2011 or 2012 TL wishlist

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acura911
a redo.
+1

There's a lot more wrong with the TL than just lack of features and power.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
+1

+2 Yup

IMO, the TL is a nice car, there's no doubt about it. But it is compromised in so many ways to so many people. Hence the relatively low sales in relation to the last gen and its spot in the category.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Improvements:

1) headrests (big surprise there...)
2) auto dimming exterior mirrors
3) power outlet that stays powered when car is off
4) memory seats that move into position after you get in the car
5) more low end torque
6) heated steering wheel for winter time
Old 05-20-2010, 02:04 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
A wish list...

1) 60/40 split rear folding rear seats
2) Enlarge the rear trunk space and make the floors flat
3) Have an option of both drivers and passengers side view mirrors tilting down when in reverse
4) Cooled front seats
5) Dual clutch 6spd transmission for the AT models
6) Tune the EPS to eliminate the center zone "dead spot" and increase steering feedback, a la BMW's

#1, 2, 3, 6 wouldn't cost Acura very much, and be well worth the price.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
+1

Yeah, it's real piece of crap. Slow, no features, uncomfortable, and over-priced.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

#1 Advanced package (see zdx), the ventilated seat option should be for both front seats, and be seat bottom AND back. The back is where most of the sweatiness comes from on hot days really.
#2 6 speed auto with manual shift gate, and when it gets shifted into “m” or “s” (whichever one the pick), actually shift faster, not just hold revs longer.
#3 Better steering feel - It's already not great on the SHAWD model, it's even worse on the base model.
#4 Flat rear floor/trunk – my 2006 civic sedan could sit 5 comfortably. Can’t say the same for either TL I had due to the drive train hump. The non-flat trunk right now makes the trunk significantly less useful.
#5 split/folding rear seats
#6 I agree with doc, an option to have both mirrors tilt down on reverse, not just 1
#7 brighter Interior illumination - I'm talking about the blue led's above, and the ultra dim white LED's in the front foot wells. They're so dim I need to wear white shoes to see if they're actually there.
#8 "entry" LED's on the bottom and inside of all 4 door handles on the exterior, inside the door handle in the interior
#9 Decreased road noise / bump feel (Auto SHAWD only)
#10 power adjustable memory steering wheel that moves out of the way when u take turn off the car
#11 Either reduce weight or up the power. Get 0-60 in less than 5.5 seconds “Estimated”
#12 LED license plate lights so I don’t need to go on ebay to buy them
#13 Auto leveling/swiveling bi-xenons The way they should work is, in the day. There are still halogen DRL’s that double as high beams (so you don’t wear out the hids) Then at night, or when the HIDs are on, the DRL bulb is completely off and the bi-xenon takes over.
#14 panoramic moonroof
#15 more interior cargo space, more pockets, compartments, dedicated coin tray
#16 wood trim as an option. I mean, why have a wood trimmed steering wheel and shifter as accessories if you aren’t also going to have a wood trimmed interior? And please, at least 2 shades (dark brown, dark grey wood) the more the better since these will be options/accessories
#17 the ability to automatically forward calls to HFL (when I make calls with my phone) instead of needing to do it on my phone
#18 make it easier to install the cargo hooks / trunk drawer. I mean why do we need to rent a rivet tool to install those dam things??
#19 make a rear sonar system (that beeps) standard on tech and advanced packages, have an off button.
#20 lumbar+memory option for passenger, thigh extension/support for driver
#21 power folding mirrors on tech and advanced packages

