2009 TL makes a top 10 ugliest cars list

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Fight On!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes...I agree with others here: EPIC FAILURE.

I was always thinking of stepping up to Lexus, BMW, or Audi anywayz for my next car.

Now I'm not sure if I should keep my '06 and run it into the ground or...

...maybe its value will hold even better as more people look to pick up used 3Gs instead of new 4Gs after bein' put off by the new style.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,991 Likes on 3,849 Posts
Originally Posted by ecliptics
and who made that top10? dot dot dot

no one even has a good look at the TL yet.. that pic gives us an idea but thats about it. wait til the car comes out and people can mod it. then say if its ugly or not
Modding a car because you want it to be different than the rest of the pack is a lot different than modding it to make it look acceptable to begin with.

Modding a bad looking car will be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse
...maybe its value will hold even better as more people look to pick up used 3Gs instead of new 4Gs after bein' put off by the new style.
That's exactly what happenned with the 1990 Accord. A huge step down from the '89 in looks. Maybe that's why in the '90 Accord TV commercails narrated by actor Daniel Travanti (the station Captain in Hill Street Blues), his biggest line was:

"The New Accord From Honda, You Have To Drive It To Believe It".

Truer words were never spoken because you sure as hell couldn't believe it by looking at it. I vividly remember going to the dealer for service on my '89 Accord SE-i Coupe when the '90's 1st came in and my salesman telling me people left and right were taking 1 look at the then new Accord and asking for an '89 leftover instead. At age 15, the Kelly Blue Book on that (Rare) '89 Accord SE-i Coupe was still 20% of the original window sticker! Maybe that was partially because it was a limited production model based on the original Accord Export Edition that Honda built in Ohio and shipped to Japan, and the ONLY Accord to have audio controls on the steering wheel and a manual transmission in the same car prior to the 2001 model year, but who knows.

Regardless, the cars sold anyway just because they had the Honda name on them as will the '09 TL.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by pttl
Modding a car because you want it to be different than the rest of the pack is a lot different than modding it to make it look acceptable to begin with.

A HUGE +1
Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With fuel prices going up and up I wonder if Chevron might not be buying out Honda. I can't think of any other reason a (normally) intelligent company would place that freakin huge monolithic chevron on the nose of an (otherwise) nice looking car...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by flydog
It is one ugly POS. After I bought my 2G TL I thought I would be a TL owner for life. But my 3G will be my last Acura ever because the 4G is a freaking disaster. Hello BMW.
After being on 4 BMW websites for the last year, I might not get one after reading about SO MANY ISSUES AND PROBLEMS. I was seriously considering a 335i coupe with a few options, or a 135i coupe mostly loaded. BMW'S ARE VERY UNRELIABLE. Really pisses me off. Next spring I will be able to buy a $50k car, but don't know what I want now.

I want a RWD or AWD car that does at least low 5's to 60 and handles great, that can also be a daily driver.

IS 350 NOT
G37S NOT
335i NOT
135i NOT
Audi A5 NOT

NEW 09 ACURA NOT.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by pttl

AGREED!.....and make lose it VALUE!....who would want a car that's all gussied up and unattractive!..and then the individual wonder's way he's having problem selling it and the dealer want's to give'em a nickle for it as a TRADE -IN !
Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
After being on 4 BMW websites for the last year, I might not get one after reading about SO MANY ISSUES AND PROBLEMS. I was seriously considering a 335i coupe with a few options, or a 135i coupe mostly loaded. BMW'S ARE VERY UNRELIABLE. Really pisses me off. Next spring I will be able to buy a $50k car, but don't know what I want now.

I want a RWD or AWD car that does at least low 5's to 60 and handles great, that can also be a daily driver.

IS 350 NOT
G37S NOT
335i NOT
135i NOT
Audi A5 NOT

NEW 09 ACURA NOT.
AGEED !!....My wife just got 06' E90, talk about a noisy car from the brakes , down to popping and clicking sounds of solenoids when the car is turned off!..parts take forever to come in, needing special tool's for just about anything! get a flat ! l..ook out ! a replacement run-flat try $270, but like they say if you can afford BMW , you can afford the cost of ownership !!! I'll keep my 07' 3G till the wheel's fall off!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Same rhetoric that came out when BMW destroyed the 7 and 5 series designs. I remember people swearing off both cars and BMW.

Well, they turned out to be the best volume selling cars for both the 7 and 5 series.

How many people on this forum viewed the current 5 series and 7 series as complete eye sores? I did....and they still sell like 5000 5 series cars a month.

