Winters Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winters Tires and Rims

I just purchased a brand new 2006 Acura TL and am a bit worried about the winter. I Live in London, Ontario, Canada where we have lots of snow. There are a couple of questions I have.

1. Should I go through the dealer for this, or will they rip me off?
2. The tire pressure monitors ... do these need to be installed for the new tires? If not, how are they calibrated?
3. With new tires, will this affect my speedometer? I had this happen to me on my TL ... putting on performance tires made my speedometer show a faster speed than I was actually going (thinner tire -> more rotations).
4. What are the most optimum winter tires (for use in NJ)? I was looking at the following: a) Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 b) Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 ... any other recommendations??
Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Advanced

I think you could do better then the dealer.

You don't need the TPM but if you get them they are plug and play so to speak.

As long as they are the same circumference it shouldn't affect the Speedo too much.

Go to tire rack and do a comparison of winter tires. The blizzac's are pretty good; I use them on my rear wheel drive pickup.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd probably avoid the dealer as well as you can usually find the same tire quite a bit cheaper either through the Tire Rack or a local tire shop.

Personally I've had really good experiences with the Blizzaks & Hakkapeliita. The Hakka's are just about unstoppable in the winter, and can be studded, although I think Ontario bans studded tires. They might be a bit harder to find and bit more money, I think they are worth it.

As far as the TPMS goes, the sensors are actually on the wheels. So if you're just swapping the tires the TPMS sensors will continue to work. If you're getting another set of wheels, you'll need another set of sensors, or have to remove the ones from the factory wheels.

To check tire size compatibility, go to http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...bmit&reset=yes Plug in the factory settings 235/45 17 and some other sizes you're looking at and it will calculate any size/speedo differences. They advise staying within 3% of the original tires dimensions.

I'm getting ready to get a set of winters and am currently thinking about the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3, Blizzak WS50 and the Hakkapeliita's.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had very good relation with my local Acura Dealer (Acura Plus, Blainville/Quebec).

I purchased Acura OEM 16 inch Steel rims for $50.00 each as the dealer run a promotion last October (their usual price is $75.00 each).

The last Honda Stell Rim purchased before that was for a Honda Odyssey (2000) and they where $75 each for pull offs when you compared $50.00 for a similar sized 16 inch rims NEW from Acura.

I had shopped for tires elsewhere and they match the price of another Nokian Authorized dealer

Here is what I end up buying last October and the price;

4 = ACU 42700-SBD-A91 Acura 16" Steel Wheels @ $50 ea.
4 = Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI 205/60-16 @ $159 each.

With taxes and installation, the total came to $973.12

The dealer suggest using 215/55-16 but they are a wider tire which is not really desirable in the snow/sleet/ice driving condition and they cost an extra $50 each.

I did not need TPMS sensors as my car is a 2005 and I am using the Smartire TPMS system and bought extra sensors for the winter steel rims.

I had calculated that the speedometer would be off by 3 Km/H at 100 Km/H compared to the summer stock Michelin MXM 235/45-17.

My previous experience with Aftermarket Steel Rims on front wheel drive vehicles has been very expensive. The problem experienced with aftermarket steel rims was that they are usually made to fit other models/make of cars and the center bore of the pilot hole (the center hole in the wheel) which is designed to keep the wheel properly centered is oversized on Aftermarket wheels and it is impossible to keep the wheel centered which result in constant vibration.

Other factor when dealing with a local dealer, it is easier to resolve an issue locally should a problem ever happen.

Ask the part department at your local dealer if they run a winter wheel promotion you might be surprised as I was when I shopped for mine last year.

My last , with all the road salts used in Canada, I advise against using your alloy wheels for winter as after a few winters, the salt migrates to the tire bead area and the aluminium starts to corrode which will results in constant slow air leaks.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Pro

Forgot to add, I have been using Nokian Winter tires exclusively since 1991 and have not found a better tire for the winter driving conditions I experience on a constant basis as I used my car for my job which brings me across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

Nokian as saved my bacon more times then I care to admit. They are a very predicable tire in curves and just as you feel that your are loosing it in a curve, the manage to get traction and prevent you fromj going off road.