Obviously costs go up. But I’m willing to pay because I know it will be Honda engineered.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
#1 Advanced package (see zdx), the ventilated seat option should be for both front seats, and be seat bottom AND back. The back is where most of the sweatiness comes from on hot days really.
#2 6 speed auto with manual shift gate, and when it gets shifted into “m” or “s” (whichever one the pick), actually shift faster, not just hold revs longer.
#3 Better steering feel - It's already not great on the SHAWD model, it's even worse on the base model.
#4 Flat rear floor/trunk – my 2006 civic sedan could sit 5 comfortably. Can’t say the same for either TL I had due to the drive train hump. The non-flat trunk right now makes the trunk significantly less useful.
#6 I agree with doc, an option to have both mirrors tilt down on reverse, not just 1
#7 brighter Interior illumination - I'm talking about the blue led's above, and the ultra dim white LED's in the front foot wells. They're so dim I need to wear white shoes to see if they're actually there.
#8 "entry" LED's on the bottom and inside of all 4 door handles on the exterior, inside the door handle in the interior
#10 power adjustable memory steering wheel that moves out of the way when u take turn off the car
#11 Either reduce weight or up the power. Get 0-60 in less than 5.5 seconds “Estimated”
#13 Auto leveling/swiveling bi-xenons The way they should work is, in the day. There are still halogen DRL’s that double as high beams (so you don’t wear out the hids) Then at night, or when the HIDs are on, the DRL bulb is completely off and the bi-xenon takes over.
#14 panoramic moonroof
#16 wood trim as an option. I mean, why have a wood trimmed steering wheel and shifter as accessories if you aren’t also going to have a wood trimmed interior? And please, at least 2 shades (dark brown, dark grey wood) the more the better since these will be options/accessories
#17 the ability to automatically forward calls to HFL (when I make calls with my phone) instead of needing to do it on my phone
#18 make it easier to install the cargo hooks / trunk drawer. I mean why do we need to rent a rivet tool to install those dam things??
#19 make a rear sonar system (that beeps) standard on tech and advanced packages, have an off button.

Obviously costs go up. But I’m willing to pay because I know it will be Honda engineered.
all of this plus, better mpg, heated steering wheel, I'd like all white LED interior lights, rear heated seats, intelligent high beam control, rear camera not part of tech package, around view monitor part of tech package, auto dimming side mirrors, rear audio/climate controls, power rear sunshade (this one I'm only mentioning, I could care less if they do it or not), heated front passenger seat back cushion, not just butt cushion like now, boo! Probably forgetting some other things but that a pretty good list!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by btomcik
Improvements:

1) headrests (big surprise there...)
2) auto dimming exterior mirrors
3) power outlet that stays powered when car is off
4) memory seats that move into position after you get in the car
5) more low end torque
6) heated steering wheel for winter time
add
7) split rear seats
8) flat trunk
Old 05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Another thing is the automatic headlights.

So for the TL the way they work is, if u have it in auto mode, and it's dark outside, they turn on the moment you unlock the door. Now, this works GREAT if you have halogens, but it doesn't work so well when u have HIDs that aren't made for quick flashes. They also turn on/off quickly again when u press the start button. To me, it seems like this would reduce the life of the HIDs.

The way it should work is, if you have auto, the parking lights turn on when you unlock the car, then HID's don't turn on until you take the car out of park, and don't turn off until you lock the car and after the timing interval.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

The passenger seat is still only bottom cushion heated?

Geeeeeeez, the 4G just gets worse the more I find out....
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

The passenger seat is still only bottom cushion heated?

Geeeeeeez, the 4G just gets worse the more I find out....

I'm not a 100% sure but I think so. I know the 2010 TSX front passenger seat only heats the damn bottom butt cushion and not the back. I've mentioned this several times to Acura Client Services because our 3G TL's are like that and it just drives me crazy because I have really bad low back problems and that is where I need the heat the most and don't get it when sitting in the passenger seat. I have to drive the car to get that! I did get the BS excuse from ACS that they can't put a heating element there because of the air bag sensor and I told them that is a bunch of BS because everyone else has an passenger side airbag with the sensor just like Acura (my Infiniti and Nissan both have that) and they can heat the bottom and back of the front passenger seat so there is no reason why Acura can't!

Maybe somebody with a 2010 TL can answer that better for you. It is something I forgot to check when I sat in one at the NY Auto Show last month! Stupid memory!! I just hope Acura changes it and if they do add heated and cooled front seats to the TL eventually, make sure the back of both front seats gets HEATED AND COOLED and not just one!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Yeah now I remember. I don't sit in the passenger seat so I don't remember much.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
#14 panoramic moonroof

#2 - I was surprised they didn't have that when I test drove. If I was looking for an Auto that would have definitely annoyed me.

