit over another especially on winter tires but no ones car is snow proof once the snow depth exceeds the drivers or cars level of competence.

I leave the 4X4 cars home & use the 4X4 pickup in the snow because I can lock all four wheels, use Hi & Low range as necessary, it has mud/snow tires with good ground clearance giving it a pretty good resistance to getting stuck. Or at least go through snow that is a lot deeper then my cars can. That does not mean that I can just flail around doing what I please without getting stuck.

I think most drivers can do OK under conditions that suit the car they have but people tend to believe the marketing BS & get themselves into ditches with 4X4’s because they are inexperienced &/or over drive the cars capabilities & don’t have winter tires “because they have a 4X4”.

As far as anything being able to get stuck in the snow I spent more then a few winters in the Army pulling all kinds of interesting stuff out of ditches & snow banks. My MOS was senior tracked vehicle recovery mechanic & in bad weather I pulled a collection from main battle tanks through APC’s, 6X6’s & 4X4’s out of assorted ditches & snow banks back onto the road.

One thing to think about it was not that many years ago when pretty much the only people who had a 4X4 drove a Jeep product. The rest of us seemed to have somehow managed to get around pretty well with 2X4’s in the winter.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ you need to see this:

Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
that's why i bought a subaru

Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by swoosh
I have seen it more the once...what exactly does it prove?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Have you ever drove one??.. ..I mean drive in a proper way?? The Max had just a hint of torque steering (inevitable) way less than the back then competiton....as some magazines said, "way less unruly than the Saab 9-5 or the Acura TL"...

The car was a real joy in the twisties, the rear end was impressively planted on the ground and the limited slip diff allowed you to floor it exiting a curve biting into the ground....if you have a chance drive one...manual with limited slip diff....you may change your mind....the 525, 528 and 530 were what I called "real estate agent Bimmers" not driver Bimmers....

By the way, from Canadian driver magazine test of the 2002 Maxima

Like sports cars but really need room for the family? Enjoy rowing a shifter but find that any European sports sedan with a manual transmission is priced way out of range? Want luxury but wish to keep it low key?

Then you are in luck. The Nissan Maxima can provide all this and much more.

The Maxima has been Nissan's flagship sports sedan for more than two
decades. None offers sportier performance than the 2002 Maxima SE. Let's
start with its drivetrain. Two hundred and fifty-five horses out of a
3.5 litre DOHC V6 move the Maxima out with style. Variable valve timing
and equal length tuned exhaust with a variable capacity muffler are a
couple of features that create this power throughout the rpm range. This
engine design has been rated as one of Ward's Auto World's '10 Best
Engines' for seven consecutive years and it is easy to see why. It revs
quickly, runs so smooth you have to listen carefully to see if it is
running, pulls strongly at any rpm, and gets excellent fuel economy too.

Maxima GXE and GLE models come only with automatic transmissions, but
the six speed manual gearbox equipped SE model is well worth the $1000 upgrade from a GXE model. This gearbox shifts as smooth as a hot
knife in butter and the light but progressive feel of the clutch makes
the car easy to drive in city stop and go traffic. I absolutely love the
feel of this manual gearbox. For those that don't like to shift, an
optional automatic transmission adds a thousand dollars to the bottom
line.
Power is put to the ground through 225/50 VR17 tires. Although the
Maxima is a front wheel drive car, it has a balance and feel of a rear
wheel drive model. Step on the throttle a little hard in lower gears and
you may get a little squeal from one front tire before the limited slip
differential kicks in. There is no traction control system on the
six-speed equipped Maxima SE although all models with automatic
transmission receive this feature.

A sports car must handle, and the Maxima does. The SE's suspension has
received a few tweaks to make the sedan more responsive to driver
inputs. Push the car aggressively into a corner and you are rewarded
with balanced and predictable handling. Push it to the limits and the
car begins to understeer slightly. The SE's ride is firmer than the
other Maxima models, but never objectionable. The Maxima SE is a
driver's car, but one that the whole family can enjoy.
Step on the brakes hard and the four-wheel disc brakes quickly slow the
car down. Brake assist automatically helps apply full braking during
emergencies, and the ABS allows drivers to steer while braking.