There is a Highway exit in Trois-Rivieres that is very nasty (Harpin turn) that I took at too high a speed and when I did notice the tight Hairpin tun it was too late to do anything but hold on the steering wheel and try to minimize damages.
The car I was driving at the time was a 1991 Lumina Euro and I was sure that I was going to have an accident but the tire went from sliding across the pavement to a progressive traction which permitted me to negotiate the curve at over 60 Km/H when there was a clear indication that the maximum posted speed was 20 Km/h. I have been a strong supporter of Nokian ever since that day.

BTW, The Ontario Department of Transportation is looking at removing the ban on studded tires as it would save numerous lives in Northern Ontario where winter road de-icing is almost non-existent but there is no time line set for it yet.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-18-2006, 02:59 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by StuartMMVITL
As far as the TPMS goes, the sensors are actually on the wheels. So if you're just swapping the tires the TPMS sensors will continue to work. If you're getting another set of wheels, you'll need another set of sensors, or have to remove the ones from the factory wheels.
If you are getting new wheels, you need to make sure the new wheels are compatible. I have TPMS on my G35, and my work wheels will not work with the TPMS.

I think it has something to do with the placement of the valvestem. The factory wheels have the stems at a shallow angle compared to the wheel, whereas my Work Rims (as well as the Volks I was looking at) are closer to perpendicular to the wheels. I think the TPMS module is long/straight, such that it wouldn't work with that placement.

I only assume the TL's TPMS is the sameway. (I have an 05' TL so I don't know for sure)
Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Intermediate

Are the 16" steel rims fitted for TPMS? I believe each TPMS costa $ 50.

Which Nokian tire is the best one?
Old 08-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by camshaft8
Are the 16" steel rims fitted for TPMS? I believe each TPMS costa $ 50.

You will have to ask your dealer about the fitment of TPMS sensors on the steel rims as I do not know the anwer.

Which Nokian tire is the best one?
Curently there are only 2 choices of Winter Tires in the Nokian range available in Canada.

Check the m out at; http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/t...fm?cid=1&sid=1

The RSI which is a Studless Ice Tire and the Hakkapeliitta 2 that can be purchased with or without studs.

The RSI will provide the best adhesion in icy road conditions without studs.
It's low is that it will wear faster then the Hakka 2

Hakka 2 with studs would be the ultimated choice should the DOT of Ontario get's off the a*s and permit the use of Studded Tires as they have been talking about for the last 5 years. This tire should outlast the RSI.

Hakka 2 without studs should have less adhesion on icy roads then the RSI.

There is the possibility of a 3rd choice in the near future as Nokian has had the Hakka 4 out in Europe for a few years now. The Hakka 4 is the RSI with Studs.

I like the RSI but it looks like I will not get more then 2 winters out of them. They are very silent for a winter tire and have great stability on icy and snow covered roads.

As soon as the Ontario DOT allows studs again I would like to switch over to the Hakka 2 with studs.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Pro

I guess I will have to swallow my previous post, Ontario DOT has finally amended their jurassic Studded Tire law to permit the use of Studded Winter tires From October 1 to April 30 but only for resident of Northern Ontario.

Here is a copy of the law;

No person shall operate a vehicle equipped with studded tires on a highway unless all of the following conditions are met:

1. The vehicle is operated during the period starting on October 1 and ending on April 30.

2. The permit holder of the vehicle is,

i. a resident of Northern Ontario,

ii. a corporation with a business premise in Northern Ontario, as shown by the address on the plate portion of the vehicle permit,

iii. a municipal corporation having jurisdiction and control of a highway or portion of a highway located in Northern Ontario,

iv. a road authority having jurisdiction and control of a highway or portion of a highway located in Northern Ontario,

v. a district school board in Northern Ontario,

vi. a school authority in Northern Ontario,

vii. Her Majesty the Queen in right of Ontario, or

viii. not a resident of Ontario and the vehicle is in Ontario for no longer than 30 days.

3. In the case of a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating equal to or less than 3,500 kilograms, all vehicle wheels are equipped with studded tires.

