Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Cars.com

https://www.cars.com/articles/2022-a...e-dont-433238/

2022 Acura MDX: 5 Things We Like and 3 Things We Don’t

By Nick Kurczewski
March 12, 2021

2022 Acura MDX
Cars.com photo by Jennifer Geiger

The 2022 Acura MDX is a fresh take on a luxurious 3-row SUV that squares off against strong rivals such as the Lincoln Aviator, Lexus RX, Genesis GV80 and Infiniti QX60. Where the new and improved MDX shines is in value. Even with a starting price of more than $47,000, the 2022 MDX comes standard with loads of safety features and updated tech touches, including wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Related: 2022 Acura MDX Review: Tech Pains Curb Family, Luxury Gains

2022 Acura MDX Specs & ReviewsFind a 2022 Acura MDX Near You
Inside, Acura’s engineering team focused on creating a more functional and flexible place to spend your time. The center seat in the 2nd row can be used either like a bench seat, which accommodates three car seats across, or removed so the outboard seats become captain’s chairs. There has also been a substantial upgrade to the MDX’s infotainment system, though this also proved controversial during our test.

You can click the related link above to read our complete review of the 2022 Acura MDX. Or for a quick recap of this mid-size luxury SUV’s best attributes — plus some items that need a rethink — keep reading below.

Things We Like
1. Smooth V-6, Improved Transmission
2022 Acura MDX

Under the hood is a 3.5-liter V-6 that sends 290 horsepower to the front wheels courtesy of a 10-speed automatic transmission; all-wheel drive is optional. This is a smooth and refined powertrain, and the gearbox in particular is a solid step forward from the previous 9-speed automatic. There is no hunting for gears or hesitation in acceleration when powering through city or highway traffic.

2. More Standard and Optional Safety FeaturesThe previous Acura MDX already came standard with an impressive amount of active safety equipment, such as automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. Newly standard safety items include a driver attention monitor, pedestrian detection, traffic sign recognition and Acura’s Traffic Jam Assist. This system controls braking and acceleration at slow speed and works to a complete stop, all while maintaining a safe distance behind the vehicle ahead. The aim is to reduce driver fatigue during traffic slowdowns.

3. Seating Flexibility
2022 Acura MDX

The MDX still offers 3 rows of seating and space for up to 7 people onboard. Yet, for the 2022 model year, the 2nd row packs some surprises. The middle seat can be removed to create a nearly 14-inch wide walkway to the 3rd row. This creates more stretch-out space for second-row occupants, and makes it easier to access the 3rd row. Along these same lines, with the push of a button the 2nd-row seats collapse and slide forward to aid anyone climbing into the rear-most seats.

4. Creative Cargo Space
2022 Acura MDX

Like the improved seating capabilities, Acura also turned its attention to the MDX’s cargo area. Not only is there more total space behind the 3rd and 2nd row than what rivals offer, the MDX has a few extra cards up its sleeve. There is a roomy underfloor storage compartment as well as a reversible cargo floor with an easy-clean plastic side. Need to haul muddy hiking gear or a particularly dusty antique? Flip the cargo floor and don’t worry about dirtying the trunk’s carpet.

5. Improved Infotainment — to a PointThe good news is that the 2022 Acura MDX has a more intuitive and user-friendly infotainment system than the dual-screen setup used in its predecessor. Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are now standard, and we found the Amazon Alexa voice controls very handy. The system now comes with a large 12.3-inch screen mounted on the dashboard. While the display is large and clear, things get murky when it’s time to scroll through various menus and controls. More on this in just a moment …

Things We Don’t
1. Fussy Infotainment Controls
2022 Acura MDX

While the MDX’s infotainment system is better than before, it still lacks an actual touchscreen. That’s right, the primary means of controlling the system is via a center console touchpad. It takes lots of patience, practice and some luck to get right (especially when you’re driving). The major pieces are all there; Acura is simply short a touchscreen to make everything perform seamlessly.

