I have the stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires, they really don't handle

that good when pushing them, without getting a separate set of wheels

for summer with summer tires, whats the best all season tire that handles

better the these HX MXM4 tires. They can't keep up with the cars handling

to say the least.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Well, I'm certain you'll open the flood gates on this thread.
I have the Yokokama Advan S.4 245/45-17. Great tire, nice tread width, actually wider than the GY F1 all season, but a little pricey. I would look into the Yokohama W4s they came out with a short time ago. Never had them, but probably the widest tread width at 9.2" of any 245/45-17, and rated one of the best.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I've spent a huge amount of time researching the issue of tires as I live in western Canada where it's snowy and icy. As well we have the Rocky Mountains, which will push any tire to it's limits summer or winter!! It's an absolute blast pushing the car to its limit for miles on end around hair pin curves etc.

Anyway the answer to your question, I have not found a tire that is excellent for summer and winter. I've gone with Nokian all weather tires (not all season) and they are an excellent compromise between performance and handling in VERY poor winter conditions.

John
Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Don't know about use in the snow - we don't get enough to matter. I don't like the MXM4 either and am doing whatever I can to wear 'em out as fast as possible.

However, we recently got Bridgestone Potenza 960AS Pole Positions for our other TL. I like 'em so far. Very highly rated, along with the the Advan S.4.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the Advan S.4.'s because they got a slightly higher rating in snow. Turns out they're fantastic in dry / wet weather too. Snow...yet to be seen!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The new Goodyear Eagle F1's, hands down!
Best tires I've ever owned.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagleF1AS_innov.html
Old 10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I've run a bunch of different A/S tires, so here's my 2 cents on each of them:

Continential ContiExtreme Contact:
Best handling A/S tire I've ever run in the snow. I ascended the hill to our house in 8" of snow without problems. A little on the noisy side. Dry handling is not as crisp as other ultra high performance all season tires I've run. They seem to have the same limits of adhesion, the response is just a little muddy.

Goodyear Eagle-RSA: Crap. Don't even consider

Michelin Energy MXV4 Energy Plus: Crap. Don't even consider. Wife got stuck in the snow more times than I can remember. Wet handling was garbage.

Yokohama AVS db2:
Very quiet tire, and impressive handling....... When new...After about 20,000 miles, these tires started to become a little scary when wet, as they started becoming more prone to hydroplaining. Snow traction was decent, but I've had better. I replaced these tires at about 30,000 miles, and I could've easily gotten another 10k out of them, but they were getting scary in the wet.

Michelin Pilot Sport All/Season
Best handling All Season I've driven on, wet or dry. Didn't feel like I gave up too much in performance over the stock Michelin Pilot Sport summer tires on my other car. Only drawback, was they only lasted 20,000 miles. Granted this was on my G35 Coupe, which I can't rotate the tires.... Snow handling was actually fairly good, as I managed the last snow storm in my RWD G35 tires ok, while my wife got stranded in the snow with the Pilot HXMX on our TL. Would've gotten this tire again, except it's a little spendy for how many miles I got out of them. However, I've heard from others that got much better treadlife.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS:
Handsdown better than every other tire I've run, except for the Pilot Sport All/SEason. I'm still trying to decide how they compare performance wise, but they are close. However, only reason for my hesitence is because of a skid-out I had with these on my G35, but that was attributed to theses tires being 1/10" bigger than the Pilot Sport A/S, which messed up the stability control, which caused me to spin-out. (I was running these on the backs, and Pilot Sport All/Season with 60% tread on the front). I've since replaced the fronts with RE960AS, and the handling is back to normal, but I'm still a little leary in hairpin turns. I'm probably just still chicken.

I also have these on our TL, and they are definately hands down better than the Pilot HXMX in every way. They have a 40,000 mile warranty to boot. (Only one in this tire class). They seem grippier than the Toyo Proxes 4 I ran on our 2G TL, but that could be attributed to 2G/3G differences.

I haven't run the 960AS in the snow yet, but they ranked better than the Pilot Sport A/S which I've found to be fairly good in the snow, and I believe they rank near the ContiExtremeContact in the snow, which I found to be awesome in the snow. We'll see this winter.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by avs007
I've run a bunch of different A/S tires, so here's my 2 cents on each of them:

Goodyear Eagle-RSA: Crap. Don't even consider
Hope no one confuses these with the F1's. There are now a bunch of Goodyear Eagles.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagle_allTires.html
Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Hope no one confuses these with the F1's. There are now a bunch of Goodyear Eagles.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/eagle_allTires.html
Hopefully there is no confusion, because the RS-A is I believe a "High Performance A/S", wheras the F1 is a "Ultra High Performance A/S".

I wish the F1 A/S came out a few months earlier, cause I might have opted to try those out instead of the RE960AS.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by avs007
Hopefully there is no confusion, because the RS-A is I believe a "High Performance A/S", wheras the F1 is a "Ultra High Performance A/S".

I wish the F1 A/S came out a few months earlier, cause I might have opted to try those out instead of the RE960AS.
They 1st hit the market in July. I obviously haven't tried them on snow yet, but I really like what I've experienced so far on both wet and dry roads.

You should be alright with the 960's ............
Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
if you really want really good dry handling, get the Evo 8 OEM tires - Advan A046. It only comes in one size (specially-made for the Evo) and is ironically the same size as the OEM TL tires (235/45 ZR17).

I plan on mounting a set as soon as I wear out the Michelins.