Loose rear bumper reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 02:51 PM
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Loose rear bumper reflectors

Has anyone noticed the excessive wiggle from these reflectors. I asked Acura about them and apparently all of them have this with some more than others. I picked up on a little noise coming from the back with the windows down. when hitting bumpy roads so i went to feel around the back area for any movements. Just thought i would bring it up and see if your model has the some play in it.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:02 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
Nothing of the sort on our '24, but it's only 3 months old. Time will tell.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
Racer

Mine is a 2023 ASpec. I went to the dealership yesterday for my B16 service and took a walk around the dealership to check out the other MDX's and see if they had the same issue. Believe it or not, every single one had same play in the part and it did not seat properly with some worse than others. Its very noticeable if you place your finger over the reflector and just wiggle it.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:08 AM
Racer

I'll check ours tonight when I get home and report back.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
I just detailed my week-old '24 for the first time and noticed this instantly. Unlike the rest of the vehicle which seems to be built like a tank, these wiggly reflectors really seem odd.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:03 PM
‘24 MDX A-SPEC

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just checked mine, loose as well. Think there’s a reason why? Seems weird
Old 05-18-2024, 01:53 PM
Dedalus

Mine are loose. My guess is that the design is that they snap in and stay there, just not particularly tight. I wouldn’t call that weird. I would have real problems if the headlights could be seen wobbling around or if there was going to be a noticeable rattle noise. I would hate an interior trim piece to rattle or if this little reflector actually fell out. Other than that, I’m good.
Mike Todd.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by dedalus5550
Mine are loose. My guess is that the design is that they snap in and stay there, just not particularly tight. I wouldn’t call that weird. I would have real problems if the headlights could be seen wobbling around or if there was going to be a noticeable rattle noise. I would hate an interior trim piece to rattle or if this little reflector actually fell out. Other than that, I’m good.
Mike Todd.
From the first picture below, it appears the 'male' ends of the reflector 'snap in', as you mention, within the 'female' bumper receivers indicated on the second picture below.
One would have to figure out a method to, perhaps, increase the outer diameter of the male end, without interfering with the plastic fastener, to tighten things up?

Old 05-18-2024, 08:09 PM
Dedalus

I just checked. It's very easy to lay underneath the back end, on your back, and have pretty good access to the inside area. I'm guessing some sort of sealant, RTV, caulking, just a few small dabs, would work perfectly at eliminating the rattle. Sort of like spot-welding or gluing it into place. (Not sure about the impact of any particular material, though.)
Mike Todd
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I just checked. It's very easy to lay underneath the back end, on your back, and have pretty good access to the inside area. I'm guessing some sort of sealant, RTV, caulking, just a few small dabs, would work perfectly at eliminating the rattle. Sort of like spot-welding or gluing it into place. (Not sure about the impact of any particular material, though.)
Mike Todd
Just curious, is the access good enough to get one's hand in to press those two 'tabs', on the male ends, and slip the reflector out?
If so, this could be the start of a potential 'fix' thread for those who want to indulge and give it a go?
Old 05-18-2024, 08:45 PM
Dedalus

Originally Posted by zeta
Just curious, is the access good enough to get one's hand in to press those two 'tabs', on the male ends, and slip the reflector out?
If so, this could be the start of a potential 'fix' thread for those who want to indulge and give it a go?
Yep. Just did that. It's easiest to get the most outside tab loose, then work that from the outside while you work the inside to get the inner tab out. What I found is that the middle whole could be used. A self tapping screw or just a screw about the right size, from the inside could hold it. Hard angle on that, you would need one of those ratchet-y screwdrivers that work from the side--like a ratchet. Could even put some double sticky tape under as you re-install it. Lot's of options, if you care, and they do pop out relatively easily if you work it just like you could imagine looking at the above pictures.
Mike Todd
The following users liked this post:
zeta (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 08:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Yep. Just did that. It's easiest to get the most outside tab loose, then work that from the outside while you work the inside to get the inner tab out. What I found is that the middle whole could be used. A self tapping screw or just a screw about the right size, from the inside could hold it. Hard angle on that, you would need one of those ratchet-y screwdrivers that work from the side--like a ratchet. Could even put some double sticky tape under as you re-install it. Lot's of options, if you care, and they do pop out relatively easily if you work it just like you could imagine looking at the above pictures.
Mike Todd

Thanks for getting under there & giving it a go.
I was thinking maybe a piece of wide foam tape wrapped around the male end, like below?
That would 'fill in' any gap that would cause the 'looseness' (for the lack of a better word ) as well as provide a soft type insulation between the plastic of the reflector and the plastic bumper material while still allowing for access to the 'tabs' for install / removal?

Last edited by zeta; 05-18-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:42 AM
Racer

I checked ours this morning and they aren't "loose," like rattling around, but they can be moved maybe a millimetre or so in the bumper.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:20 AM
Racer

Good stuff guys! I can definitely see many ways to get this rattle under control. They diffidently have to keep in consideration the serviceability of the reflector and how to get access with out removing the rear bumper. I havent had time to mess with it and see if its just a snap on part or there is a screw to hold it in place, but seems like the work has already been done. Someone at Acura didn't account for the correct length of the snap feature.