What are the advantages/disadvantages of multiple piece rims? (2 piece, 3 piece, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of multiple piece rims? (2 piece, 3 piece, etc)

??
Old 05-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So that if you bend the lip, you can just replace the hoop, versus buying a whole new wheel.

Also 3 peice wheels are generally forged where as a lot of 1 piece wheels are usually cast.

DIsadvantage is that they cost much more per wheel.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
6MT & LSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multipiece wheels are usually a lot lighter in weight
Old 05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by ndx2
multipiece wheels are usually a lot lighter in weight
Wouldn't a forged one-piece be lighter than a forged three-piece? Also...what is stronger...a 1-piece or a 2/3-piece (assuming both are forged)?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:22 AM
8th Gear

A caveat for those unexperienced with 3 pc wheels with a reversed rim config, water can collect behind the face of the wheel and later leak out. So after washing your car, you'll need to get behind the wheel's face and dry the water sitting on the inside rim/drop area. The wheels look bitchin and all, but by no means low maintenance. I'll post a picture once I get one for the "thousand words" to better explain where the water sits. Hasta.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:03 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mpken
A caveat for those unexperienced with 3 pc wheels with a reversed rim config, water can collect behind the face of the wheel and later leak out. So after washing your car, you'll need to get behind the wheel's face and dry the water sitting on the inside rim/drop area. The wheels look bitchin and all, but by no means low maintenance. I'll post a picture once I get one for the "thousand words" to better explain where the water sits. Hasta.
Here's an image of the backside where water can collect.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:57 PM
10th Gear

How much extra work are we talking

Originally Posted by mpken
Here's an image of the backside where water can collect.

How much extra time on average are we talking when it comes to the up keep of 3 piece wheels? I currently have my eye on the new RonJon "Devotions" and the Fosse "Speedster 3pc". There is also a Foose Speedster that is not a 3-pc but looks the same. But I haven't made a final decision yet between the two wheels.

I dont mind a little extra time (i.e. 5 minutes) to dry the wheels after a wash but sometimes I like to wash and run. Dont usually camp out at each tire everytime I wash the car. On the weekends is one thing, but that mid-week quick wash is another story.

Would you recommend me staying away from the 3 pc if I typically dont have the time to spend on thoroughly drying the wheels?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:19 PM
6MT & LSD

use a leaf blower to dry 'em. no need to sit and dry each wheel with a cloth. i know some people who actually dry their entire car with a leaf blower. works like magic, apparently.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Royal Flush

use a leaf blower to dry 'em. no need to sit and dry each wheel with a cloth. i know some people who actually dry their entire car with a leaf blower. works like magic, apparently.

Indeed it does...especially if you have used multi applications of Zaino or any other high end product. The water literally flies off the car. I use a blower and the car is dried in a matter of minutes. I then use a cloth to get in all the nooks and crannies. Let me say...when its a sunny and humid day...drying a car in minutes as opposed to a hand dry that takes about a half hour is just plain smart....no matter how crazy you may look to your neighbors with a leaf blower to your car.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Republican TL
Indeed it does...especially if you have used multi applications of Zaino or any other high end product. The water literally flies off the car. I use a blower and the car is dried in a matter of minutes. I then use a cloth to get in all the nooks and crannies. Let me say...when its a sunny and humid day...drying a car in minutes as opposed to a hand dry that takes about a half hour is just plain smart....no matter how crazy you may look to your neighbors with a leaf blower to your car.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

never would have thought of that! thanks! what does a typical leaf blower cost these days?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Renaissance Man

A major advantage for manufacturers with a multi-piece wheel is the ability to manufacture one wheel center for countless fitments, including widths, offsets, lug spacing, and center bore. All that needs to be changed to accomodate these are the rim sections and post-machining. A one-piece wheel usually only has as many fitments as there are lug patterns, as offset and width cannot be easily changed.

Additionally, using a standard center design allows the wheels to be forged much cheaper, as only one forging die needs to be made to produce all combinations. A forged one-piece wheel is often so expensive because each fitment requires its own die. Casting different fitments is much cheaper, as dies do not need to be made for the investment casting that wheels usually involve.

This is what enables HRE and iForged to stay in business. Effectively, their custom wheels are just custom wheel assemblies. They take their standard center, bore the proper mounting holes, and assemble it with different rim sections. And charge exhorbitant prices.