2. 3rd Row Remains Best Left for KidsGetting to the 3rd row is easier for 2022, though the space back there is still best left for kids. Anyone feeling greedy about legroom while perched in the 2nd row will be a serious problem if the MDX is at full capacity. With a 2nd-row seat slid all the way back, there’s not much 3rd-row legroom directly behind it.

3. MPG Is Only OK
2022 Acura MDX

The Acura MDX isn’t much better or worse than its mid-size luxury SUV rivals when it comes to mpgs. It’s also not any better than the previous version. In fact, the 2022 Acura MDX is slightly less fuel efficient than the model before it. The difference is small, though it would have been nice to see the new MDX’s overall fuel economy needle move upward, not down.

More From Cars.com:Related Video: 2021 Acura TLX 1st Drive

[MUSIC PLAYING]

Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Drivers only
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink EveryManDriver

Old 03-17-2021, 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Car coach Reports

TSX69 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 04:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The Fast Lane Car : GV80 vs MDX

The following 2 users liked this post by ChodTheWacko:
moose66 (03-19-2021), TSX69 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 08:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
The 2022 Acura MDX: Convenience at its Finest | CAR MOM TOUR

TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Family Wheels

Pretty much the same general opinions as everyone.
Only new thing was he's the first one I saw to complain about the sound the car makes when you get in the car (before you start the car).
As a dad of a young child, I was wondering if there was a way to turn that off. Maybe in customizations->system-->system volumnes->System sounds?

TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 03:55 PM
AZ Community Team

There's a new 2022 MDX in dark metallic gray (Liquid Carbon Metallic?) that showed up at work in the last week, don't know who it belongs to. Overall it looks good in that color and the overall styling but also kinda blends in with the looks of the other luxury SUV's as well. Interior looks very nice, nice upgrade from the 3G MDX.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
They must be selling well. I had my MDX in for service and there were 4 new MDX's awaiting delivery to the customer.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Roads Untraveled
TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 06:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
They must be selling well. I had my MDX in for service and there were 4 new MDX's awaiting delivery to the customer.

i think the new MDX nailed it. Just like when the RDX was released in 2018.

Acura needs the RDX refresh to keep the sales numbers high and the TLX type S
Old 03-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
i think the new MDX nailed it. Just like when the RDX was released in 2018.

Acura needs the RDX refresh to keep the sales numbers high and the TLX type S
I agree, they are selling them before they even arrive, at least has been happening at my dealership, particularly Advance models! Kind of funny to read all the posts here and on FB from all the haters though? Inventory still has not yet met demand. Great job Acura for giving us the best MDX to date!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gen4MDX:
birdonamission (03-30-2021), Tony Pac (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 08:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Gen4MDX
I agree, they are selling them before they even arrive, at least has been happening at my dealership, particularly Advance models! Kind of funny to read all the posts here and on FB from all the haters though? Inventory still has not yet met demand. Great job Acura for giving us the best MDX to date!
The MDX is just one of those vehicles that meets almost everyone's need. It's spacious, handles well and now Acura pushed some really good tech and premium materials as well. In my opinion, the whole package puts MDX at the top of the list. Now if someone ones really the next level luxury and handling, they can opt in for X5 or GLE but then the cost is $15-$20K min above the MDX.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
The MDX is just one of those vehicles that meets almost everyone's need. It's spacious, handles well and now Acura pushed some really good tech and premium materials as well. In my opinion, the whole package puts MDX at the top of the list. Now if someone ones really the next level luxury and handling, they can opt in for X5 or GLE but then the cost is $15-$20K min above the MDX.
Agreed. The MDX checks a lot of boxes for a good majority of buyers in this segment.

The success of the MDX Type S down the road will be heavily dependent on how much of a game changer the TLX Type S is. I'm guessing they will at least be half a year apart from each other in their debuts.
Tony Pac (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ELIN
Agreed. The MDX checks a lot of boxes for a good majority of buyers in this segment.

