08 TL-S vs. 09 TL base or SH-AWD - which is better performer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:46 PM
Drifting

08 TL-S vs. 09 TL base or SH-AWD - which is better performer?

I'm curious if there is anyone here has gone from a TL-S (either an 07 or 08) to a NEW gen TL?

I had originally thought about buying a TL-S before the new TL came out. Now that the new TL is here - I'm not 100% thrilled about the exterior, although I do have to say - the interior is GREAT looking. I have driven several 3rd gen TLs, but have not yet test driven the new one.

I'm curious as to how the new TL stacks up against the older TL-S in terms of actual performance - both acceleration and handling? I have read some reviews suggesting that the 09 BASE is faster than the SH-AWD, but that the SH-AWD handles better. the numbers I've seen posted for skidpad and slalom seem similar to what the TL-S pulled off...

I woudl imagine the lack of torque steer on the SH-AWD is nice, but for normal driving, or slightly spirited driving where you are at 7/10ths (not 10/10ths track driving) I would think the TL-S might actually outperform the BASE 2009 TL? handling wise, it coudl be close to the SH-AWD?

in terms of real world feel/handling - have any of you spent decent seat time in both a TL-S and a new TL base or SH-AWD to offer real world observations.

I am looking to buy, and wnat somethign sort of sporty. I'me lookng at buying a used TL-S or possibly leasing a new 09 TL. I wan't something sporty, and fun, but also reliable,practical. I loved the BMW 335, but have pretty much ruled it out b/c I know once it goes off warranty, I'll get raped at the dealer for repairs. I know the Acura will likely run trouble free for longer and if it does need work, it won't break the bank. I have a Porsche Boxster for "fun" driving - so I want something for a daily driver - but being a "car buy" it's got to be sporty. It doesn't hvae to be a full blown sports sedan like an M3 or anything - but I don't want an Accord/Camry plain jane boring car. I love driving - and while I don't have to have some hardcore sedan to race around - I would like somethig that is actually fun to drive and take the occasion on/offramp at speed. I wan to be able to pass/merge and have actual power. I'm sure both the TL-S and the new TL will have similar powe levels - but when it comes time to take turns and go around corners - since the TL-S was more of a "sporty" suspension setup, i'm wondering if it would outhandle a base new tL??

any of you who have a lot of seat time in both - let me know what you think!!
Old 06-03-2009 | 01:51 PM
A Black TL

I would wait for the 6m/t sh-awd to come out. But other then that if u can get a cheap 07-08 TL-s then go for it.
Old 06-03-2009 | 01:57 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I tend to agree with the above.
I think the '10 TL-SH AWD in that Mayan Bronze with the reddish brown interior with a 6 speed will be the BOMB!
Old 06-04-2009 | 02:42 AM
Safety Car

^ I second that. No doubt!
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

You'll want to search my posts. Look at my signature, I have owned 5 3G TL, 2 of them Type-S and now a 4G AWD. The AWD is a more refined ride than the Type-S, it is a tad firmer, but their new 2 tage blow by shocks really allow the AWD to soak up the bumps a bit better than the Type-S without that jolty feeling. The 4G is a bigger car and rides bigger! I feel the Type-S felt more ressponsive in the throttle as it was not carrying as much weight and did not have to deal with all the conversion loses of the AWD. The Type-S to me was way more nimble. This is an a dramitc comparison, but the 4G AWD feels more boaty than the Type-S, again just to illustrate the size difference on handeling. The AWD provides a smoother ride than the Type-S.

I LOVED my 3G cars, especially my 08 Type-S. BUT the AWD rides btter, has better seats and fit, finish and build quality are much better. The ELS is awesome improvment over 3G ELS. That being said if the 3G had the fit and finish of the 4G and the ELS were the same I woudl have stuck with my 3G, I love the 3G Type-S style far better than the 4G. I am OK with 4G style, but don't love it, the above mentioned pros are what swayed me, but I still consider the styling a big con, the ugly beak specificially.

As for passing power, to me the AWD has plenty, but I feel the 3G brought it on a tad faster, again lighter car with less lose in the power train, so throttle response was more immidiate to wheels.

As for the Base TL, it is like mush compared to a Type-S or AWD, too soft and the steering in the FWD 4G is numb. I woudl not put the FWD 4G in the same league as wither the 3G Type-S or the 4G AWD.
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:00 PM
Soon I will have

^ nicely written, great comparison.