09 TL vs 09 SHAWD...a quick comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
09 TL vs 09 SHAWD...a quick comparison

I had the opportunity to drive a fwd TL loaner for two days while my SHAWD was in for service. There were some pretty significant differences that I found, but I enjoyed both.
  1. Acceleration - Although the AWD has 20 plus more hp, it is lost in the drive train. You can feel more pull at the front wheels in the fwd, but they break free too easily and the electronics kick in. All 280 is directed towards the front. Throw some fat slicks up there and I bet she'd launch!
  2. Handling & Suspension - The handling feels very different. Body roll is about the same, but the AWD feels stiffer and heavier; somewhat more solid. The fwd handles bumps a little better with the 17's but overall I appreciate the feel of the fwd. It's not bad, it just leaves you wanting a little something more. I have much more confidence going in to a hard turn with the AWD then with the fwd.
  3. Seats - Similar, but the AWD seems to have more bolstering and a different leather seating surface.
  4. Misc- The fwd seems to roll easier when letting off of the gas. I really missed the tech package when driving the loaner. I got pretty spoiled with it and I'm glad to have it back.
Both 09 PM's with Ebony interiors.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey NJ since you have the loaner, do you mind if i ask you these questions?

#1 Does the Base feel as fast as the SHAWD on a roll? (on-ramps, merging, etc?)
#2 what do you mean the tires break free? Do you mean the stability control kicks in? or does it torque steer?
#3 Does the base handle poorly like a boat/camry/ES350? or still acceptable? (honda/acura-like)?
#4 Is the base model quieter than the SHAWD model?

I'm in a situation where i might downgrade from my SHAWD to a Base and your input would be great! I'll have more on that story (Why i need a new car) after i make my purchase decision. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Back From The dead

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
hey NJ since you have the loaner, do you mind if i ask you these questions?

#1 Does the Base feel as fast as the SHAWD on a roll? (on-ramps, merging, etc?) almost faster on a roll because there is no wheel spin. I'd be curious to se the two side by side accelerate together on a roll.
#2 what do you mean the tires break free? Do you mean the stability control kicks in? or does it torque steer? The tires start to break loose (or spin) and the stability kicks in and brakes. Don't take this the wrong way but it felt very similar to my 05 Odyssey. You could tell there was power waiting to rip, but the weight of the vehicle held it back and the wheels would spin.
#3 Does the base handle poorly like a boat/camry/ES350? or still acceptable? (honda/acura-like)? Handles surprisingly well but it's just not AWD well. If I couldn't own the awd, I would want this.
#4 Is the base model quieter than the SHAWD model? It does not feel as well insulated from noise, but it is better than most cars I've owned and this is my 34th car

I'm in a situation where i might downgrade from my SHAWD to a Base and your input would be great! I'll have more on that story (Why i need a new car) after i make my purchase decision. Thanks!
The base TL is not a bad option, but can't you go with a loaded Accord for the same money?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Well, I may be getting the Base w/ Tech. I had the SHAWD w/ Tech, and was a bit annoyed by the loud "thud" noises when going over bumps, and the poor gas mileage. It just seemed too firm. It also had a bit of road noise.

I'm just hoping that the Base TL w/ Tech has a quieter, softer, and smoother ride than the SHAWD.

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 04-01-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
The base TL is not a bad option, but can't you go with a loaded Accord for the same money?

Probably a loaded accord for much less money.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Back From The dead

Well, I may be getting the Base w/ Tech. I had the SHAWD w/ Tech, and was a bit annoyed by the loud "thud" noises when going over bumps, and the poor gas mileage. It just seemed too firm. It also had a bit of road noise.

I'm just hoping that the Base TL w/ Tech has a quieter, softer, and smoother ride than the SHAWD.
You'll get a softer ride because of the 17" wheels, but you lose a little ride comfort with the suspension. Overall there's a better feel with the AWD (IN MY OPINION)
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your roads are as smooth as glass, the AWD is a perfectly fine car. I live in NYC and the AWD car was just way too harsh for my liking. Hell, my wife calls the FWD car "the mix-o-matic" referring to it's tight suspension. I think the FWD suspension is still a bit too firm but it's way better than the AWD car. It's plenty sporty enough although it won't take twisties anywhere near as well as the AWD car. Almost no torque steer and I'd say at least 2mpg better gas mileage than the AWD car. In terms of straight ahead speed the two cars are very, very close with the FWD car being possibly a tenth of a second quicker to 60 and thru the quarter than the AWD car. Again, it's the weight difference and drivetrain losses of the AWD system that more than make up for the 20 extra HP. Best part of all, the FWD car is about $3k cheaper!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What seems lost in this discussion is driving fun. The SH-AWD transforms the TL into a legit sports sedan. Whether the road is dry, wet or covered with snow, SH-AWD technology makes driving the TL confidance-inspiring and plain-out fun. You just can't get that out of the FWD model...heck with any FWD car. The SH-AWD TL feels much more composed on the road and is able to handle any challenging road condition that is thrown at it. It's still no BMW when it comes to ultimate handling prowess, but in most normal circumstances, it comes very close. If you live in a 4-season environment, it's definately worth it to get the SH-AWD model.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by petestl
the sh-awd transforms the tl into a legit sports sedan. Whether the road is dry, wet or covered with snow, sh-awd technology makes driving the tl confidance-inspiring and plain-out fun. You just can't get that out of the fwd model...heck with any fwd car. The sh-awd tl feels much more composed on the road and is able to handle any challenging road condition that is thrown at it. It's still no bmw when it comes to ultimate handling prowess, but in most normal circumstances, it comes very close. If you live in a 4-season environment, it's definately worth it to get the sh-awd model.
+1
Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ill trade ya! haha. i on the other hand wanted the SH-AWD, but i didnt get to pick. came home and it was sitting there on the drive way as a surprise graduation gift from my folks.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imnghia
ill trade ya! haha. i on the other hand wanted the SH-AWD, but i didnt get to pick. came home and it was sitting there on the drive way as a surprise graduation gift from my folks.

