What is this sound???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What is this sound???

When my i accelerate from a stop sign at normal speeds, and more so when im making a turn, I hear a creekin sound that hapens when my front end comes up on the acceleration.....The sound happens again when I come to a stop at normal speeds...2006 tl BTW

I loose sleep over thinkning abot this because im paranoid about last time i had this sound

i had this same sound but the sound was more noticeable on my 2000 tl long story short....my lower left ball joint broke on me going about 50mph....riped out my drive shaft too....need less to say it was a shity weekend.

Can anbody put some experiance or logic into making guess on what might be wrong?

what would you do?
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
It could very well be a ball joint.

Other things could be is top hats or shocks or swaybar bushings.

Just the fact that you said creaking and not squeaking and it happens mosly when turning and when the front end rises really sounds like a ball joint. I had this same issue with mine and mine failed resulting in the same sort of failure you talk about. Mine was actually improper installation but still, I would get it checked out.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
06 ThugLuv

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It could very well be a ball joint.

Other things could be is top hats or shocks or swaybar bushings.

Just the fact that you said creaking and not squeaking and it happens mosly when turning and when the front end rises really sounds like a ball joint. I had this same issue with mine and mine failed resulting in the same sort of failure you talk about. Mine was actually improper installation but still, I would get it checked out.
Thanks man thats a helpful response...Im just gonne replace the ball joints.. then after hat imma check out the other parts you mentioned
Old 12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Yea ball joints are nothing to play around with as you already have experience with this in the past. They are pretty cheap considering its for your safety.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
i get the same creaking sound as well when accelerating from a stop and then coming to a stop, but not when turning. the sound is more pronounced when its cold out compared to when its warm. i currently have 60k on my '04 TL. would this be related to the front lower ball joint? or is this related to the compliance bushing?

Last edited by wilztlxs; 12-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
2004 NBP TL 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
PM'd.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
06 ThugLuv

Originally Posted by wilzrsx
i get the same creaking sound as well when accelerating from a stop and then coming to a stop, but not when turning. the sound is more pronounced when its cold out compared to when its warm. i currently have 60k on my '04 TL. would this be related to the front lower ball joint? or is this related to the compliance bushing?
Well when i say turn I meen i hear it a little more when my front end comes up while turning...but deffinatly have the same nosie in the weather you talked about...at 60k a ball joint shouldnt be bad with no abuse, but you never know..i have 78k on my 2006 tl....but i hit a pot hole dip combo that im sure messed up everything....im telling you though, i had the same exact nosie on my 2000 tl wich has identical suspention and my ball joint broke on me. so thats why im soo worried. honestly brother you should be too!

I got these new ball joints on order mentioned in the ball joint post before this one...there MOOG and they are a new part..the guy at the part store said MOOG is a soild brand..id take OEM but im going to give these a shot....i want this taken care of by friday for sure...so ill keep this thread up to date with my ball joint journey....

One thing in the positive this is a learning experiance for me..im going to look into the compliance bushings you had mentioned...im tellin you man im super paranoid driven to work on these san diego roads....
Old 12-06-2010, 03:22 PM
06 ThugLuv

So i took her into my trusty mech and he drove it and he did say he heard the sound that i hear..more so on a turn while accelerating from a stop...but he put it on the lift n we looked at everything...no seals were bad and did the 12 n six o'clock pulls and everything was tight, and bounce the front end also and it’s not the struts or top hats..

but it’s that same sound from my 2000 tl which had the lower ball joint failure.....so I’m going with my gut and for precaution, i have the better MOOG lower ball joints on order...there only about 40 a piece..so when those come in I’m going to have him install them and get my tranny service also..just about that time at 78k miles...but any way, after the new joints...I’m gonna drive it and if i hear the creaking sound still I’m gonna replace the uppers.....if i still have the sound ima debate the a-arm bushings or my CV's.......but I don’t think its my CV's cuz if those are bad i think its more of a clicking not a creaking sound....

I’m gonna post every step on this thread and hopefully posting my experience on here will help other honda/acura fans with the same problems.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but bump for details on the parts replaced? I almost feel as though I have a similar sound under similar circumstances. Thanks

-J