Who has had their wheels powdercoated?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Who has had their wheels powdercoated?? HELP!

So I'm getting some rims soon and I want to have them powdercoated when I get them. I am having the entire rim coated, face and inner barrel. I have been getting some estimates from places local to me and im getting some very different prices. Two places quoted me about $70 a rim which included everything - stripping the wheel, blasting it, and coating it (and whatever else goes into the process). Another two places, who are well known and are farely large companies, quoted me about $300 a rim. Now these places made it a point to say that they put 3 different coats of color on it before the rim is finished.

So who here has had their rims powdercoated and how much did you pay per rim? How did they come out? I'm just looking to see about where the price should be and what I should look for as far as the process the company does to powdercoat them. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive had a set coated twice. Once black, and once white, paid 80$ a wheel.

The first time they were coated the place just coated them over the factory finish...which lasted for a while but ended up peeling off in the end.

Make sure that when tires are mounted on them to tell the tire place you have powder coated wheels, because they will mess something up if you dont.

Also, be careful who blasts them. The place i went to wasnt a wheel place...just a powder coater and they used to course of sand and pitted the wheels in places....So you gotta kinda go with your gut. Pay more for a legit wheel place, or pay less for a generic coater.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Stand For Something

Well I know the places that charge $300 are going to do a great job because of their reputation and because they actually do a lot of stuff for show cars. The other places I don't know much about, but they said that they do strip the wheel and blast them and everything before they coat them.

I don't really want to pay another $1200 just to powdercoat them, but I also dont want the rims to chip or anything after I get them back. I dunno what to do.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

What type of wheels are they?

Depending on the make/cost would be my deciding factor. I wouldnt take a high end wheel to a cheap shop...but i also wouldnt take a general wheel to a high dollar shop to spend a ton on powdercoating.

But $1200 is a ton....at that price i would just have them painted.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Damn $300 a rim!! I paid $180 for all four of my rims to be powdercoated, so far so good. I would recommend just shopping around for the best price and then decide on who you want to go with. If your dead set on having a particular shop do your rims discuss the price to see if they'll work with you. It helps to mention that you got a cheaper quote from a different shop and see if they'll match it or compromise on a cheaper price. Doesn't hurt to try and wheel n deal a bit to get what you want, especially with this economy. Good luck!!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by sT04Louis

Depending on the make/cost would be my deciding factor. I wouldnt take a high end wheel to a cheap shop...but i also wouldnt take a general wheel to a high dollar shop to spend a ton on powdercoating.

Got my rims from this guy ^^
Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Stand For Something

They're 19" Advans. Yeah I dont intend on paying $1200 to have them done. Idk about having them painted tho, everyone I've talked to said that powdercoat is much better than paint.

Originally Posted by madcaps
Damn $300 a rim!! I paid $180 for all four of my rims to be powdercoated, so far so good. I would recommend just shopping around for the best price and then decide on who you want to go with. If your dead set on having a particular shop do your rims discuss the price to see if they'll work with you. It helps to mention that you got a cheaper quote from a different shop and see if they'll match it or compromise on a cheaper price. Doesn't hurt to try and wheel n deal a bit to get what you want, especially with this economy. Good luck!!
One place actually asked me what other quotes I got, and when I told him the other quotes he was like "Yeahhh, I dunno if I would trust those places." I mean obviously this guy wants the business, but on the other hand we got to talking about show cars and working on cars and what not, he was really chill. At the end of the convo he was like "Well just continue shopping around and see what other places offer and make sure they go thru the right process," and he explained all the process to me. So
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my wheels powder coated, $100 a piece. Wheels were sand blasted, coated and clear coated. They came out perfect.

$300 a piece is ridiculous. If the cheaper places powder coat wheels, as in they have experience doing so, go for it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
`I was thinking about powder coating mine black but im not sure if I want a flat black or a cleared black rim. I have OEM's for the 05.
Does anyone have any pics of them either style pref SSM?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Instructor

1200... buy aftermarket new/used
I was thinking to get mine powder coated, but even at $320 I decided if I throw in a couple hundred more and I'd have a decent set of used rims.

If you can find 180 for all 4, I might jump on that! where you located MAD? did you have a hook up?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Stand For Something

Anybody else have their rims PC'd?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by Nova_GTS
1200... buy aftermarket new/used
I was thinking to get mine powder coated, but even at $320 I decided if I throw in a couple hundred more and I'd have a decent set of used rims.

If you can find 180 for all 4, I might jump on that! where you located MAD? did you have a hook up?
I live in Rancho Cucamonga in Southern Cali. Not really a hook up, I just found the guy in the phone book, went down to his shop, dropped off the rims and got them back in 3 days. Easy pa-cheesy!! But if someone local needs powdercoating I would recommend B&B Powdercoating, they were cool and did a good job at a good price. Rims seem like no big deal to them. While I was there they had a grip load of newly p/c'd sand rail frames lying everywhere.

At this time I didn't want to drop $2-3k on rims because I would rather spread the wealth around and buy other parts for my car instead. So I picked up some cheap 19's from sT04louis (who has posted on this thread) from here on the black market and had them p/c'd. I'm happy with the way they came out.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

What color did you end up going with?? Post a pic!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Lt. Gamble

What color did you end up going with?? Post a pic!

Pics will be up soon enough..
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine...still in winter mode...

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
`I was thinking about powder coating mine black but im not sure if I want a flat black or a cleared black rim. I have OEM's for the 05.
Does anyone have any pics of them either style pref SSM?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Premium User

Do not pay more than $100 per wheel for powdercoat. Obviously, if your wheels need work before they can be powdecoated, the price will be a little more. The average price I charged (in the past) per wheel was $80 including sandblasting per wheel. if there was damage to repair, that price was based on the severity of the damage.

The most I ever charged someone to powdercoat thier wheels was $125 per wheel to cover the center of the wheel black while leaving the lip polished. The rims were 28x10" for a H2 hummer.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced

I had my Cr Kais powercoated by wheel medic. They charged me $50 dollar a wheel. I wouldn't pay more than 60 a wheel unless you wheels needs straighted. Here are some pics. They did an Amazing Job BTW.