Will these tires fit ?? help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will these tires fit ?? help...

i want a beefier tire. i want to try 255/40/17 on the stock rim (2004 TL). tirerack says they can only recommend 245/45/17 as a next size up. 255/40/17's are approx 1inch wider and approx 0.3inch less tall than my stock 235/45/17's

will these fit without any rubbing issues? my dealer nor other newsgroups could answer this question, and i know alot of you TL owners here have tried just about everything thus far.

thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:06 AM
What's a TL?

They should fit no problem, but they are gonna look sort of dumb and I don't see the need to get a bigger tire. I understand getting a BETTER tire, but just getting a bigger one does not have any positive effects. I would stick with stock size but just get a decent tire...this obviously is not a race car, and its not a rear wheel car with lots of torque, so giant rubber is pointless
Old 07-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Banned

wider for looks, not performance. do you mean "dumb" because 255's are too wide and will stick out to much?? tirerack suggest 1 size up to a 245/45/17 (which gives me a tad more height in the well, what i want).

the next big question is, what brand. i want the best combo of wet/dry/quietness/wear i can get. no snow with this car.

i have my eye on Yokohama H4S, but i'm also looking at:

Toyo Proxes-4 (they offer 500 mile usage trial) !!
Falken Azenis ST-115

any suggestions on brand of tire?

thanks for the info...
Old 07-19-2004, 02:04 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by cvajs
wider for looks, not performance. do you mean "dumb" because 255's are too wide and will stick out to much?? tirerack suggest 1 size up to a 245/45/17 (which gives me a tad more height in the well, what i want).

the next big question is, what brand. i want the best combo of wet/dry/quietness/wear i can get. no snow with this car.

i have my eye on Yokohama H4S, but i'm also looking at:

Toyo Proxes-4 (they offer 500 mile usage trial) !!
Falken Azenis ST-115

any suggestions on brand of tire?

thanks for the info...
I think I can understand the looks thing, although I don't personally like tires that stick out too much.

I am a huge proponent of the Azenis and all of my friends (with not so nice ricey cars, to really nice luxury cars) run and love the tires. Great performance, really quiet, stick to the road well. Falken does have some sort of a trial too (almost sure of that...check their website). Look forward to hearing how everything works out.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Banned

Azien issue

i was about to buy st-115's when i ran into these 3 one star reviews. check out the one post that has link to pics of the tire schredding..?

http://discounttire.epinions.com/Fal...rformance_Tire

i'm not driving tha car hard, just want total control without the need to buy new tires every year.

now i'm undecided, st-115 or beta 451, or toyo proxes-4 ???
any suggestion ?
Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 PM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by cvajs
i was about to buy st-115's when i ran into these 3 one star reviews. check out the one post that has link to pics of the tire schredding..?

http://discounttire.epinions.com/Fal...rformance_Tire

i'm not driving tha car hard, just want total control without the need to buy new tires every year.

now i'm undecided, st-115 or beta 451, or toyo proxes-4 ???
any suggestion ?

Not sure how much faith to put into those reviews...people who have an issue are more likely to report it than people who are happy (of, course). I have had the tires myself and have 6 friends currently running them. One of those friends is also running SO3s on his car, so obvisouly money is not an object for him, but he still chooses the Falken's. All of my friends are really hard drivers too, so if there was a design or quality flaw, I feel like I would have seen it by now.

Anyhow, I still vote the Azenis (I personally hate Toyos), but I know lots of people like the Toyos too. Either way, if they are about the same price, you should be pretty happy.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
Not sure how much faith to put into those reviews...people who have an issue are more likely to report it than people who are happy (of, course). I have had the tires myself and have 6 friends currently running them. One of those friends is also running SO3s on his car, so obvisouly money is not an object for him, but he still chooses the Falken's. All of my friends are really hard drivers too, so if there was a design or quality flaw, I feel like I would have seen it by now.

Anyhow, I still vote the Azenis (I personally hate Toyos), but I know lots of people like the Toyos too. Either way, if they are about the same price, you should be pretty happy.
i agree with you, i'm just wanting the "better" tire that's in the same price range. the kumho asx get's some good reviews too. the pics of st-115 chunking off is good proof of poor tire performance considering the salesguy who sold him the tires said that's what they were for...