Wandering the road...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wandering the road...

Hi AZ,

My '05 TL seems a bit wonky on the roads. I've noticed that it's very sensitive to banked highway lanes, rutted out roads (which are common where I live in VT) especially on the highway to the extent that when I change lanes the steering wheel shifts in my hands as the car moves over the undulations between the lanes. If the highway lanes are banked I have to hold the wheel a little bit to one side to keep a straight course (maybe 5 degrees of wheel rotation). When I'm braking to a stop the wheel also sometimes pulls a little left or right (neither one more than the other) if the road isn't perfectly flat and sometimes when I'm accelerating from a stop the wheel will pull a bit especially when turning. I know what torque steer feels like and this is a little... different. The steering still feels nice and tight and predictable and the car is totally driveable as-is but I'm wondering if the sensitivity I'm experiencing, particularly on the highway where I do most of my driving, is normal or something to address.

Some background - I bought the car in May with 160k and am about to hit 170k. Since buying I've done new rear brakes, driver's side control arm bushings, and new rear sway bar bushings and one end link (front, I believe). Struts were replaced at some point by the previous owner. Tires are decent and steering is straight when wheel is centered.

Thanks!
Roy
Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Alignment... Get one
Old 08-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't offer any help but I am having the same issue. My car has the same mileage. From what I have read it sounds like control arm bushings. I am taking it to the mechanic hopefully later this week so we will see.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Tire size and type/make and air pressure?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Lol. My 164K TSX started doing the same. I'm almost positive its the tyres.

I'll have to rotate them and check back.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Tires are Milestar all-seasons (v-rated) with about 50% tread remaining. They've been rotated and that didn't have any impact on steering. I check pressure frequently and typically run ~35 psi all around.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Not saying this is the problem, but here's some reading:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47
Old 08-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Not saying this is the problem, but here's some reading:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47
Very helpful, thanks!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I ended up getting just my lower control arm bushings replaced, and it fixed the wandering I would say about 80%. Mechanics also found that the rack and pinion is lightly leaking, and reminded me I need new tires soon ( I know I know). I will be getting new tires and remanufactured rack and pinion next, and I'm sure that will solve the problem completely. I am holding off for now because they quoted $1100 for parts and labor for the rack and pinion. But as far as bang for your buck, the LCA bushings will probably yield the best results.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

Wandering the road... Part 2 (with pic)

I posted a week or so ago about issues I've been having with my car wandering the road and at the time figured it was just tramlining and I should learn to live with it. Yesterday something seemed to change and now I have a hard pull to the right and a pronounced vibration through the wheel and somewhat throughout the car (though mild) between 55-70 mph (independent of throttle, gear, etc). I had the front tires balanced tonight which reduced the vibration a little but did not make it go away and did nothing for the steering pull. The pull is most notable at higher speeds and I'm holding the wheel ~10 degrees left to keep the car straight.

I jacked the car up and attempted to wiggle each tire side-to-side and up-and-down. I found that the passenger side had a *little* bit of play side-to-side, and upon pulling it off it looked like the suspension components were in fine shape. All the ball joint boots were intact, sway bar link looked/felt solid, etc. From what I could see of the tie rod end on that side it appeared fine. BUT - I noticed that this part (axle?) is cracked and I'm not sure if it might have an impact on the issue I'm feeling. Anything else I should look for under there? I'd like to try to fix this myself if it's possible... though it seems like an alignment will be necessary at some point here.

I appreciate the help here... I'm really invested in keeping my car in good shape. It has 170k miles on it now and I'd like to hit 200k before I move on. Additional details - car is a 2005 TL/6M, I bought it at 160k and it seems to have been well-cared for prior to my ownership.

Photo: https://ibb.co/mNQ0zF
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
You would have been better served by keeping this all in the original thread so others can see the full history of what is going on.

From the pic you linked to, it looks like the damper thingy mabob on the axle has about had it. That itself should NOT cause a pull to one side, however be aware that there are some owners that have had their axle break at that location from what appears to be severe rust under that damper. Still guessing poor alignment or a failing bushing which is exactly what was suggested in the other thread. I would be taking a closer look at the ball joints, tie-rod ends, and the control arm bushings to confirm they are actually in good shape.

Last edited by thoiboi; 09-08-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Having a similar issue with the car pulling hard to the right. Doesn't seem to matter if I am on the accelerator or not, but the pull is more pronounced when on the pedal.

I have had multiple alignments in the last month. I have been told all of the suspension and steering components look fine with no play in any of them. I even had the front right tire replaced due to mechanic suggesting a radial pull from the tire. His next suggestion was to swap the front wheels and see if the problem persisted. If that doesn't fix the issues, I am going to take it back to him next week after the hurricane passes through.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
You would have been better served by keeping this all in the original thread so others can see the full history of what is going on.

ON it

Merged

also fixed your NOT post as well.
The following users liked this post:
Jackass (09-08-2017)