What tire do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
What tire do you prefer?

What size, brand,model, price, where you purchased, tire do you like or prefer, and for what reason.

Looking for good reasons to purchase the tire you have

Do you like the tire because it rides great, or gets great mileage, or because the cost to quality ratio is great. Or did you consider the weight of your tire important. Did you buy a specific tire because of looks?

Whatever reason or reasons, is the factor. Did you decide from reviews from Tirerack or other dealers. Thankyou for your opinions.

SORRY for the theater picture. I have been trying to delete???
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I'm certain this thread, and many like it, will generate numerous responses as most will be very enthusiastic about the tires on their vehicle.
I thought the Sumitomo tires on the TL when purchased were decent, as they are constructed well, have a wide tread, but the ride was harder then we liked, but for a retail $90, not a bad deal if someone was looking for an inexpensive replacement.

Even though they have about 80% tread remaining, I wanted different tires for the Acura chrome wheels I purchased, mainly because of the ride quality. Did a great deal of research, yes TireRack, and wanted a tire with longevity, non-summer tire, so a few weeks ago I went with the Yokohama S.4 245/45-17. Much-improved ride, crisp handling, good rim protection, with a good looking wide directional tread, but naturally not as wide as some summer tires. I paid $199 each, installed at a local tire dealer, and that included mounting, balancing, chrome valves, but not tax.

Plenty of tires out there to choose from, and as most are quality, it just boils down to personal preference e.g. longevity rating, all season, summer, size, cost, ride quality, noise level etc.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on the 04 A-spec 18x8.5s. My tire size is 245/40 18s and I love them. I read everything I could find when I was first looking at performance tires and these seeming like the best tire out there. I wanted good wet and dry performance and I wanted them to be quiet - these tires fit the bill. This is actually the third set I have had, first one was on my integra gs-r, second on my RSX type-S, and now this set on my TL. After I got my first set both Car and Driver and Consumer Reports as well as some other auto magazines came out with performance tests and the Goodyear Eagle F1s won is all of them that I saw. My own experience plus those tests made the second and third purchases a no brainer, plus they look sweet. As far as price goes they are middle of the road but they have one of the highest wear ratings you can find, so they will last. If you are looking for performance tires read this Car and Driver article and you will see that the F1s really are the best all around tire - and price is factored into their results. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10252
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Pretty much a pointless thread as everyone has different opinions...not to mention, the same question has been asked a hundred times. Considering this along with some of your other posts, it's almost as if you don't want to do any leg work on your own . Is it really that hard to scan through user reviews on Tire Rack and/or 1010tires.com? You'll get many more opinions/thoughts on those sites than you will here.

For what it's worth, Toyo Proxes 4.

As for the pic of your home theater, click on My Account at the top of any page, click on Signature on the left, delete the link in the signature box and click save. Oh, and it looks like a nice loud set up .
Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Pretty much a pointless thread as everyone has different opinions...not to mention, the same question has been asked a hundred times. Considering this along with some of your other posts, it's almost as if you don't want to do any leg work on your own . Is it really that hard to scan through user reviews on Tire Rack and/or 1010tires.com? You'll get many more opinions/thoughts on those sites than you will here.

For what it's worth, Toyo Proxes 4.

As for the pic of your home theater, click on My Account at the top of any page, click on Signature on the left, delete the link in the signature box and click save. Oh, and it looks like a nice loud set up .
You are VERY RUDE. I have done alot of research at Tirerack and many other places. And yes opinions do count. If you don't have anything nice to say, or good to add, just go to another thread.

You don't even know me to say I don't do legwork. I am very active and go all over in person checking ouy everything I can see in person. I even drove 85 miles 1 way to see a Volk wheel IN PERSON. Sorry if I allowed you to push my buttons, but if you don't want to add to this, just go somewhere else.

Should of just put Toyo Proxes 4 and be done with it.

Thanks for the picture delete info.
Thanks for the nice comments, I just got off work to see what you said. I NEED A BEER
Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its all about what your driving conditions and style are
We can each tell you what we own- but that us

The person who made a comment was saying there is so much info on this board- that a new thread with basic question that has been discussed over and over...well that could be considered not doing your homework

We are all here to help each other but we do need specifics
the same would apply if you said what brakes are best- 10 opinions- all valid for different drivers
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 5,937 Likes on 2,928 Posts
This thread IS a solicitation of opinions...what's wrong with that? Obviously, the OP knew he'd receive differing opinions across the board; that's why he posted, to get new ideas. Frankly, I'm interested to see some of the various posts as well if I am ever able to upgrade to the A-Spec wheels I'd like to get on my car. Keep posting! And to the OP - don't let some bonehead ruin the thread for you.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

these tires don't get enough respect on this forum. If you need an all season radial that needs to be able to handle wet weather and cold weather (light snow) traction, these are about as good as it gets for an Ultra High Performance All season Tire.