The success of the MDX Type S down the road will be heavily dependent on how much of a game changer the TLX Type S is. I'm guessing they will at least be half a year apart from each other in their debuts.
Type S will be more popular for TLX than MDX in my opinion. As per my understanding the MDX Type S should be out by fall. 2-3 months apart. Acura estimated the sales number for 2021-2022 accurately when it comes to RDX and MDX. But I think they will fall short when it comes to TLX and ILX. Unless, the Type S is a huge success and many people start opting in for it. We will see. Only time will tell us. We cannot ignore the fact that sedan market sux!
ELIN (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I have my 3rd Gen MDX in for Service and was given a New MDX with SH-AWD/Tech Package. All I have to say is..WOW! The interior is so damn nice. Driving around town it's a lot quieter and more comfortable than my 3rd Gen. The IDS features are a welcome addition to this vehicle. The good thing is that if you owned the last gen MDX everything will be familiar. The the rear middle seat coming out is a welcome addition, I had an Odyssey before and missed this feature. There is clearly a lot more room in the 3rd row and more cargo space in the rear hatch with the third row up. The only gripes I have are 1) Having to change modes every time you get into the car, although if you set up Individual mode it's just a push of a button and 2) I'm not sure if I like the 10-Speed or not, maybe it's just me being used to the old 6 speed. Having Owned 2nd and 3rd gen MDX's I can say this New Gen is the best in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MDXAccord
Having Owned 2nd and 3rd gen MDX's I can say this New Gen is the best in my opinion.
Most of us would agree, but there are some people/haters who Acura can ever please regardless of what they, those folks should just move on!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Most of us would agree, but there are some people/haters who Acura can ever please regardless of what they, those folks should just move on!
I'm curious, who are these people you speak of? Sounds like this is a boogeyman people have propped up; seems like most people here agree the 4th gen MDX is the best so far.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I'm curious, who are these people you speak of? Sounds like this is a boogeyman people have propped up; seems like most people here agree the 4th gen MDX is the best so far.
Obvious you must have missed all the complainers who aren’t happy Acura didn’t increase hp and torque for the 3.5, or didn’t replace it with a 4cyl turbo, or the A-spec guys bitching beacause the can’t get a heated steering wheel, or remote start in the key fob or a heads up display, or why the Advance doesn’t have the electro mag shocks or how shitty the mpg’s are going to be because it is heavier or how it won’t be as quick as the 3rd Gen or how they can’t get x exterior color with y interior color or probably the biggest jab that it looks like a cx9. Yup you missed all of those posts somehow🤦‍♂️

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 03-29-2021 at 05:24 PM.
DC Wuff (04-19-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Obvious you must have missed all the complainers who aren’t happy Acura didn’t increase hp and torque for the 3.5, or didn’t replace it with a 4cyl turbo, or the A-spec guys bitching beacause the can’t get a heated steering wheel, or remote start in the key fob or a heads up display, or why the Advance doesn’t have the electro mag shocks or how shitty the mpg’s are going to be because it is heavier or how it won’t be as quick as the 3rd Gen or how they can’t get x exterior color with y interior color or probably the biggest jab that it looks like a cx9. Yup you missed all of those posts somehow🤦‍♂️
People can still complain about small things but that doesn't make them a hater. If you think that's what a hater is then that's your prerogative, but it's that type of "everyone is against us" mentality that makes fanboys appear delusional.

As for the 4cyl turbo complaints...I'm pretty sure the vast majority here are happy they're sticking with the V6 than using the 2.0T.

And people complaining that it looks like a CX9...well it really does look Mazda-like, but I'm not really sure why that's a jab? The CX5 and CX9 look really good, so I'm not sure why you're interpreting that as a criticism.

