2009 TL AWD: worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TL AWD: worth buying?

Hey! So I recently found a 2009 with 50k miles and is in seriously mint condition. All work done at Acura. I was all ready to buy but decided to check the internet first. Now I’m scared! He said he hasn’t had a single problem and the car felt rock solid (seriously what a driving experience). Does anyone have a 09 AWD that has been solid with high miles? Am I just asking for it buying one of these?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:57 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I have a 3G (2006 6MT TL) and have owned it for 11 years.

if I were in the market for another TL, I would absolutely buy a 4G (2009+) TL.
6MT with SHAWD is the tits!
I absolutely would not hesitate to upgrade to AWD!!! especially now that the 4G's are becoming affordable. In the past, I wouldnt have bought a 4G because it was too expensive...
But NOW, with awesome pricing, I Wouldnt mind getting one!!
however, I already have a TL. and it would be dumb to get another TL.

Last edited by justnspace; 12-29-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Just seem to be the oil burn issue, which worries me. But this car was serviced very meticulously.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
If it is in good condition as it sounds like it is, it is a great car. I would see if the issue was addressed by the dealer if you can find out,.
The following users liked this post:
TL ROOKIE (03-10-2021)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:12 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
For the right price I would say you shouldn't be too worried buying it. Go through the maintenance history such as when the last change for coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, rear diff, transfer case, look at the age of the tires. Adjust your offer accordingly.

As for what you asked in the other thread about oil consumption... You are outside of the extended warranty so they will not be doing anything for free.

Also don't forget to test drive it on the highway to check for whistling prop shaft.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

Some good info, thanks. Were all Acura owners notified about the oil issue or did you have to seek it out? Meeting with him again next week, he seemed like an honest guy and I feel like if it had the oil problem he would have told me.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:37 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltyj
Some good info, thanks. Were all Acura owners notified about the oil issue or did you have to seek it out? Meeting with him again next week, he seemed like an honest guy and I feel like if it had the oil problem he would have told me.
here's the thing man, (and you're old enough to remember)
cars will eat oil.
Nissans are particularly bad with this.

a responsible car owner will do anything in their power to be on top of things, even if that means topping off the oil once in a while...or changing the oil early to always have it at the full mark.
if this is something you cant do or wont do, then perhaps a used car isnt for you.
perhaps something brand new with a warranty in which you can take it to get it taken care of.

all cars will eventually need a little extra help from their human care takers. because; cars are machines. machines have moving parts. moving parts fail.
(this isnt a knock on you and how responsible you are, this is just the fact of life....as human care takers of our possessions, we always need to maintain our stuff.)

as stated; I would not hesitate to buy a 6MT SHAWD 4G TL! but then again, I love wrenching. I love getting underneath the car and finding problems to solve.

Last edited by justnspace; 12-30-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
here's the thing man, (and you're old enough to remember)
cars will eat oil.
Nissans are particularly bad with this.

a responsible car owner will do anything in their power to be on top of things, even if that means topping off the oil once in a while...or changing the oil early to always have it at the full mark.
if this is something you cant do or wont do, then perhaps a used car isnt for you.
perhaps something brand new with a warranty in which you can take it to get it taken care of.

all cars will eventually need a little extra help from their human care takers. because; cars are machines. machines have moving parts. moving parts fail.
(this isnt a knock on you and how responsible you are, this is just the fact of life....as human care takers of our possessions, we always need to maintain our stuff.)

as stated; I would not hesitate to buy a 6MT SHAWD 4G TL! but then again, I love wrenching. I love getting underneath the car and finding problems to solve.
Totally feel all that. Just making sure, oil aside, that people have found this car to be worth it.

This one is an automatic. I’d love a 6 speed but I’ve never come across one.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:50 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Totally worth it for me!

And yes Acura tried to notify all 3.7 owners about the extended warranty. I received the notice in the mail along with many other owners.
The following users liked this post:
Saltyj (01-01-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:17 AM
4th Gear

I currently own an 09 SH-AWD TECH TL. I love this car and I've had all service completed as recommended and I'm now at 260,000 KM. Far more fun to drive than the new TLX so no plan to trade it in any time.

With that said the maintenance has been fairly costly. Here are the couple of major repairs I've had completed.
-SH-AWD control module. Purchased the module used and had the dealer install. $800
-Engine Oil Consumption Issue. Applied to Acura Canada and they rebuilt the engine replacing all rings and seals well past the warranty. I know the service manager and it was a $6000 job that I paid $0 for.

Other normal issues I've had include replacing AC, and passenger air bag sensor but those could happen with any vehicle.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:45 AM
3rd Gear

So did you buy the car? How has it been? I am buying the same vehicle - 09 TL SH-AWD today, with 90k miles. My beloved 2006 TL got nailed by a red light runner last weekend and totaled....was super bummed, but was fortunate to stumble on this 09 that has been meticulously maintained. The owner said that Acura performed the rebuilt for the oil consumption issue. Not sure if that extends the engine life, but, seems like it can't hurt.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by teamguy204
So did you buy the car? How has it been? I am buying the same vehicle - 09 TL SH-AWD today, with 90k miles. My beloved 2006 TL got nailed by a red light runner last weekend and totaled....was super bummed, but was fortunate to stumble on this 09 that has been meticulously maintained. The owner said that Acura performed the rebuilt for the oil consumption issue. Not sure if that extends the engine life, but, seems like it can't hurt.
Been really nice to drive. I’d say the only complaint is the gas mileage but I knew that going in. If he had the engine rebuilt I think you’re money. Definitely take it on the freeway to make sure it’s driving strong (and to listen for the whistling propeller shaft/torque converter smoothness). Also, I did a leatherique job to the interior and it’s realllyyy worth it. Follow the most popular video on YouTube and it’ll make the interior look brand spanking new. Also, lots of people on here recommended the weather tech floor mats and it’s a worthy upgrade. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Saltyj
Been really nice to drive. I’d say the only complaint is the gas mileage but I knew that going in. If he had the engine rebuilt I think you’re money. Definitely take it on the freeway to make sure it’s driving strong (and to listen for the whistling propeller shaft/torque converter smoothness). Also, I did a leatherique job to the interior and it’s realllyyy worth it. Follow the most popular video on YouTube and it’ll make the interior look brand spanking new. Also, lots of people on here recommended the weather tech floor mats and it’s a worthy upgrade. Enjoy!
Thanks for the interior tips. Bought the car. It is in phenomenal condition....the guy took extremely good care of it. Looking forward to getting to know this new one!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:03 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Congratulations, I hope it serves you well for many years.