Check out the following link for the official site;

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.htm

Best regards

frenchnew who will be looking for studded tires soon.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Frenchnew where did you get the 3M paint protection done? how much does it cost?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Pro

Frenchnew where did you get the 3M paint protection done? how much does it cost?
Trim-Line Laval (they are located in Terrebonne, Quebec)

The cost was for the whole hood, front bumper, top of both front fenders and both side mirrors. $1,000 installed.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frenchnew
Trim-Line Laval (they are located in Terrebonne, Quebec)

The cost was for the whole hood, front bumper, top of both front fenders and both side mirrors. $1,000 installed.
I went to Trim line in Toronto and they quoted me $675 for front bumper, 12" on the hood and mirrors. Does this sound Ok to you? Is Trim line good?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro

I went to Trim line in Toronto and they quoted me $675 for front bumper, 12" on the hood and mirrors. Does this sound Ok to you? Is Trim line good?
Get the whole hood done or you will kick yourself (The 3M Paint Protection Film is available in 4 ft wide rolls and they will be able to cover the whole hood in 1 single piece) 12 inches on the hood is a joke and leaves too much of the hood area not covered.

Also, have both front fenders done on the top extending to about 4 inches down the side. I had nine done and the film show signs of rock impact (the film is scuffed but the paint is untouched).

While you are at it, both front headlights.

If you decide to have it done, plan to arrive well in advance to let ample time for the car to cool down as the heat from the engine will get that hood pretty warm.

The installer will then wash the whole surface where the film is to be applied or the dirt will be trapped underneath.

Trim-Line is a franchise of car detailers that are trained to install 3M paint protection film.

If that Trim-Line dealer is not willing to do the whole hood, I would suggest that you find another installer

Do not be surprise as to the cost, it will be around $1,000CDN but this is a one time job that will last the life of the car as long as you treated like the rest (wash and wax the film, no buffers please).

You can call 3M (their main Canadian Office is located in London - Ontario for Canada) they will surely help you out in finding an installer.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

I just purchased a brand new 2006 Acura TL and am a bit worried about the winter. I Live in London, Ontario, Canada where we have lots of snow. There are a couple of questions I have.

1. Should I go through the dealer for this, or will they rip me off?
2. The tire pressure monitors ... do these need to be installed for the new tires? If not, how are they calibrated?
3. With new tires, will this affect my speedometer? I had this happen to me on my TL ... putting on performance tires made my speedometer show a faster speed than I was actually going (thinner tire -> more rotations).
4. What are the most optimum winter tires (for use in NJ)? I was looking at the following: a) Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 b) Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 ... any other recommendations??
Hey camshaft...I live in London, Ontario as well. Let me know what you find out or if you get the tires. I'm looking as well. Where did you buy? Acura West? What'd you pay?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mpax
Hey camshaft...I live in London, Ontario as well. Let me know what you find out or if you get the tires. I'm looking as well. Where did you buy? Acura West? What'd you pay?

I negotiated in Toronto and bought in London - Acura West. I will let you know about the tires. Thanks nice to know you live in the beautiful city too! What is your year and colour?

I have a 2006 NBP with black interior, AT. Just love the car.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

I purchased Acura OEM 16 inch Steel rims for $50.00 each as the dealer run a promotion last October (their usual price is $75.00 each).
frenchnew,

Did you run the steel rims as-is, or did you purchase wheel covers? Of course, safety is paramount in winter conditions.... but I'm just wondering how the car looks for the 3-4+ months with this setup. Any photos available of your soultion? Hate to sound snobby, but I haven't driven a car with wheel covers since I had a Olds Cutlass Ciera (grandpa-grey, even!) back in college! ha! At the same time, I need to be able to get down the 'mountain' in the mornings!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sandman013
frenchnew,

Did you run the steel rims as-is, or did you purchase wheel covers? Of course, safety is paramount in winter conditions.... but I'm just wondering how the car looks for the 3-4+ months with this setup. Any photos available of your soultion? Hate to sound snobby, but I haven't driven a car with wheel covers since I had a Olds Cutlass Ciera (grandpa-grey, even!) back in college! ha! At the same time, I need to be able to get down the 'mountain' in the mornings!

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Sorry, no pictures.

I ran them as is with no wheel covers. Not the nicest setup compared to my chromed OEM alloys but as you stated, my main concerns is safety first as my car is used for business travel across Eastern Canada.

