Where do you get your alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you get your alignment?

Just curious if you guys go to a local shop, or firestone, or evans, or some other big name places, etc. I went to a local shop (Trueline) which a lot of the local s2k ppl in my area go to. After I lowered my car a few weeks ago. I decided to check them out. Since I've heard good reviews about them and they specialize in lowered vehicles. The tech working on my car stated the fronts weren't off but not by much. The rears needed an alignment the most. But he said he wouldn't touch my car without an camber kit. Kinda frustrating for me. I never bothered checking out another shop since I took his word for it. I know anything pass 2" it's recommend to have a camber kit. I've done some reading online and talked to local guys in the car scene who are slammed and found out they still got an alignment without a camber kit. I just checked out my tires today and my rears are shot showing steel belts. Makes me sad because I just replaced my tires a few months ago. LoL anyways I got my rear chamber kit last week but trying to find a spot to install it (I don't have a garage or place to do so where I live). Hopefully I can get tires and an alignment this week.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the camber kit not as important as zeroing out your toe?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MIRANDA89
Isn't the camber kit not as important as zeroing out your toe?
yep. idk man. the tech wouldn't touch my car.
had he even attempted to fix the toe a lil bit im sure my tires wouldnt be as worn out
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
I would go somewhere else

Sounds like the tech is wanting to align your car back to within factory specs. I had camber kits installed on mine before getting an alignmemnt, but I spoke with the tech first and explained to him what I wanted and he was cool with whatever. I only got camber kits so I could dial everything in the same (Not to correct camber).

They could have at least corrected the TOE and you would still have some tread left on your tires. Good luck OP
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 539 Posts
I'll be going for a lifetime alignment at Firestone after I get my Tein SA on soon. There is a nearly brand new Firestone down the street from me with the right kind of lifts, so it should work out well. I plan on raising for winter and lowering for the rest of the year, so lifetime alignment makes the most sense for me.

But after I got my springs put on at a performance shop, I had them do the alignment too. Zero'ed out toe, obviously couldn't change camber. Makes no sense that they wouldn't touch the car just because they couldn't adjust camber. What if you had a totally stock car and just wanted an alignment? They wouldn't touch that either?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ended up using my local Acura dealership. I tried to set an appt with the "local" place that just installed new tires for me, but they didn't get back to me. Dealership ended costing about the same ($90) and ended up doing a great job. I am anal about my alignment and it was barely off, but enough to drive me nuts. Anyway, they got it corrected and my steering wheel is dead straight once again.

Don't know how a dealer would handle your car with it being lowered, but thought I would throw my experience out there.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
firestone lifetime alignment $150 OTD. in ground lifts, and if you find the right tech he'll have no problem setting your camber/toe whereever you want.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Blooze

Don't know how a dealer would handle your car with it being lowered, but thought I would throw my experience out there.
I tried my local dealership first...They said even with the ramp extenders, my car was too low to get on the ramp. They did recommend me a place right down the road that was cool with me bringing my own boards to drive on and being in the work area while they were doing my alignment.

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
if you find the right tech he'll have no problem setting your camber/toe whereever you want.
My tech let me stay there with him while he done my alignment. He said he would set everything wherever I wanted it at. I left him a $20 tip because he said he would take care of me if I needed to come back for anything.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^yup same here, i hit it off with the tech there and hung out with him in the garage the whole time. ended up seeing him at future car meets as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
OP,

If you car is lowered, a camber kit will be almost certainly be required if you want the rear camber to be in spec...

The original tech knew what he was talking about. There was no way for him to bring the rear camber into spec with it being lowered and without a rear camber kit installed.

And I'm going to guess that your rear tires went to hell in only a few months because your rear camber was way out of spec.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-05-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I use Firestone. Their lifetime alignment package went up to $179 though, as any thing does over time. Alignments usually run from $80-100 anyway, so in 2 alignments is basically pays for itself. The one I use doesn't have an in ground lift, but had pretty long, low profile ramps to drive up onto without a problem.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Drifting

^^Internet price is $169 on their website, so you should at least be able to get them down to that. I may go in and talk to the guy at mine again and see if he will work on that price at all.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
I go to a Firestone as well. I know the manager and the workers+owner have slammed cars so they know what they are doing. I got the life time alignment for $120 and they quoted me $40 to install the rear camber kit, they are also willing to do other stuff on the side.

I would not go to Acura dealer for anything. The dealer told me my car is too low and they can't do an oil change and wanted $180 to do an alignment.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Drifting

When did you get the lifetime alignment for $120? I saw they had it quite awhile back, wish the deal would come around again.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ TL-S
When did you get the lifetime alignment for $120? I saw they had it quite awhile back, wish the deal would come around again.
Like a few weeks ago. I didn't get the $120 deal I just got the "manager hookup" or thats what the manager said lol.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
I got quoted for their lifetime alignment for Firestone was like $200. The best he could do was $180.

I was like I'll take it to the dealer as they fixed the problem for a short while(2mos.) before my left pull came back. I think something is seriously wrong with my suspension as my tires are all evenly wearing out.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
Hey op your in socal right? Well it says san diego lol i would pm dstah he manage a shop called wheeltire wherehouse and does the alignment himself hell hook u up too i think i only paid 45. Theres also west end alignment which i heard is the best coz they do corner weight alignment and adjust your coils even if its a hair higher or lower than the other.. Acurate alignment in orange is good too. This is quite a drive from you but hey just a few shops that is legit in socal
Old 11-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Stopped in my local firestone after work today. Talked with the service manager, and got him to do the lifetime alignment for $149 if I scheduled the appt right then.

Weird thing is, he said that technically they aren't supposed to sell it for people using aftermarket suspensions. He let it happen, but he seemed a little uneasy about it. Hopefully it goes through. Anyone else experience this with them?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
I would go somewhere else
Yea I'm looking around for other places. Might try firestone since they offer the lifetime. thanks!

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
OP,

If you car is lowered, a camber kit will be almost certainly be required if you want the rear camber to be in spec...

The original tech knew what he was talking about. There was no way for him to bring the rear camber into spec with it being lowered and without a rear camber kit installed.

And I'm going to guess that your rear tires went to hell in only a few months because your rear camber was way out of spec.
a camber kit isn't always needed. depends how much of a drop you go. he might not have been able to bring it to specs but he could have adjusted the toe a bit. i've seen other cars lowered without a camber kit and still get an alignment done. camber does wear out your tires but NOT as much as toe. toe is the main factor. Mr. Marcus from heeltoe has a tech article about camber kits that discuss tire wear

Originally Posted by k1x
Hey op your in socal right? Well it says san diego lol i would pm dstah he manage a shop called wheeltire wherehouse and does the alignment himself hell hook u up too i think i only paid 45. Theres also west end alignment which i heard is the best coz they do corner weight alignment and adjust your coils even if its a hair higher or lower than the other.. Acurate alignment in orange is good too. This is quite a drive from you but hey just a few shops that is legit in socal
haha yea so cal. i'll check them out if my local firestone cant do my alignment. I know some firestone, evans, pepboys, etc shy away from lowered cars around here. thanks for the info!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
^its all good bro and oh yeah all of their alignment machines are lowered friendly!!!