1st impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
1st impressions

I picked up my 2022 MDX SH-AWD Advance in white yesterday. I'll see if I can post a couple pictures.

There's very little not to like with this car. I'm surprised it gets so little PR when I see review of mid-sized luxury or 3 row SUV's. The car is quiet and accelerates smoothly without a lot of obvious shifting. It's a heavy car at 4565 lbs, about 300 lbs more than the Highlander, Kia or Pallisade, but lighter than the X5. I like a little more weight and it feels very smooth on the road.

I've never had adaptive cruise before and it's very nice, definitely lessens the workload. Also, the lane keeping feature is sweet, almost on the level of self-driving, at least in a straight line. It's not perfect (like the Tesla) but better than anything else I've driven. For example, the Kia and Telluride I drove are much worse and they tend to wander from side to side way too much. Even so, the lane keeping is much worse when taking tight corners and you really have to be on alert, especially on bridges or when going by an exit when the right side lanes get worn or just aren't there. It will take some practice to be able to 'feel' what it will do under all situations so I relax more. I found that I can put the lane-keeping icon on the heads-up and be able to better see the lane markers when the cameras lose track.

The interior workmanship I believe is on par with most of the German stuff, the seats seem very comfortable and functional. We like the middle seat in the 2nd row folding back to make a bench seat where my wife can sleep on a long trip. That's very cool.

There's a lot said about the touchpad but I pretty much have it dialed in after one day. I actually like not having to reach over to touch the screen. I got Android Auto hooked up wirelessly, though for some reason the car did not immediately pair with my phone this morning when I restarted. Also the google map screen went dark during the day and then lightened up when we went under a dark cloud; that's probably my phone settings. The amount of electronic settings is mind-boggling and will take some time to learn cold.

All in all, this is a step up from my '14 Explorer Limited. The 10 speed transmission is a huge improvement and is maybe not as good as the ZF for smooth, unnoticeable shifts but it's close. I'm glad that I didn't let my wife talk me into a Telluride as the interior is not as nice and it felt cheaper in terms of ride and shifting. The Telluride does have a lot of accolades and if the Kia dealers sold it at MSRP (top trim about $52K) it's be hard to resist but my local dealer wanted $67K, a $15K markup.!!!!! The highlander in top trim is also about $52 but the MDX is the better car in either case. The BMW X5 is just too expensive, probably $80K when you add AWD, head's up, lane keeping, heated/cooled seats etc etc. Nice driving car and the straight six is a great engine but you really pay for it.

There is nothing I don't like about the car and much I do like. I'm looking forward to our next trip up the East Coast;

<for some reason I can't figure out how to past pictures. Manage Attachments starts to upload but then stops...>
The following 5 users liked this post by vichardy:
bugsnest (07-18-2021), Ghostrider10-32 (07-14-2021), mrgold35 (07-13-2021), papachan (07-13-2021), Pens Fan (07-14-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Forgot to mention gas mileage. My '14 Explorer that I traded in is almost exactly the same weight with a similar size V6 engine and got typically 17 to 18 around town and maxed out at 24 on the freeway. The Acura is very close as I got 23 to 24 according to the trip computer at at 60 mile drive at about 70 to 75. I'll monitor it over the next few fill-ups and report back.

I read a quite lengthy thread on octane recommendations and it seems there are opinions both ways. My dealer said that regular is fine (and he was a mechanic before he went into sales), specifically anything at 87 or higher is OK. It does conflict with Acura recommending hi-test though. I guess mileage should be a bit higher with 91 or 93 octane but I'll probably run regular, as I did with my Explorer.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove the BMW X5 and cargo space cannot compare with the MDX too. The one I drove did not have a 3rd row either so I feel you get a whole lot more car with the MDX. But the X5 was pretty luxurious. How much was your Advance? I don't believe I saw that... just what the Telluride would have cost and the BMW.

I never got a chance to test drive the Telluride or the Palisades as dealers in my area were all sold out. But from your review, and after test driving the 2022 MDX Tech, it doesn't sound like I missed out on much. Not that I am ready to go buy the MDX but I fell in love with the 2022s so am here to read reviews like yours from folks who get to buy them.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Advanced

The Advanced version of the MDX is $62,175 as I recall. Since the dealers all want used cars now, the offer for the trade-in was OK; I got $750 for being a vet and the interesting thing is they have a competitive program where they give another $750 if we have a BMW, even if you don't trade it in. The first dealer I talked with didn't mention that but the second one did.

I went out last night and put 50 miles on it just to drive a bit more. I found that when the lights are 'not' in hi-beam mode the car automatically selects high beams when there is not an oncoming car or even when there is a car in front of you going the same way. It takes me back to my mother's '56 Cadillac that had a big alien looking 'eye' on the dash that did the same thing, ha.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by vichardy
I went out last night and put 50 miles on it just to drive a bit more. I found that when the lights are 'not' in hi-beam mode the car automatically selects high beams when there is not an oncoming car or even when there is a car in front of you going the same way. It takes me back to my mother's '56 Cadillac that had a big alien looking 'eye' on the dash that did the same thing, ha.
In comparison to my wife's 2018 CR-V, the 2022 MDX's auto high-beam seems to be more sensitive.
It came on right after dusk while I was driving down a winding road with an oncoming car one bend away.
Debating on whether to turn off auto high-beam.