What aftermarket coilovers would you recommend? Eliminate wheel gap. Improve handling

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What aftermarket coilovers would you recommend? Eliminate wheel gap. Improve handling

I have an 06 6MT with 137k. Stock suspension setup. OE 17" wheels. A lot of people feel the stock suspension is too stiff, but I don't feel this way. I tend to like a firm suspension. With that being said, I'm wanting to eliminate wheel gap & improve handling. I DO NOT feel I need a "more comfortable" (softer) ride. I simply want a reliable, quality set of coilovers that will eliminate wheel gap & improve handling & body roll (the body roll right now is bothering me even with my summer tires, Michelin PSS), but could drop a little lower if I decided I wanted to. I've done a handful of hours of reading up and am thinking Tein SA possibly, but what do you know? Thoughts and opinions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OculiAquilae; 02-22-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I've been using Tein Street Advance for about 20,000kms and so far they're great. Adjustable height and stiffness, quality brand, and inexpensive.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
First, I've never known the stock suspension to be too stiff, the rates are probably 6F/3R if that. Most after-market coil-overs default to 12F/6R which is effectively double the stiffness that you have. NONE ride as soft as stock, period. Having said this, if increasing stiffness doesn't bother you, then the Tein Street Advance mentioned above is a great choice. I went with the BC Racing's and I'm happy, but they are certainly stiffer than the Tein's.
The following users liked this post:
OculiAquilae (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
BC's, ISC, or Tein Street Advance or Flex - those three options at least you give height adjustability AND dampening control...
Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alex.Leslie
I've been using Tein Street Advance for about 20,000kms and so far they're great. Adjustable height and stiffness, quality brand, and inexpensive.
Good to know. That's kinda what I was thinking and exactly what I've been looking for. Know what they're expected life is? I know it'll largely vary depending on roads, driving style, etc, but jw. I'd rather spend more and get a set that'll last longer.

Originally Posted by VisualEchos
First, I've never known the stock suspension to be too stiff, the rates are probably 6F/3R if that. Most after-market coil-overs default to 12F/6R which is effectively double the stiffness that you have. NONE ride as soft as stock, period. Having said this, if increasing stiffness doesn't bother you, then the Tein Street Advance mentioned above is a great choice. I went with the BC Racing's and I'm happy, but they are certainly stiffer than the Tein's.
I personally don't find it too stiff, but a surprising amount of people do. At least on the manual. I know it has an 'upgraded suspension' over the auto, but idk how the stiffness compares exactly, especially being that I haven't been able to find the spring rates on the OE suspension.
How do you like your BC's? They've been my #2 choice, simply due to price. And I know 'you get what you pay for,' but I like to know what exactly I'm getting. And no, stiff doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't buck me out of my seat over pavement cracks haha but seriously. I love a good suspension. If I decided to go Tein SF, then I'm almost more inclined to go BC, possibly even get the Swift springs? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Boosejars
BC's, ISC, or Tein Street Advance or Flex - those three options at least you give height adjustability AND dampening control...
I've looked into them all, and leaning towards Tein SA or SF, or BC.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by OculiAquilae
How do you like your BC's?
I love them, other than the fact that I got the normal 12/6 and it's too harsh for me. The rep corrected that issue quickly though, and sent me some 10/4 springs, as well as new dampers. I'll be installing them this Summer. The quality is top notch.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Advanced

I love them, other than the fact that I got the normal 12/6 and it's too harsh for me. The rep corrected that issue quickly though, and sent me some 10/4 springs, as well as new dampers. I'll be installing them this Summer. The quality is top notch.
How so were they too stiff? Sounds like a dumb question, but basically I'm just wanting as specific an answer as possible so as I can try and see how it would relate to me, and help me determine my spring stiffness. If I do go with BC, which the more research I do, the more inclined I am to get them, I've been thinking 12k/8k so as to match the weight distribution of the vehicle itself. Maybe even 12k/10k if I keep my subs, but I kinda wanna get rid of them simply due the added weight (roughly 150lbs). Plus when you have exhaust....you don't need music, right?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Andrew

How so were they too stiff? Sounds like a dumb question, but basically I'm just wanting as specific an answer as possible so as I can try and see how it would relate to me, and help me determine my spring stiffness. If I do go with BC, which the more research I do, the more inclined I am to get them, I've been thinking 12k/8k so as to match the weight distribution of the vehicle itself. Maybe even 12k/10k if I keep my subs, but I kinda wanna get rid of them simply due the added weight (roughly 150lbs). Plus when you have exhaust....you don't need music, right?
Like I said before, stock base auto springs are probably 6/3...and the BC's are 12/3, so there's your answer. Just to put up with the ride I'm having to under-dampen them. The rears are all the way soft, and the fronts are half way.