#17 - you can do this already, at least on my iPhone I can. I can be talking on my phone, get in my car, start the car, and then go to the phone menu and select the "transfer" option. Without touching my phone it transfer the call to the HFL (much better than the way you had to do it on the 3g).

#19 - Huh? I'm still wondering why BMW doesn't have a reverse camera yet. Why do you need sonar when you can see exactly how far away you are from the car behind you when parking?

The problem is no one is going to buy a 50k TL with all that stuff. If they added all of that, and pushed the price up to 50k or high 40's, I would just get a 335i or S4 instead.

I would expect to see a lot of that stuff on the RL with a larger engine (maybe that v8 they've been talking about), which could actually get a 50k price tag, but a 50k TL? maybe not for 10 years or so...
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

I need to try #17 again. btw, i have not thoroughly read the manual.

#19 i like the lines, they work very well. But a few people i've had in the car have no idea what they do because they're used to the quickening "beep" when their luxury cars back up. It's not a must have, but would be nice for some people. Thats why i also put "off button" incase some plainly don't need it.

But yeah you're right, not in this gen, not in the next.

The ZDX has some of the features i listed. Too bad they can't apply that formula to a coupe or sedan. The ZDX is too big and bulky.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Banned

oh no wait i meant automatically transfer. As in the moment i make the call, have it forwarded to the car automatically. So i don't need to go through a menu on my phone or the cars phone menu
Old 05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Drifting

oh no wait i meant automatically transfer. As in the moment i make the call, have it forwarded to the car automatically. So i don't need to go through a menu on my phone or the cars phone menu
Hmm, yea auto transfer might be tricky (cause with bluetooth something needs to initiate the handoff). But if you click the phone button on your steering wheels, and then push the bump/wheel think in for transfer that should do it...

Unless you don't have the tech package, then I have no idea how you do it.

I'd be interested to see if they bring the advance package to the MMC TL.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

yeah i have the tech pkg. I'll mess with it later tonight and see.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by petec2010
#2 - I was surprised they didn't have that when I test drove. If I was looking for an Auto that would have definitely annoyed me.

#17 - you can do this already, at least on my iPhone I can. I can be talking on my phone, get in my car, start the car, and then go to the phone menu and select the "transfer" option. Without touching my phone it transfer the call to the HFL (much better than the way you had to do it on the 3g).

#19 - Huh? I'm still wondering why BMW doesn't have a reverse camera yet. Why do you need sonar when you can see exactly how far away you are from the car behind you when parking?

The problem is no one is going to buy a 50k TL with all that stuff. If they added all of that, and pushed the price up to 50k or high 40's, I would just get a 335i or S4 instead.

I would expect to see a lot of that stuff on the RL with a larger engine (maybe that v8 they've been talking about), which could actually get a 50k price tag, but a 50k TL? maybe not for 10 years or so...

I agree. The TL is techinically Acura's mid-level car, not a flagship. You can expect all that stuff in the RL or ZDX but not in a TL. Acura may add a few more goodies here and there but it won't be anything major. With sales already slow as it is, I highly doubt Acura is going to do anything to push prices any higher than what it is now.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
base tl with 6MT
a red tl with 6MT
Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
V-8 or V-10 engine
Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I am a three-time Acura owner (one CL and two TLs) who just couldn't swing the payments of the new SH-AWD, even though I loved the test drive. Maybe when my current car comes off lease.

My wish list for the TL would be:

1) 60/40 rear seats (there are available on true luxury cars, most notably the MB E class), I think you can get them on the 5 series BMW as well

2) Why not a 7SP auto transmission? A taller 7th gear would result in better fuel economy too.

3) Better NVH. My 2007 TL was quieter. This is something Acura/Honda has dropped the ball on in their recent models.

4) The TL ride was not bone jarring like I had expected (RDX and RSX were awful), however, it was still very firm. I'd like to slight retuning to soften the bumps.

