2012 - Acura TL - Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 - Acura TL - Checklist

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 Acura TL - Tech Package here in St. Louis. It has 114k miles and I am already figuring out it is due for a timing belt/water pump replacement. The car is running great and is in excellent condition. What are some of the items to check for or look into now that I am the owner?

1) Update navigation system?
2) How do I see if my maps are up to date?
3) Is there any software besides navigation that could or should be updated?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
If I recall, you can hit the info button then select "Map Data Update Status" to see what version you currently have. I don't know if that shows the actual year it was last updated but you can probably look up whatever version number it gives you to find out. The dealer can also tell you if you need an update. The version I have is the original map from 2012 but I have no interest in paying $150 for something that's free through Google Maps. You can get it for $100 when it goes on sale toward the end of the year. And sometimes Acura runs a special if you're subscribed to their emails.

I'd also go into the dealer to see if the ECU update has been done. It's especially important for proper function of the torque converter. Print this off and take it with you since dealers can be stupid and not even aware of the need for an update:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-030.PDF
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

Awesome catch on the ECU update. Since this involves transmission fluid being replaced, I assume that this isn't a recall.

I was also leaning toward the notion of "what is the point of spending that kind of money when Google Maps is free". No point of spending money just for the sake of having updated roads that I would never travel on anyway.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The following is posted at the top of the New Member Introductions forum: Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

Since this is a topic/technical issue which will require replies and discussion, this thread has been moved to the model specific forum
Old 08-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
The nav update is currently on sale for $99 with free shipping.

https://acuranavi.navigation.com/pro...US/AcuraNA/USD
Old 08-31-2019, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey I'm from St. Louis as well! Welcome!

I own a 2013 Acura Tl SH-AWD with the Tech Package. I'm currently sitting on 190K with my car, bought last year with 170k

Now that you are the new owner, I would do all of the maintenance with the new ownership and especially just getting over 100k. I went over board and did a lot of unnecessary maintenance, but should give you and idea on what you may want to check up on.

- Torque Converter Update with Acura (Free) You can just walk in and they'll do that for ya
- Oil Consumption Test with the 3.7 V6 (Free) But that was good until September 1st.. so I'm not sure how you can handle that now. I would go to Goul Khan, my service advisor at Mungenast Acura on Manchester. He is the best person to work with and VERY informative on our vehicles.
- Spark plus, buy OE from AutoZone and go to an independent shop, they will charge you much much less
- Coolant flush, recommended every 5 years? Don't quote me on that.
- Timing belt, water pump, thermostat at 110k
- Transmission fluid, needs to be flushed or drain and fill every 30k. This is an easy DIY! ONLY USE OE Honda fluid! I change mine every other oil change to just keep fresh fluid.
- Transmission filter replacement
- Rear differential fluid drain and fill (only if you have the SH-AWD of course) again easy DIY!
- Brake fluid (Acura charges $149, or you can buy the OE DOT 3 fluid from the Honda parts department and save your self a few dollars) If you bring your own fluid in, they'll charge you just $99 for the service

Again, you don't need to do all of these unnecessary things. I've just done it because I love this car so much and I can't wait to take it past 250K!
Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

4GTL-CBP,

You read my mind in that I have already reached out to Mungenast Acura and have scheduled my timing belt, water pump and thermostat. They had a $200 off coupon that expired yesterday, but they allowed it to extend for me until January when I take mine in.

Since I don't have the service records from the previous owner (2nd owner), I will most likely get the others taken care of for peace of mind:
- Transmission fluid
- Transmission filter replacement

and these that I would have never thought of...
- Torque Converter Update
- Oil Consumption Test

Thanks again for the info and maybe I'll see you around in the STL.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

And two more items that I have already ordered and will get taken care of once I receive them...

- Navigation update (from version 2.3 to 3.9)
- Zaino Z-10 Leather in a bottle (x 2) and Leather Softner