[MID/Oil change help] Maintenance Minder interval reset twice/prematurely.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[MID/Oil change help] Maintenance Minder interval reset twice/prematurely.

I bought a used 2012 TL with 10k miles from a non-Acura dealer. The car has 15k miles now and I'd like to service it asap the right way for peace of mind.

The MID shows 40% oil life remaining. It says "A1" for the current code that can be reset. There is a windshield sticker from the dealer saying the oil was changed right before I bought the car.

Someone has reset the MID twice. There had to have been an oil change around the 6k mile mark (A service). At 10k, the non-Acura dealer did NOT perform the B service as per Acura's manual. The technician only did a simple oil change and hit reset without realizing that would mess up the intervals.

What do I do? I'd like to do a *B12 service now, but the MID thinks all I need is an A1. Should I reset the MID twice so it thinks I need a B12?

*Along with changing the air filter and cabin/pollen filter at the suggested 15k interval.

**John Eagle Acura in Houston is asking $160 for a 15,000 mile service. They want to do more services than called for in the manual, independent of the MID. Can they fix the intervals? I don't have the time or tools to do the B service. I don't mind paying more while it's under warranty.

Last edited by Mustapha.Mond; 01-24-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustapha.Mond
I bought a used 2012 TL with 10k miles from a non-Acura dealer. The car has 15k miles now and I'd like to service it asap the right way for peace of mind.

The MID shows 40% oil life remaining. It says "A1" for the current code that can be reset. There is a windshield sticker from the dealer saying the oil was changed right before I bought the car.

Someone has reset the MID twice. There had to have been an oil change around the 6k mile mark (A service). At 10k, the non-Acura dealer did NOT perform the B service as per Acura's manual. The technician only did a simple oil change and hit reset without realizing that would mess up the intervals.

What do I do? I'd like to do a *B12 service now, but the MID thinks all I need is an A1. Should I reset the MID twice so it thinks I need a B12?

*Along with changing the air filter and cabin/pollen filter at the suggested 15k interval.

**John Eagle Acura in Houston is asking $160 for a 15,000 mile service. They want to do more services than called for in the manual, independent of the MID. Can they fix the intervals? I don't have the time or tools to do the B service. I don't mind paying more while it's under warranty.
Follow the MID. Dont mess around with it. It is designed to work in the way it is working. No matter how many times you reset it, it wont "think" that you need a B12 service. The system gives out the codes depending on your driving style. I have 13300 miles on my TL and, so far, I have only done one A1 service, which is just an oil and filter change. I am guessing the next one will call for the engine oil/filter and differential oil change (Service Code B16 for SHAWD) around 15000 miles, but we will see. I still have 30% oil life left as per the MID.

Also, as I mentioned above that the MID relies heavily on your driving style. There are a few people here on Acurazine that had to do the B16 service around 10000 miles too. Probably they drive hard or drive in stop-and-go traffic.

So dont mess around with the system, you might piss the car off and it might transform in to a robot and drain its coolant on you.
The following users liked this post:
Mustapha.Mond (01-30-2013)