5) I'd like to see some of the ZDX styling cues brought to the TL. The front headlamps of the ZDX are awesome! The blackout center console and available wood trim on the ZDX are also extremely well done.

6) Ventilated seats would be nice.

7) More power and better mileage (good luck with that one)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

#19 what? BMW offers reverse cameras. I can't speak for all of them I guess, but I know for a fact the 5/7-Series offer them as well as the X5. If the X5 offers it then the X6 surely does.

Maybe the 3-Series and their roadsters/coupes don't but the BMWs that could use them offer them. I mean if a person really needs a reverse camera in a 3-Series or a Z4 then they need to stop driving.

As for the features thing, I disagree. The price needn't inflate to the high-40s. Acura is gyping customers at the present, I feel. You can get features in a 35K Buick or Ford sedan that are nowhere to be found on the TL, or the RL in some cases even.

You can get heated rear seats and a panoramic (spelling?) roof on a Sonata these days.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Drifting

#19 what? BMW offers reverse cameras. I can't speak for all of them I guess, but I know for a fact the 5/7-Series offer them as well as the X5. If the X5 offers it then the X6 surely does.

Maybe the 3-Series and their roadsters/coupes don't but the BMWs that could use them offer them. I mean if a person really needs a reverse camera in a 3-Series or a Z4 then they need to stop driving.
Yea, you don't get a reverse camera with a 3 series... 50k and you don't get one... Saying if you need one you should stop driving? You must not live in a large city where parallel parking is TIGHT, you can fit into crazy tight spots without banging up your bumpers.

You're saying that a Sonata is better than a TL because of the panoramic roof? But that would mean the TL is better than the 3-Series because we have a reverse camera.

As for the features thing, I disagree. The price needn't inflate to the high-40s. Acura is gyping customers at the present, I feel. You can get features in a 35K Buick or Ford sedan that are nowhere to be found on the TL, or the RL in some cases even.

You can get heated rear seats and a panoramic (spelling?) roof on a Sonata these days.
If you look at a pure feature set, then you might think they're screwing you with a higher cost of the TL. But what about the build quality? I've owned 4 GM cars before I moved to Acura. Each one was garbage, broke down all the time, rattles and creaks after 30-40k miles. Not ONE of them ever made it past 100k without needing major work done, blown head gasket, etc.

But if you think a Regal or Sonata is better than a TL, go get one. No one here is stopping you. But, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Yea, you don't get a reverse camera with a 3 series... 50k and you don't get one... Saying if you need one you should stop driving? You must not live in a large city where parallel parking is TIGHT, you can fit into crazy tight spots without banging up your bumpers.
I didn't say it point blank at all ... if you read what I said I said if you need one IN A 3-SERIES OR Z4 then you need to stop driving. Those are compact vehicles.

As for the assumption on my parking, I routinely parallel park my TL when I need to run to corporate, thank you very much.
You're saying that a Sonata is better than a TL because of the panoramic roof? But that would mean the TL is better than the 3-Series because we have a reverse camera.

If you can pinpoint where exactly I said some features make Car X better than Car Y then please point that out.

Second time you've put words in my mouth in that post. Not cool.

If you look at a pure feature set, then you might think they're screwing you with a higher cost of the TL. But what about the build quality? I've owned 4 GM cars before I moved to Acura. Each one was garbage, broke down all the time, rattles and creaks after 30-40k miles. Not ONE of them ever made it past 100k without needing major work done, blown head gasket, etc.
Yeah well I by that 30-40K mark you mentioned with the GM vehicles I was on transmission numero dos in my 2004 TL soooo....

Also, didn't someone just make a topic and mention in it that at 1200 miles their 4G TL had a rattle?