I have 45K miles on them and I am not the easiest driver. They have lived up to all my expectations. With that being said, they are not the cheapest (about $185 each, installed without road hazzard).

I am now getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - my Brother-in-law's TL has them and they are performing well. Due to Costco's sale and Merchant's willingness to price match, I can get the Michelins for a lower price than the Pirellis, if you include the road hazzard.

I also like to rotate and re-balance quite often and the shop that sells the Pirellis near my house does not offer lifetime balancing, which is a show stopper for me. I originally got my Pirellis from Merchants, but I can no longer get them from them.

If you need all season performance, you cannot get much better than either of these two tires.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i'm pretty sure that goodyear, michelin, bfg and falken are slightly oversized. this isn't really a problem or anything but consider it if you are dropped and rubbing using one of these brands, or want the extra proctection using the same size.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
My winter tires are good all year - 205 60 16 Michelin MX PLus
and for fun
Hancook traction AAA treadwear 100 race car takes offs hehehehehehe
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like so many other TLS owners, I really am not happy with the look of the OEM TLS wheels. This prompted me to delve into a search for replacements. I just ordered a new wheel and tire package from Tire Rack, and while I spent literally DAYS reading all the tire reviews I could find on multiple tire vendor sites, there were not a lot of TL owner reviews for UHPAS tires. So I certainly would have appreciated more input from other TL guys about tire performance as related to OUR vehicle. So I for one think this post has value.

I was searching for (and I hope I found) a package that will suit my driving style and needs. I would classify my style of driving as spirited, but I rarely if ever 'race' or press the car to it's limits. Seems every time I try to really accellerate around here, there's a cop lurking ready to nail me (already got my first warning ticket)! So in my real world, I need a year-round, daily driver tire that will allow me to push the car through off-ramps and turns whenever I get the chance, but remain comfortable on long rides and get me through bad weather. I do NOT want a harsh ride, since this is my only car and we take it on many longer drives in all types of weather.

Living in the midwest, there is no way I can imagine not having all-season tires. I do not want to go through the hassle or expense of seasonal wheel swaps. I also want to maintain as much of the luxury ride as I could out of my TLS as possible while still being able to expect some respectable performance. Also since we get a fair amount of snow in this area, I decided that I will not be lowering my suspension. I do not want to be snowplowing with my front bumper!

Based on all of that I decided to stay with an 18" wheel, and to find a good set of UHPAS tires to fit. After I looked at all the ratings I could find for UHPAS tires, I chose to order a set of Moda MD1 18X8 wheels wrapped in 325/40/18 Continental ContiExtremeContact UHPAS tires. These tires are very well priced, I didn't find a lot of negative comments about them in owner reviews, and most said they were fantastic all-around rubber. I sure hope they were right!

I won't know how well they perform until they arrive here...Tire Rack says they'll ship them on 08/08. Fingers are offically crossed.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Pro

Since the Toyo Proxes were brought up I have to say that I had those tires and they were not all that great. I liked them in the dry but just terrible in the rain and since I live in a place were it rains I wouldn't buy these tires. They also became EXTREMELY noisy as the tread began to wear down.

On a side note I think that chill_dog's comment on this tread was why off. I think that the "ratings" on tirerack and 1010tire can only go so far. Guys write those responses a short time after they get the tire and everything seems great...down the road they may find things they didn't like but they don't show in the ratings. I put a lot of stock in tests done by magazines because they test all the tires on the same car with the same conditions and there is a mathamatical winner. That having been said those tests cant speak to the way those tires will be down the road but I think that they give you a good idea about what to look for in a tire.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by stevenr
I am now getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - my Brother-in-law's TL has them and they are performing well. Due to Costco's sale and Merchant's willingness to price match, I can get the Michelins for a lower price than the Pirellis, if you include the road hazzard.

I also like to rotate and re-balance quite often and the shop that sells the Pirellis near my house does not offer lifetime balancing,
How long has your brother has the Pilot Sport A/S? I'm curious how fast they wear out on the TL, because on my G35, my rears went bald after 20,000 miles. I suppose not being able to rotate may have contributed to that, that's why I'm curious.