Last edited by fiatlux; 03-29-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
First time MDX owner and I couldn't be happier. I liked my RDXs but started really considering an MDX after our last couple of vacations and realizing that when we go on our trips, we really do fill up the RDX cargo area pretty good (to the gills, in fact). And, it was good timing for the 2022s to roll out now because, although the outgoing 2020 model would've fit the bill (with huge discounts), the new MDX is even nicer with all the new design elements and upgrades.

Ample cargo capacity aside, this thing is very fun to drive and there are so many cool features that I appreciate more and more each time I get behind the wheel. I guess my favorite things so far in my Advance have been the wireless charging pad, wireless CarPlay, head up display, handsfree power liftgate access with walk away close, brake hold, auto high beams, ambient accent lighting, power folding side mirrors (missing on the RDX Advance), the 360° surround view high resolution cameras, digital instrument panel, SH-AWD, ELS 3D sound system...

People go on about the true touchpad interface, but I think it's fine. Then again, it was in my 2019 RDX, so I'm used to it -- not like some YouTube reviewers who, after borrowing the car for 4 hours for their video, and spending 15 minutes fumbling over it, make the obligatory complaint about about how hard it is to use.
The following 2 users liked this post by birdonamission:
Gen4MDX (03-30-2021), papachan (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

AUTOJOUBERT

French, but you can do 'auto generate subtitles and auto-translate to english'

A few things that I hadn't heard before:
1) Acura expects only 5% of their sales to be of the base model, and more than 50% to be A-spec
2) The voice recognition hates a french-quebec accent
3) A good observation: the pop up USB ports takes a lot more console space than just having two "normal" USB ports that always show..
4) He likes the wireless pad but wishes that it was there could be storage under it. (which I've seen done on some cars)

Overall highly recommended the car though
The following 2 users liked this post by ChodTheWacko:
ELIN (03-31-2021), TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

SQ Y
Canadian A-spec.

Chinese. No subtitles to translate.

However, a couple interesting things:
The person had a 2009 MDX and thought it was meh.
Seems to like the 2022 quite a bit.

at 7:20 mark, shows you the fuel filler hole (capless).
Very interestingly, at the 7:44 mark you see it is clearly labeled: 91 recommend, 87 minimum.
The owner's manual says 91 octane or higher only!

15:00 shows how the headrest can move forward, something I rarely see in reviews

Has two baby carseats in the second row. middle and side, but notes that in this config you can't
access the third row. He's done it this way because one child is really small and he needs to be
able to see him/her. He notes that once the child is bigger, he can remove the middle
and then a third person could squirm into the back seat through the middle. (since the seat can't move
forward due to the car seat). Pretty interesting point.
TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko
1) Acura expects only 5% of their sales to be of the base model, and more than 50% to be A-spec
Which leads me to suspect the 2020 base models that were forced down dealers' throats towards end of last year (mostly sold beginning of this year) was completely artificial and done only to spike MDX sales. The uniformed customer will think it is '22 sales success when it was really '20 sales.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Sadly, I picked up my 15 MDX and returned the 2022. I am ready to purchase but will wait on the Type-S, but I am set on SH-AWD with Tech.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MDXAccord
I am ready to purchase but will wait on the Type-S, but I am set on SH-AWD with Tech.
Those are 2 very different trims. The Type S will cost more than the Advance.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Matt the Carguy

Big thumbs up, and said they shopped and passed on the prior MDX because they wanted the second row passthrough.

Two particular things of note:
29:35 - FIrst view i've seen of the wind screen that pops up when you open the sunroof.
33:00 turn radius test: hint - a bit over 4 parking spots

only real complaint was the infotainment, but did note that the touchscreen was too far to use comfortably.
TSX69 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Those are 2 very different trims. The Type S will cost more than the Advance.
Yup, Type-S will be the trim above Advance. I'm guessing maybe $5k more.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 AM
AZ Community Team

+1 Definitely some haters on AZ, just like many (most?) Internet forums. Thinking otherwise is just delusional.
They're a few in the TLX 2G forum or other latest gen Acura forums, they fade away over time. FWIW, putting them on ignore is effective.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by schen72
Yup, Type-S will be the trim above Advance. I'm guessing maybe $5k more.
That sounds about right. Unlike the TLX Type S, I think the MDX Type S will actually start from the Advance trim and build up.