Now, before you go thinking I'm old and can't handle a harsh ride, my other car is a Lotus Exige. For my daily driver I want comfort, and that's what the TL is for me, so I want it softer than 12/6...MUCH softer.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
When I had to choose. It was either BC with Swift Springs or Tein Street Flex, I went Tein b/c of the convenience and it's amazing!

But I heard a lot of good thing about BC+Swift.

=)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Like I said before, stock base auto springs are probably 6/3...and the BC's are 12/3, so there's your answer. Just to put up with the ride I'm having to under-dampen them. The rears are all the way soft, and the fronts are half way.

Now, before you go thinking I'm old and can't handle a harsh ride, my other car is a Lotus Exige. For my daily driver I want comfort, and that's what the TL is for me, so I want it softer than 12/6...MUCH softer.
Thanks for the explanation! And no, just because you wanted a "softer" (than 12/6) suspension doesn't make me think you're old and can't handle a harsh ride
I saw that in your sig. How do you like the Exige? I'd love to own one as a summer toy some day! What's your history with it? i.e. mileage when purchased & current, maintenance & repairs, etc?

Originally Posted by LiquidXTS
When I had to choose. It was either BC with Swift Springs or Tein Street Flex, I went Tein b/c of the convenience and it's amazing!

=)
That's exactly what I'm currently leaning towards, but I haven't been able to find much info regarding the differences between the BS springs and Swift springs. Have you any knowledge on this that you'd like to share?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Andrew

How do you like the Exige? I'd love to own one as a summer toy some day! What's your history with it? i.e. mileage when purchased & current, maintenance & repairs, etc?
- Love it
- Bought it with 10K on the clock in 2009, has 30K now
- Almost no maintenance or repairs, Toyota powerplant and trans

I've had faster cars, but none like this one, none that made me feel like Senna.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Advanced

- Love it
- Bought it with 10K on the clock in 2009, has 30K now
- Almost no maintenance or repairs, Toyota powerplant and trans

I've had faster cars, but none like this one, none that made me feel like Senna.
Figured! That's good to hear. I've heard mixed things regarding their maintenance and repairs, even though they are built on a Toyota powerplant and trans! Thanks.
Yeah, that light weight combined with decent power and suspension. They're not insanely fast, but they're very quick and very nimble, and for me at least, that's what makes driving the most fun! Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
...Know what they're expected life is? I know it'll largely vary depending on roads, driving style, etc, but jw....
IMO, any of the quality aftermarket (all three set-ups your looking at) or OEM suspension components will last about the same amount of time. I believe the rule of thumb is 160,000km/100,000M, and after that you'll just want to keep a close eye on them for leaks and rebound.

I appreciate that you're trying to learn all you can and gather a bunch of anecdotal reviews, but ultimately what you're trying to find out is very subjective. All three will give you the visual impact you want, and all three will provide a fully adjustable upgrade over the stock set-up. Will you like Brand X more than Brand Y? Unless you buy both you'll likely never know, but no matter which you buy I can't see you hating it. There's a reason these are the most popular set-ups around.

My suggestion would be to check your budget, check to find the best prices and install rates (if you don't want to wrench them in yourself - warning, the rear install requires the rear seats to be removed) and pull the trigger.

Lastly, consider doing a camber kit at the same time. Since lowering your car will cause a natural camber to occur, if you want to get back to neutral camber you'll need to be able to adjust it. There are lots of threads on that topic, and I'm definitely not an expert, but I chose Eibach. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LiquidXTS

=)
You don't necessarily need to upgrade to swifts, i'm on BC's with standard springs running 12F/10R, and i'm fine. Swifts are generally intended for those looking to slam and run fender to lip. You can get any spring rates with the BC standard springs without additional cost, whereas upgrading to swifts will cost more.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know why Visual and Boose haven't linked you back to this thread yet, but we talked about BC's at great length and it convinced me to get them as well. I ended up not picking them up the time because being a student makes me every penny that I save for the TL on things that aren't as fun. Anyway, it's some good reading about Visual trying to get the spring rates right.

https://acurazine.com/forums/tires-w...g-them-931984/
Boosejars (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Pro

Good looking out GMan - most of the time i'm quicker to type, lmao, rather than think on past threads lol - appreciate it!