As far as lifetime balancing and such, you can get your tires from America's Tire Company. (aka as Discount Tire Company in some parts of the country). They price-match any brick & mortar store including Costco, and offer lifetime balance/rotation/etc.

(They somewhat price match Tire Rack, as they will give you Tire Rack price + $20, because the Tire Rack price does not include shipping, mounting, etc.

I just got the Bridestone Potenza RE960AS on all my cars, and so far I love them. They seam to stick to the road just as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S they replaced, but as a neat added benafit they have a 40,000 miles warranty.

I don't know if anyone cares, but these tires are the easiest to apply tire gel to as well, because the sidewall is almost completely flat/smooth.

Because I got a set of 4 tires on my G35, I actually have a set of 2 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (in 245/40-18) that I'm looking to sell. They have 8/32" of tread left. (They used to be the front tires of my G35). I posted about them in the classified section, including pictures, if anyone is interested.

Our TL has 17" stock rims, so I can't use them on our TL.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Continental ContiExtremeContact UHPAS tires. These tires are very well priced, I didn't find a lot of negative comments about them in owner reviews, and most said they were fantastic all-around rubber. I sure hope they were right!
I had those on my other car. I loved those tires. Best snow grip of any all/season tire I've ever owned... I've had to rescue my wife a few times with that car wearing those tires, because the wife got stuck in the snow with her 2G and 3G TL every winter for the last 3 years.

The only negative comment I had about those tires, was that the steering response wasn't as good as the Yokohama tires I had previously to it. Cornering stability was still tight as hell, it was just that the response seemed a little mushy... However, I blame that on the size of tire I had, because at the time, this tire only came in a V-Rating for the 60 series tire I was running on that car. When I looked at getting them for the TL, the 45 series tires were W-rated.

They seemed to be pretty good in terms of wear too, as I got about 35,000 miles out of them. I think I could've gone about another 5,000 - 8,000 miles before they were truly done, with one more rotation, because only 2 of the 4 were at the wear bars.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
My winter tires are good all year - 205 60 16 Michelin MX PLus
You're not talking about the MXV4+ tires are you? Those tires are the worst tires I've ever run. Aside from being the stock tire on our old 2G TL, I had them on my other car. I hated them so much, I took them off after only 500 miles. I couldn't find anyone to sell em' to, so I ended up giving them away for free....

Those tires have terrible wet traction, and terrible cornering performance. My wife got stuck several times in the snow with those tires too.

There are several better choices in tires for the price than the Energy MXV4+.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by avs007
I had those on my other car. I loved those tires. Best snow grip of any all/season tire I've ever owned... I've had to rescue my wife a few times with that car wearing those tires, because the wife got stuck in the snow with her 2G and 3G TL every winter for the last 3 years.

The only negative comment I had about those tires, was that the steering response wasn't as good as the Yokohama tires I had previously to it. Cornering stability was still tight as hell, it was just that the response seemed a little mushy... However, I blame that on the size of tire I had, because at the time, this tire only came in a V-Rating for the 60 series tire I was running on that car. When I looked at getting them for the TL, the 45 series tires were W-rated.

They seemed to be pretty good in terms of wear too, as I got about 35,000 miles out of them. I think I could've gone about another 5,000 - 8,000 miles before they were truly done, with one more rotation, because only 2 of the 4 were at the wear bars.
AVS...Thanks so much for the comments, I feel great about having ordered the Conti's now. A lot of reviewers on Tire Rack had similar comments. In the size I ordered they're W rated, so I might get lucky in the response. I'm willing to sacrifice a LITTLE performance to use one set of rubber year-round, but my guess is that since I'm going from 17's to 18's the lower profile sidewall will make up for any loss of response. I can't imagine them being much different from the stock Michelins, and may even be a bit better. Still can't believe they sell for only $128 each....hey if they suck I can toss 'em after a season or two.

STEVENR....I'm curious to hear about the Pilot Sport A/S on the TL. They're pricier than the Contis, but I had them on my Maxima and they kicked ass on that car. REALLY improved the ride quality, sound level, and handling over the stock crappy Bidgestones that were OEM. The Pilots were OK in the snow, but not great...never got stuck but had to be pretty cautious. All around a really good tire...but that was 5 years ago, and not so sure anymore about them being the same.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was looking for tires I decided to do a comparative analysis of all the Tire Rack testing and my results are still available at http://home.comcast.net/~jherick/TL/tires.htm

I live where there is no snow, wanted a softer ride and was willing to give up a little handling. I am very satisfied with my Yokohama H4S tires.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=avs007]How long has your brother has the Pilot Sport A/S? I'm curious how fast they wear out on the TL, because on my G35, my rears went bald after 20,000 miles. I suppose not being able to rotate may have contributed to that, that's why I'm curious.

