Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey gator, you did not mention how much did they offer you, just curious
Old 07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by algoriddim
Not to detract from the thread or pour salt in anyones wound... But I'm curious to know if anyone has ever had the "beak" of their vehicle criticized outside of car reviews and internet forums. My real world encounters (family, friends, neighbors, and randoms) regarding this vehicle have always been positive.

Am I an exception?

You are not alone, I am here with you, chum'on, ehhh heee...LOL!
Seriously though, Most of the time I get compliments save for one guy who owns a Camaro who doesn't even like the front end of that car. Outside of that they love the shape, styling and interior. I have family in the marketing business and they are always saying how at times one source of criticize can start a feeding frenzy. And I believe that's a big part of what happened.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I think society in general behaves as one massive group think, led by certain recognized elites. In the case of the auto-market, it's the rags like C&D that get the opinion ball rolling. So, how many individual C&D opinions were portrayed in the negative articles vs. positive articles? Were the authors the same? I bet not.

Then there's another question on my mind: How much opinion coming from the rags are innocent, individual subjectivity; and how much is driven by internal politics (eg the editor in chief hates it, so the author better hate it too), financial politics (Audi, Infiniti and BMW buy more add space), or simple peer pressure (3 out of 5 auto journalists start off hating it in a lunch time discussion that leads to a game of one-upmanship on grill analogies to use in the next article)?

Personally, I think C&D is one big clique of same-minded car enthusiasts - even BMW is cashing in with their marketing by stating the fact more C&D journalists drive BMWs than any other brand. Is that really because BMW is a better car, or just because C&D journalists all have the same subjective biases? When I left the BMW for the TL, the light steering seemed "wrong" at first. Now I'm acclimated to the Acura, and I believe I can place the car into a corner as accurately as any BMW. The new 535 steering feels artificially heavy and has less feel than my TL in my opinion (and that's just me, but imagine if all those C&D journalists drove TLs for a year before they drove their next BMW - would it still feel "perfect" to them?).

Personally, I find the whole "big grill" trend a lot more off-putting than "the beak". That Lexus GS concept is hideous with it's giant black hourglass grill. I still don't like any of the new big black Audi grills, either. They remind me of the Captain Kangaroo dancing bear mouth (Google it - you'll know what I mean). Somehow, the "journalists" talking about those cars don't really slant one way or the other on those - they just state what it is...

And BTW, in 3 years of leasing a 2007 335i Sport Package, I received 1 unsolicited comment on the looks and a number of requests for handouts from pan handlers at gas stations (hard luck cases who allegedly needed money for gas - the typical scam is "I got a sick relative in the car, trying to get to the hospital, out of gas"). In 1 year of owning my 2010 TL 6MT, I've received 2 unsolicited positive comments on its looks, and 1 pan handler approach at a gas station. Not sure what that means (even the scum of society know Acura represents lower disposable income than BMW?).
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do used Acuras bring in high trade in?

Put 2010 on the lot after upgrading to a 2012 6 days ago. I talked with the salesman today, it's already sold.

good cars!!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just browsing through the TL thread and wanted to give my 2 cents...

When the 2012 TL came out, I actually when 'Meh?!?!'
Acura went from BOLD to BLAND?

IMHO, the 09-11 TL looks different (NOT ugly)
A bold direction that Acura dares to take.
It may not accepted widely by the people, but hey, I admire their boldness.

So, honestly (even though I understand from Acura's economic point of view),
I'm a bit disappointed that Acura finally 'cave-in' to the market demand and 'loosen' the TL's front facia and make it 'normal'... (IMO: bland)

The TL's front is actually what makes the car looks different in the first place.
Now... the 2012 TL does not look 'special' anymore.

Just sad that it has been turned into a 'regular' car.
Just sad...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ZZZZZDX_White

I'm a bit disappointed that Acura finally 'cave-in' to the market demand and 'loosen' the TL's front facia and make it 'normal'... (IMO: bland)

The TL's front is actually what makes the car looks different in the first place.

Just sad...

