Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Wheel Alignment

Hello Everyone,

I recently posted threads concerning the abnormal wear of my HPT tires and the weird rear suspension feel. The Acura dealer checked the alignment and claimed that everything was within factory specs - meanwhile they couldn't explain the abnormal rear tire wear. They did however, make a small adjustment to the front alignment.

Not being satisfied with this I asked my local people for a recommendation on a good alignment shop. I took my TL in yesterday and had it them look at it: They showed me the factory specs as displayed by their Hunter Alignment Machine and the TOE on the rear tires was almost a full degree off. The alignment technician couldn't believe it! The TOE on the front suspension was slightly off as well. He said this would cause: 1) abnormal rear tire wear; 2) reduced fuel mileage and 3) weird rear suspension behaviour.

I had them make both the front and rear alignment adjustments. What a difference! The rear suspension weirdness is gone - when you go over bumps the car's suspension absorbs them instead of doing a weird hop; The car tracks better on the highway; The car seems to coast more easily as well.

I'm saving all of my receipts to make a claim against Acura after I've put 20K miles on a new set of tires (with proper wear paterns) to show that there was a problem after all.

Anyone have any luck with TOYO Proxes 4??? I need to replace all four HPT tires at 13.5K miles.

Thanks,
TL-Rocket

PM me for specific info on the dealers and alignment shop involved.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think several people have had very good luck with the Proxes. Talk to db252, he's got them for sure.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL_Rocket, I had the same issues. Your alignment (namely the toe) was most likely the culprit. Check out this thread.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
TL_Rocket, I had the same issues. Your alignment (namely the toe) was most likely the culprit. Check out this thread.
Did you finally get the rear Toe adjusted?

As you read, I did have mine adjusted and the car is transformed: It tracks properly on the highway; there's no more weird rearend hop when you go over bumps; and the car coasts better.

I'm wondering how the Acura techs could have missed that? Were they not paying attention, or were their copy of the factory specs incorrect?

TL-Rocket