YOKO YK520's or S-Drive for 05 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool YOKO YK520's or S-Drive for 05 TL?

I am in need of new tires for my 05 TL and dont know which tire to go with. I replaced my OEM Bridgestone EL42's at 40K (amazing that they lasted that long) with Yoko Avid H4S tires which have lasted me almost 60K. I was quite satisfied with the H4S tires, but unfortuneatly America's Tire no longer sells the Avid H4S, so I am considering the Yoko YK520s or S-Drive tires. I do alot of freeway driving and really like having long lasting tires that will also give me a quiet ride. Any suggestions on whether I should go with the YK520's or the S-drive tires?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

i work for america's tire co. .. actually discount tire co, but they're the same company.

i'm a salesman and if you really want yoko's here's some info

yk520s are a great tire, more of a passenger tire, rather a performance tire.
s drives are a performance tire, with a good feel, low road noise, but i haven't had too many customers end up really happy with them with their performance and tread life compared to other tires.
DO NOT GET ES 100!

if you want yoko's get the sdrives. but if you the BEST of the best, of course get some michelins (pilot sport ps-2).

i currently have nitto 555s and LOVE them. low road noise. great performance. i hear the nitto invo's are really great too if you're into an a-symmetrical tire.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking into new SUMMER HPT's myself. www.tirerack.com AND www.discounttire.com are BOTH excellent sources for reviews, pictures, ratings, etc.
**I looked at the Yoko S-Drives in person, they look very nice. However, tirerack didn't give them the best review........it seems that tire placed 3rd in a comparison test.
**The Kuhmo SPT placed 1st in that test.......check those out.
**Also, it seems like ALOT of TL owners are VERY happy with the General Exclaim UHP.

If you are looking for a good mix of All-Season + Summer Tire.......I would say the General Exclaim UHP is the best for that mix.......according to other TL/TSX owners on tirerack.
If you are looking for strictly SUMMER HPTs, then you have a tough decision ahead. I am still looking & reading to find the BEST one out there............search continues.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 AM
6th Gear

Does anyone know if America's Tire/Discount Tire will price match/beat other competitors' prices?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by VegasRPh
I am looking into new SUMMER HPT's myself. www.tirerack.com AND www.discounttire.com are BOTH excellent sources for reviews, pictures, ratings, etc.
**I looked at the Yoko S-Drives in person, they look very nice. However, tirerack didn't give them the best review........it seems that tire placed 3rd in a comparison test.
**The Kuhmo SPT placed 1st in that test.......check those out.
**Also, it seems like ALOT of TL owners are VERY happy with the General Exclaim UHP.

If you are looking for a good mix of All-Season + Summer Tire.......I would say the General Exclaim UHP is the best for that mix.......according to other TL/TSX owners on tirerack.
If you are looking for strictly SUMMER HPTs, then you have a tough decision ahead. I am still looking & reading to find the BEST one out there............search continues.
Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check those out. It's so hard picking good tires. What do you think of going with 245/45R17 instead of the 235/45R17 tires?
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Stuck in Vegas.

as a salesman for discount tire, YES we pricematch anyone!

and as for the 245-45R17 question. thats a great choice on a size. the wider the tire means a bigger footprint. i recently sold 3 sets of tires to customers with a TL with this size. it's still a smooth ride, while giving you a little more rubber.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:17 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered the Yokohama Avid W4S? These tires are only 113 a piece on Tire Rack. I just had these installed a couple days ago, and so far so good. These tires are quiet and grippy. I used to ride on a set of Yokohama V4S on my stockies. This is actually a tire that many of the 2nd Gen guys swear by. Unfortunately they don't make them in a size that fits your stock 3rd Gen setup. Both tires seem quite comperable IMHO.