Gen 4 MDX VCM indication with Scangauge3 and S-VCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 10:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gen 4 MDX VCM indication with Scangauge3 and S-VCM

Hi guys,

Got our 23 MDX about two weeks ago (our first Acura/Honda ever), my Scangauge 3 arrived today so went for some test drive this afternoon, wanted to share my observation. I did a bit test drive with S-VCM connected then with its power disconnected, SG3 is on all time.

Observations (Florida sunny day with 92F):
1. With SG3 and S-VCM both opened, now I have their functionality cross checked.
2. SG3 seems to be very useful tool with lots of information readily available, most importantly, the active cylinder # and VCM solenoid on/off are both available with a simple autoscan.
3. With S-VCM connected to battery, it is working as designed, Coolant 1 Temp has been kept under 165F during my test run at various speed and rpm. Active cylinder shown on SG3 was always 6 and VCM solenoid was always on off position.
4. With S-VCM disconnected, SG3 was able to identify the VCM activity in an instant, the felt vibration on this Gen4 MDX is very minimum, it almost felt like a down shift from Honda's crappy transmission and most of the time I couldn't notice it if the pavement is not quite smooth.
5. My takeaway on VCM of the Gen 4 MDX, so far I have a little over 300 miles on my car, I'd like to keep all my cars long term so I don't want this thing to be active at all and I don't mind slightly lower mpg. With that said, I found out with SG3 that the VCM on this Gen 4 MDX is very aggressive, under Normal drive mode, it would activate whenever it could, the lowest speed I observed 3 Active Cylinder and VCM Solenoid on is at 17mph, it will be turned off once I tap on brake or gas pedal. Under Sport/Individual Sport Engine mode, one the other hand, I could not make the VCM be activated with all kinds of try.

Now one more thing I'm trying to find out is whether the S-VCM would disable VTEC due to the ECT1 deception and around what thresholds the J35Y5 VECT is set to kick in on a Gen 4 MDX. Anyone could share some experience and knowledge on this? I pushed to max 6250 rpm per SG3 with and without S-VCM today but I couldn't tell the difference from engine sound due to the fake sound pumped through speaker.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:33 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Are you going to mount it? If so, where?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:41 PM
7th Gear

That's the headache I'm having right now. So far I'm been leaving it at the cup holder, but the magnet is definitely strong enough if I'm mounting it. Thinking about on the left hand side above the dash board.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry, fairly educated Automotive Guy here and I can’t track what you are solving for. Please share your end state goal so that I can appreciate the effort you have put into these data points.

Thank you.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:03 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by KidK
Sorry, fairly educated Automotive Guy here and I can’t track what you are solving for. Please share your end state goal so that I can appreciate the effort you have put into these data points.

Thank you.
Hi KidK, I'm trying to disable VCM Honda puts on the J series Engine. I want to confirm the S-VCM does what it claims and also wants to see the threshold that VCM is set to kick in.

Another thing I'm still trying to find answer is to find out whether the S-VCM will disable VTEC since it is deceiving ECU on the coolant temperature.
The following users liked this post:
KidK (06-19-2023)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adiemus5
Hi guys,

Got our 23 MDX about two weeks ago (our first Acura/Honda ever), my Scangauge 3 arrived today so went for some test drive this afternoon, wanted to share my observation. I did a bit test drive with S-VCM connected then with its power disconnected, SG3 is on all time.

Observations (Florida sunny day with 92F):
1. With SG3 and S-VCM both opened, now I have their functionality cross checked.
2. SG3 seems to be very useful tool with lots of information readily available, most importantly, the active cylinder # and VCM solenoid on/off are both available with a simple autoscan.
3. With S-VCM connected to battery, it is working as designed, Coolant 1 Temp has been kept under 165F during my test run at various speed and rpm. Active cylinder shown on SG3 was always 6 and VCM solenoid was always on off position.
4. With S-VCM disconnected, SG3 was able to identify the VCM activity in an instant, the felt vibration on this Gen4 MDX is very minimum, it almost felt like a down shift from Honda's crappy transmission and most of the time I couldn't notice it if the pavement is not quite smooth.
5. My takeaway on VCM of the Gen 4 MDX, so far I have a little over 300 miles on my car, I'd like to keep all my cars long term so I don't want this thing to be active at all and I don't mind slightly lower mpg. With that said, I found out with SG3 that the VCM on this Gen 4 MDX is very aggressive, under Normal drive mode, it would activate whenever it could, the lowest speed I observed 3 Active Cylinder and VCM Solenoid on is at 17mph, it will be turned off once I tap on brake or gas pedal. Under Sport/Individual Sport Engine mode, one the other hand, I could not make the VCM be activated with all kinds of try.

Now one more thing I'm trying to find out is whether the S-VCM would disable VTEC due to the ECT1 deception and around what thresholds the J35Y5 VECT is set to kick in on a Gen 4 MDX. Anyone could share some experience and knowledge on this? I pushed to max 6250 rpm per SG3 with and without S-VCM today but I couldn't tell the difference from engine sound due to the fake sound pumped through speaker.
Is your 2023 MDX a Type S or is it a base or A Spec, etc.? I'm shoping a 2024 MDX Tpe S and worried about the VCM and Auto-Start/Stop issues.