Which means the MDX Type S will keep the:

- hands free liftgate
- HUD
- 360 camera
- heated steering wheel

The only reason they won't do it is if they want to make a PMC version that has all that.

Last edited by ELIN; 04-01-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:41 AM
AZ Community Team

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...y-sales-record
Old 04-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Drifting

"With final reporting one day away, March sales of MDX are projected to well surpass 7,500 units, a new all-time monthly SUV sales record, besting the previous high mark of 6,761 for MDX (December 2014) and 7,292 for RDX (June 2018). The hot-selling MDX also leads the three-row midsize luxury SUV segment for the month."

It's like I said before: those 2020 base MDX models shoved down dealers' throats sole purpose was to spike overall MDX sales numbers. It would have been better if it said "March sales of '22 MDX" but we know there were too few of them to make up 7500 units!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:53 AM
AZ Community Team

"With final reporting one day away, March sales of MDX are projected to well surpass 7,500 units, a new all-time monthly SUV sales record, besting the previous high mark of 6,761 for MDX (December 2014) and 7,292 for RDX (June 2018). The hot-selling MDX also leads the three-row midsize luxury SUV segment for the month."

It's like I said before: those 2020 base MDX models shoved down dealers' throats sole purpose was to spike overall MDX sales numbers. It would have been better if it said "March sales of '22 MDX" but we know there were too few of them to make up 7500 units!
I agree with you but I was at the dealer on Tuesday. The rep showed me his report delivering 3 MDX in a single week (all 22Models, just him). He said, the 22 MDX is selling very well. He had only 2 2020 MDX in inventory. I was surprised. This is Canadian market, so I know if one rep is delivering 3 MDX in a single week is nothing but great. Also, this is not Toronto market, which is much bigger.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Drifting

I agree with you but I was at the dealer on Tuesday. The rep showed me his report delivering 3 MDX in a single week (all 22Models, just him). He said, the 22 MDX is selling very well. He had only 2 2020 MDX in inventory. I was surprised. This is Canadian market, so I know if one rep is delivering 3 MDX in a single week is nothing but great. Also, this is not Toronto market, which is much bigger.
The weird thing is if the base models really only make up 5% of total MDX's made, they must have been sitting somewhere all this time for the end of year sales? Or do you think the base models were produced "on purpose" at the expense of more higher trims just to move product and show great sales numbers?
Old 04-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

The weird thing is if the base models really only make up 5% of total MDX's made, they must have been sitting somewhere all this time for the end of year sales? Or do you think the base models were produced "on purpose" at the expense of more higher trims just to move product and show great sales numbers?

At the start of the month, my local dealership had over 100 2020 MDXs (with over 80 of them being the base models). They're now down to 37 of them (with 20 of them being base models). Who knows why Acura decided to send all these base 2020s, but whatever the reason, it seems like it paid off for them because they were able to sell them in pretty big numbers.

Which also means their March MDX sales figures are definitely hugely inflated by these 2020 cars. I wish they'd be like Volvo where they differentiate between model generations when it comes to the sales reports so we don't need to guess or speculate.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Don't forget that there are also other external factors in the market at play. I think a fairer comparison would be to also look at the sales increase seen by the competition to see whether selling 7500 MDX's is a good sign. For instance, if that represents a 30% increase MoM, in a vacuum that looks pretty good, but if everyone else is seeing a 50% increase, then that's not so good.

