Yokohama Avid V4s tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 03:51 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama Avid V4s tires

Does anyone has experience on Yoko's Avid V4s tires?
Old 12-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check here for product reviews that are posted by consumers.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

After a week or so of driving on the 215/50/17 90W Continental ContiExtreme Contacts, I've decided these tires suck. They vibrate on the highway (even after road force varience balancing them twice.) They balance fine, and no real road force varience to speak of (7,7,5,16.) Anything under 20lbs is considered good. The tires refuse to ride nice at freeway speed. I don't care what the TireRack reviews look like, they suck plain and simple IMHO.

Conti specs / Survey results http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I ordered a set of 215/50/17 91V Falken Ziex ZE-512's yesterday. Consumer Reports lists them at #1 in high performance all seasons. But after some thought last night, I realized the load rating is too low for my application (should be 93V, or 91W.)

So, I'm going to call Discount Tire first thing in the morning tomorrow, and order some Yokohama AVID V4S's in 215/50/17 93V. Hope they ride / drive as nice as I want them (and need them) to. Discount has them listed @ $122 each, TireRack @ $103.00 each in this size. Both show in stock. Either Discount will price match TireRack, or I'll just exchange the Conti's for these from TireRack. I'll post a review as soon as I get them mounted and a week or so worth of driving.

Jim
Old 12-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Well, I just got them (V4S's) mounted up tonight after work. It was pouring down rain, but did a small 35 mile test run just the same. Tires have no vibration at all. Thank GOD!

I had it up to 80mph, smooth as glass. Obviously it's a tad too early to give these tires a fair assesment, but my initial impression is good. Braking was nice and solid, wet weather driving (read - hydroplane resistance) was very good.

More info in the next few days....

Jim

PS - Just to let eveyone know, these tires are XL (extra load) rated, just like the OE Michelin's the TL-S, and CL-S have from the factory. Another plus in my book!
Old 12-30-2003, 08:35 AM
9th Gear

How's the handling and the road noise on the 215/50/17 compare to the stock?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally posted by tencamel
How's the handling and the road noise on the 215/50/17 compare to the stock?
I'll asses noise & handling more over the next few days of driving.

As for the ride compared to the OEM Michelin 205/60/16 91V tires, about the same. No harsher, no softer.

FYI - The new tires are mounted on OE Honda 17x7" +55mm offset "SilverStar" wheels. These I love!
Old 01-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile Update

After having the tires on for a few hundred miles, I'm able to say these tires ride great. There is a slight vibration ~ 80mph, but I'm sure we'll get that resolved.

The dry grip is nice, steering is dead on.. very precise. Dry pavement braking is good as well. Have not had a chance to test snow abilities, as we've been having a winter "heat wave." Not that I'm complaining...

Here's a few pics on the car.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:16 PM
bluLEGEND

Any updates on this tire?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Originally posted by blulegend
Any updates on this tire?
Could not get the tires to balance at highway speed. A real shame, as the tires were wonderful around town. I've ordered Michelin Pilot Sport AS in 225/50/17. They should be here in a week or so. Hope they meet my expectations, as nothing has of yet.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:13 AM
bluLEGEND

My contis were able to be balanced. However I did get a defective tire from Tirerack. The installer knew right away. The installer said they did not have to put very much weight on at all to balance the tires. Did not bother to look at how much weight was actually put on but all wheels have 3 sticky weights except one which has a small strip of them.

I drove 100 mph today on the freeway to check it out.

When I first moved to Detroit, I had a suspicion that my car pulled to the left and wanted to do an alignment but the dealer suggested I wait since it might be the roads here compared to California. But now I get the same small leftward pull that I know is not from the tires.

I also thought the tires were vibrating at highway speeds due to an ever so slight shimmy of my steering wheel. But then when I was driving in traffic at 30 mph I noticed the same road I noticed this on was actually periodically "lumpy". So far so good.

The tires do flatspot in the morning. Some days are worse than others like when I didn't drive it for 3 days of below 0 temps. The bumps dissipate after a mile or two on the highway or about 5 min of driving time and the bumps aren't as bad as I expected due to the warnings around here.

The snow traction is not as good as I expected but it is manageable. I was not able to compare to my stock Michelins because it did not snow much before I got these. But the one time I did drive them in snow was what made me decide it was time to retire them.

I'm satisfied so far being a very anal car owner.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by blulegend
My contis were able to be balanced. However I did get a defective tire from Tirerack. The installer knew right away. The installer said they did not have to put very much weight on at all to balance the tires. Did not bother to look at how much weight was actually put on but all wheels have 3 sticky weights except one which has a small strip of them.

I drove 100 mph today on the freeway to check it out.

When I first moved to Detroit, I had a suspicion that my car pulled to the left and wanted to do an alignment but the dealer suggested I wait since it might be the roads here compared to California. But now I get the same small leftward pull that I know is not from the tires.

I also thought the tires were vibrating at highway speeds due to an ever so slight shimmy of my steering wheel. But then when I was driving in traffic at 30 mph I noticed the same road I noticed this on was actually periodically "lumpy". So far so good.

The tires do flatspot in the morning. Some days are worse than others like when I didn't drive it for 3 days of below 0 temps. The bumps dissipate after a mile or two on the highway or about 5 min of driving time and the bumps aren't as bad as I expected due to the warnings around here.

The snow traction is not as good as I expected but it is manageable. I was not able to compare to my stock Michelins because it did not snow much before I got these. But the one time I did drive them in snow was what made me decide it was time to retire them.

I'm satisfied so far being a very anal car owner.
I'm confused with your final sentence. Are you satisfied with the Avid 4's, or satisfied with being an anal car owner?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced

I have had the same bad experience with the Continental ContiExtreme 215/50/17. Replaced one of the tires, it still wasn't right. Just replaced another 4 days ago. It's better, but not anywhere near the smooth ride I had with the original Michelin tire. The Conti's balance up on the machine, but I get wobbling at low speed and vibration at highway speed. To make the situation even more frustrating, the tire dealer did not install the tires because he has an old machine and, he "didn't want to buy me new 17" rims". So he knocked a few bucks off and I had the tires installed by my Acura dealer. With all of the running back and forth, I've probably lost about 8 - 10 hours of my time. Not to mention I am about $150 into this install and balance procedure. (I paid $183 per tire, but with the aforementioned costs, they have averaged out to about $225 per)
I am undecided about whether to keep these tires. I probably should have gone with my #2 choice - the Turanza LS-V. Or better yet, the Pilot Sport A/S.
Incidentally, the Conti is an excellent tire in snow, it's a smooth and quiet tire. It's just this balancing/vibration that is killing me.
Would I recommend the Conti - NO WAY.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I just replaced my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires after 80,000 highway miles with the Yokohama Avid V4s tires. The Michelins are the best tire made, but very expensive. It was 70.00 a tire less to go with the Yokohamas. If I was planning to keep my car I would have spent the money for the Michelins, but I plan to get a new one in June.
The Avid V4s tires seem like they are going to be a good tire after only 1 week. We have had a lot of snow and ice lately and they handle very well in these conditions. Although any brand new tire is going to handle much better than an old one.
The overall profile is a little smaller even though they are the same size tire as the Michelin. Seem to ride a little stiffer also.
I would say they are a close second to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and very good on price.