I had wheel covers on the winter wheels of the 2003 Honda Odyssey and found them more trouble then what they are worth. The retaining system on Honda/Acura for wheel covers use a special lug nut that has a plastic rim molded to it to retain the wheel covers. They do not retain the cover firmly enough in my opinion.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 AM
8th Gear

One thing that you should try to check; I you put in winter rims without a TPMS, you may not be able to disactivate the VSA. have read in the owner manual that if you have a low air tire, that you can't disable your VSA. This mean you may be in for trouble if you get stuck in the snow. You will not be able to spin the wheels. I have asked my dealer and they are suppose to get back to me with an answer. By the way, the TPMS only came in on the 2006 models.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Question

The local Acura dealer is offering 4 steel rims with TPMS and 4 Alpin PA2 tires for $1495 plus tax. Is this a good deal??? The steel rims are made by Acura and painted the same colour as the alloys. Not as good looking though. I live in Canada and was wondering if anyone can get a better deal or any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Pro

The local Acura dealer is offering 4 steel rims with TPMS and 4 Alpin PA2 tires for $1495 plus tax. Is this a good deal??? The steel rims are made by Acura and painted the same colour as the alloys. Not as good looking though. I live in Canada and was wondering if anyone can get a better deal or any suggestions on what I should do?

Sorry camshaft8 but you are not providing any details as to the size of the tires.

It might pay to shop for the wheels & TPMS sensors from the dealer but get a price on tires from tireshops in your area.

You want to select the thinest tire that the wheel will accomodate while still respecting overall tire circumference to remain with 3% of your summer tires as to minimize Spedometer errors.

If you look at my post you will see that I have selected 205/60-16 Winter tires as opposed to the dealer suggested 215/55-16. The main reason for doing this is to get more traction in slippery condition as the narrower tire will have less tendency to float on slushy/snow covered surfaces and as an added value, they where about $50 less expensive then the same tires in the 215/55-16 size.

Best regards from Montreal

frenchnew
Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey camshaft8, i live in Toronto. don;t get it at ur dealer they r going to rip u like crazy my dealer tried to sell me the same deal. but they lied to me they said a set of OEM ALLOY rim with tpms and Alpine PA2 for 2400 + taxlol it;s full of shit their "oem alloy" is actually steel but painted like alloy.....

i got set of 05 tl rim for 550, got a set of new tmps from acura for 45 EACH, and i got the Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero on yesterday they were 285+ tax each

i spent a total of 2055 bux those wintre tires r even nicer than the apline pa2
Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Frenchnew thanks for your reply...

The tire size is 225-55 on 16 inch rims and the steel rims have space for TPMS sensors which is what I liked. If I get other rims they dont have space for the TPMS sensors. I tried ot find out about Nokian RSI tires and the delaer in London wants $260 per tire.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vc123
Hey camshaft8, i live in Toronto. don;t get it at ur dealer they r going to rip u like crazy my dealer tried to sell me the same deal. but they lied to me they said a set of OEM ALLOY rim with tpms and Alpine PA2 for 2400 + taxlol it;s full of shit their "oem alloy" is actually steel but painted like alloy.....

i got set of 05 tl rim for 550, got a set of new tmps from acura for 45 EACH, and i got the Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero on yesterday they were 285+ tax each

i spent a total of 2055 bux those wintre tires r even nicer than the apline pa2

did the TPMS sensors fit onto the ordinadry rims?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Racer

yup it fits perfectly
if u go talk to the guys in parts they'll tell u NO IT DOESN:T FIT hmm but we can make it fit for u it'll cost 1 hour labour whichis 95 buxs canadian =.=
i talked to my friend taht works at acura he told me it;s plug and play
just balnace it after u get ur tires on

i put the tmps on mysef
unscrew the tmps into 2 piece then put it in and screw it on TIGHT u have to screw it on tight till the tmps doesn;t move it;s really easy 5 mins each rim
Old 10-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Racer

i bought a set of 05 oem rims and they fits the tpms and works perfectly on my 06 tl
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Pro

Talking

Frenchnew thanks for your reply...

The tire size is 225-55 on 16 inch rims and the steel rims have space for TPMS sensors which is what I liked. If I get other rims they dont have space for the TPMS sensors. I tried ot find out about Nokian RSI tires and the delaer in London wants $260 per tire.
Did you try to get a quote for 205/60-16? I paid $159each(Installed & Balanced) from my local Acura dealer here in Blainville last year plus taxes.

Also, did you use the Nokian Tire Dealer locator at;
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/locater.aspx

Like I mentioned, the narrower tire thread will be more beneficial in difficult driving conditions and they will cost at least $50 less per tire. As per the speedometer error, it will be less then 2 Kmh at 100 kmh.