Toyota released their sales figures online, and they somehow managed to move almost 13K of their 6-year-old RX's, and over 6K of their 7-year-old NX's. Unfortunately they don't provide February numbers, but it definitely seems like a lot of pent-up demand is finally making its way to the sales sheets.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Don't forget that there are also other external factors in the market at play. I think a fairer comparison would be to also look at the sales increase seen by the competition to see whether selling 7500 MDX's is a good sign. For instance, if that represents a 30% increase MoM, in a vacuum that looks pretty good, but if everyone else is seeing a 50% increase, then that's not so good.

Toyota released their sales figures online, and they somehow managed to move almost 13K of their 6-year-old RX's, and over 6K of their 7-year-old NX's. Unfortunately they don't provide February numbers, but it definitely seems like a lot of pent-up demand is finally making its way to the sales sheets.
Edit: Looks like GCBC does have the monthly breakdown for Toyota/Lexus. They sold 7905 RX's in Feb and 12950 in Mar, which would be a 64% increase. For the MDX to hold serve (it sold 5379 last month), it would need to sell 8800 in Mar. If that's the case, then 7500 is actually underperforming the market.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:50 PM
AZ Community Team

A Week With: 2022 Acura MDX

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/202...022-acura-mdx/

A Week With: 2022 Acura MDX

Acura "kicks out the ladder" with an extensive redesign of its flagship SUV.

by Paul A. Eisenstein | Jan 28, 2021

The 2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance breaks away from the previous generation model.

In today’s crowded and highly competitive luxury market, Acura has long struggled to gain traction. It certainly didn’t help when the brand abandoned familiar and well-regarded model names like Legend for anonymous alternatives such as RLX, ILX and TLX. Yet one model rose out of that alphabet soup, the big MDX sport-utility vehicle year after year coming in as one of the U.S. market’s best-selling three-row models.

There’s good reason why, the MDX offering a consistently solid mix of styling, features, roominess and performance. All told, Acura has sold more than 1 million of the crossovers since its introduction two decades ago, and it has high hopes for the latest makeover coming to showrooms as an early 2022 model-year entry. To get a chance to see how well it holds up, I not only spent a week in the new MDX but also got back into the outgoing model and several key competitors for comparison.

Overview: There are plenty of risks when redesigning a brand’s flagship and icon, especially when the goal was “to take MDX to a higher level,” as Tom Nguyen, Acura’s global development leader explained during a recent conversation. His team decided to “kick out the ladder,” rather than play it safe with a bland, evolutionary update.

(2022 Acura MDX set to make its debut.)
The fourth-generation Acura MDX is a significant update from the model it replaces.

Designed, engineered and largely targeting the U.S. – where it also will be assembled – the fourth-generation makeover is substantial, picking up on the brand’s new mantra, “Precision Crafted Performance,” highlighted by the debut of last year’s new TLX sedan. The goal was to not only update the design language of the 2022 Acura MDX but also to inject higher levels of craftsmanship, performance and technology.

For the most part, the automaker has succeeded. The visual update translates into a standout design, both inside and out, while the cabin gains a more upscale and refined feel. It’s also roomier, with a third row that is far less of a penalty box than with the outgoing model. Add new features, beefed up performance and a ride that is both comfortable and yet also solidly planted and Acura has delivered the sort of update MDX fans have hoped for.

Exterior: Honda’s upscale brand offered a strong hint of what was coming when it rolled out the Acura MDX Prototype last October, the production version of the MDX that followed two months later diverging only slightly. Both share the same design language brought to market with the latest-generation TLX sedan – here tweaked for a big SUV.
“… The goal was to not only update the design language of the 2022 Acura MDX but also to inject higher levels of craftsmanship, performance and technology …”
And big is the right word, the 2022 MDX stretched 2.2 inches, to an overall length of 198.4 inches. Width grows to 78.7 inches, about an inch more than the outgoing model. Height rises to 67.1 Inches, a 0.6-inch increase. And, what might be most noticeable to a casual eye is the fact that the dash-to-axle ratio extends another 6 inches emphasizing the
The interior of the new MDX also got a makeover with high quality materials and top-flight technology.

hood line and giving the new SUV a more “cab rearward” feel.