My 2001 CL type "S"'s last set of Michelin Pilot A/S's went 55,000.
I had them installed on my '05 TL before taking delivery. They lasted 46,000 and had at least 10-20% left in them, but wanted to go from 235/45/17 to 245/40/17's to get "the look".

'05 TL 6MT NBP
A-Spec suspension
K&N Typhoon intake
245/40/17ZR Michelin Pilot A/S's
Debadged rear
V1 on the lookout
Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Very Cool. Nice reading and opinions. Many people need to know as much as possilbe. Short term tests don't tell the whole story.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Advanced

Tirerack Survey for Ultra performance all seasons have the Yokohama Advan S4s in the number one slot followed by the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 960's.

They are so closely matched it would proably be personal preference by category. Has anyone run the Yokohama Advan S4 on their Type S?

I doubt you could go wrong with either one of these,
Especially if you could convince your latest squeeze to pay for them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bcc335
Tirerack Survey for Ultra performance all seasons have the Yokohama Advan S4s in the number one slot followed by the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 960's.

They are so closely matched it would proably be personal preference by category. Has anyone run the Yokohama Advan S4 on their Type S?

I doubt you could go wrong with either one of these,
Especially if you could convince your latest squeeze to pay for them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
Thanks brah. Not cheap, but quality is #1. I didn't see 245/35/19 on the Yoko
Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced

Pilot Sport A/S

Chicagoburbs,

Just put on the Pilot Sport A/S yesterday. Tires are very quiet. Of course, they have improved ride quality over the old Pirellis with 45K on them, but I would not say that they are much different than when the Pirellis were new, but I was coming from those crappy EL42s back then and anything would have felt better.

They give great wet traction as it rained quite hard and I had no problems pulling out into traffic under spirited acceleration.

Regarding your recent tire purchase, I would switch my tire from the Continental to the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S for a modest change in price. I also get a bit a snow here and these tires did about as good of a job as you could expect. In the mountains of Western MD, they get over 100" per year. I travel there quite a bit and these tires never let me down. Of course, one must use common sense, but on snow covered roads, going up reasonably steep hills, I was able to get to my winter place every time.

These tires also gave me 45K GOOD miles. My only experience with Continentals is not this exact tire (Contitac Sport, i believe), but these things are terrible in the wet. Actually, they are worse than the Bridgestone EL42 that came on the TL. Maybe the Extreme's are better, but I can tell you from personal experience the Pzero M+S are excellent and I would have gotten them again if it would not have been such a pain to do so.

Steve
Old 06-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a set of Bridgestone Potenzas S03's pole positions. Amazing handling in wet/dry...but too bad they are discontinuted now. I got them last year when they were having a huge clearance on them...got them for like $110/tire shipped.

I decided on tires based on the reviews at TireRack...i forgot which tires Bridgestone replaced with the S03's, but they have pretty good ratings too if I remember correctly.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Drifting

My only experience with Continentals is not this exact tire (Contitac Sport, i believe), but these things are terrible in the wet. Actually, they are worse than the Bridgestone EL42 that came on the TL. Maybe the Extreme's are better, but I can tell you from personal experience the Pzero M+S are excellent and I would have gotten them again if it would not have been such a pain to do so.

Steve
Yeah, I thought the same thing, when I heard about those kinds of reviews about wet traction, when I got my contis... But the Extremes don't suffer that problem. I've driven them through torrential down-pours, and they didn't miss a beat.