Lets wait till November and then judge.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Instructor

i dont think the car looks that bad. i kinda like it. it looks like the Lexus GS a bit lol. When the new G35 came out i thought it was ugly as hell but i adjusted to it and now i like it better than the old one. We all will be Okay lol
Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 08TYPE_S
Agree. It is an ugly looking beast. I think Acura should fire their entire design department.
i call for a public beheading

after having an '03 tl-s, i couldnt wait to get into the 3g.
When I flipped it I didnt need to shop around.
I bought an '06 without even test driving it.
no regrets, just a grin.
Acura lost me on this 1
the 335 coupe took my spot in the driveway this time
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
i call for a public beheading
Wouldn't that make it too fast and too easy *just kidding*
Old 07-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

LoL. Agreed
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
im back

That design is terrible i hope that ugliness only increases the value of my 07 type s
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, the 09 tl is ugly, no matter what u guys say. Ive seen it without cammo, it looks as big as the honda suv, and its uglyier then the pruis. This is all im going to say.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

So what's the bad news then?

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Guys, the 09 tl is ugly, no matter what u guys say. Ive seen it without cammo, it looks as big as the honda suv, and its uglyier then the pruis. This is all im going to say.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I respectfully disagree

Originally Posted by static808
Same rhetoric that came out when BMW destroyed the 7 and 5 series designs. I remember people swearing off both cars and BMW.

Well, they turned out to be the best volume selling cars for both the 7 and 5 series.

How many people on this forum viewed the current 5 series and 7 series as complete eye sores? I did....and they still sell like 5000 5 series cars a month.

Lets wait till November and then judge.

I never thought that the Bangles design for the 5 or 7 series was that bad. I also think that there is one big difference - BMW's are BMW's, i.e. it has already this established snob value and brand identity, whereas Acura is still struggling with its identity and luxury image. So, Acura cannot afford to mess up like this whereas BMW's will still sell like crazy no matter how ugly it is... just because it's a BMW and people will want to be seen in one, just to show how much $$$ they have!

In any case, I think that the 7 series sales did suffer because of its design, and that's why BMW did such a rapid re-design for it.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
T-Swzy

you know, when you google acura forum, azine shows up as the 2nd hit. being such, i would expect acura to send a tech to the forums and browse around. even if anonymously to get reception and tips and yes, to rip off photochops cause they look so damn better.

but then again, azine doesnt even have enough members to make up 1 quarter of acura sales. they're in the business to make business. they make cars for the masses and the masses bought azteks. a couple guys tooling a turbocharger into their acura doesnt draw their attention. they're gonna build this car, they're gonna market it, and it's gonna sell.

it's gonna make us mad that this sumbitch from design department is going to get praises for this abomination. it's going to embarass us when people ask us what we drive, and we say acura tl, and we have to specify the year to spare ourselves from the derisive snickers. but the bottom line is, it doesnt matter what we do, what we say, acuras moving forward
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats why I went brand new 2nd generation in 2003 over the 2004. I purposely waited in the summer of 2003 to see what the 2004 looked like.
I got to say that the 2004 was a disappointment for me. It just lost some of it's sleek style. It did start to look a little better to me later, but I just love my 2003.
When I first saw the 2004 I thought, "It looks like a Pontiac."

You guys have done some really good custom work on them though...I think thats what made them grow on me.

The verdict is not in yet for the 2009. Cars look different in person vs in a cartoon futuristic drawing. I just hope that Acura reads these posts and starts going back to being more sleek, luxurious, and sexy. Acura should poll US first before they come out with a questionable design.

Lets face it, this car ain't cheap! All of the TL's have great value. However, these are the types of design changes that make people move up to BMW and Mercedes. I'm only telling the truth. Mercedes and BMW are getting more and more affordable these days offering more and more standard features than they used to. Just a thought.

Please don't stone me to death for having these thoughts!

-Zendre
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

...Oh from what I can see in the pictures of the 2009, "I-ON-Like-It!" so far.

Let us Pray

Zendre
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Pro

sadly, the main issue is the grille ... the new acura 'grille' is the reason my next car will be from lexus or infiniti ... as I will not take delivery of my 7th acura (over 10 years) since with the release of the new TL, there will be NOTHING in their lineup that appeals to me since I'd have to back any of their new products into the garage so that the first thing I see in the morning is that god awful grille
Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Kang Ho

wow...#9 out of 10.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I am with you there!

Originally Posted by DivinDude
sadly, the main issue is the grille ... the new acura 'grille' is the reason my next car will be from lexus or infiniti ... as I will not take delivery of my 7th acura (over 10 years) since with the release of the new TL, there will be NOTHING in their lineup that appeals to me since I'd have to back any of their new products into the garage so that the first thing I see in the morning is that god awful grille
I will be in the market for a new car soon - as much as I love my 2004 TSX, the new Acura line-up does NOT appeal to me at all. This UGLY grille is simply vulgar and repulsive and yes, I refuse to have to look at that ugly thing in my garage first thing in the morning!