So evidently your definition of what is a crappy sport sedan is quite unique....
Well I owned two. 'Nuff said, at least for me on the Maxima subject.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atruedsgb

I know it is. But the post about the M37 was equally out of school. Yeah Infiniti forums are boring, but you can come over and liven them up and see if anybody asks you what your real purpose is. It's all good, don't be so serious.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Well I owned two.
hmm....this make your comments on the Max even more odd....when you made your CVT comment you did not know that the 5th gen never had a CVT?? It came only with the 7th gen or maybe the end run of the 6th....

Which generation you did own (and when) and what transmission?? Used?? New??

...and if it was so bad (and ugly as you stated) why owning two??? If you think the 530 was so much better sport sedan than the crappy Maxima why you did not buy one, the ultimate gem, instead of the crappy Max?? Makes me wonder...

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

hmm....this make your comments on the Max even more odd....when you made your CVT comment you did not know that the 5th gen never had a CVT?? It came only with the 7th gen or maybe the end run of the 6th....

Which generation you did own (and when) and what transmission?? Used?? New??

...and if it was so bad (and ugly as you stated) why owning two??? If you think the 530 was so much better sport sedan than the crappy Maxima why you did not buy one, the ultimate gem, instead of the crappy Max?? Makes me wonder...
Hmm. Got rid of my last Maxima in 2001ish. After that I was not interested in owning one again. However, the torque steer comment in the boards I followed seemed prevalent. The next year I picked up a 330i.

About 2005 I totally lost all interest in the Maxima as Nissan IMO made them really fugly. This last generation(7) is much better, although depending on how the body is view it seems out of proportion to me.

Anyway a LSD on the front-axle does not a sports sedan make, IMO.

To answer your question about the tranny, auto. I gave up driving a manual after 12 years. I'm not a purist and believe a good drive can be had from an auto. The gov't is going to make sure manuals disappear anyway.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Hmm. Got rid of my last Maxima in 2001ish. After that I was not interested in owning one again. However, the torque steer comment in the boards I followed seemed prevalent. The next year I picked up a 330i.

About 2005 I totally lost all interest in the Maxima as Nissan IMO made them really fugly. This last generation(7) is much better, although depending on how the body is view it seems out of proportion to me.

So the most recent Maxima you owned was probably the 4th gen with the 190 HP engine....very different animal than the 5.5 gen with the 6 speed, the new 3.5 VQ35 and 255 Horses (and much improved suspension)...and I agree that the 4th gen was not exaclty a beauty.....

I actually loved the look of the 6th gen, very bold and modern, "look at me" sort of thing (almost a 4th gen TL of its time), beautiful the quad exhaust...the only relatively questionable part (easily remedied) was the front grille and the cabin material quality took definitely a step back from the fifth and 5.5 generation (starting from the 6th gen, it was assembled in USA rather than in Japan). It was a bit less sporty (significantly bigger and heavier), power/weight ratio took a hit so did agility and acceleration and numbers.

Torque steer on the 5.5 was just a hint...it was there but definitely not obnoxious....have you ever drove one?? (6 speed + LSD)

Anyway a LSD on the front-axle does not a sports sedan make, IMO.
I totally agree....RWD does not a sport sedan make also...otherwise a Crown Victoria would be sportier than a Maxima....

LSD and an extra gear are high on my wish list for a sporty driving experience...

LSDs are a very desiderable thing on the axle that transmit power to the ground...front or rear does not matter....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-29-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

G37guy, an interesting clip for you..

This 1995 Nissan promo video for the debut of the 4th gen Maxima claims that "independent tests conducted by automotive consulting companies" proved that the 4th gen was able to go faster than a 5 Series on an evasive action test and on a slalom course....granted this is 1995 and they tested the then new Maxima with the outgoing 5 Series E34....still it is something to think about...

Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^this. The i6 of the day got its head handed to it on a silver platter by the vq. This I agree. What was said at the time what the 330/530 lacked in oomph it made up for it in finesse. BMW was also criticsed for lack of an LSD on the manual 530 except for the 540 iirc. (I may not recollect totally)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Have to admit this is a fun forum...kind of like eating peanuts its hard to just have one post. Think the basic laws of physics says anything can & will get stuck or skid in the snow. Some systems can raise the threshold a bit over another especially on winter tires but no ones car is snow proof once the snow depth exceeds the drivers or cars level of competence.

I leave the 4X4 cars home & use the 4X4 pickup in the snow because I can lock all four wheels, use Hi & Low range as necessary, it has mud/snow tires with good ground clearance giving it a pretty good resistance to getting stuck. Or at least go through snow that is a lot deeper then my cars can. That does not mean that I can just flail around doing what I please without getting stuck.

I think most drivers can do OK under conditions that suit the car they have but people tend to believe the marketing BS & get themselves into ditches with 4X4’s because they are inexperienced &/or over drive the cars capabilities & don’t have winter tires “because they have a 4X4”.
As far as anything being able to get stuck in the snow I spent more then a few winters in the Army pulling all kinds of interesting stuff out of ditches & snow banks. My MOS was senior tracked vehicle recovery mechanic & in bad weather I pulled a collection from main battle tanks through APC’s, 6X6’s & 4X4’s out of assorted ditches & snow banks back onto the road.

One thing to think about it was not that many years ago when pretty much the only people who had a 4X4 drove a Jeep product. The rest of us seemed to have somehow managed to get around pretty well with 2X4’s in the winter.
I couldn't agree more, when it snows or snow is in the forecast, I leave the Beemer home and take my 4-wheel drive SUV mounted with Pirelli snow tires. I've been through some pretty nasty snowstorms and she never missed a beat and also done my share of helping people out of some very bad situations.

I'm rather old school and prefer the driving experiance of rear wheel drive in my cars. I'm sure AWD does a decent job in the snow, but I pulled plenty of them out of heavy snow graves. There is AWD and true 4 wheel drive and when it's nasty, I'll take the "True" 4 wheel every time.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^^near my neck of the woods. The day After last years Christmas 2010 snowstorm my Subie was taking me safely up rt 9 to the gsp. Never missed a beat. Don't need a 4x4 only a good awd. It was that trip I saw big ford and big SUVs in places I could only imagine how they got there.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Instructor

^^^^^near my neck of the woods. The day After last years Christmas 2010 snowstorm my Subie was taking me safely up rt 9 to the gsp. Never missed a beat. Don't need a 4x4 only a good awd. It was that trip I saw big ford and big SUVs in places I could only imagine how they got there.
That storm here in Jersey was 34 inches. My neighbor with a 4 Wheel Drive Pilot or should I say AWD was stuck on RT 18 coming home from work. His wife called me frantically asking to go help him. It was so bad the State Police weren't allowing anyone on RT 18. I had to prove to him I had 4 wheel drive and snow tires before he would let me on the road.

Long story short, hooked up with a cable and pulled him out.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
That storm here in Jersey was 34 inches. My neighbor with a 4 Wheel Drive Pilot or should I say AWD was stuck on RT 18 coming home from work. His wife called me frantically asking to go help him. It was so bad the State Police weren't allowing anyone on RT 18. I had to prove to him I had 4 wheel drive and snow tires before he would let me on the road.

Long story short, hooked up with a cable and pulled him out.
Which "4 wheel drive" vehicle do you have?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Rt 9 & Ernston road was always a pain in the ass when it snowed. As a matter fact it was a pain in the ass most times. We used to bypass the light at the top of the hill by running through the garden apartments at the bottom the hill & coming out on the other side of the light up toward the GSP entrance. Best we could do coming how was run the second lane on the GSP & jump the line at the Rt 9 exit to the accompaniment of the one finger salutes from the good citizens. Spent near 25 years doing Freehold Twps. to Wall Street & Spring Lake to Wall Street before I moved to the UK.