Position needs to be better than that, especially considering both Ford and Buick have been scoring well in reliability.
But if you think a Regal or Sonata is better than a TL, go get one. No one here is stopping you. But, like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Usually.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Wow, is anyone happy with their 4G TL? I never heard so much of a cars success resting on a freaking grille that is a part of the whole, funny that new Buick is like a Frankenstein of Acura, Charger, Lexus, and a few other designs yet they say it looks elegant, WTF? ...Sure cooled seats, blind spot indicator, and perhaps a telescopic steering wheel. But the cost will rise then folks will be bitching about that.
Im satisfied but i wouldn't say happy about my TL. Sure it's a really nice car and i freaking love it but my car rattle's so damn much sometimes i don't even want to drive it around with my window's down. I just wish i'd waited for the 6MT SH-AWD.

Everyone also complain's about the fact that they hate the grille so damn much but guess what they still buy the car anyway. Maybe because despite what people say it's still an Acura Tl and it has a reputation of being a reliable yet reasonably powerful car. Picture's also don't give the car justice. It look's amazing in person. The way i see it the worse the TL's sales are the more special my TL is to me and i can assume some people agree with me.

Just my
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
PhoenixUnit I'm happy with my '09 TL as well. The grille situation is crazy, as are the haters of the new design. I think many folks let peoples chatter disrupt their thoughts on their purchase. Now if it was from a person who owned the vehicle personally I might be more apt to listen, but someone who doesn't it's like dust on my shoulders...I brush it off. Folks want what they have to be better then what some one else has, that's Pre-K man.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Usually.
Well...without getting into a worthless internet battle about who's car is best... I just want to say that I didn't imply that you said point blank to "stop driving", we were taking about 3-Series BMWs, so that is what I was talking about.

As for picking out which posts you said whatever, I'm not going to go and look for whatever post. I made an assumption that you think that Buicks and Sonatas are superior because of the additional features they provide that the TL does not. I apologize if I was incorrect in my assessment.

I was simply stating that in my personal opinion, after owning many GM cars, their build quality sucks. My parents have owned GM cars their entire lives, and I constantly remember things breaking often with these cars, rattles, rusting body panels after 50k miles. It sounds like you've had a bad experience with the Acura brand, just like I did with GM. You should trade the TL for one of their cars, and then you'll see what I'm talking about. YMMV.

No car is perfect, definitely not this TL. But you get what you pay for, and with this car, it's the build quality.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Drifting

I've seen other posts about the rattling on the 09's. I think there are some on the 10's also, but I don't think as much. All I know is that my 10 6MT has been rock solid, moreso than my 07 TL-S.

But I also never buy the 1st year of a model refresh for that reason from any car maker, too many new model quirks to get figured out. But as we've seen with the 3G TL, give them a few years and they'll get it squared away.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
Im satisfied but i wouldn't say happy about my TL. Sure it's a really nice car and i freaking love it but my car rattle's so damn much sometimes i don't even want to drive it around with my window's down. I just wish i'd waited for the 6MT SH-AWD.

Everyone also complain's about the fact that they hate the grille so damn much but guess what they still buy the car anyway. Maybe because despite what people say it's still an Acura Tl and it has a reputation of being a reliable yet reasonably powerful car. Picture's also don't give the car justice. It look's amazing in person. The way i see it the worse the TL's sales are the more special my TL is to me and i can assume some people agree with me.

Just my
Its unbelievable Acura has not addressed these rattle issues in the TL! I have a 3G and I absolutely love the car, the looks, the size, the material quality, the way it drives and handles, but rattles are one of the two big reasons I am not going to be keeping it at the end of my lease! The rattles are just so bad and all over the place that its ridiculous. Just so that I could have piece of mind for the rest of the 1.5 years I still have on it, I had to go out to Home Depot and buy a whole bunch of furniture cushions in different sizes, cut them down and put them throughout the car! Some I had to spray paint black that went up by the dash so they blended in better. I have to say, I was able to eliminate about 70-80% of the rattles and noises with the various cushions but to have to put these eye sores in a $34k entry luxury vehicle is ridiculous! It wasn't like there was just one rattle either, I have multiple ones all over the car.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

As far as rattles go, my 1996 accord was nearly rattle free, except the rear deck rattle everyone had. It was fixed by inserting a few pieces of foam between some hard surfaces. So realistically, rattle free.

my 2006 civic sedan (first year model) had:
#1 window rattle when it was partially open, just the driver side, they could not fix
#2 both front door panels rattling/squeaking, they could not fix
#3 glovebox rattle, they could not fix
#4 b pillar rattle under the seat belt (bottom half of the b pillar), they could not fix
#5 driver seat rattle, fixed by the dealership inserting foam under some wires/hard surfaces
#6 driver side A pillar rattle, they could not fix

in 2 words, rattle trap. Fortunately for me, my bro doesn't mind and he now drives it.

