Who's had Acura replace their wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's had Acura replace their wheels?

Anyone have Acura replace the 2004 18" Gunmetals with the 2005 versions?

I've had my gunmetals on my NBP for about a month now and to be honest, I'm a little concerned with them. When I bought them a few months ago (new from a dealer on ebay) I felt lucky because I liked the look and I actually found a set. However, since they've gone on the car, I've had one wheel fixed twice because the cleacoat was peeling off and I just curbed another one (barely touched, but significant damage)!! Plus, I now noticed that the clearcoat on a second wheel is peeling!

I also read in another thread that there's a rumor that these wheels cause excessive tire wear ("feathering??")??

Anyway, if anyone has had Acura replace their 04 wheels, would you be kind enough to let me how you went about it and how Acura handled it? I would like them to replace my wheels with the 05 Silver Sparkles...

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
you're kidding, right?

1. wheels are the last thing that would ever be replaced (used to be tires but we see what happened there)
2. "purchased on eBay" = no chance of warranty (if there was any chance - see #1)

If you had purchased from a local dealer, that would have been your course of action. Now? I'd say you're on your own...
Old 07-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Just the thought that someone would even try something like that blows my mind.

Dude.. You need to get with the person that sold you those wheels. There is no "clear coating" on these wheels from the Einke factory. They are painted then sealed with a teflon coating material (that doesnt peal).

If you have clear coat that is comming off.. The wheels have painted by someone that didnt know what they were doing.

As a former Acura employee if you brought these wheel into our store i would probably laugh at you... Clear coat pealing and curb rash and you want us to replace them!?!?! ROTFLMAO!!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lindros2
you're kidding, right? NO.

1. wheels are the last thing that would ever be replaced (used to be tires but we see what happened there) Why? Acura admitedly had a problem with these wheels, hence the design change for 05.
2. "purchased on eBay" = no chance of warranty (if there was any chance - see #1) Wrong. I bought them from an Acura dealer. They come with the FULL Acura warranty.

If you had purchased from a local dealer, that would have been your course of action. Now? I'd say you're on your own...Wrong again. You don't have to go the dealer where you bought the car to service the car or have work performed under warranty.
I disagree with everything you said. See above.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
WOW! Just the thought that someone would even try something like that blows my mind.

Dude.. You need to get with the person that sold you those wheels. There is no "clear coating" on these wheels from the Einke factory. They are painted then sealed with a teflon coating material (that doesnt peal).

If you have clear coat that is comming off.. The wheels have painted by someone that didnt know what they were doing.

As a former Acura employee if you brought these wheel into our store i would probably laugh at you... Clear coat pealing and curb rash and you want us to replace them!?!?! ROTFLMAO!!
1) Ok, maybe it's not clear coat, but your "teflon" coating is peeling.
2) You're obiously not familiar with the width issue, which is why Acura changed the wheel in 05. The wheel sticks out past the tire, therefore, I couldn't take the car through a car wash without damage to all four wheels. i.e. Design flaw from Acura.
3) While you may have laughed, my local Acura dealer fixed the coating already, and told me to bring it back if it happens again and they'll get me a new wheel.
4) You're an idiot.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever!!! Im not gonna argue with you and start name calling.. Good luck with your wheels.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
Whatever!!! Im not gonna argue with you and start name calling.. Good luck with your wheels.
Fine; then don't ridicule me for what I feel is a valid concern.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Racer

UPDATE: Dealer agreed to replace my 04 gunmetals with peeling paint/whatever with new 05 18s under warranty. I chose the Sliver Sparkles which are on order.

Great service IMO...they agreed that the finish should not be doing that, and obviously now about the lack of rim protection.

For what they charge for these wheels, they'd better stand behind them.
This is no different from all of you who have had your seats replaced for butt prints...

I'm a very satisfied customer!