Like the concept model, the production MDX avoids the slab-like face that’s become the norm for oh, so many recent SUVs. The front end has a more three-dimensional appearance, with a larger version of the familiar Acura “Diamond Pentagon Grille.” It’s framed within four-element LED “Jewel Eye” headlamps and “Chicane” running lamps.

The overall look, according to the design team, was motivated by “the wind-shaped rocks in Arizona’s Antelope Canyon.” That translates in more pronounced shoulder lines and more sculpting to the door panels and back end.

(First Look: 2022 Acura MDX.)

Interior: There’s a less aggressive rake to the roofline of the fourth-generation MDX than with some competitors, which is good news for those taking a seat in the third row. It benefits greatly from the overall increase in the new model’s dimensions. Cargo space, meanwhile, increases by 1.5 cubic feet, behind the third row, to 16.3 cf, jumping 3 cf to 71.4 cf with the second and third rows folded down. Those numbers don’t even take into account the new under-floor storage bin in the cargo compartment.
The cockpit of the MDX Advance gets two 12.3-inch displays for the gauges and infotainment controls.

Like the TLX Acura, the new MDX opts for a more sporty cabin design while also enhancing the high-line details befitting of its flagship role. The instrument panel adopts a horizontal layout which, like the rest of the cabin, blends materials such as Milano leather, brushed aluminum and open-pore wood.

But the anchor of the Precision Crafted Cockpit is that 12.3-inch customizable gauge cluster which can be switched between two distinctly different appearances. A second, wide-screen 12.3-inch display handles infotainment duties, while there’s also an optional, 10.5-inch head-up display.

On a less high-tech front, the front seats feature 12-way power settings and the MDX A-Spec model adds ventilated front seats and even optional power-adjusting side and thigh controls. The second row features a multi-function removable seat which, among other things, can ease entry to the third row. All three rows are more spacious than the outgoing model, according to Acura.

One only has to climb back into the outgoing MDX to realize just how much the overall look and feel of the MDX has improved. While tech-oriented buyers are likely to really appreciate the 2022 model – all the more so with the optional ELS Studio sound system – yet the electronics don’t overwhelm the overall sense of luxury and refinement.
The new MDX is powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 engine putting out 290 horsepower.

Powertrain: Offered in both front- and all-wheel drive, the MDX will launch with a 3.5-liter V-6 carried over from the third-generation SUV. It pushes 290 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque through a new 10-speed automatic.

The engine has received a number of updates for 2022, such as new, multi-hole fuel injectors. The result is a quieter, cleaner and more fuel efficient powertrain delivering 19 miles per gallon city, 26 highway and 22 combined with the FWD 2022 MDX, while the AWD version is EPA-rated at 19/25/21. Meanwhile, the 2022 model now can tow up to 5,000 pounds.

There are plenty of competent all-wheel-drive systems on the market today, but Acura’s Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive, or SH-AWD, system has long been one of my favorites. The fundamental concept of an AWD system is to move torque back and forth between the axles, depending upon road conditions. The SH-AWD update on the new MDX can move up to 70% of that power to the back wheels – and then direct as much as 100% of that torque to either left or right wheels. That’s where it really does enhance handling through what is known as torque vectoring.

For those who’d like to put more emphasis on the “sport” in SUV. Hang tight. The real performance package, the MDX Type S, will follow next summer and use a 3.0-liter turbocharged V-6 that promised to push past the 300 hp mark.
The 2022 MDX offers plenty of room and 12-way power from seats.

Technology and Safety: Like the rest of the industry, Acura has added plenty of new, high-tech features in recent years, and the 2022 MDX goes a step beyond what we already saw with the latest-generation MDX. For one thing, the SUV is the luxury brand’s first model to fully integrate the Amazon Alexa voice assistant. It also gets a standard WiFi hotspot – which, behind the scenes, allows Acura to send smartphone-style over-the-air updates to the vehicle.