As for the wheel, they had a special at the time @ $50 per 16inch Black Steel Rim for Honda/Acura branded wheels. They usually sell them for $75.00 each.

I guess that I should go in business and sell tires and wheels to my neighbours from Ontario?

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Advanced

16" steels with Winterforce Tires

For my '05 A-spec I carred over my 16" steels with 215/55/16 WinterForce studded tires from my 01' Maxima. It looks ugly through the winter but you never realy care if you ruin a rim. The package cost me $700 through OKTire.com. Plus it saves wear on my 17" stocks w/MXM4's(early spring, late fall setup) and 18" A-spec w/Toyo Proxy 4's( Summer). Maritime winters are tricky with some heavy snow and lots of ice(Nova Scotia) so if you can afford a nice car you can afford to put some steels on with a good winter tire and protect you and the car. I'm with the RCMP and just finished a shift which included a major accident. Never skimp on a proper tire setup for the given season. Take care all and be safe. I'm new to this site and this is like my 2nd post. Thanks for all the good info ppl.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro

Just a follow up for my neighbours from Ontario, Canada.

I just called a local dealer (Pneus Optimum,Terrebonne, Quebec) and they are part of the OK Tire Dealer franchise to get up to date pricing on Nokian Tires.

Nokian RSI 205/60-16 $175.00 each installed & Balanced plus taxes.

Nokian Hakka 4 Studded 205/60-16 $196.00 each installed & Balanced plus taxes.

Please note that in Quebec we have the tire recycling charge of $3.00 per tire plus taxes.

With these prices, you should be able to do some comparative shopping in your area.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Cool

Okay here is the situation I am facing

The dealer wants $1495 + tax
for 4 steel rims which can take TPMS, these are steel but painted in the alloy colour, 4 TPMS sensors and Michelin Alpin PA2 tires.

If I but speparatly then I have

From Costco 4 of the same Michelin tires for $864 + tax, from the dealer 4 TPMS Sensors $50 each gives $200 and 4 steel rims for $420. The total is $1488.

So the dealer is not ripping me off unless I can get the rims and sensors cheaper from elsewhere.

Ofcourse I wish I could get Nokian RSIs but in London, Ontario they want $ 260 each.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

I'm looking at the same deal camshaft.

The tires are a "no brainer"...your getting a decent deal there. The TPMS sensors are what they are as well. I don't know if they'll fit in plain black rims, or if Acura will even install aftermarket rims in house. The service mgr. told me plain black rims were not avail. through Acura. Plain steel black rims (nowhere near as nice) are about $50/ea, so if the look isn't important in the winter, that'll save you about $200 bucks. Plus, I was talking to AcuraWest in London last week and if you buy before Nov 3rd you get a mail in rebate for $40 or $50 bucks.

I guess then the end result is $1495 (less 40 or 50 for rebate) if you care how your TL looks in the Winter, or $1275 (possibly less $200 if no TPMS as well)

Let me know what you decide and how the painted one's look if you get them.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Sounds like Acura is offering a good enough deal on the tires. The steel painted rims from Acura definitely will look nicer, whereas 4 regular black steel rims will run you about $200 instead of $400. Also keep in mind, when I spoke with service at AcuraWest in London last week they told me if you buy before Nov 3rd there is a mail in rebate. I think it was 40 or 50 bucks.

Let me know how you make out, I'm on the fence about the rims right now.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Well her is the latest. I have been doing some calling around in Toronto and this is the best deal so far

Tires 205/60-16 Michelin Alpin PA2
16" Alloy rims - Not steel but alloy - they are decent
TPMS sensors installed
Free removal and installation each year

All for CDN $ 1300 plus taxes. I don't think this is a bad deal. Any opinions?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:02 AM
8th Gear

Smile

I just bought 4 - 2006 Civic 16" alloy wheels and got the TPMS sensors installed on it without any problems. The wheel is curved where the sensor is suppose to sit; The distance between the caliper and the wheel is about 3/8" so you'll have to use the super slim weight to balance the wheel; I did install the new blizzak revo1 205-60-16. I wanted to put the Nokian but could not find a dealer nearby; I am now ready for the winter!

