What setup is better for Chicago winters??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What setup is better for Chicago winters??

Hey guys, I got an '07 ASM TL-S... Now that it's finally gettin closer to spring, whats the better choice? Should I do a spring and shock combo (H&R Sport Springs and Tokico Blue Shocks or Tein S-Tech Springs and Tokico Blue Shocks) or Tein SS Coils? From what I've heard, the highest the SS' will take me, is still about an inch drop from stock. And the spring and shock combo will be about an inch and a half drop. But I do like the ability to lay it a little lower with the coils in better weather. So considering I have to deal with Chicago winters, I need some input about whats better! Another factor is, that I'm probably gonna be goin with 19's, since theres so many potholes, I think 20's (even though I love the look), might be more hazardous for the rims! Whats your opinion guys???
Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I live near Gurnee and am almost 100% sure I am getting Tein SS. The lowering range is 0.9"-2.5" lower. I have done the "Springs Only" before and DID NOT like it. I will probably install Tein SS myself as I now know how to take the entire trunk carpet/back seat out. I will probably lower my 06 TL manual about 1.2" F&R and level it. The only thing about installing myself is the spring/shock using the same OEM top hat. That means I would have to rent a spring compressor, which I don't want to do. Mr. Heeltoe said he can set the Tein SS at the height I want with Tein tophats and springs already on ready for a simple install. I was quoted at a speedshop 2 miles from me that he will install Tein SS with OEM tophats for $1450 out the door. Now I must find out how much the Tein SS cost with new Tein tophats and shipping. I have read the Tein tophats are better then OEM, which I know NOTHING about.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man, I appreciate the input! I was leanin toward the TEIN coils too. I'm probably gonna just go for it. Maybe I'll even pick up a 4x4 winter mobile!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
welll, i would ay it depends on how often you drive your car and what is your goal of modding your car.....

Chicago winter are not friendly. potholes, salt, and snow can be pretty brutal on your car. and thus far we usually get alot of snow. being slammed will not benefit you...lol. BUT having tein ss gives you the option to raise or lower the car AND adjust the dampening factor.

i was considering tein ss but the cost and praticality of the application didnt suit my needs. my TL is a daily driver not to mention the fiance gets behnd the wheel so being too low cant be an option for me. lol. thus i went with the a-spec suspension so i can still get the great handling with a very subtle more so moderate drop. personally, i wouldnt go with the spring shock combo as you will have to play around with the settings alot to get it exactly where you want it in terms of handling and ride comfort. damn this was long....lol....sorry but yea... my $.02
Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Agree^^ Thats why I intend to lower on Tein SS in the winter about the highest, about 1" lower F&R. In the summer I might lower it a little more, like 1.5", just enough to not need a camber kit, just get a good alignment twice a year.