2011 design change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 design change?

This was mentioned in my other post. Anyone else hear anything about a significant design change for 2011? Also, when do the 2011's typically come out?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
The 2011's should be out in September, I believe. I am also curious about them as the lease on my 08 expires in February. I guess we'll just have to be patient as anything up until about July-August will just be speculation or rumor.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Yup, it's wait and see until the fall... All are rumors until then.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you saw most of the changes in the 09/10 model. They might tweak a couple of more things but I don't think you'll see any real changes till the 12/13 model.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a 6 speed auto ??
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacked-out
Maybe a 6 speed auto ??
I would think the 6-speed would be a given considering its availability in the ZDX and the competition's offerings. I am "hoping" (begging?) for some tweaks to the "beak" and perhaps some to the interior like cooled seats. I'm not getting my hopes up on the latter two but am trying to be optimistic. Of course, all these things would come with no price increase!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
I would think the 6-speed would be a given considering its availability in the ZDX and the competition's offerings. I am "hoping" (begging?) for some tweaks to the "beak" and perhaps some to the interior like cooled seats. I'm not getting my hopes up on the latter two but am trying to be optimistic. Of course, all these things would come with no price increase!
I'm also hoping for the same thing!! New 6 speed auto, ventilated seats, fixed the grill, (also hoping for panoramic moonroof, adjustable suspension, side assist, advance package) i'm trading my 2010 in.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
I'm also hoping for the same thing!! New 6 speed auto, ventilated seats, fixed the grill, (also hoping for panoramic moonroof, adjustable suspension, side assist, advance package) i'm trading my 2010 in.
If the 2011 gets all that, expect at least a $8K price bump......that's how much the Advance package is on the ZDX.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PetesTL
If the 2011 gets all that, expect at least a $8K price bump......that's how much the Advance package is on the ZDX.
Well from the tech --> advance package, it's a $6k price bump

but if they somehow engineering a panoramic moonroof, it'll be another $1k at least.

Honestly, i wouldn't mind paying for a TL with all those features. It would sticker for $49-50k, but i'm sure i could haggle it down to $46-47k out the door, which would still be a relative bargain since you'd be paying 55-60k+ for those features on (for example) a 5 series sedan.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

but if they somehow engineering a panoramic moonroof, it'll be another $1k at least.

Honestly, i wouldn't mind paying for a TL with all those features. It would sticker for $49-50k, but i'm sure i could haggle it down to $46-47k out the door, which would still be a relative bargain since you'd be paying 55-60k+ for those features on (for example) a 5 series sedan.
While I would welcome those improvement and feature additions, I don't know if the price could jump that high even with those new features. They have to add a lot more then that if they are going to charge the high 40's to near 50k for a loaded TL. I'm talking stuff, in addition to the advance package, like power tilt/telescoping steering column, auto dimming side mirrors, power rear window shade, rear heated seats, rear audio/climate controls, heated steering wheel and then those prices might sound more reasonable for the TL.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Traditionally the TLs have three models years before they get their midlife facelift.

99,00,01, then 02 facelift

04,05,06, then 07 facelift

Sooooo naturally I predict it will be the 2012 that gets the facelift with the 09,10, and 11 being the first models.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Yea, except those were times when the sales were not tanking due to the "progressive" design. I'd bet they do 1/2 a MMC this year, with a new grille, and maybe a couple of other small upgrades. Then maybe 2012 come with the full MMC. I don't think they can wait another year without bringing a new design change to sell more cars.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

