Will I survive the winter with the OEM Michelin MXM4 on my 05 TL??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will I survive the winter with the OEM Michelin MXM4 on my 05 TL??

I have 11k on these Michelin MXM4 OEM's, and they are sketchy in the rain. I think it will be better when I get them rotated for the first time though?? I live in the suburbs of NYC and would just keep these if they will do the job?? Is anybody else going to battle a winter with these tires??

If I do decide to get other tires, Im torn between getting a wheel and tire package with 16's for like 600 bucks, but they are ugly?? Or getting some really good all season like the Pirelli P zero nero ms's(mud and snow), the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, or maybe even a dedicated winter tire like a nokia or something?? I am so confused. Please help a brother out?? The other factor is I believe the OEM's are the same that came on my 01 Jetta VR6, which didn't hold up very well in the bad weather??

Cliff notes... Can I get by with the OEM Michelin MXM4 with a good degree of safety??
Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good question. I would like to know this also. I have about 3500 miles on my 05 TL 6MT, so how do the michelin's hold up?

How are yours looking after 11K miles?

Personal reccomendation: Get the Pirelli's. I put them on my 03 TL about 2 months before I traded them in and they were amazing in dry, and extremely nimble in wet weather. Unfortunately never got to try them out in snow. From what I hear though, they are very very good. All around an extremely competent tire in all weather conditions, and priced very reasonably if you search around!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodney
I have 11k on these Michelin MXM4 OEM's, and they are sketchy in the rain. I think it will be better when I get them rotated for the first time though?? I live in the suburbs of NYC and would just keep these if they will do the job?? Is anybody else going to battle a winter with these tires??

If I do decide to get other tires, Im torn between getting a wheel and tire package with 16's for like 600 bucks, but they are ugly?? Or getting some really good all season like the Pirelli P zero nero ms's(mud and snow), the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's, or maybe even a dedicated winter tire like a nokia or something?? I am so confused. Please help a brother out?? The other factor is I believe the OEM's are the same that came on my 01 Jetta VR6, which didn't hold up very well in the bad weather??

Cliff notes... Can I get by with the OEM Michelin MXM4 with a good degree of safety??
It all depends on the snow conditions.

Do you want nice and slippery or Ugly and grippy.

I personally went for the 16 inch Steel Rims along with Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI in the 205/60-16 size.

This is going to preserve the chromed alloys wheels from the salt and by going with a narrower tires, I get better traction in all of winter's driving conditions.

As far as the look being ugly, I don't care about looks, I care about my safety first and foremost.

Four seasons tires should really be called 3 seasons as they are far from being acceptable in cold weather or snowy, icy driving condition. You need a dedicated winter tire for these conditions.

Best Regards

frenchnew
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
My '03 TL-S came with the same tires in 215/50/17. Went through 2 winters on them with only one accident where the rear end must have hit an ice patch while cornering and spun me right out into a ditch.

Other than that, I would say they are tolerable for winter driving as long as you're not expecting phenomonal amount of traction.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin MXM4s are BAD

I have an '04 automatic and have driven on several sets of EL 42's, as well as Michelin XGT Z4s and lastly the Pilot MXM4s. Basically all are terrible in snow in part due to the size/profile of the tire and the HP to the front wheels. IMO the MXM4s were the worst even in light snow. As you have probably already felt, they love to break away on wet pavement, even shifting into 2nd and 3rd... on dry they have a tendency to squeal even at moderate speed and then breakaway w/o warning. The XGT Z4s looked more agressive but they spun on the snow too and were pretty noisy (thought I had a bad whell bearing).
I'm currently looking at NOKIAN WR v's and the GOODYEAR Eagle Ultra-grip ... so far nothing but high praise everywhere I read. Prices range from $165 to $205 mtd and balanced.
Anybody have real life experience with either of these tires?
Both are V rated and both are supposedly good on dry. I think the Goodyear might be better on ice. I'm also thinking of trying the Zero-Nero after the winter.... or maybe the Falken since they appear to provide a "more forgiving" ride...
Opinions encouraged...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Interesting. my MXM seems to hold good on light ice and all rains
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Actuary
Interesting. my MXM seems to hold good on light ice and all rains

Same here...but then again nothing can save u when u hit a good patch of ice
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Instructor

Tires for the winter

Hey... i've had my 04 TL for 2 years now and have made it thru NYC / long island winter.... and did just fine with the OEM EL42s and they supposedy suck. The TLs traction control and VSA keep the car going totally str8 and totally make up for the tire's shortcomings.

YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PROBLEM in our area. Now, if u have to tackle huge hills and mountains, then consider something else....

i took my car out in a parking lot filled with snow and ice, and TRIED to get the car to break away from itself and i couldnt! until i disabled the VSA

i'm sure the michelins are fine for where we live
Old 11-11-2005, 02:06 PM
10th Gear

You have got to be kidding.... I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but.... Just to check out my own impressions, I went to Tirerack.com and 1010tires.com..
Survey results tirerack.com:
Results from our online tire survey: (A) 580 & (B) 435 surveys submitted (A)12,788,767 miles and (B) 8,795,188 miles reported for
(A) HX MXM & (B) EL 42
Dry 7.1 6.5
Wet 5.8 4.8
HydroResistance 5.7 4.5
Snow Traction 4.4 3.6
Cornering Stability 6.4 5.8
Steering Response 6.7 5.9
Ride Comfort 6.7 5.5
Noise 6.4 5.3
TreadWear 6.2 4.7

Key: Superior (8.6-10) Excellent (6.6-8.5) Good (4.6-6.5) Fair (2.6-4.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would You Buy MXM Again? Most said: Probably Not (Average of 3 out of 10)
Would You Buy EL 42 Again? Most said: Definitely Not (Average of 2.3 out of 10)

Both of these tires are OEM garbage. I drive in NJ and Pa and neither of the tires are good from a dead stop, or trying to stop on soft snow. Shoulders are pathetic.... no grip.

Also, VSA is nice when cornering but it is not the greatest thing when it snows..... the "system" moves the power and braking from wheel to wheel when it senses slipping.... (on soft snow that could be all the time)... so the system helps keep control but it also prevents the car from getting up a hill. In my 04'TL I have to disengage the VSA to climb snowy hills.... Is there anyone else that can make the claim that they can't make their TL breakaway in a snowy parking lot??? something's wrong there!!!! I'm buying Nokian WRs or Goodyear UltaGrip snows this year just to keep my TL moving and braking when Rt 78 gets snowy... both come in V speed ratings and get police dept. approvals in the Northeast and even in Canada

PS... maybe I drive more agressively than some but even Michelin dealers will tell you that the MXMs are not especially good on wet roads... especially after 10-20K miles....