Who else is moving or moved from an RDX to the new MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 12:01 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Who else is moving or moved from an RDX to the new MDX?

I've been driving RDXs for 5 straight years and will be picking up my new MDX this weekend. Just curious how long it will take to get used to the size difference coming from the smallish RDX to the "not fat, just big boned" MDX.

Mostly I'm thinking about pulling into or backing into parking spots, passing through narrow areas, turning into or coming out of corners, etc. — generally getting a good sense of situational awareness of the 4 corners of the car from the driver's seat.

I feel like I should go to a big empty parking lot and practice. LOL!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
2016 rdx and we love it but we ordered a 2022 mdx for little more room for occasional trips with grandkids. However, love our rdx so much we decided to keep it too
Old 03-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
I've been driving RDXs for 5 straight years and will be picking up my new MDX this weekend. Just curious how long it will take to get used to the size difference coming from the smallish RDX to the "not fat, just big boned" MDX.
Mostly I'm thinking about pulling into or backing into parking spots, passing through narrow areas, turning into or coming out of corners, etc. — generally getting a good sense of situational awareness of the 4 corners of the car from the driver's seat.
I wonder this coming from a g37x, which is actually about the same length as your rdx!

RDX to mdx though - it's a foot longer (6.5%), and 4 inches wider.
So it's noticeable for sure, but I can't imagine it's -that- dramatic of a difference?
I'm going to totally need/want that 360 camera to squeeze out of the parking garage I'm in though.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Puma Jim
2016 rdx and we love it but we ordered a 2022 mdx for little more room for occasional trips with grandkids. However, love our rdx so much we decided to keep it too
My '19 RDX is the best car I've ever owned. I expect the streak to continue with the 2022 MDX Advance. I'm even getting it in the same colors. Decided to get the running boards with chrome accents for the MDX, but otherwise mostly duplicated the various accessories I had gotten for the RDX.

Sunday is going to be a big day for me!
The following 3 users liked this post by birdonamission:
ELIN (03-05-2021), papachan (03-05-2021), savvich (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I wonder this coming from a g37x, which is actually about the same length as your rdx!

RDX to mdx though - it's a foot longer (6.5%), and 4 inches wider.
So it's noticeable for sure, but I can't imagine it's -that- dramatic of a difference?
Thanks — that's helpful.

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
I'm going to totally need/want that 360 camera to squeeze out of the parking garage I'm in though.
Absolutely! Some parking garages are absolutely nightmares to try and park in (even with my RDX). Extremely narrow and short lanes and huge pillars everywhere...
Old 03-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
This is irrelevant, but I plan to move from a 2019 MDX SH-AWD TECH to a 2021 RDX ADV SH-AWD. I don't need a 3 row SUV (just me) and the 2022 MDX is way outta my price range. The RDX is the sweet spot in size, features, and value for my needs/wants. I hope those that purchase the new MDX love it.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
This is irrelevant, but I plan to move from a 2019 MDX SH-AWD TECH to a 2021 RDX ADV SH-AWD. I don't need a 3 row SUV (just me) and the 2022 MDX is way outta my price range. The RDX is the sweet spot in size, features, and value for my needs/wants. I hope those that purchase the new MDX love it.
I think you will love the RDX! I agree with the "sweet spot" description. It will be a fond farewell to my RDX, but psyched for the '22 MDX.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:54 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 6 MDX vehicles over the years and recently switched to the 2020 RDX. Loved the ride, the 10 speed and the turbo. Easy to navigate even on ice and snow. Just switched back to a 2022 MDX because I needed the tow capacity and room. I don't think you will notice a dramatic change with the MDX. It does have more body roll, and the brakes are a little weak. It's basically an overgrown RDX. Surprised how much better the 2022 drives with the 10 speed over the 9 speed. Even feels like it has more power than the previous generation when I pass on two lane. Hopefully, the MDX won't be plagued with the tech glitches the RDX had. Quite annoying until they were fixed under warranty.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by markjl
I've had 6 MDX vehicles over the years and recently switched to the 2020 RDX. Loved the ride, the 10 speed and the turbo. Easy to navigate even on ice and snow. Just switched back to a 2022 MDX because I needed the tow capacity and room. I don't think you will notice a dramatic change with the MDX. It does have more body roll, and the brakes are a little weak. It's basically an overgrown RDX. Surprised how much better the 2022 drives with the 10 speed over the 9 speed. Even feels like it has more power than the previous generation when I pass on two lane. Hopefully, the MDX won't be plagued with the tech glitches the RDX had. Quite annoying until they were fixed under warranty.
At least you are very familiar with the TrueTouch interface, which appears to be a deal breaker for many.