Similar to the Michelin Pilots... The Pilot MXM's that came on the TL are crap in terms of wet handling, but the Pilot Sport A/S I got later were terrific, albeit spendy...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

OEMs were EL42's which were noisy and I got only 20k miles. Then had the kumho ecsta asx and found they had incredible grip but rode hard and wore out in 25k miles (getting better...!) Now I'm trying the hankook ventus v4 and they are really quiet and smoother than the kumhos and EL42s. They have a break-in of about 500 miles during which they are squishy, but now with 1000 miles they are grippy enough - not as good as the kumhos, but much quieter and smoother. Milage claim on the hankook is 40k (kumho was 30k) so if I get 35k, I will be happy. Best part was the price- only $75 per tire at Pep Boys on a 3 for the price of 4 sale (regular price $99).
Old 06-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I love my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I'm surprised that not many people have them.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I love my Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I'm surprised that not many people have them.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Stevelit,

Keep us up to date on the Hankook and how they perform, wet, dry and light snow as well as mileage wear. Heck for $300 I could change them every 15K and still be ahead over the Pilot A/S I just put on. I typically don't go cheap on tires as I am on the road quite a bit and $900 is cheap insurance if it keeps you from having an accident, but if I can save $600 every 40K miles, I will take it.

Heck, in the last two months, Michelin got $1800 of my green ($900 for my wife's Suburban and $900 for the TL).
Old 06-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Pro

FIRST...JD, this thread turned out being pretty useful to me, I'm glad you tossed it up there! Thanks bruddah.

OK, after reading everyone's input on tires as relating to TL...I decided that I'm changing to the Yokahama Advan S4's over the Conti's. Not THAT big of price difference and rated quite a bit higher in most categories.

Thanks all for the good input.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
FIRST...JD, this thread turned out being pretty useful to me, I'm glad you tossed it up there! Thanks bruddah.

OK, after reading everyone's input on tires as relating to TL...I decided that I'm changing to the Yokahama Advan S4's over the Conti's. Not THAT big of price difference and rated quite a bit higher in most categories.

Thanks all for the good input.
Thanks much I have been reading and sitting by the side. That way I can let it go its own way.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Stevelit,

Keep us up to date on the Hankook and how they perform, wet, dry and light snow as well as mileage wear. Heck for $300 I could change them every 15K and still be ahead over the Pilot A/S I just put on. I typically don't go cheap on tires as I am on the road quite a bit and $900 is cheap insurance if it keeps you from having an accident, but if I can save $600 every 40K miles, I will take it.

Heck, in the last two months, Michelin got $1800 of my green ($900 for my wife's Suburban and $900 for the TL).
If you're looking for an inexpensive tire, take a look at the Sumitomo specs ($90), 235 or 245/45-17. They were put on the TL after I had the dealer switch the nicked wheels with perfect wheels/tires from another car. They are manufactured with a wide section and tread width, handled well in the dry and rain, but gave a harder ride than I liked; hence I went with the S.4's. Still have the wheels and tires in the garage, and after looking at them yesterday, they have a nice tread design and also are non-directional which affords some latitude in rotation.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by calgary2800

The Exalto does not meet the minimum speed rating requirement for the TL.
My wife has them on her '01 Celica though, and loves them.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
9th Gear

Hi.

I'll say up-front I am a novice to these kind of blogs, having only posted once before 2 yrs ago. And i see that people sometimes get up tight when someone asks dumb questions.

But, if you are willing, I could use some advice. I have a 2005 TL with 22500 miles and tires Plus just said they need to be replaced. I don't have as much time as i used to to research things because i basically work 7-7 daily.

I commute on the highway at about 75-80mph, otherwise a medium conservative driver. Objective is to get a good replacment tire that is safe, handles my type of driving well, lasts longer than 20k miles, and is reasonable cost or at least value for the quality. I am in PA so we get rains, some snow and want an all seaosn.

In the past i have used H's on other cars like my old Legend. Is it unwise saftery wise to convert to H's?

Could i get a few reccomendations as to good tires given my driving styel and objectives listed above?

thank you. I will also look at this tirerack site people mentioned.

thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bartruffian
Hi.

I'll say up-front I am a novice to these kind of blogs, having only posted once before 2 yrs ago. And i see that people sometimes get up tight when someone asks dumb questions.

But, if you are willing, I could use some advice. I have a 2005 TL with 22500 miles and tires Plus just said they need to be replaced. I don't have as much time as i used to to research things because i basically work 7-7 daily.

I commute on the highway at about 75-80mph, otherwise a medium conservative driver. Objective is to get a good replacment tire that is safe, handles my type of driving well, lasts longer than 20k miles, and is reasonable cost or at least value for the quality. I am in PA so we get rains, some snow and want an all seaosn.

In the past i have used H's on other cars like my old Legend. Is it unwise saftery wise to convert to H's?

Could i get a few reccomendations as to good tires given my driving styel and objectives listed above?

thank you. I will also look at this tirerack site people mentioned.

thanks
Sounds like you don't hammer too hard on your TL, and that you don't really need UHP (ultra-high perfomance) tires for your driving style. You can check out Tire Rack and input your vehicle, and when it comes time, just select high-performance, performance or even grand touring as your search criteria from the categories below.