Unfortunately, Infiniti, BMW or Audi will be replacing my Acura.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ostrich
I will be in the market for a new car soon - as much as I love my 2004 TSX, the new Acura line-up does NOT appeal to me at all. This UGLY grille is simply vulgar and repulsive and yes, I refuse to have to look at that ugly thing in my garage first thing in the morning!

Unfortunately, Infiniti, BMW or Audi will be replacing my Acura.
Although I do respect your opinion and your decision, I am not sure what would be worse, an ugly front grill or an ugly and bland interior that I get to see every minute I drive the car? Now I understand that taste is a very subjective taste and PLEASE, don't think that I am trying to discredit what you are saying. I have an 09 TSX (as you can see from my avitar) and although I am not the biggest fan of the grill, I still think the overall car is better than my 2006 TSX and have learned to love my car in its entire-ty....sorta of like a father who loves his child despite his large ears or buck teeth Like I said, I was car shopping extensively when replacing my 2006 TSX and I did look at the BMW and the Audi and both cars did not impress me at all with their interior styling. I know some car enthusiast say thatAudi's interior is the benchmark but for me its way too conservative, a tiny armrest that just floats in between seats?! Whats up with that! I will admit that the 2009 A4 will be an improvement as far as interior styling is concerned but still a far cry from what Acura provides (or other Japanese vehicles for that matter).

I am still holding hopes until I see the car in person as the TSX sure grew on me very fast and you would surprised how many people commented (positively) on how my car looks...and I don't think they were BS me either....
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

I would stay away from Audi though! Thats a fix it car. I come from a family of mechanics and this is a known fact amoung car people. Dont go Audi unless you want to shell out some cash to fix it all the time. This is where the Acura TL beats Audi.
And I thought we were talking about the 2009 TL, not the TSX.

I just wouldnt go Lexus either...It just looks too much like a Camry, and the Camry drives better than the Lexus! I dont understand it!

I test drove the Mercedes, and loved the way it handles, but couldn't get over the idea that it seems like a car that an old person drives. I loved the comfortable drive though.

I think my next car will be BMW 7 Series. If you got to move up....Move Up!
I like the car all around. I test drove the 760 which is the top of the line 7 series. Its a damn luxury race car!...I want it. Black on Black just like my 2003 TL.

The RL is just not an option either. Its supposed to be Acura's top of the line, but it looks like an Accord now...a small Accord at that. Back in the day when it was the Legend...It was hot. If Acura was acting right with their design, I would have bought 2 more cars from them.

WAKE UP ACURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SNAP OUT OF THIS FUNK.

-Zendre
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll still reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I'm starting to believe that that might not even help. Why Acura, why?!?!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Instructor

From the latest pics the new TL seems to look OKAY...while the 04-08 TL's look AWESOME. Even with the addition of SHAWD & tech. package...this is one :-( Acura owner.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
B A N N E D

Looks good to me.............
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
08 TL Type S

i'm so glad that i just bought my 08
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by zenally

Lets face it, this car ain't cheap! All of the TL's have great value. However, these are the types of design changes that make people move up to BMW and Mercedes. I'm only telling the truth. Mercedes and BMW are getting more and more affordable these days offering more and more standard features than they used to. Just a thought.

-Zendre
You're right on the money there... and you have a great artistic eye might I add !

Don't forget that you have to look at the thing every day as well as endure the monthly payments.

Was sincerely expecting alot more from Honda... They've also disfigured their Pilot model with a bad front.... What the heck is going on ?. Is this esthetic sabotage a sneaky way to abandon non profitable models ?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zenally
Thats why I went brand new 2nd generation in 2003 over the 2004. I purposely waited in the summer of 2003 to see what the 2004 looked like.
I got to say that the 2004 was a disappointment for me. It just lost some of it's sleek style. It did start to look a little better to me later, but I just love my 2003.
When I first saw the 2004 I thought, "It looks like a Pontiac."

You guys have done some really good custom work on them though...I think thats what made them grow on me.

The verdict is not in yet for the 2009. Cars look different in person vs in a cartoon futuristic drawing. I just hope that Acura reads these posts and starts going back to being more sleek, luxurious, and sexy. Acura should poll US first before they come out with a questionable design.

-Zendre
With the weak dollar and strong euro, prices are going up. .Also BMW is ending factory lease incentives, so leasing will be more expensive.

The Acura might still look like a bargain in that light..
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Drifting

I'm sure glad I've got a 3G TL! I wasn't all that happy with the grill/nose on the 3G...and I still don't like it but the overall look of the car and interior makes up for the ugly nose.

The 4G is just downright ugly. After having a Legend, 2 2G TL's, and a 3G....this will be my last Acura for a long long time....if I ever go back. I like the new BMW 3 series styling...classy and not obnoxious like the new Acura's
Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Advanced

This THING is a gross ,fat looking pig!