There are plenty of USB port and a quick, 15-watt wireless charging pad.

The most immediately apparent update, however, comes with the onboard infotainment system. It now uses a 12.3-inch video display that can be operated by voice, touch controls on the steering wheel or the touchpad on the center console replacing the control knob on the outgoing MDX. It’s a controversial move as even members of the Acura team acknowledge it can be difficult to learn to use. They contend it is much more effective when you get familiar with it. After a week I was still getting comfortable but agree it does have some advantages.

The infotainment system itself now has a faster processor, adds wireless versions of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, integrates a high-definition rearview camera and an interior PA system making it easy to chat with folks in the third row. My personal, favorite feature of the 2022 Acura MDX, however, is the audio package – in particular, the optional, high-end ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio system. With its 16 speakers and 710 watts, it makes you feel like you’re right on stage. I frequently found myself sitting in the SUV after reaching my destination, eyes closed, listening to music.

As a family hauler, the MDX needs to offer plenty of safety features and it certainly comes through with a suite of smart safety systems that, for 2022 add low-speed braking control, traffic sign recognition, Traffic Jam assist and a sonar based system designed to minimize the chance a driver inadvertently hits the throttle instead of the brake at low speeds. There’s also a completely new airbag system meant to reduce head injuries in a crash.

Drive Impressions: The overall driving experience lived up to what Acura promised – something that became all the more apparent when I not only switched into competitive models but the outgoing version of the MDX. Taking both out on a favorite driving route through the appropriately named Hell, Michigan highlighted the way the new SUV’s updated double-wishbone front suspension and more rigid platform and body keep it firmly planted while minimizing road harshness.

Even in “Sport” mode, the 2022 MDX seemed more comfortable than the old model set to “Comfort,” with less jouncing, body roll and head toss. It also handled the route’s sharp corners and rough, often oft-camber road surfaces with aplomb. It was easy to take turns faster without any extra effort. Credit also goes to the updated electric power steering system which features more precise driver feedback and a quicker steering ratio.

(Acura reveals the MDX Prototype.)

Wrap-Up: Acura was the first Japanese luxury brand and, in its early years, set a real benchmark with models like the Legend sedan and coupe. The MDX was one of the early luxury SUVs when it debuted for the 2002 model-year and reminded us of the technical expertise Acura brought to market.

Despite the brand’s unfortunate use of forgettable model names, plenty of buyers have found their way to the MDX, and for good reason, it remaining one of the luxury market’s best three-row options, generation after generation. Now, after undergoing another complete makeover, the 2022 Acura MDX will remain one of the best options buyers have. The fourth-generation SUV is attractive, inside and out, well-appointed and, despite some grumbles about its touchpad, among the most technically sophisticated options available.

It’s also more affordable than many buyers might expect, at a base $46,900 – before delivery fees – the 2022 MDX coming in only slightly above the price of the average new vehicle on the market right now. For $60,650 for a well-equipped MDX Advance with the SH-AWD system, you get a lot for your money.

I’m betting that the 2022 Acura MDX will be the most popular version of the crossover since its introduction two decades ago.

Tagged with: 2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance | 2022 Acura MDX review | acura news | test driving new Acura MDX |
Old 04-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Edit: Looks like GCBC does have the monthly breakdown for Toyota/Lexus. They sold 7905 RX's in Feb and 12950 in Mar, which would be a 64% increase. For the MDX to hold serve (it sold 5379 last month), it would need to sell 8800 in Mar. If that's the case, then 7500 is actually underperforming the market.
Wow practically right on the dot: Acura moved 8782 MDX's last month. I hope the majority of this was the 2020 models, because there's no way the 2022 should result in the same lift that the unchanged RX saw considerably it's substantially better than the 2020.

Last edited by fiatlux; 04-01-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Acura MDX Reviews