Have you been able to make use of the wireless CarPlay/Android Auto? That's one big exclusive over all the other Acuras!
Old 03-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m planning on switching from a ‘20 RDX to the ‘22 MDX. I’m just waiting for the TypeS to come out before I make my decision as to which trim. I had an MDX previously and I prefer the size. The RDX is a great vehicle. I’ve had good luck with it...knock wood.
The following 2 users liked this post by andre12dbsi:
birdonamission (03-07-2021), Ghostrider10-32 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:50 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
I'm considering the mdx type s to replace my 2019 rdx in about a year from now
Old 03-06-2021, 07:40 AM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ELIN
At least you are very familiar with the TrueTouch interface, which appears to be a deal breaker for many.

Have you been able to make use of the wireless CarPlay/Android Auto? That's one big exclusive over all the other Acuras!
I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the heads-up. Will have to check that out. It is nice having the wireless pad right there on the console. Just got the vehicle earlier in the week, and I'm in discovery mode. So far most tech controls are almost identical to 2020 RDX. Made the move to the MDX a little easier when it comes to the interface.
ELIN (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I'm considering the mdx type s to replace my 2019 rdx in about a year from now
Same for me. I have 2019 RDX Aspec and will be looking at the MDX Type S as a potential replacement.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:46 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Can't wait to see the actual specs of it!
Old 03-06-2021, 07:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts

I don’t agree.
If it was a deal breaker, Acura wouldn’t have sold 60K units + RDX since 2018. I can assure you that the MDX will be bigger hit than the RDX.

The issue is TLX, with all fairness it’s not even the TLX but that whole segment. Sedans aren’t showing their magic. The TLX is a great car but I am sure people opt in for RDX when they compare both vehicles. Price wise they are the same and size wise, RDX is a huge winner.
savvich (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:31 AM
Pro

Thanks. I appreciate your perspective as a long-time MDX owner.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:36 AM
Pro

I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the heads-up. Will have to check that out. It is nice having the wireless pad right there on the console. Just got the vehicle earlier in the week, and I'm in discovery mode. So far most tech controls are almost identical to 2020 RDX. Made the move to the MDX a little easier when it comes to the interface.
How have you adjusted to or noticed differences between the sizes of the 2020 RDX and the new MDX (ease of parking, etc.)?
Old 03-07-2021, 03:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
The issue is TLX, with all fairness it’s not even the TLX but that whole segment. Sedans aren’t showing their magic. The TLX is a great car but I am sure people opt in for RDX when they compare both vehicles. Price wise they are the same and size wise, RDX is a huge winner.
I'm one of those who quit buying sedans since 5 cars (10 years) ago. Never looked back since moving to SUVs (2011 Mazda CX-9, 2017 and 2019 RDXs, and now the 2022 MDX I'm picking up today).

My last sedan was a Cadillac CTS (gorgeous car, fun to drive, etc.), but it was too small to be practical. SUVs have "utility" as their middle name, after all.

Last edited by birdonamission; 03-07-2021 at 03:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by birdonamission:
ELIN (03-07-2021), Tony Pac (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The MDX is a larger and more expensive than the RDX; but, very similar in performance, 4 seasons handling, and mpgs in sh-awd version. A lot of folks are snatching up new/used 3rd Gen MDXs compared to buying a new 2021 RDX because of apples-to-apples in price and the MDX added features like higher towing, more space, V-6 engine, hybrid option, and same-to-better mpgs. The MDX can do double duty as a city car and hwy hauler unless you have a tight parking spot or have to maneuver in tight spaces. You will be amazed after having the MDX for a while on how much use you will get from having the extra space and room compared to the RDX. It is like going from a tight 2-car garage to an oversized 3-car garage type of feeling.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
birdonamission (03-10-2021), Tony Pac (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 09:21 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
I'm one of those who quit buying sedans since 5 cars (10 years) ago. Never looked back since moving to SUVs (2011 Mazda CX-9, 2017 and 2019 RDXs, and now the 2022 MDX I'm picking up today).