2006 TL White.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro

Well her is the latest. I have been doing some calling around in Toronto and this is the best deal so far

TPMS sensors installed

Alloy wheels for winter is a bad idea in areas where road salt is used!

You can try them if you do not believe me but after the 2nd winter, you will understand.

The road salt will migrate to the tire bead area and eat away at the surface aluminium corrosion) which will result in constant air leaks.

Check with the local Acura dealer this past week, the steel winter wheels are $75.00 each this year.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

QUOTE=camshaft8]Well her is the latest. I have been doing some calling around in Toronto and this is the best deal so far

TPMS sensors installed

[/QUOTE]
Hey Camshaft, I just spoke with Acura2000 in Brampton and here's a better deal.
4 steel silver 5-spoke Acura rims 4 Alloy silver 5-spoke Acura rims
4 Michelin Pilot PA2 225/55HR16 4 Michelin Pilot PA2 205/60HR16
4 TPMS Sensors 4 TPMS Sensors
Installed $1230 + tax Installed $1490 +tax
Old 11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Forgot to add, I have been using Nokian Winter tires exclusively since 1991 and have not found a better tire for the winter driving conditions I experience on a constant basis as I used my car for my job which brings me across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes.

Nokian as saved my bacon more times then I care to admit. They are a very predicable tire in curves and just as you feel that your are loosing it in a curve, the manage to get traction and prevent you fromj going off road.

There is a Highway exit in Trois-Rivieres that is very nasty (Harpin turn) that I took at too high a speed and when I did notice the tight Hairpin tun it was too late to do anything but hold on the steering wheel and try to minimize damages.
The car I was driving at the time was a 1991 Lumina Euro and I was sure that I was going to have an accident but the tire went from sliding across the pavement to a progressive traction which permitted me to negotiate the curve at over 60 Km/H when there was a clear indication that the maximum posted speed was 20 Km/h. I have been a strong supporter of Nokian ever since that day.

BTW, The Ontario Department of Transportation is looking at removing the ban on studded tires as it would save numerous lives in Northern Ontario where winter road de-icing is almost non-existent but there is no time line set for it yet.

Best regards

frenchnew

Frenchnew

I can get Nokian RSI tires for $172 per tire plus taxes here in London finally. How are these re: handling on the highway as they are Q or R rated. Can you go say relatively fast with these? They are not winter performance tires? So wouldn't the Michelin Alpin PA2 be a better tire?

You travel a lot so I thought I would ask.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Team Anthracite

hey i live in markham, just checked for winter tire, this store is offering $680 on 235/45/17 Continental Vikings
=) cash and tax included
Old 11-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro

Frenchnew

I can get Nokian RSI tires for $172 per tire plus taxes here in London finally. How are these re: handling on the highway as they are Q or R rated. Can you go say relatively fast with these? They are not winter performance tires? So wouldn't the Michelin Alpin PA2 be a better tire?

You travel a lot so I thought I would ask.

First, I can't speak of the Michelin Alpin PA2 as I never tried them.

Second, How fast do you really want to go?

Nokian has been the tire of choice for alot of Rallye cars on the winter events for alot of years.

I think that a performance oriented snow tire is a compromise between the best snow/ice traction and the best dry pavement traction as opposed to a tire like the RSI which is designed to provide the best traction on snow & ice covered roads.

I guess it all boils down on what is the target you want to reach?

For me, I want the best traction in the worst of winter conditions, hence my choice of a 205/60-16 as opposed to the dealer suggested 215/55-16.

Narrower tires will have less tendencies to float on slushy roads.

When these RSI I presently had for 1 winter are due for a change, I will get the Nokian HAKKA 4 Studded now that Ontario permits visitors to use them.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tidus888
hey i live in markham, just checked for winter tire, this store is offering $680 on 235/45/17 Continental Vikings
=) cash and tax included
That is a pretty good price but these tire are too wide for my winter tire use.

See my previous message.

Frenchnew
Old 11-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSX-S Rims on TL for winter??

Hey guys, I have a line on some RSX-S rims with snow tires for a decent price. I am wondering if someone can tell me if they will fit my 05 TL 6sp... WITH BREMBO's. I need to make sure these can clear the brakes. Size listed below.

Wheels are stock 02-04 RSX Type S with Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires
205/55 16
5x114.3 bolt pattern 16x6.5 +45

thanks!

Quick Reply: Winters Tires and Rims