2022 MDX delays

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
2022 MDX delays

I ordered an advance early March and dealer said sometime in April which is fine and I expected as much with a new design vehicle. Today I asked the salesman for an update and he states 2022 mdx’s are now delayed because if the chip shortage. Just curious if any one else running into the same problem?
Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I read somewhere (maybe AZ) that Acura or the MDX was not affected by the chip shortage. Also, have your salesman ask the GM or new car manager.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen4MDX
I read somewhere (maybe AZ) that Acura or the MDX was not affected by the chip shortage. Also, have your salesman ask the GM or new car manager.
On March 26th I asked my salesman (I have a deposit on, and am impatiently waiting for, the first Type S the dealership gets) (birthday gift for my fiance) if the chip shortage had led to any production delays with the MDX and he said they had NOT.

He seemed pretty confident in that statement. Expanded on it to explain why specifically it had not (though I forget his exact response) Perhaps he was uninformed. Perhaps things have changed since that date.

Other possibilities:
-your dealer doesn't have a lot of allocation and they are trying to give you an excuse to avoid you looking elsewhere assuming every dealer will be in the same position.
-your dealer has your deposit and feels you are a captive audience and needed a timely delivery to "make or break" another sale and bumped you in their queue.

The dealer I've been working with has tons of MDX's coming through. (and they are selling fast) They took delivery right on schedule in early Feb as projected for delivery to dealer dates...

I'll certainly pass any other info I hear along.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ghostrider10-32:
ELIN (04-06-2021), Gen4MDX (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Puma Jim
I ordered an advance early March and dealer said sometime in April which is fine and I expected as much with a new design vehicle. Today I asked the salesman for an update and he states 2022 mdx’s are now delayed because if the chip shortage. Just curious if any one else running into the same problem?
The cynic in me says he sold your car to someone else. I hope I'm wrong as honest dealers are hard to come by these days.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
The cynic in me says he sold your car to someone else. I hope I'm wrong as honest dealers are hard to come by these days.
I think you are right. got a call in to an Acura dealer three hours away and waiting to hear back. I sent my salesman an email stating I more than likely will be moving on and get my deposit back. Waiting to hear from both dealers now
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I think you are right. got a call in to an Acura dealer three hours away and waiting to hear back. I sent my salesman an email stating I more than likely will be moving on and get my deposit back. Waiting to hear from both dealers now
It's April 6th. "Sometime in April" still has 24 days left. The chip shortage comment does lend to some eyebrow raising, but I'm not sure I'd bail on the transaction just yet.

Now if the salesman stated that your delivery is now looking at May or June, then I agree with ELIN that a bigger sale presented itself (or will present itself).
Gen4MDX (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Instructor

I understand it is early April but now dealer can’t guarantee that. Anyway I am going to wait. Dealer three hours away, and much bigger dealer, said he is due one end of the month but no way will he come off sticker where my local dealer is $1000 off msrp and I have it in writing with a deposit down
Old 04-06-2021, 12:59 PM
Drifting

I understand it is early April but now dealer can’t guarantee that. Anyway I am going to wait. Dealer three hours away, and much bigger dealer, said he is due one end of the month but no way will he come off sticker where my local dealer is $1000 off msrp and I have it in writing with a deposit down
Hope for the best...prepare for the worst. Best of luck in getting your deal finalized!
Old 04-09-2021, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Yep, definitely keep us posted. I checked TrueCar pricing and it says the 2022 average transaction price is between $10 - $436 above MSRP (depending on the region). Prices will normalize, but $1000 off MSRP is pretty good right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Type34:
ELIN (04-09-2021), Gen4MDX (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Im in Ontario, Canada and Im seeing a lot of MDXs in dealer lots - I paid for mine last Saturday and had delivery this morning. I went to a few dealers and all had various trims in stock and colors. The only one which seemed a little short was the Aspec - I guess those are the most bang for the back at the moment - I dint know you could put a deposit on a Type S MDX. My brother is waiting for it but the dealer told him there is no ETA so no point putting a deposit till Acura gives them a release date
Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
Yep, definitely keep us posted. I checked TrueCar pricing and it says the 2022 average transaction price is between $10 - $436 above MSRP (depending on the region). Prices will normalize, but $1000 off MSRP is pretty good right now.
unless you are “Colorado Guy AF Ret.” who supposedly always buys at invoice and loves to brag about it, and if YOU don’t get the same deal your the idiot according to him.🤪🤦‍♂️
DJ Iceman (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeAcura
Im in Ontario, Canada and Im seeing a lot of MDXs in dealer lots - I paid for mine last Saturday and had delivery this morning. I went to a few dealers and all had various trims in stock and colors. The only one which seemed a little short was the Aspec - I guess those are the most bang for the back at the moment - I dint know you could put a deposit on a Type S MDX. My brother is waiting for it but the dealer told him there is no ETA so no point putting a deposit till Acura gives them a release date
Are you a true Canadian or a transplanted American as you don't spell Colour properly for a Canadian. LOL. FYI, I have seen mostly Platinum Elite models at my dealer when I was at my dealer.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Gen4MDX
unless you are “Colorado Guy AF Ret.” who supposedly always buys at invoice and loves to brag about it, and if YOU don’t get the same deal your the idiot according to him.🤪🤦‍♂️
Funnily enough, all the cars in my sig were bought UNDER invoice but they were also models that didn't sell well. I'm wondering if I should reset my expectations for the MDX. Although I can wait almost indefinitely, I wonder if "near-invoice" might be more realistic.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
FWIW, My 22 Advance was built last week (as originally projected) and i have a VIN now. Based on my car, looks like production is on track. Just a data point.
The following 3 users liked this post by akram:
ELIN (04-13-2021), Ghostrider10-32 (04-13-2021), Puma Jim (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by akram
FWIW, My 22 Advance was built last week (as originally projected) and i have a VIN now. Based on my car, looks like production is on track. Just a data point.
when did your dealer order it? I put a down payment down in early March
Old 04-13-2021, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
when did your dealer order it? I put a down payment down in early March
It put deposit around March 23rd. (it was already preordered, reserved it for me)
Old 04-14-2021, 03:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Acura does not do build to order. It can take a while for Acura to allocate the exact car you want. The staff can try their best to allocate the car of your desired color combo and trim, and try and get it. Plus, they are giving you a discount off of MSRP. Sounds like they are in the process of getting it, and it sounds like its on schedule, as its still April. I know the excitement of getting a new car, but an extra week or 2 in the long run wont change anything. Try and be patient with a new model You will only enjoy the new car that much more.