Must be nice! All I got for my graduation was a slap on the back and oh by the way sign these Stafford Loan papers for your freshman year in college.

Seriously though...I got a hand-me-down car my junior year in high school - a 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with the 5.0L V8. I loved that car.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Back From The dead

If I had the choice between the two, there is no option for me other than the AWD.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
When my wife & I were shopping, we drove a 09 FWD TL loaded with Tech Package & the body kit and the 19" Diamond Cut wheels. It was a comfortable drive considering the wheels and it definitely felt quicker because of the less weight of the AWD.
Then we drove the 10 SH-AWD and it still had the Tech Package with the 18" wheels(I Love) and it was cheaper. The ride was much more composed and stable and I really wanted the AWD for my wife,so all in all we are very happy.
I think that is a characteristic of all AWD cars. They feel/are heavier and they are harder steering as well. you either like the feel or not.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
What seems lost in this discussion is driving fun. The SH-AWD transforms the TL into a legit sports sedan. Whether the road is dry, wet or covered with snow, SH-AWD technology makes driving the TL confidance-inspiring and plain-out fun.
+1

And the base TL to me felt more Lexus liek that Acura like, steering was nunb and no road feel way to light and the I felt too isolated from the road and the tires, again, more Toyota like. Not as bad as Toyota and Lexus, jsut more that way than the prvious TL.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
If I had the choice between the two, there is no option for me other than the AWD.
I remember when Acura first announced shipping the '09 TL, my dealership invited me to a private showing (as they did with all their past customers). They had about 10 new TLs, in all sorts of colors. The SH AWD wasn't out yet.

But, they had some one the showroom, which they let us sit in and oggle. They had 3 outside that they were letting us take "LIMITIED" test drives in. The line was long, but I waited my turn. I immediately was struck by the exterior. While I know I'm in the minority, I was immediately struck by how expressive and forward thinking the design was. The interior only amplified my reaction (which was overwhelmingly positive, and a welcome dramatic departure from past TLs).

Then, I drove it, albeit only for a couple of blocks. I was hooked. It was that much better than my '05 TL.

My sales person called me when they got their first SH AWD in. He knew I liked the new TL. And, if there was a person who'd want the SH AWD version, it would be me. I test drove it, and that was it. I had found my next car.

It took me another year to pull the trigger. But, finally did so last month.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jspagna1
When my wife & I were shopping, we drove a 09 FWD TL loaded with Tech Package & the body kit and the 19" Diamond Cut wheels. It was a comfortable drive considering the wheels and it definitely felt quicker because of the less weight of the AWD.
Then we drove the 10 SH-AWD and it still had the Tech Package with the 18" wheels(I Love) and it was cheaper. The ride was much more composed and stable and I really wanted the AWD for my wife,so all in all we are very happy.
I think that is a characteristic of all AWD cars. They feel/are heavier and they are harder steering as well. you either like the feel or not.
You said the SHAWD was cheaper than the Base? is it because of the body kit + wheels? seems like a huge mark up
Old 04-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Back From The dead

What seems lost in this discussion is driving fun. The SH-AWD transforms the TL into a legit sports sedan. Whether the road is dry, wet or covered with snow, SH-AWD technology makes driving the TL confidance-inspiring and plain-out fun. You just can't get that out of the FWD model...heck with any FWD car. The SH-AWD TL feels much more composed on the road and is able to handle any challenging road condition that is thrown at it. It's still no BMW when it comes to ultimate handling prowess, but in most normal circumstances, it comes very close. If you live in a 4-season environment, it's definately worth it to get the SH-AWD model.
Petes...agreed, I didn't go in to every aspect of the car and maybe I should have elaborated further. Quite honestly I didn't want to alienate fwd drivers by going on too much about the awd system. It is the reason I bought the car. I wanted AWD and there were few contenders in the $30,000 price range. In fact, the only other reasonable options were the Legacy GT LTD (which I've owned and modded an 05 already) or the Taurus SEL...or not . I was ready to go look at the new Leggy and passed my local Chevy dealer and saw an 09 SHAWD on the lot. The Leggy for me was the only other fast awd with enough room and reasonable comfort. I thought the SHAWD was out of reach price wise and saw the pre-owned on the Chevy dealers lot. Long story short I picked it up in the low 30's with 6k miles on it and it's the best purchase I have made out of the 34 cars I have bought
Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice summary!

I got the car mostly for it's AWD and overall capabilities. SH-AWD is quite fun and entertaining!

Last edited by YetiTL; 04-02-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Adding a comment to make more complete reply.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I can tell you from firsthand experience that my brothers 10' base TL gets beat handelly by my SH-AWD 6MT. Why? Because we raced each other. Not even close! Off the line he gets me but as soon as I hit 2nd... it's all over.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyT6MT
I can tell you from firsthand experience that my brothers 10' base TL gets beat handelly by my SH-AWD 6MT. Why? Because we raced each other. Not even close! Off the line he gets me but as soon as I hit 2nd... it's all over.
Well reviews has the 6mt going 0-60 in the low 5's range...thats over 1 sec. faster than the auto. You are supposed to whip him.