My last sedan was a Cadillac CTS (gorgeous car, fun to drive, etc.), but it was too small to be practical. SUVs have "utility" as their middle name, after all.
Agreed! I think many people are doing that. It’s sad that sedans are dying 😢
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Just test drove a 22 MDX ASpec and felt very familiar since I have a 2019 Aspec RDX. Like the V6 and the added room for sure. I am however thinking of a Advance instead of the Aspec as I like the extra features although the salesman downplayed them compared to the Aspec since he thought they were going to make a sale right then. Want to appraise my 2019 RDX and I declined as I am still researching. They did not have an Advance in stock and all the ones that are n the way are already spoken for. Said I would need to put a deposit on one that's coming in later. Only have 13k miles on my RDX and owe 29k on the lease. Of course they probably want to steal it from me. Since I have such low mileage 13k (45k allowed) and the lease terms some of that get transferred to a new MDX as well as other perks. Think I'll check out another dealer.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Just test drove a 22 MDX ASpec and felt very familiar since I have a 2019 Aspec RDX. Like the V6 and the added room for sure. I am however thinking of a Advance instead of the Aspec as I like the extra features although the salesman downplayed them compared to the Aspec since he thought they were going to make a sale right then. Want to appraise my 2019 RDX and I declined as I am still researching. They did not have an Advance in stock and all the ones that are n the way are already spoken for. Said I would need to put a deposit on one that's coming in later. Only have 13k miles on my RDX and owe 29k on the lease. Of course they probably want to steal it from me. Since I have such low mileage 13k (45k allowed) and the lease terms some of that get transferred to a new MDX as well as other perks. Think I'll check out another dealer.
How much did you put as downpayment on the RDX and how many months left on the lease?
Old 03-09-2021, 01:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded my 19' RDX to the 22' MDX. Took me about 2-3 days of driving to get use to the size, acceleration feels faster on the RDX. I love both the RDX and MDX for different reasons, no regrets trading the RDX in though.
The following 2 users liked this post by iightz:
birdonamission (03-10-2021), ELIN (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I'll be moving from a 2008 RDX to a 2022 MDX, as soon as I'm able to make a deal and pay at or below invoice. I don't switch cars often.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:43 AM
Pro

How much did you put as downpayment on the RDX and how many months left on the lease?
4k down/15k miles year/6 months left on Lease
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 AM
Drifting

4k down/15k miles year/6 months left on Lease
Assuming you were on a 36 month lease, then you stand to lose $667 from your original $4k down with 6 months to go. Also, you won't be able to carry over all your overage miles as Acura only allows you to transfer up to 15k miles from prior lease:

https://www.acura.com/financial-serv...Luxury%20Lease.

My suggestion is to ride out the rest of the 6 months of your lease to maximize the mileage you paid for (not to mention the rest of your downpayment). By that time, overage miles will probably still be over 15k miles but it will be closer rather than losing half of unused miles turning it in now.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:48 AM
Pro

Assuming you were on a 36 month lease, then you stand to lose $667 from your original $4k down with 6 months to go. Also, you won't be able to carry over all your overage miles as Acura only allows you to transfer up to 15k miles from prior lease:

https://www.acura.com/financial-serv...Luxury%20Lease.

My suggestion is to ride out the rest of the 6 months of your lease to maximize the mileage you paid for (not to mention the rest of your downpayment). By that time, overage miles will probably still be over 15k miles but it will be closer rather than losing half of unused miles turning it in now.
No problem regarding the mileage. I am retired so biggest trips are occasional road trips. 15k added to a new 10k per year lease is good enough for me. I appreciate your suggestion but in the scheme of things $667 is no big deal. Only thing is I could sell my RDX and easily pocket 5K which would be the down for a new MDX but then no carryover miles and perhaps loss of other incentives. Now I just need to decide MDX Aspec or Advance. I could really use the Seat extenders at my age and the other extras on the Advance sound great as well. At least the MDX Advance has decent rims compared to the RDX Advance. Im really in no hurry, I have until September. I drove a 22 MDX Aspec the other day as they had no Advance in stock and the ones coming are already sold. Once more are in the pipeline I could put a deposit down but I don't like doing that if I have not seen it in the flesh or negotiated the price before hand. Between a rock and a hard place here.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Drifting