My 2010 shawd had:
#1 passenger seat rattle in all temps/conditions over bumps, they could not fix
#2 sunglass holder rattle in closed position, they could not fix

My 2010 base TL tech has:
#1 dash rattle in cool/cold weather (happens only below 60)

So this is the 2nd most rattle free honda/acura i've owned. I don't want to take it in for the dash rattle because i have a feeling there would be more rattles if they took the dash apart to fix it. My friend actually complimented me on how smooth the ride was on the base model.

Now speaking of noises, why doesn't the TL have active noise cancellation?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I believe the audio system with the Technology Package have the active noise cancellation. Maybe? I could be wrong.

My 2004 actually had a lot of rattles from about 5000-50,000 miles but oddly they have all since disappeared?!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Its unbelievable Acura has not addressed these rattle issues in the TL! I have a 3G and I absolutely love the car, the looks, the size, the material quality, the way it drives and handles, but rattles are one of the two big reasons I am not going to be keeping it at the end of my lease! The rattles are just so bad and all over the place that its ridiculous. Just so that I could have piece of mind for the rest of the 1.5 years I still have on it, I had to go out to Home Depot and buy a whole bunch of furniture cushions in different sizes, cut them down and put them throughout the car! Some I had to spray paint black that went up by the dash so they blended in better. I have to say, I was able to eliminate about 70-80% of the rattles and noises with the various cushions but to have to put these eye sores in a $34k entry luxury vehicle is ridiculous! It wasn't like there was just one rattle either, I have multiple ones all over the car.
I don't know but I think it depends on the circumstances. Coming from two 3G TLs, the 4G is built way better, is rock solid in comparison and I have no rattles whatsoever. To me, that was one of the most noticeable improvements in the driving experience. It is still possible for some to have the opposite experience and I bet most 4G's will eventually have a rattle or two. It might be premature and maybe just my experiences but I think as a whole, Acura has fixed the quality issues that the 3G has, for the most part anyway.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't know but I think it depends on the circumstances. Coming from two 3G TLs, the 4G is built way better, is rock solid in comparison and I have no rattles whatsoever. To me, that was one of the most noticeable improvements in the driving experience. It is still possible for some to have the opposite experience and I bet most 4G's will eventually have a rattle or two. It might be premature and maybe just my experiences but I think as a whole, Acura has fixed the quality issues that the 3G has, for the most part anyway.
I personally don't think it has anything to do with a 3G vs 4G TL build quality thing because if that was the case there wouldn't be so many people with 4G TLs on these threads complaining about interior rattles. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't as many as there are considering the more plastic pieces that are in the 4G TL compared to the 3G. Don't feel bad though, other companies are cutting corners in that regard, I remember reading two or three car mag reviews over the last few years giving MB a slap on the wrist for some cheaper plastic pieces in the C and E class.

Plus, I think it is a car specific issue when it comes to rattles. I had a 2006 TL before my 2008 and it had absolutely no rattles or noises the entire time I had it yet my 2008 is the complete opposite. So you have to take these issues with a grain of salt.

If you have a 4G TL with no rattles then kiss the ground you don't have to put up with that headache. My Acura dealer has isolated where the noises are coming from but it would require ripping my entire TL apart and I'm not prepared to do that. They are not the factory and knowning them, they either won't put it back together right, or they'll just make the noises worse. As I said, the furinture cushions have been a cheap/less hassle way for me to get rid of the majoritoy of the rattles! It will just have to do! This way, I can enjoy driving the car a little more now !

