Volk, PIAA, Racing Hart, 5 Zigen, Konig,Enkei

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Volk, PIAA, Racing Hart, 5 Zigen, Konig,Enkei

Hello, the 07 TL-S shopper here again. e-Wheelz seams to have several that claim to fit 04+TL. Please give me your opinion of any and all of these brands. Model and size, quality. If you own one, please post a pic. I was looking at these for my 07 ASM TL-S: 5Zigen sports engine, MK6 super silver, Hyper 5ZR. PIAA Super mesh 2 piece. Volk GT-S, GT-C (sweet). Racing Hart J5 PRO, R5 PRO, Lexion 503. Konig Crosshair. Enkei Bortex RPM 2. I really prefer a 5 spoke design with SS lip, but some mesh style with SS lip also look nice.

WHAT do you think????
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
usmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should check out some Works Vs-xx.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what I know:

Most Volk Racing models will fit the Brembo calipers. The GT Series have forged rim and cast disc/face. They are quality wheels, but not that light. They are still built in Japan by Rays Engineering. Rays also makes G-Games, Gram Lights, and some others. Most of Rays products are lighter than average but some others are just OK, like Versus. Rays is involved in racing. Rays also makes the OEM wheels for a number of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Rays also makes some of NISMO's wheels.

The J5 Pro and R5 Pro are not Racing Harts. They are RH Evolution wheels, totally different animals. The multipiece rims are made in Japan and designed by Dazz Motorsport in Socal. They should be OK but not great. The 1-pc wheels are made in either Thailand, China, Taiwan, or other Asian countries, but not Japan.

Some 5Zigen rims are still made in Japan, but the cheaper ones are made in China or Thailand. I know the old school 5Zigens are built to last. I'm not sure about the new ones, that are built in countries other than Japan. I'm pretty sure the MK6 are NOT made in Japan. I'm not sure about the Sports Engine. Looking at the price, they're probably not made in Japan.

Lexion is built by Rays Engineering, the maker of Volk Racing. They are quality wheels.

I'm not 100% sure if PIAA makes their own rims. I think they just design the wheels and outsource the manufacturing processes, probably to Enkei.

I have owned a few Japan-made Enkeis and they are strong. Affordable and some of them are very strong and pretty light. Some of the rims available in the US are not made in Japan anymore. Some of them are cast in the US or other countries. Enkei also makes most of Honda/Acura's OEM wheels. Enkei is also involved in racing.

I don't know much about Konigs, but I know they're not in the same level in term of quality compared to the big boys out there like Volk Racing, Work, etc.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 260 HP
Here's what I know:

Most Volk Racing models will fit the Brembo calipers. The GT Series have forged rim and cast disc/face. They are quality wheels, but not that light. They are still built in Japan by Rays Engineering. Rays also makes G-Games, Gram Lights, and some others. Most of Rays products are lighter than average but some others are just OK, like Versus. Rays is involved in racing. Rays also makes the OEM wheels for a number of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. Rays also makes some of NISMO's wheels.

The J5 Pro and R5 Pro are not Racing Harts. They are RH Evolution wheels, totally different animals. The multipiece rims are made in Japan and designed by Dazz Motorsport in Socal. They should be OK but not great. The 1-pc wheels are made in either Thailand, China, Taiwan, or other Asian countries, but not Japan.

Some 5Zigen rims are still made in Japan, but the cheaper ones are made in China or Thailand. I know the old school 5Zigens are built to last. I'm not sure about the new ones, that are built in countries other than Japan. I'm pretty sure the MK6 are NOT made in Japan. I'm not sure about the Sports Engine. Looking at the price, they're probably not made in Japan.

Lexion is built by Rays Engineering, the maker of Volk Racing. They are quality wheels.

I'm not 100% sure if PIAA makes their own rims. I think they just design the wheels and outsource the manufacturing processes, probably to Enkei.

I have owned a few Japan-made Enkeis and they are strong. Affordable and some of them are very strong and pretty light. Some of the rims available in the US are not made in Japan anymore. Some of them are cast in the US or other countries. Enkei also makes most of Honda/Acura's OEM wheels. Enkei is also involved in racing.

I don't know much about Konigs, but I know they're not in the same level in term of quality compared to the big boys out there like Volk Racing, Work, etc.
Thankyou Sir I am leaning towards the Volk GT-C if it fits. I saw it on a few cars and it looked real nice. I saw a package with Volk GT-S 19"x 8" with Hankook K104 235-35-19 TOTAL $2974 I little out of my price range, but OH WELL You get what you pay for if they are quality wheels. I just don't know about Hankook, which are made by Michelin. Thanks again
Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 AM
All the world's a stage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Volk GT-C's look really good. But, I wouldn't waste a good set of rims with some Hankook tires. Just my opinion. If you're going to spend the $$$ on a nice set of rims, you might as well just go all out and get a good set of tires as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by -sNaFu*
Volk GT-C's look really good. But, I wouldn't waste a good set of rims with some Hankook tires. Just my opinion. If you're going to spend the $$$ on a nice set of rims, you might as well just go all out and get a good set of tires as well.
YAH I have always bought Goodyear, BF, Dunlop, Bridgestone. I am not sure if I should get Max Summer, or something thats better in the rain. I will have the stock Michelin Pilot HX MXM 4 for winter. So I was thinking Potenza Pole RE 050A, but some people say its too MAXIMUM.
What do you have, and would suggest.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hankook is a Korean brand.

If you want to go with GT-S 19x8, the +30 offset and high pad (A offset) will fit your car and clear the brakes. The other option is 19x8.5 with +36 offset and also high pad (A offset). You can go with 235/35 R19 or 245/35 R19 respectively.

The GT-C will fit as well. Face 1 GT-C at 19x8 with +33 offset (high pad) or 19x8.5 with +39 offset.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 260 HP
Hankook is a Korean brand.

If you want to go with GT-S 19x8, the +30 offset and high pad (A offset) will fit your car and clear the brakes. The other option is 19x8.5 with +36 offset and also high pad (A offset). You can go with 235/35 R19 or 245/35 R19 respectively.

The GT-C will fit as well. Face 1 GT-C at 19x8 with +33 offset (high pad) or 19x8.5 with +39 offset.
I saw a G35 coupe staggered with the Volk GT-C looked really great. I wonder how much they weigh. And cost. Are they about the same price as the Volk GT-S?

You have been EXTREMELY helpfull Thanks. I help a lot of people with questions on a audio/video forum about home theater and HD projectors. "Big Screen Forums" I learned most of my theater knowledge there. I am a newbie here. I feel stupid here, where I am the answer man over there
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

The GT series wheels weigh about the same for the size across the board. My GT-V wheels weigh about 26 lbs for 19x8.5. Expect the GT-C to weigh about the same.

I'm not sure about cost but if you go to www.rayswheels.co.jp, you can see their prices in Yen. The US $ MSRP I believe is about equivalent to the Yen prices. e-wheelz.com usually gives you about 15% discount from the MSRP, unless the wheels you want are in very high demand or Rays USA doesn't have them in stock.

That's how this Internet works... We can't stop learning about anything. I'm glad to be of help here.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

Wow