Just my 2 cents...
Ya I'm crying
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
Ya I'm crying
Me too.. I need to just take this ugly POS back to the dealer and see if I can get me more beak with amn '11! I just realized my beak has been clipped and these vented seats are just getting on my nerves.. and those irritating BSL's.. I miss the ole "change lanes on guts" days! OMG
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The redo is what has put the car back on my shopping list next year. I'm a believer that this was a good move on Acura's part to tone the car down.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sad...

Just my 2 cents...
I agree... Acura holds its name because of this.. Getting out of the norm and giving us the "Advanced" futuristic feel.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by algoriddim
Not to detract from the thread or pour salt in anyones wound... But I'm curious to know if anyone has ever had the "beak" of their vehicle criticized outside of car reviews and internet forums. My real world encounters (family, friends, neighbors, and randoms) regarding this vehicle have always been positive.

Am I an exception?
Nothing but compliments on my end as well. The carwash I go to has a very large window where patrons can watch the cars as they're being hand washed. Sometimes I just peek around to see who's watching what. It always brings a slight smirk to my face to see people staring (whether it's good or bad). They certainly aren't afraid to ask "Who's car is that??" One lady even called it beautiful...brought a tear to my eye...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Me too.. I need to just take this ugly POS back to the dealer and see if I can get me more beak with amn '11! I just realized my beak has been clipped and these vented seats are just getting on my nerves.. and those irritating BSL's.. I miss the ole "change lanes on guts" days! OMG
Stew, anybody who owns an Acura has a great car...no matter whether its a 2009-2011. Or a 2012. Anybody who buys an Acura is a smart person who values great value and honors their money and thier good fortune by spending it smartly.

One of the welthiest men I've ever known always surrounded himself with fine things but within reason. When I asked why he didn't buy the name brands which to my young mind meant the best of the best. His reponse was always, "For my needs, buying that would be a waste of money." So he took the money he didn't waste invested it elsewhere and has gotten even richer.

I'll never forget the lessons he taught me.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ncelk
The redo is what has put the car back on my shopping list next year. I'm a believer that this was a good move on Acura's part to tone the car down.
To me the 2009-2012 is like Mae West. Ever hear of her? Full bodied, brassy, busty, outrageous, and iconic.

What I'm getting at is that to me the 2009-2011 was birthed fully conceived. Everything is big. Even the "A" for Acura. It's all outsized...but it works together. Looked at individually many aspects of the car are controversial. Focus on the beak and it becomes overwhelming. But taken as a whole and it all fits together well imo.

The 2012, again in my opinion, is like Mae West with breast reduction. Still Mae West, still attractive, but the harmony of the gestalt has been disturbed.

The "A" symbol is too big for the tapered butt, etc. Again my opinion.

I could easily trade my 2010 with 5200 miles (paid in full) on it for a 2012 and not have too much out of pocket expense.

But why I ask myself.

I like my quad tips, the chrome on the handles, the extra length, and the big butt that looks like the haunches of a poised to pounce animal. I like the high back end and the lower front end. I like the wheels that came with the SH-AWD and I like that at a glance people know my TL is different for the FWD. I like that the air works great.

Again, not slamming anybody. Just explaining what I like.

The ventilated seats would be nice. But the blind spot warning is something I haven't needed for 43 driving years and since I can still flick my eyes and turn my head I like t be fully present for the driving.

The 6 speed would be nice too but I've learned never to buy the 1st iteration of anything. I've always had bad luck with 1st iterations.

But in the end...kudos to people who buy Acuras. My kind of people.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Just sad...

Just my 2 cents...
Yeah, that was certainly 2 cents worth. We all know what two cents will buy these days...NOTHING! Seriously, what is it with people on this site? Are they so bored in their lives that they come here to just annoy and complain; and only 2 cents worth of it, for that matter???
Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I wish I could trade in my 2010...I still owe a lot of money on it
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mmmmhhh, who's complaining?
and...
Why are you annoyed?
Because you just bought the 2012? Having 2nd thoughts because of other people's opinions?

1st, this is an ACURA site... I wrote (or shared) an opinion about ACURA automobiles... Nothing's wrong there.
2nd, I bought a ZDX. I don't care what people say, I love the way it looks, the way it drives and most of all... that it's very rare on the road.

Get a grip, sm.