As far as the guy saying he put a deposit on a Type - S and is impatiently waiting....uhh....the cars release date is still unknown.... This the chip shortage has nothing to do with, as it wasn't ready to be released anyways. As far as the original post and chip shortage, unknown if it affects the mdx, but its possible.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spoiler900
Acura does not do build to order. It can take a while for Acura to allocate the exact car you want. The staff can try their best to allocate the car of your desired color combo and trim, and try and get it. Plus, they are giving you a discount off of MSRP. Sounds like they are in the process of getting it, and it sounds like its on schedule, as its still April. I know the excitement of getting a new car, but an extra week or 2 in the long run wont change anything. Try and be patient with a new model You will only enjoy the new car that much more.

As far as the guy saying he put a deposit on a Type - S and is impatiently waiting....uhh....the cars release date is still unknown.... This the chip shortage has nothing to do with, as it wasn't ready to be released anyways. As far as the original post and chip shortage, unknown if it affects the mdx, but its possible.
Yeah understand and I have no problem waiting it’s just now dealer cant say when it will arrive. What I find interesting, and suspect it is tied to the chip shortage, is that in early March the dealer had 140 new cars on the lot and now down to 70. I also notice other brands dont have a lot of inventory
Old 04-14-2021, 06:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Drove by my local Acura dealership and they only have around 40 new cars on the lot (usually twice that number). Only 8 MDXs and 3 of them are 2020 models. Montano Acura, NM, has 5 sh-awd 2022 MDXs:
- 3 tech models in blue, white/ebony, and white/parchment
- 1 Aspec blue/red
- 1 Adv in black/black

They do price match; but, they were not part of my Costco or USAA car buying services when I purchased my 19 MDX hybrid Adv in Mar/19. Montano Acura matched my USAA car buying price of $4400 off MSRP from a CO Acura dealership and let me used the Costco 15% off accessories discount.

Has anyone seen any significant discounts with the 2022 MDXs using car buying services from banks or Costco/Sams?

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-14-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostrider10-32
On March 26th I asked my salesman (I have a deposit on, and am impatiently waiting for, the first Type S the dealership gets) (birthday gift for my fiance) if the chip shortage had led to any production delays with the MDX and he said they had NOT.

He seemed pretty confident in that statement. Expanded on it to explain why specifically it had not (though I forget his exact response) Perhaps he was uninformed. Perhaps things have changed since that date.

Other possibilities:
-your dealer doesn't have a lot of allocation and they are trying to give you an excuse to avoid you looking elsewhere assuming every dealer will be in the same position.
-your dealer has your deposit and feels you are a captive audience and needed a timely delivery to "make or break" another sale and bumped you in their queue.

The dealer I've been working with has tons of MDX's coming through. (and they are selling fast) They took delivery right on schedule in early Feb as projected for delivery to dealer dates...

I'll certainly pass any other info I hear along.
I put a deposit on the MDX-S this week. Has your dealer said anything lately on timing? I'm hearing Fall from my dealer.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGR
I put a deposit on the MDX-S this week. Has your dealer said anything lately on timing? I'm hearing Fall from my dealer.
Fall sounds right. It could come out late September just like the TLX did last year.

I think the radio silence on MDX Type S is to stop stealing any thunder from the TLX Type S due next month.
Gen4MDX (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 11:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
Last I heard on this forum was late July/August. (from someone who seemed to have a documented source from Acura they cut and pasted from)

Last I heard from my dealer, they always seem to be more optimistic than elsewhere. He said "the TLX type S is coming in late May so I think the MDX will be soon after". But I had my deposit down in early January so I'm at the front of the line at my dealership. Your dealer may be getting Type S's in sooner but may have others ahead of you in line. I'm not expecting to see it before late July. But its not for me, I bought it for my fiance, so I'm not quite as eager since its not my vehicle.