The TL does not compete with a 5 series, no matter what the content. A big part of the reason why the 4G sales have been so slow (apart from the styling) is due to the price increase. If someone would have told me 4-5 years ago that the 4G TL would retail for close to $45K, I would have thought they were crazy! Acura needs to be very careful as they go forward with the TL. They are not a "marquee" brand like BMW or Mercedes, so they have to price their vehicles accordingly. I mean look at the ZDX.....a loaded one costs $60K.....same as a BMW X5.....and I have yet to see a single ZDX on the road so far. A big part of Acura's traditional appeal has been innovation and value. Look at the sorry state of the RL and the axed NSX. While BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti have been producing hybrids, diesels, advanced turbos, 7-and 8-sp. transmissions, Acura is still bragging about SH-AWD which was introduced years ago. The playing field is not the same when the 3G was introduced. It's a whole lot more crowded and tougher. Acura has the unenviable task of being competitive yet remaining "reachable" for the average consumer. A part of the reason why their overall sales have been on the decline the past several years is because they have, in my opinion, failed on both counts.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Perception always seems to trump reality. I've said it before, I think the biggest critics (as well as many repeat Acura owners) reside right here at Acurazine.

I know from the comments I've heard on the street, there's not been one negative comment I've heard about my 4G. Matter of fact, it's been the opposite. I've experienced a genuine "thumbs up" from whomever has seen (and driven with me) for the 4G. That includes some Audi and BMW owners, too.....especially when I tell them the price of a 4G.

Maybe Acura is a little ahead of the curve as far as who considers what a premium car (everyone I've talked to personally, thinks it compares well with their "premium cars"). Yeah, I get the "look" from Infinit G owners when passing them. But, I think that's because they probably cross shopped the G against the TL (as did most of us).

If things went sideways for Acura, it was with the scuttling of future plans for the RL when the rest of the car manufacturers went scrambling a year or two ago.

I believe the RL was supposed to slot in the "big" lux sedan category. That didn't happen (obviously).

All along, I believe that the TL was meant to slot as a "tweener" between a 3 and 5 series, or between an A4 and A6. It will take more than just one model year to get mind share to do that.

As of now, considering how non-competitive the RL (except for the die hard faithful), the TL has slotted into the top offering from Acura. It's got the best motor Acura builds. It's got the top SH AWD (that used to be the sole province of the RL).

Still, aside from a little side ways bump in the road with my 1st 4G, I'm even more pleased with the one I have now. I don't regret getting my TL over any of the others I test drove, which included...

-G37x
-335ix
-A4 Quatro
-Mercedes C300 4matic
-Cadillac CTS4
Old 05-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Eh go join some other forums. If you think the big critics are here....haha.

Anyway, at most maybe they would change the grille out. That seems to be the only huge complaint that people have.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PetesTL
The TL does not compete with a 5 series, no matter what the content. A big part of the reason why the 4G sales have been so slow (apart from the styling) is due to the price increase. If someone would have told me 4-5 years ago that the 4G TL would retail for close to $45K, I would have thought they were crazy! Acura needs to be very careful as they go forward with the TL. They are not a "marquee" brand like BMW or Mercedes, so they have to price their vehicles accordingly. I mean look at the ZDX.....a loaded one costs $60K.....same as a BMW X5.....and I have yet to see a single ZDX on the road so far. A big part of Acura's traditional appeal has been innovation and value. Look at the sorry state of the RL and the axed NSX. While BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti have been producing hybrids, diesels, advanced turbos, 7-and 8-sp. transmissions, Acura is still bragging about SH-AWD which was introduced years ago. The playing field is not the same when the 3G was introduced. It's a whole lot more crowded and tougher. Acura has the unenviable task of being competitive yet remaining "reachable" for the average consumer. A part of the reason why their overall sales have been on the decline the past several years is because they have, in my opinion, failed on both counts.

Buddy, I agree on most of what you said. Acura needs to step up on a few things. The ZDX, however, is a response to the X6 not the X5. While the X6 has a tad bit more room, the ZDX sets a new bar for technology and uniqueness.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ArtInSouthCoast
Buddy, I agree on most of what you said. Acura needs to step up on a few things. The ZDX, however, is a response to the X6 not the X5. While the X6 has a tad bit more room, the ZDX sets a new bar for technology and uniqueness.