Lots of winter trips back home from city in a Corvette up to its butt in snow when an unexpected storm broke during the day. Think my record was 12 hours to get home when a late morning storm built up snow very quickly.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned

I agree ont he good AWD...Subarus are awesome, my wife's family is full of Subaru (she is currently driving a WRX STI)

All you need is an AWD with real limited slip differentials and, most importantly, good winter tires (or studded is even better...the new ones are not that noise and they do nto suck too much on dry pavement)

The TL behaves extremely good in the snow...the rear/centre diff (the heart of the SH-AWD system) it works as limited slip diff by its own design and at the front you have the usual electronic LSD simulation (selective use of brakes and throttle control)

Obviously the real problem for a regular AWD car (especially a sport sedan that tends to be lower to the ground) is clearance when there is snow accumulation.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Banned

BMW was also criticsed for lack of an LSD on the manual 530 except for the 540 iirc. (I may not recollect totally)

The 540i obviously would smoke my Maxima by any possible measurement....but at double the price (even more if you did want to bring the equipment at the same level of a fully loaded Max)

Incidentally, this is exactly what The Car Connection said at when they tested an '02 Max 6 Speed at the end of 2001.

"To smoke the '02 Maxima requires you to step up a demographic (or three) and select from such machinery as the Lexus GS series, or the standard-bearer of four-door sports cars, the superlative BMW 540i six-speed"

The MSRP of a BMW 540i 6 speed at that time was over 53K....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-30-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Instructor

Rt 9 & Ernston road was always a pain in the ass when it snowed. As a matter fact it was a pain in the ass most times. We used to bypass the light at the top of the hill by running through the garden apartments at the bottom the hill & coming out on the other side of the light up toward the GSP entrance. Best we could do coming how was run the second lane on the GSP & jump the line at the Rt 9 exit to the accompaniment of the one finger salutes from the good citizens. Spent near 25 years doing Freehold Twps. to Wall Street & Spring Lake to Wall Street before I moved to the UK.

Lots of winter trips back home from city in a Corvette up to its butt in snow when an unexpected storm broke during the day. Think my record was 12 hours to get home when a late morning storm built up snow very quickly.
Sounds to me like I'm living in your old neighborhood. Heavy traffic and snow together at the same time really creates huge traffic jams around here. Once you throw a few accidents in the mix, inexperianced snow drivers, and drivers with bald tires, you're destine for a long commute.

The night on Rt18 I helped my neighbor, I was zigging & zagging around abandoned cars like cones on a slalom course. Too bad most people wouldn't ever consider a set of snows for their cars. Snow tires make all the difference.

At the time my SUV was a Nissan Pathfinder and now I'm armed this winter with a new Jeep Cherokee Summit. This new Jeep is incredible!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Sounds to me like I'm living in your old neighborhood. Heavy traffic and snow together at the same time really creates huge traffic jams around here. Once you throw a few accidents in the mix, inexperianced snow drivers, and drivers with bald tires, you're destine for a long commute.

The night on Rt18 I helped my neighbor, I was zigging & zagging around abandoned cars like cones on a slalom course. Too bad most people wouldn't ever consider a set of snows for their cars. Snow tires make all the difference.

At the time my SUV was a Nissan Pathfinder and now I'm armed this winter with a new Jeep Cherokee Summit. This new Jeep is incredible!
Yes, RT18 was a disaster, absolute unmitigated disaster. I had a Grand Cherokee LTD with Quadradrive II years back, which could deliver torque to any one wheel. Nothing stopped that beast. I'm out of the SUV world now, I'm trying to do my part to cut down on the gas-house effect.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

That was way back when, that intersection is now an overpass. GSP entrace is two lanes. A serious amount of construction was in place for years that helped to move traffic. the only thing the construction couldn't resolve was stupid drivers.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Yes, RT18 was a disaster, absolute unmitigated disaster. I had a Grand Cherokee LTD with Quadradrive II years back, which could deliver torque to any one wheel. Nothing stopped that beast. I'm out of the SUV world now, I'm trying to do my part to cut down on the gas-house effect.

