Worn Bridgestone Potenza Re960

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn Bridgestone Potenza Re960

Hi all, been looking through this forum for awhile but decided to join after getting 3 tires replaced due to wear today. I drive an 04 TL, passed down from my brother who replaced the stock tires a little over 2 years ago with the Potenzas. I got Alignment service done maybe 8 months ago, and rotation with my oil change 6 months ago, was told tires were good.
I took the car in today for another oil change and rotation and the front passenger tire was so worn I could see metal when they showed me (at least that's what it looked like). I was also told/shown that one of the rear tires was starting to bald as well. Since it's going to rain again in the Bay Area and I do a lot of freeway driving for work they suggested I change 3 tires (the 3rd had some life left but I have a Continental Dws installed from when I got a flat recently they suggested changing in pairs).
Anyways, they did my alignment (not too bad) again and checked the suspension (fine) and were a bit perplexed as to why my tires were so worn out so quickly. I live in SF where there's a ton of potholes and construction. Any thoughts on premature tire wear? It's not like I purposely run over potholes but there's a lot of them and bumpy uneven roads in the city. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome, Toni. All it takes is one bad pothole, and your alignment specs can be off. 6 months can be a long time, depending on how many miles you drive daily.

Hopefully you'll be good to go now.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
yeah potholes can be a killer on the alignment and wear can happen quickly. do you load your trunck with much weight?

so you just get 3 conti DWS to complete the set?

Last edited by pohljm; 03-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I had read up on the Continentals after I got one, and I had just bought the one because I didn't feel waiting and having them order a Potenza when I got the flat. I was planning on switching to them when I needed, just came way sooner than I thought.
I don't overload my trunk and I rarely drive others. The guys at the tire place were surprised reading my alignment results and looking at my suspension that there was such severe wear. The owner said he wasn't sure what the problem was and to just take the car in every 5,000 miles for rotation.
There's been a ton of construction and crap all over the place in SF, I'm wondering if all the loose rocks could contribute to wear?