Ultra High Performance All-Season
High Performance All-Season
Performance All-Season
Grand Touring All-Season
Standard Touring All-Season
Passenger All-Season
Winter

Once you've read the reviews, survey and test results, select a few tires in your price range and then give them a call. They're pretty knowlegable and will help guide you to the tires that will suit you best.

You can then either buy them from Tire Rack, or check out local merchants for the best price.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
9th Gear

05 TL tires

thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I stopped by an Acura dealer at lunch and they suggested Sumitomo HTR+ 235/45r/17 93w...for$475 for 4 out the door plus tax. Seems like a good option.

Anyone tried the ContiProContact consumer Reports reccomends?

Would i rsik any safety going from a W up to a V or H for better tread life?

thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

I have 45K miles on them and I am not the easiest driver. They have lived up to all my expectations. With that being said, they are not the cheapest (about $185 each, installed without road hazzard).

Come on now 45K. That can't be right.

I've replace tires three times and I only have 36k on my car.

I'll be luck to get 15k out of my Dunlop's this go round, got 12k out of my Michelin Sports and about the same with my Falkens.

The TL eats tires, how have you managed to get that kind of tireware?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
My Daily Driver

Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions.

Had them on my S2000 (OEM on 04 and newer) and loved them.

Just got them put on my 19's at aq local firestone dealer, and so far they are great!!!

Rated #1 on TireRack under Max Performance Summer.

They have great wet/dry traction, no snow traction for obvious reasons, but I had them on in that snowstorm we got at the end of march, and honestly, for a summer tire, I was surprised they performed how they did.

Sticky, solid, fairly quiet, predictable for breaking point, and decent tread life for a summer max performance tire.

All total, with a 25% discount, they were $990 installed with tax. A bit on the expensive side, but considering I would have paid $245 each from TireRack plus another $30 in shipping, thats $1010 just for the tires, not including mount and balance which I found to be in the $90-120 range at various shops. I pretty much saved about $300 going that route. Plus I bought blizzaks in the same week, so I got 6 months no interest on my $1600 tire purchase!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

Yoko V4s

I put Yokohoma Avid V4s on my '99 TL a few months ago, as a replacement for Goodyear Comfortreds (not good) which were replacements for Goodyear Tripletreds (not good), which replaced the Michelin Energy MXV4 (all 205/60-16). (No laughter, please, my days of spirited driving are mostly over now that there's a baby seat in the back!) The Yokos seem to have pretty good grip, haven't had a chance to drive them in any snow yet. Mileage has been about 19 city, 30 highway.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bartruffian
Would i rsik any safety going from a W up to a V or H for better tread life?
thanks
Most tire shops will not let you downgrade your tires in that regard. If the car came with W-rated tires from the factory, they'll usually only install W-rated tires, because of liability, because the speed limiter is programmed for a w-rated tire.

Besides, the speed rating won't really dictate what the tread-life is. My W-rated Yokohama AVS db tires lasted 40,000 miles, but my H-Rated Goodyear Eagle-RSA tires only lasted 25,000 miles, on the same car.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tapremlap
I put Yokohoma Avid V4s on my '99 TL a few months ago, as a replacement for Goodyear Comfortreds (not good) which were replacements for Goodyear Tripletreds (not good), which replaced the Michelin Energy MXV4 (all 205/60-16). (No laughter, please, my days of spirited driving are mostly over now that there's a baby seat in the back!)
UltraHighPerformance tires aren't all about spirited driving, all season canyon carving, etc. Tires that have superior grip for acceleration/handling, also have superior grip for braking, which is always important, even if you don't drive fast and have kids in the back.

Put on a pair of K-Mart blue-light specials, and I gaurantee that you'll have much longer braking distances than if you had a pair of Advan S4 or RE960AS.

My wife even noticed she can brake much harder without activating the ABS when she upgraded from the stock pilots to the RE960AS in her TL.

I remember a while back Tirerack was doing comparisons of braking distances with various class of tires, and they showed that some of the UHP tires had shorter braking distances even when the ABS was disabled, and the tires were fully-locked and sliding, then some of the lower-tier tires regardless if the ABS was engaged or not.

(In these particular tests, most of the tires had shorter stopping distances with the ABS engaged then disengaged)

Quick Reply: What tire do you prefer?