Enjoy your ride man!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I personally don't think it has anything to do with a 3G vs 4G TL build quality thing because if that was the case there wouldn't be so many people with 4G TLs on these threads complaining about interior rattles.
Nevermind him. He doesn't understand what he's talking about as per the norm.
In fact, I'm surprised there isn't as many as there are considering the more plastic pieces that are in the 4G TL compared to the 3G.
This is true.
Don't feel bad though, other companies are cutting corners in that regard, I remember reading two or three car mag reviews over the last few years giving MB a slap on the wrist for some cheaper plastic pieces in the C and E class.
Definately, although the new C-Class and E-Class have reversed that trend thankfully. It took some rough years for them to get their you know what straight.
Plus, I think it is a car specific issue when it comes to rattles. I had a 2006 TL before my 2008 and it had absolutely no rattles or noises the entire time I had it yet my 2008 is the complete opposite. So you have to take these issues with a grain of salt.
True again, although there's no denying some vehicles seem more prone to it than others and our precious TLs are some of them.
And now, dinner.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
If you want rattles go buy anything currently called Lexus except the LS. People on clublexus are so fed up with the rattles and vibrations(AWD) that they are selling their GS's. My dad has a ES350 and it also has rattles but since he is in his senile age, he doesn't even care if they are there
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure but I think so. I know the 2010 TSX front passenger seat only heats the damn bottom butt cushion and not the back. I've mentioned this several times to Acura Client Services because our 3G TL's are like that and it just drives me crazy because I have really bad low back problems and that is where I need the heat the most and don't get it when sitting in the passenger seat. I have to drive the car to get that! I did get the BS excuse from ACS that they can't put a heating element there because of the air bag sensor and I told them that is a bunch of BS because everyone else has an passenger side airbag with the sensor just like Acura (my Infiniti and Nissan both have that) and they can heat the bottom and back of the front passenger seat so there is no reason why Acura can't!

Maybe somebody with a 2010 TL can answer that better for you. It is something I forgot to check when I sat in one at the NY Auto Show last month! Stupid memory!! I just hope Acura changes it and if they do add heated and cooled front seats to the TL eventually, make sure the back of both front seats gets HEATED AND COOLED and not just one!
The drivers seat back is heated, not sure if the passenger is, however I never use my heated seats do not like my *$$ feeling hot and to the poster who said the TL does not have reverse tilt mirror for the passenger side, that too is false. My old 3rd generation TL had passenger side tilt and I remember comparing it to cars like the G35 and ES 300 that did not have it. People complain about what the TL and other Acura's do not have but they forget to look at the standards features they do have that other manufactures do not.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
I need to try #17 again. btw, i have not thoroughly read the manual.

#19 i like the lines, they work very well. But a few people i've had in the car have no idea what they do because they're used to the quickening "beep" when their luxury cars back up. It's not a must have, but would be nice for some people. Thats why i also put "off button" incase some plainly don't need it.

But yeah you're right, not in this gen, not in the next.

The ZDX has some of the features i listed. Too bad they can't apply that formula to a coupe or sedan. The ZDX is too big and bulky.
Beeping is for grand-mama and grand-papa Lexus drivers, Acura offers rear sensors as an option for that demographic, sorry if I am insulting anyone but seriously why would you take sound over sight?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Nevermind him. He doesn't understand what he's talking about as per the norm.
Right, because you have had the experience of actually owning a pre MMC 3G, a post MMC 3G, as well as a 4G? Its well and fine to go off of what you know first hand but to supplement what you haven't experienced in full effect or what you don't know, simply from what others tell you, without a comparison and then drawing conclusions only from that is no better.

Not saying there is or can't be such a thing as a rattle on a 4G TL but having spent lots of time with each vehicle and also on this board, as both a 3G and 4G memeber, the common 3G rattle, paint and interior and exterior fitment quailty issues have been greatly reduced, some eliminated.