No problem regarding the mileage. I am retired so biggest trips are occasional road trips. 15k added to a new 10k per year lease is good enough for me. I appreciate your suggestion but in the scheme of things $667 is no big deal. Only thing is I could sell my RDX and easily pocket 5K which would be the down for a new MDX but then no carryover miles and perhaps loss of other incentives. Now I just need to decide MDX Aspec or Advance. I could really use the Seat extenders at my age and the other extras on the Advance sound great as well. At least the MDX Advance has decent rims compared to the RDX Advance. Im really in no hurry, I have until September. I drove a 22 MDX Aspec the other day as they had no Advance in stock and the ones coming are already sold. Once more are in the pipeline I could put a deposit down but I don't like doing that if I have not seen it in the flesh or negotiated the price before hand. Between a rock and a hard place here.
Understood on the retirement thing. I hope to get there one day...

I'm confused when you mentioned the "selling the RDX" part. Since you are leasing, you have no equity in the vehicle. The only folks who can technically buy the vehicle would be Acura (whom you said were lowballing you on price) or another maker who wants you as part of a conquest deal (but no overage lease miles).

I had 3 months to go on my 2018 MDX lease and I wanted to get into a TLX. Since there was no "pull ahead" program on the TLX back in October, the Acura dealer bought the vehicle themselves to resell (other makers gave me no equity). Like you said, your RDX is probably worth a lot more than the Acura dealer is offering you.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:18 AM
Pro

Understood on the retirement thing. I hope to get there one day...

I'm confused when you mentioned the "selling the RDX" part. Since you are leasing, you have no equity in the vehicle. The only folks who can technically buy the vehicle would be Acura (whom you said were lowballing you on price) or another maker who wants you as part of a conquest deal (but no overage lease miles).

I had 3 months to go on my 2018 MDX lease and I wanted to get into a TLX. Since there was no "pull ahead" program on the TLX back in October, the Acura dealer bought the vehicle themselves to resell (other makers gave me no equity). Like you said, your RDX is probably worth a lot more than the Acura dealer is offering you.
Here is a screen shot of my current payoff amount. So, if I write them a check right now for the payoff amount its mine. or someone else's .Dealer thinks everyones stupid and does not know this. They tried to play the appraise the RDX when I test drove the other day, I passed. Of course the dealer would just like to get it for the payoff amount.

Last edited by tecwerks; 03-11-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Here is a screen shot of my current payoff amount. So, if I write them a check right now for the payoff amount its mine. or someone else's .Dealer thinks everyones stupid and does not know this. They tried to play the appraise the RDX when I test drove the other day, I passed. Of course the dealer would just like to get it for the payoff amount.

Understood!

I've yet to buy out any of my leases so that is definitely another option. It's just a lot cleaner to give it to the dealer than buying it outright and then selling it privately (especially during COVID).

Since supply is low and demand is still high on the MDX, I think you will have no choice but to wait.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

Keep in mind you have to pay taxes on the payoff amount. Depending on your tax rate, account for roughly ~$3,000 for taxes (used a rough 10% tax).

I've purchased several of my Acuras at lease end (and have sold mid-lease), but often people don't factor in taxes when they engage in resale.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Type34
Keep in mind you have to pay taxes on the payoff amount. Depending on your tax rate, account for roughly ~$3,000 for taxes (used a rough 10% tax).

I've purchased several of my Acuras at lease end (and have sold mid-lease), but often people don't factor in taxes when they engage in resale.
In NC it’s a 3% tax so that’s ~ $900,00 if I buy it out, If I trade or sell it I owe no taxes. I’ll probably just turn it in since I owe less than wholesale price especially with only 13k. I plan on a 22 MDX Advance to be ordered real soon. I get some additional perks when I lease another Acura.

Last edited by tecwerks; 03-11-2021 at 06:40 PM.