Agreed, we mainly purchased the 4 wheel drive for the beach, snow, Vermont and any other bad weather. Being it's a 3rd car, most of the time it's on a trickle charger.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM

I have not test driven the new 2012 Jeep Cherokee yet, but from what I've read of the reviews and seen on the website, it looks like a pretty awesome SUV (esp the gas guzzling, sports car worthy SRT8 )

As my child is getting older/bigger and I'm finding the need for more space/luggage, I'm tempted to lease a SUV through my business (if the numbers make sense of course).
Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
TL Check
[youtube]CuWRP0jIhuA[/youtube]
Not really surprised to see a 2G stuck in snow. I thought you were talking about AWD's?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Instructor

[/B]

Agreed, we mainly purchased the 4 wheel drive for the beach, snow, Vermont and any other bad weather. Being it's a 3rd car, most of the time it's on a trickle charger.
Hey doc, you want to laugh? Put your mouse on -> AWD
Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Hey doc, you want to laugh? Put your mouse on -> AWD
Come again? I see Post 13450811 when the mouse is on AWD.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
Come again? I see Post 13450811 when the mouse is on AWD.
Sorry, I guess it didn't work for you. Our earlier posts we posted about the new Jeep Cherokee. Well I noticed the "AWD" was a link in blue on an earlier post and I clicked on it and a Jeep Cherokee advertisement appeared.

Thought it might work for everyone.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:40 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Funny that you mention the Maxima...it has always been considered more upscale than an Accord or a Camry (and much more sporty).
When I got my 2002 Maxima (6 Speed, Titanium Edition fully loaded) it offered tremendous value for the money (a throbbing ultra refined V6, 6 speed, HID lights, limited slip diff, state of the art navigation for that time, a fantastic BOSE stereo system, excellent build quality, it was assembled in Japan)
I think the 5th generation was the best Maxima ever....at that time, for example, I did not think the Acura TL offered anything significant to justify spending the extra coin.
I have to agree with you Saturno-V as I bought my wife a 1992 Maxima SE which after 126,000 miles and today the guy I sold it to is still driving it and I then bought a 2003 Maxima Titanium Edition and still own it and have given it to my daughter to drive.
And guess what, my wife does NOT like her TL and wants her Maxima back?????
So in the very near future I may take the TL and buy her a new Maxima again since she seems to be in love with them.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I know it is. But the post about the M37 was equally out of school. Yeah Infiniti forums are boring, but you can come over and liven them up and see if anybody asks you what your real purpose is. It's all good, don't be so serious.
Actually my video made way more sense than yours did bud. I showed you a video of a AWD infiniti regardless if it was a G or not and you posted a video of a FWD TL.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Lets see.... Acura SH-AWD price, around 40K. Audi A7 price, around 60K. So, 20K higher price gets me a car that is only 2 second faster than my TL.... Yeah, I will stick with my TL and spend 12K out of that 20K I saved on a Honda CBR 600RR, and will challenge the Audi R8 in a straight line race.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
Actually my video made way more sense than yours did bud. I showed you a video of a AWD infiniti regardless if it was a G or not and you posted a video of a FWD TL.
Actually both videos were pointless. All cars slip and slide.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The very best part of the video is to see how good looking the TL is in comparison to the A7. It's at least as good looking if not better.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
For the most part, the test seemed reasonable if you ignore the gravel part of it. I keep wondering how the outcome would have been if the Acura received a 1K tire upgrade and if that would have shaved off the 1.5 second difference. If that didn't do it then spend another 2K on a better suspension setup (bars and/or shocks) and then it would only be a 17K difference and my bet is the Acura would have won. The one thing the driver kept saying was he liked SH-AWD more so that would be hard to 'upgrade' for the Audi without some serious coin.

The other thing I have to wonder about is how good of a shifter the driver really was with the 6MT - maybe he would have done better in an Auto possibly.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Driving around in 1st gear around cones is a real-life everyday test? Okay then.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi

I'd put my money on the Audi. Great car, quiet sound, takes off like a jet German engineering is timeless. Yes Acura makes really reliable cars, so does Toyota, etc... Just saying I'd rather own a German luxury car over Honda.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Dat bump.

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi A7 vs. Acura TL: Rematch