Does the X6 even need a response? Are they selling like hotcakes? Acura has no business selling a $60K crossover period. They should have used that money in R&D and invested in their forgotten flagship, the RL. Like I said before, Acura is NOT a marquee brand like BMW or Mercedes. The reason why the VW Phaeton failed a few years back is not because the Phaeton was a bad car (actually it was an excellent A8 clone), but rather no luxury car buyer in their right mind would spend $70K+ on a VW. In order for Acura to succeed, they need to target and appeal to their core demographic--the price conscious consumer looking for an affordable luxury car. While it's nice to fatten the gadget list on the TL, it will undoubtedly raise the price ever higher and make it that much more unreachable for those shopping for an entry-level luxury car.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

I would like to offer the following thoughts....

-Infiniti has not produced any diesels or hybrids to my knowledge. The M is supposed to be a candidate for the first of both. Infiniti also hasn't done any turbocharged cars to my knowledge either, and neither has Lexus in this regard.

-What new bar does the ZDX raise for technology? The hidden dash lighting feature thing is cool but that's all I can think of.

-I agree there's a LOT of things other than the ZDX that Acura should have done. However in truth the design is all that was necessary. The transmission and engine are both Acura staples (or soon to be) with no real revisions. Same for the platform and probably almost all of the electronics. In short it was probably a fairly low cost project for development that they can make some coin off of by charging the outrageous price. And I hate the X6 but it has easily outsold BMW's projections so far (or so I've read), so expect more than just Acura to come into this game.

-TL's price isn't so much the issue, but it's the fact that it's still a little low on content compared to others in that price range. Others offer blind spot monitoring, cooled seats, heated steering wheels, heated rear seats, and lots of other things. Frankly a freaking 2011 Kia Optima has a heated steering wheel and rear seats option, plus a panoramic roof....yet a fully loaded TL offers none of those features or others. But the biggest problem is that Acuras are still perceived as the fancy Hondas that they are. Infiniti and Lexus are far less tied to their mainstream brands in the eyes of the public. That's because Acura designs up until recently were too Honda like, and the interiors along with the basic feel of the vehicles are still very Honda-esque.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

The 2011 TSX wagon's beak is different from the 2010 beak. Maybe a similar change will be available on the TL?

http://www.acura.com/FutureVehiclesTSX.aspx#/section2
Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

The insert is the only thing that looks different to me.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
The insert is the only thing that looks different to me.
yeah but for 2010 there is no insert, it's actually part of the grill. It would look even more out of place if they did that imo lol
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

That wouldn't really help the TL's look any in my opinion. The problem with the TL's grille is its sheer size, not what's inside it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:02 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ you got it, if only Acura's exterior design team realized that..
Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Instructor

^+2
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I think folks focus on the grille to much as if there is nothing else on the front end. If you do that with the 2001 Infiniti M you'd notice it's not that stylish or attractive and mimics the Jag...but overall fits. I believe Acura has more of an under dog image. They were the 1st Japanese company to create a second division and they chose performance, function, and the art of engineering over fluff and suave sheet metal. Over the past 3 weeks I've seen 4 new TL's and 3 SH-AWD's either in the parking lot at my job or on the road. Folks who have the 3G TL's are always saying they want one like mine now and the TSX owners are feeling. I've heard 2 negative comments, an old Lexus owner who commented about the grill being to big but was funny a LS IS 350 owner told him you're crazy it's hot. And a 2010 Camaro owner who also said he doesn't like the grill on his car either.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

I think we focus on the grille because that's what's ugly. The rest of the car looks great, even in front, to most.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
That wouldn't really help the TL's look any in my opinion. The problem with the TL's grille is its sheer size, not what's inside it.
Exactly man! I think that is what the problem is. Its not the actual design of the shield grill that people have a problem with but with the overall size. This is true because if it wasn't, the MDX and TSX would not sell as well as they do and they have the same shield grill, except it is much smaller and looks much more proportional to the size of those vehicles!

I think if Acura got rid of that cheap imitation chrome trapezoid border/frame they have around the actual shield grill, and made that the color of the body for each car, that would look much better and proportional. But I can tell you to though, that the A-spec option Ron Jon grill also would do the trick too! Might not look perfect but better than what it is now!