15 Gb or 60 Gb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
15 Gb or 60 Gb?

I bought a 2012 TL SH-AWD w/ Technology package last night, but haven't had much chance to figure out the music storage options on the car. Checking the Acura website this morning, I'm a bit confused. Does the car come with 15 Gb of hard disk space or 60 Gb of hard disk space?

This is what it says on their website:

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE (Available for TL and TL SH-AWD®)
60 GB hard disk drive (HDD) Acura Navigation System with trilingual Voice RecognitionTM, rearview camera‡ with onscreen display guidelines, wallpaper function and illuminated steering wheel-mounted controls
Acura/ELS Surround® 440-watt Premium Audio System with 1-disc CD, DVD-Audio and DTS® changer, AM/FM/XM®✝ tuner (RDS-enabled), MP3/Windows Media® Audio compatibility, Dolby® Pro LogicTM II and 10 speakers
15 GB hard disk drive (HDD) storage (navigation and audio)
Curb weight: 1701 kg (TL)
Curb weight: 1761 kg (SH-AWD MT)
Curb weight: 1811 kg (SH-AWD AT)
Fuel economy (City/Hwy): 11.9/8.0 litres/100 km* (SH-AWD MT)
GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode automatic climate control system
Keyless Access System (smart entry and pushbutton ignition) with driver recognition for driver’s seat, side mirrors, climate control and select audio and Navi settings
Perforated Premium Milano leather-trimmed interior
Rear decklid spoiler (with integrated rearview camera‡)

Sorry if this has been asked before. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
devnull (05-07-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
60GB hard drive TOTAL, but only 15GB dedicated for music storage
The following 2 users liked this post by 012TL-GLM:
devnull (05-07-2012), SebringSilver (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
60GB hard drive TOTAL, but only 15GB dedicated for music storage
Okay, that make sense.

Much obliged.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, another question. Are the tail lights in the TL LED lights? I haven't really looked at mine yet. I remember they were LEDs in my 2005 (or at least I think they were).
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Sorry, another question. Are the tail lights in the TL LED lights? I haven't really looked at mine yet. I remember they were LEDs in my 2005 (or at least I think they were).
They are LED's.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 09 tech and haven't found much use for the music HDD. I just use the iPod connection.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Treblig
They are LED's.
Great, thanks. Seems a bit ridiculous but I haven't really looked at the car closely yet. But it seems to look rather nice from a moderate distance. I did drive it briefly for the 4 kilometer trip home from the dealership and it seems to be a pretty good car...handles better than I remember my previous TL being.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OpIv37
I have an 09 tech and haven't found much use for the music HDD. I just use the iPod connection.
I'm the exact opposite, as I still can't quite wrap my head around things like iTunes and Starbucks yet. I'm going to take tomorrow off to see if I can learn how to save music to the hard disk.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the exact opposite, as I still can't quite wrap my head around things like iTunes and Starbucks yet. I'm going to take tomorrow off to see if I can learn how to save music to the hard disk.
If you put a cd in, it should automatically rip it to the HDD, unless you disabled that feature.

I'm a big tech geek, and OCD about music, so I just love being able to have all my music with me all the time.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OpIv37
If you put a cd in, it should automatically rip it to the HDD, unless you disabled that feature.

I'm a big tech geek, and OCD about music, so I just love being able to have all my music with me all the time.
Thank you for the tip. On a somewhat related note, is it possible to play DVDs or Blueray on the nav screen? Perhaps by doing a simple mod?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Thank you for the tip. On a somewhat related note, is it possible to play DVDs or Blueray on the nav screen? Perhaps by doing a simple mod?
No you cant. Reason for that is that the system does not have the video decoder and it only reads the Audio files saved on the DVD-A media. There might be some hack or a crack or a mod that will enable that feature, but I am not aware of any at the moment. I heard that someone did that on an Infinity G37, but I am not sure about the TLs. Besides, it will be illegal in most of the states to drive and watch a movie on that screen....
Also, the Acura Nav system cant read BD media. So if there is a mod for it, it will only be for the DVD.
The following users liked this post:
OpIv37 (05-04-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mr_raja
No you cant. Reason for that is that the system does not have the video decoder and it only reads the Audio files saved on the DVD-A media. There might be some hack or a crack or a mod that will enable that feature, but I am not aware of any at the moment. I heard that someone did that on an Infinity G37, but I am not sure about the TLs. Besides, it will be illegal in most of the states to drive and watch a movie on that screen....
Also, the Acura Nav system cant read BD media. So if there is a mod for it, it will only be for the DVD.
Oh, that's too bad. But not a big deal I guess. I got used to being able to watch DVDs (when at a full stop) on the nav screen in one of my previous cars. But I'll adapt.

Thanks for the info.