In fact, I'm surprised there isn't as many as there are considering the more plastic pieces that are in the 4G TL compared to the 3G
I'm not sure how you mean. The 4G might use a different design or types of plastic but I don't see much more cheaper plastic being used with exception to the door handles and lower door panels, which was done to serve a greater purpose. The vinyl wrapped lower door pockets from the 3G were some of the biggest rattle contributors to the entire car and the door handles always creaked and squished and just felt very flimsy. Now they may no longer be soft touch in the 4G but are more solid, durable and rattle free. Maybe not better material but that still falls under the better build quality category.

As far as the rest of the materials in the car, they are all an upgrade. Everything else like the leather, steering wheel, headliner, carpeting, dash and door sills, storage comparments and their doors or covers, and aliminum trims are improved.

I do agree that rattles are vehicle specific and experiences can vary but IMO the TL has generally gotten a lot better in that regard as well as all the other issue, this time around. I am only commenting because some (not singling anyone out) are surprised by Acura not potentially resolving quality and/or rattle issues but if rattle issues are to be taken with a grain of salt and should be considered case specific anyway then it is not fair to conclude that Acura did or didn't improve this area of the car.

I am just happy that my car is not suffering from some of the quality issues that I have personally found in the past and will leave it at that.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-25-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kingofire
If you want rattles go buy anything currently called Lexus except the LS. People on clublexus are so fed up with the rattles and vibrations(AWD) that they are selling their GS's. My dad has a ES350 and it also has rattles but since he is in his senile age, he doesn't even care if they are there
Well if Acura's and Lexus's all have rattle troubles, exactly what luxury automaker doesn't? I mean, everyone seems to have troubles so what exactly are we suppose to shop and get so we don't have troubles? BMW? Audi? Infiniti?, etc? who then, who?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

[quote=I'm not sure how you mean. The 4G might use a different design or types of plastic but I don't see much more cheaper plastic being used with exception to the door handles and lower door panels, which was done to serve a greater purpose. [quote/]

Don't mean to be rude, but that is the biggest crock I have ever heard, to serve a greater purpose? What greater purpose is that, being a cheap ass? I mean c-mon, these car manufacturers are raising the prices year after year but keeping using more cheap plastic pieces more and more. Acura, MB, and Lexus I have seen this with. On the other hand, Audi, BMW, and Infiniti don't seem to be and ke The vinyl wrapped lower door pockets from the 3G were some of the biggest rattle contributors to the entire car and the door handles always creaked and squished and just felt very flimsy. Now they may no longer be soft touch in the 4G but are more solid, durable and rattle free. Maybe not better material but that still falls under the better build quality category.

[quote=As far as the rest of the materials in the car, they are all an upgrade. Everything else like the leather, steering wheel, headliner, carpeting, dash and door sills, storage comparments and their doors or covers, and aliminum trims are improved.[quote/]

There are a couple materials that are an upgrade but the majority don't look or feel that way. I felt the aluminum trims in the base and base with tech pack at the auto show last month and they did not have the cold metal feel to them that the ones in the 3G did.

[quote=I do agree that rattles are vehicle specific and experiences can vary but IMO the TL has generally gotten a lot better in that regard as well as all the other issue, this time around. I am only commenting because some (not singling anyone out) are surprised by Acura not potentially resolving quality and/or rattle issues but if rattle issues are to be taken with a grain of salt and should be considered case specific anyway then it is not fair to conclude that Acura did or didn't improve this area of the car.[/quote]

I would agree with that to a point but that doesn't hold true if you read people after people complaining of rattles in their 4G TLs. But I do agree, and as I mentioned earlier, Acura is not alone in doing this, more and more manufacturers are using plastic every where in these cars, both on the inside and outside, and they creat gaps between the panels. What happens is, even in a car with extremely good fit/finish and build quality like Acura, Lexus, and MB for instance, no matter how good it is, they leave gaps behind these panels and the pillar in the cars which allow these cheap plastic piece and other material to flex and move creating noises when going over bumps!

This is exactly what 3 different Acura techs told and admitted to me when I brought my car in and I even asked them about the 4G TL and they said while it has gotten better, they still are having a lot of 4G TL owners bringing their cars in complaining about rattle/noise issues, but its not just Acura but other luxury automakers as well.

Last edited by smarty666; 05-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 or 2012 TL wishlist