Custom iPhone Wireless Charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2023 | 06:09 PM
Pro

Custom iPhone Wireless Charger

Some of you may have seen my previous post about swapping out the non-function iPhone wireless charger. Well I took it a step further and custom designed and 3D printer one to use with the Apple MagSafe charger.

If there is enough interested I may end up selling them.

Old 09-28-2023 | 06:57 PM
1st Gear

Hi Brandon. Awesome work! I’ve been working on something similar for my Integra. I was hoping that the MDX and Integra shared the same OEM pad, but they are very different in length. I verified this since my wife has an MDX.

I have taken apart my center console in order to get a better idea as to what options I have. I have an iPhone, and the goal was always to use a MagSafe puck along with some sort of hidden-away power source of +20W. I wanted the whole thing to be as OEM looking as possible with no visible wires.

At first, I wanted to create a 3D printed tray. Then I came across your two posts. I ordered a MagSafe charger to test out if I could simply attach it from the bottom of the pad, but I ran into a problem. I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and the camera bump prevents the phone from laying flat on the tray. If I move the phone over the edge so that it lays flat, the charging works. That’s why your creation with the Acura logo “bump” is the perfect workaround.

I don’t have experience with CAD software, but I’m pretty tech savvy. Can I scan my charger top case, or do I need to take every measurement and enter it manually? I also don’t have a 3D printer, but I am in the process of checking with my local library.

Any suggestion/advice? Also, how thin did you have to make the logo for it to have a good connection?

If you were to sell the MDX piece, how much shipped to 33177?

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2023 | 08:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JC-RH
Hi Brandon. Awesome work! I’ve been working on something similar for my Integra. I was hoping that the MDX and Integra shared the same OEM pad, but they are very different in length. I verified this since my wife has an MDX.

I have taken apart my center console in order to get a better idea as to what options I have. I have an iPhone, and the goal was always to use a MagSafe puck along with some sort of hidden-away power source of +20W. I wanted the whole thing to be as OEM looking as possible with no visible wires.

At first, I wanted to create a 3D printed tray. Then I came across your two posts. I ordered a MagSafe charger to test out if I could simply attach it from the bottom of the pad, but I ran into a problem. I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and the camera bump prevents the phone from laying flat on the tray. If I move the phone over the edge so that it lays flat, the charging works. That’s why your creation with the Acura logo “bump” is the perfect workaround.

I don’t have experience with CAD software, but I’m pretty tech savvy. Can I scan my charger top case, or do I need to take every measurement and enter it manually? I also don’t have a 3D printer, but I am in the process of checking with my local library.

Any suggestion/advice? Also, how thin did you have to make the logo for it to have a good connection?

Thanks!!
havent visited here in a while.. I ended up taking the OEM enclosure and measuring with a caliper to duplicate it in 3d software. I use Shapr3d. I never designed anything before but watched some YouTube videos and just figured it out - it was a fun project. The thickness between the wireless charger to phone is about 1MM. Definitely recommend using ASA filament. When I used PLA it deformed in the summer heat.
The following users liked this post:
pavementprincess (02-07-2024)
Old 11-18-2023 | 09:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JC-RH

Thanks!!
if you wanted me to print identical to mine (except not the carbon fiber look) probably $50
Old 02-08-2024 | 12:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
if you wanted me to print identical to mine (except not the carbon fiber look) probably $50
I’ve never 3D printed anything but I think you can upload your design to thingiverse and then others can leverage your skillful design to print themselves. Really love seeing the ingenuity. This type of solution would seem to solve MagSafe charging issues for iPhone users across many car models
Old 05-25-2024 | 07:02 PM
Pro

I ended up selling my Acura and willing to sell this to anyone interested. Comes with the Apple MagSafe charger too
Old 06-20-2024 | 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
I ended up selling my Acura and willing to sell this to anyone interested. Comes with the Apple MagSafe charger too
Brandon, do you still have your custom charging pad, if so how much would you want for it?